Hold Me Tight

The House
Please log in to read the full chapter

Fuel is needed to keep functioning. To be able to run efficiently.  To deprive the tool that needs it, you don’t expect it to work and run how you need it. So why do you expect me too?  I can’t think. I can’t function.

 

                                                                                                                 ******

 

 

My family is above poor but we are not close to being rich either.  With that being the case, I’m rich in may heart. I don’t let that stop me from enjoying everything and everyday to its fullest because its more to life than money. Like food for example.

 

      I was laughing around with my close friend Park Jimin. We were walking home from school and joking around. I pushed him in the shoulder after laughing at what he was saying. He’s a unique person. I became friends with him when he moved here a year ago. He came with some issues that caused him to moved but he didn’t want to talk about it. Of course, I wasn’t gonna push him about it till he’s comfortable enough. All I know is that he goes to therapy just about every Thursday after school.

 

 

      Jimin stumbled from my shove and almost fell over, but he quickly regained his balance and shot me a playful glare. "Hey, watch it!" he exclaimed, chuckling. I  grinned mischievously before breaking into a sprint, knowing Jimin would chase after me. The two friends raced down the quiet street, their laughter filling the evening air as they enjoyed their carefree youth. As they reached the familiar corner where they would part ways, I slowed down to catch my breath. I could feel my cheeks flushed from excitement.

 

 

      Jimin finally caught up, panting heavily but smiling from ear to ear. "You're too fast, Jin," he gasped out between breaths. I  just shrugged nonchalantly, my eyes sparkling with mirth. "I've always been the fastest in our group," I  teased, earning a playful shove from Jimin. We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways, looking forward to another day filled with adventures and laughter in our small but humble neighborhood.

 

 

      The sun had begun its descent, casting a warm golden glow over the quiet neighborhood. I quickened my pace as I approached the familiar sight of my family's small home at the end of the street. As I entered the modest living room, I was greeted by the comforting aroma of my mother's cooking and the sound of my of older sibling yelling on the game.

 

 

      I smiled fondly at the way my home was, feeling grateful for the simple joys that filled their home. My father was sitting at the table, poring over some papers with a furrowed brow. I sighed as I watched. I  knew that times had been tough for our family lately, but my father always did his best to provide for them. I quietly joined my father at the table, offering to help in any way that I could. My father looked up, his tired eyes softening at the sight of me sitting.

 

 

      With a small smile, he handed me stack of papers and said, "Let's work on this together, son." And as we sat side by side, pouring over the numbers and calculations, I couldn't help but feel a swell of pride and love for my family. Despite my age, I had to grow up quickly and to help in anyway that I can without dropping out of school. Even with their struggles, we were always there for each other, supporting and lifting one another up.

 

       As the sky outside darkened and the stars began to twinkle in the night sky, my father and I  worked diligently, our heads bent over the table in quiet determination. There was a sense of camaraderie and unity in the air, a silent understanding that together, we could overcome any obstacle that came our way.  As I glanced at my family - my hardworking father, my caring mother, and my dependable older brother - I knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, as long as we had each other, we would always find a way to weather the storm. With a newfound sense of determination burning in my chest, I looked at my father with a determined gaze and said, "We can do this, Dad. We'll get through this together."

 

 

      My father beamed with pride at my words, a flicker of hope reigniting in his tired eyes. With a firm nod, he placed a hand on my shoulder and replied, "Yes, son. Together, we are strong." The room was filled with a quiet resolve as we continued to work side by side, the sound of our pens scratching against paper is the only sound in the still night. Despite the challenges that loomed ahead and the uncertainty of our  future, I felt a sense of peace knowing that we were in this together.

 

 

      As the clock struck midnight, marking the end of our long night of hard work, my father and I shared a tired but proud smile. We had made progress, we had faced our struggles head-on, and most importantly, we had done it as a family. With a final glance at my father, I  knew that no matter what tomorrow may bring, we were ready to face it together, one step at a time.

 

                                                                                                         **********

 

 

      I woke up , ready to get the day started. I stood and stretched as I rubbed my eyes. Mid Yawn, I stopped moving. It was quiet. Very quiet. I focused on my nose. No smell of any kind. No pans rattling. My brother isn’t making any noise. That was a strange and unusual thing that have not happened before. Even when my parents were dead tired, mom always, always made breakfast. Which made me feel uneasy. And nervous to go see what’s going on.

 

 

      Nervously, I left my room and started to move slowly down the hall. Something is wrong. I can just feel it. The house feels thick with tension. I glance at my brother’s room before heading down the stairs. It was empty and made up with no sight of him.

 

 

      Making it down the stairs, I peered around the corner and spotted my parents at the table, whispering with serious and scary looks. I gulp, wondering if I should just leave now for school before they noticed me. When I backed up, I bumped into a table , making the lamp rock.

 

 

      “Jin?” My mom voice called out. “Can you come in here please.” I walked around the corner and stood in front of my parents. “Good morning.. is something wrong” My parents looked at each other for a minute before sighing.

 

 

      My mom took me by my hands and sat me down. “Honey, well you know how we have been having some trouble lately…but you don’t know the gravity of the situation” I watched my mom’s face as I glanced at my dad’s stoney face. “We are losing money. Lot’s of it. We might even go bankruptcy. S0 a lot of things will have to be cut out. Especially food. With how much that cost, we’ll be able to save more.”

 

 

      My heart sank as my parents revealed the gravity of their financial situation. The news hit me like a ton of bricks, the weight of responsibility settling heavily on his parents shoulders could be seen easily. The harsh reality that threatened to tear their family apart made a dark cloud hang over them, the storm waiting to hit. His brother..

 

 

      “What about hyung? Does he knows and where is he ? I haven’t seen him” I heard my dad clear his throat and I turned my gaze towards him. “We sent him to your grandparents. We figured it would be best to only take care of one you while having help with the other. Since you. The youngest, we let them take him for a while.” Oh..so we’re gonna be separate then… I wonder how long we are gonna be apart.

 

 

      As they sat in somber silence, my mother spoke softly, her voice trembling with emotion. "We will have to tighten our belts even more, cut back wherever we can," she said, her gaze filled with determination despite the worry etched on her face. I admired my mother's strength in the face of adversity, her unwavering resolve to keep their family together no matter the cost. His father then interjected, his voice weary but resolute. "Jin, you're old enough now to understand the situation. We will all have to make some sacrifice. I do hope you can be mature about this and understand.”

 

 

      Not being able to speak , I just nodded as I’m pulled into a hug by my mom. She cooing and rubbing the back of my head. Her whisper soothing of calm words are telling me not to worry. That as I a child, will have no worries. I believed her. As her child, I trusted my mother.

 

                                                                                                                                 **********

 

 

      It's fine for a few days. Even weeks. But when it start hitting the month,  that is when I started to go insane. I can’t concentrate. I have lost a lot of of my weight. I’m irritable and depression is sinking in fast. I’m lightheaded everyday and I ca

Please log in to read the full chapter