You

TaeNy One Shots
Title: You
Pairing: Taeyeon/ Tiffany 
Rating: PG
Genre: AU
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters. Fiction fiction fiction. 

Summary: What if the one that got away came back?

===

How are you? Are you doing well? I hope you are. Is he treating you right? I doubt it but I hope he is. It's been years but I can't help but think about you when it's raining. 

I had to carry those huge heavy boxes for you, you know. Because that dear boyfriend of yours was too busy at work that time. Too busy, huh... 

It was the day that I dreaded the most. It was the day when you had to move out and live with him. Why am I like this? It's not like there was something between us. We were only friends back then. 

I loved you but you loved him and he (which I still doubt until now) loved you back. Sad, huh? One-sided love is sad. But did I regret falling for you, someone whom I can never have? No. Because love is a beautiful thing. And I believe there's nothing wrong with loving someone who can never be yours.

I wonder what you're doing right now. You left 8 years ago. 8 years... From this very house. Sometimes I wonder why I stayed here. The memories kept on haunting me. But I invested in this house so much and I don't really mind being haunted by those lovely memories. 

I wish I had the courage to tell you the truth. But ruining our wonderful friendship was the last thing that I wanted. Are we even still friends? I haven't heard from you for years. 

Sometimes I stare at my phone, looking at the words staring back at me. It was just a simple Hi, how are you? But I can't seem to find the courage to send it. 

Do you still have the same number? There are nights when I want to call you so bad. Especially when I had a rough day at work. Or simply because I want to hear your voice. I missed you. So bad.

I miss you. I miss how you say my name. How you treat me so nice. How you listen to me when I need someone. How you give advices. Your laugh. Your smile. You.

I wonder what I will do if I suddenly see you. What will be the appropriate thing to do? Smile? Say, Hi, it's been so long! How are you? Or just simply stare at you? Thinking about the possibility of that happening makes my heart beat faster. I wonder if you look the same. But I'm sure you're just as beautiful as the last time I saw you.

Then there's a knock on the door. At this hour? It's quite late. Who would come and visit me at this hour? Nobody bothers to visit me. 

The knocking won't stop so I willed myself to stand up and walk towards the door. I flinched at the sound of thunder. Then I opened the door. 

"Hi."

8 years. It's been 8 years. I'm not hallucinating, right? This is not a dream, right? Am I seeing things?

"I'm so sorry."

Why are you even sorry? You didn't do anything wrong.

"Taeyeon?"

I stared at you. You look pale. You lost a lot of weight. You were soaked from the rain. Why didn't you bring an umbrella? 

"Taeyeon..."

I just stood there. Stiff. Unable to move. I don't know what to do as you hugged me. Crying. Why are you crying? 

"He..." 

The sobbing breaks my heart. So I lifted my trembling hand and brushed your hair gently. "Don't cry..." I cooed.

"He..." You pulled back and looked at me. The bright eyes that I knew so well weren't there anymore. The pair of sad eyes that I'm looking now... It breaks my heart. "You were right..." 

"Right?"

"He didn't love me."

I don't know what to say. 

"He left me for someone else."

I wanted to say something but I can't seem to find the right words so I hugged you instead. "I'm sorry..." I finally said.

You shook your head as you cried again.

"Let's go inside, it's quite cold out here." I pulled back and that's when I saw it. The pink umbrella I bought for you years ago. The color had faded but I'm pretty sure I gave you this one. I can't believe you kept it. No wonder you're soaked... "Is she your..."

"My daughter..."

I looked back at the little girl. It's like seeing a miniature version of you. How cute. "Hi, what's your name?" I stoop down to meet her eyes. 

The little girl moved closer to her mother. It's amazing how she looks exactly like you. With that pink dress and cute hat. 

"It's okay. She's my friend. Go on, introduce yourself." Her mother smiled at her, encouraging her.

"My name is Stephanie." The little girl timidly said. 

"Nice to meet you Stephanie, I'm Taeyeon." I smiled. "You have a pretty name. It suits you well." I patted her head. The way she smiles, there's no doubt you two are related. "Let's go in."

I already gave up the thought of seeing you again years ago. I thought I was over you. I really do. But I guess I was wrong.

===

I can't sleep. How can I if you're just a step away? Literally a step away. You're in my room. On my bed. And I'm here on the floor, lying down on the mattress I bought weeks ago. I admit I bought it impulsively. But looks like impulsive buying finally did me good.

I finally stood up after counting from one to one hundred. I watched the two of you sleeping so peacefully for a while before quietly leaving the room. Then I went to the kitchen and made myself a cup of tea. Chamomile. It smells nice and I hope I can finally fall asleep after drinking this.

The arms slipping around my waist obviously startled me. I haven't been hugged like this for years. It gives a sense of nostalgia and I don't know what to do about it.

"I should've listened to you." It came out as a whisper. Like you’re telling me the biggest secret that only I should know. "You were right. I'm so sorry." 

Why are you apologizing? There's nothing to apologize about. 

"Thank you for taking us in. I know it's troublesome. I'll try to find a place to move into as soon as I can."

I pried the arms away and turned around. "What are you talking about?" 

"I..."

"It's not troublesome. You can stay as long as you like. You can have your old room back. The house is big enough for the three of us. I don't mind. Not at all." 

You didn't answer as you tried to stop the tears from coming out. 

"You can stay here forever if you want." I smiled to convince you that I really don't mind.

"But what if you have visitors?" 

I chuckled, knowing what it really meant. "I'm too old for hook-ups."

"You're not dating anyone?" 

"I stopped looking. It's not that I gave up. If it's meant to be then it's meant to be. Maybe that person will show themselves out of nowhere. Who knows?" I shrugged nonchalantly. 

"But I don't want to bother you." 

"You're never a bother. And I could use some company too." I smiled again and it grew wider when you smiled back. There's still a hint of sadness into it but it’s better than nothing.

"But it's not just me..."

"Your daughter is old enough. I'm sure she behaves well." 

"That she is..."

"Then I don't see why you can't stay here with me." 

"Are you sure?"

"I am absolutely sure. I can also take care of her if you're busy or something. It's safer and saves you a lot of money. I heard babysitters are not as affordable as before." 

"How did you know? You don't even have a child." You chuckled. 

"I happened to hear these two ladies talking about hiring a babysitter for their children." 

"So you're into eavesdropping now?"

"Hey, it's not my fault that they were talking loudly. The whole convenience store could hear them, you know." I grinned. I'm happy to see you like this again. "Anyway... Stay. Just stay here."

You were a bit hesitant but you nodded nonetheless. 

"Cool. Now let's go back to sleep."

===

I never knew living under the same roof with you again would be this hard. It's really hard to control something that doesn’t want to be controlled.

Each passing day, my feelings for you grow deeper. I feel like my heart is going to burst any moment now. Confessing how I feel about you is just so impossible right now. I'm pretty sure engaging in a romantic relationship is not in your list of priorities. You’ve been busy balancing work and taking care of Stephanie. And I'm pretty sure you only see me as a good friend. So I just have to it up and be grateful that I can see you every day. 

===

You just came back after sending Stephanie to school. You look tired. You’ve been working too hard. And it breaks my heart to see you like this. "You should rest."

"I want to but I still have work to do." 

"No, just rest. I'll take care of the chores."

"But..."

"No buts. Go to your room and sleep. You look very tired. You know you can't get sick. I'll pick up Stephanie later. You don't have to worry."

"Thank you, Taeyeon." I tried to calm myself as you hugged me. It's so warm and I would like to stay like this forever.

"No need to thank me." 

=== 

"Taeyeon?" The sound of her voice filled with worry woke me up.

"Hm...?"

"Taeyeon, please wake up."

"What is it?" I asked, still disoriented.

"Stephanie..."

"What about her?"

"She's having a high fever..." That alarming tone finally snapped me out of my sleepy state.

"Wha... Where is she?" 

"In the room..."

"H-hey, don't cry..." I tried not to panic. "Have you given her any medicine?" 

"No, I haven't." 

"Do you want me to take her to the hospital or just buy some medicine?" I looked at the clock. It's a bit late but I know there's a 24-hour drugstore somewhere nearby. 

"I..."

"You stay here with her, okay? I'll just go to the nearby drugstore and buy some medicine. If the fever won't go away, then we'll take her to the hospital." 

She just stared at me, making me nervous.

"Don't worry, she's going to be alright." I reached out and squeezed your hand to reassure you. "I'll be real quick." 

===

"Congrats Steph, I'm so proud of you. I'm pretty sure your mom is just as proud." I smiled as I patted the little girl's head.

"But she's not here..."

"She really wanted to come and watch you but she has to work. She already told you about that, right?"

She nodded.

"I filmed you to show her how great you did today. I'm sure she wouldn't want to miss the next recitals after watching it." 

"Really?"

"Really." I smiled when I saw her brighten up and hugged me.

"Will you be there too?" Those round hopeful eyes make me wanna squeal in delight.

"Of course I will. Me and your mom will be there to cheer on you." 

"Thank you aunt Taetae." 

"No worries, anything for our little angel." 

===

"Shh... Be quiet." 

I chuckled as she looked at me seriously. 

We heard the sound of the door being unlocked soon after and prepared ourselves behind the couch. 

"Are you ready?" I whispered.

She nodded. That cheeky smile totally reminds me of you. 

The door soon opened and we peeked behind the armrest as we watched you looking around, probably wondering why the lights are off. I started to light the candles before you could turn on the switch.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, dear Mommy, happy birthday to you." Stephanie sang it with her cute voice as I followed her towards you. "Happy birthday Mommy." She kissed your cheek as you stoop down. 

The look of surprise on your face is quite a sight. I don't know why but you look so beautiful right now. "Happy birthday, Tiffany." I said as I held out the cake. "Make a wish then blow the candles." 

You slowly stood up. You clasped your hands and closed your eyes then it fluttered open before you blew the candles. "Thank you." You whispered.

I was totally taken aback. All these years, you had never kissed me on the cheek. Not even a playful one. "W-welcome." I looked at Stephanie instead to hide my pink cheeks. That's so silly of me, you can't practically see me since it's dark but I still avoided your eyes. 

The lights are now on and it's quite funny because you’re as flustered as I am. "Me and aunt Taetae made this for you." Good thing Stephanie was there to distract us. 

"It's so pretty! Thank you, baby." You lifted your daughter up and kissed her cheek. "Let's go to the dining and eat the cake." 

The little girl nodded happily and reached out, pulling me in. "Aunt Taetae should get a kiss too. She worked hard." Oh, this kid. 

"W-what?" I chuckled, finding it endearing to see you like this. 

"You give me a kiss on the cheek everytime I work hard. You should give her one too." Stephanie looked at her mom expectantly.

Your cheeks were pink as you looked at me shyly. 

"Come on, Mommy, don't be shy." Oh, this kid. Is she doing this on purpose?

"Yeah, don't be shy, Mommy." I teasingly said and grinned when you hit my arm lightly. 

I felt like I'm the luckiest person alive when your lips were pressed against my cheek for the second time. I smiled when you pulled back but you were quick to avoid my eyes. "Now let's eat this cake!" I exclaimed as I walked to the dining, feeling giddy and all thanks to that little kid.

===

I watched you as you tucked Stephanie in, looking comfortable under the pink blanket. "My little girl is not so little anymore." You said, clearly a bit sad about not sleeping in the same room with her. Your daughter insisted that she was old enough to have her own room and that she is not afraid of sleeping alone.

"That she is." I smiled when you looked at me.

It didn't take long before we left the room. We're now standing in the hallway, just outside our respective rooms. 

"Thank you for the surprise." You finally broke the silence.

"No need to thank me. It was Stephanie's idea." 

"But you helped."

"Just a little bit."

Then there was silence. After what happened, it's been awkward between us. 

"Well, I guess I'll go to sleep now." I said, trying to maintain my cool.

"Oh, okay. Good night then." 

"Good night."

Nobody moved. Not even an inch. There's this tension between us. And I know exactly what caused it. Since you didn't bring it up, I guess I just have to brush it off. Maybe it was just a friendly kiss after all.

"Good night, Tiffany." I said again and turned around. 

"Wait." You grabbed my arm and I stopped immediately.

I don't know what to do. Should I turn back? But it will be awkward.

"Taeyeon?" You pulled my arm, leaving me no choice but to face you.

Then something unexpected happened. Something I've only been dreaming about. Something... Something nice... Soft lips against mine. It was pressed gently. So quick, I might have thought it was just my mind tricking me. But the look on your face and the way your voice trembled as you said good night were enough for me to believe that it was real.

"Do you like me?" I held the door before it was slammed on my face. I don't even know where this courage came from.

"I..." You tried to look me in the eye but failed.

"Do you? Because I need a clear answer." 

You looked down, clearly unsure.

"I'm too old for hook-ups, Tiffany." That made you look up and I smiled.

"M-me too..."

"So do you like me or not?" I just stood there nervously. "You don't have to be scared. I won't hold it against you if you'll say no." 

"If I say yes, where does that take us?"

"To wherever you want." 

"But I'm scared."

"Then you shouldn't have kissed me." 

Your eyes widen at what I said. Or was it because I kissed you back?

"Give me a chance. I'll make sure you won't regret it."

"But..." I pressed my finger against your lips to stop you.

"I love you. Always have, always will." 

===

"T-tae..."

"Shh, keep it down..." 

"B-but... I-I'm.... Ah..."

"Just... A little..." 

"Mommy?"

"Fu..." I covered my mouth and panicked which caused me to fall down the bed with a loud thud. 

"B-baby? What's wrong?" I hastily threw the clothes at you. 

"I can't sleep..." I can't see it but I'm pretty sure she's rubbing her eyes right now as she walk to the bed. "I keep on hearing this noise... Can I sleep here?" 

You glared at me and I only shook my head. "Of course you can sleep here." You lifted the covers and the little girl snuggled.

"Is aunt Taetae here?"

"W-why did you ask?"

"I went to her room, she wasn't there." 

I don't know why would she go to my room first but my heart is pounding like crazy that I can't seem to find a logical answer.

"She's..." 

"Surprise!" I jumped and tickled her. I hope she doesn't find it odd that I'm lying on her mother's tummy as I tickle her.

She giggled as I kept on until she finally said stop. "Are you here because you can't sleep too?" Stephanie asked innocently as she held my face.

"Hmm... Something like that. Can I join you and your mommy here?" 

We both looked at you with our best pleading faces.

"Can aunt Taetae sleep with us, Mommy?"

I know you’re trying to remain calm. "Mommy, let me join you and Stephanie here~" I cooed.

"Oh god, I'm living with two babies." You shook your head but I didn't miss the faint smile on your face. "Okay, get up and take the spot over there." You pointed to Stephanie's right. 

"Thank you, Mommy~" She slapped my arm when my hand lingered on her thigh.

"Taeyeon." You hissed when I placed my arm across, landing on your chest, after making myself comfortable on the mattress.

"Good night, Stephanie." I ignored you and kissed your daughter's head instead. "Should I kiss your mommy good night too?" 

Stephanie eagerly nodded. 

"Good night, mommy." I kissed your temple, whispering an I love you before pulling back.

"Good night, baby." You kissed your daughter on the forehead. 

"You should kiss aunt Taetae good night too, Mommy." 

"This kid..." You mumbled as you shook your head, amused. You leaned in, kissing me on the lips and whispered, "I love you back."

===

"Taeyeon..."

"Hm...?"

"Not here..."

"But it's been weeks... I miss you..."

"I miss you too but... Just not here..."

"We'll keep it down... She's too busy watching the movie anyway..." I pulled you closer and kissed the back of your neck down to your shoulder. "You shouldn't have worn this..." I mumbled against your skin and earned myself a jab on my stomach.

"You're such a ert."

"Hey, it's your fault for looking so hot." This time I earned a slap on my arm.

"It's totally not my fault. Stop defending that polluted mind of yours." 

The sound of you giggling makes me wanna hug you tight, so I just did that. "Tiffany?"

"Yeah?"

"It's been 5 years since you moved back. And we've been together for 3 wonderful years..." I paused for a moment and looked at you. "I hope I'm not rushing anything but I feel like it's the right time." 

You remained silent and didn't move.

"Do you want to take this relationship to a different level?" 

Still, no response.

"Because I would like to. And if you're okay with that, I couldn't be happier. But if you think you're not ready, I don't mind waiting for another year or two or five." I chuckled awkwardly, trying to mask the anxiousness I'm feeling inside.

"Taeyeon... Are you..." You turned around and looked at me straight in the eye. 

"Yes, I'm asking you to marry me." I smiled as you held my face. 

"I..." Your eyes are glistening. I don't know what to make out of this. "For real?"

"For real."

You didn't answer but kissed me instead. And I'll take that as a yes. 

I took the ring I hid under the mug on the counter and showed it to you. "For you." I smiled bashfully.

The wide smile on your face washed away all the anxiousness. You held out your hand and I shakily slipped the ring where it belonged. "No wonder you were holding onto my hand so tight every time it almost reaches the mug." You kissed my lips and I grinned. "Thank you."

"I should be the one thanking you."

You shook your head in disagreement. "Thank you for being there for us all these years. For the unconditional love you've given us. For taking good care of Stephanie like she's your own daughter. For being patient. For everything. And especially for proving to me that I won't regret giving you a chance. I've never been this happy. Thank you for loving me, Taeyeon."

I was rendered speechless. It was the most beautiful thing that I've heard. "I-I'm..." I took a deep breath as I tried not to burst into tears. "I'm so happy. That's the most beautiful thing that anyone had ever said to me. And... And this coming from the person I love and treasure the most... I couldn't ask for more... Thank you for loving me back, Tiffany."

===