Blackout

Impetus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was no way she could make it to the gallery opening. Lisa had been constantly checking the time on her phone—getting more anxious as the minutes passed. She was stuck on a chair as a stylist changed her makeup. The photoshoot had been going on for hours and she had promised him that she would go. And the mere thought of not being able to do that made her insides turn.

“It’s the last set.” One of the coordinators ushered her way back to the huge white backdrop.

She stood in front of the camera once more and did her best to pose for the next half hour. Her eyes burned from the constant flashes but she endured until the photographer finally called the shoot done. With a polite bow to the photographer and the staff, she hurried back to the dressing room without even checking the photos.

 

Dressed in a simple off-shoulder black dress, Lisa readied to get out of the car—her manager eyeing her curiously.

“You do know you have a choice not to come. It’s probably over by now.” Jung Hwa handed her a black Louis Vuitton clutch.

“But he invited me and I promised.”

The older woman gave a disapproving sound. “I didn’t know you were close.”

Lisa’s eyes widened as she hung the thin golden chain of the clutch on her right shoulder.

“We’re not.”

Jung Hwa chuckled. “Then why do you look like a nervous high schooler who’s about to go on her first date?”

“Unnie!” Her cheeks colored and the manager just shook her head.

“Go now. I’ll park the car and text you where.”

“Yes, thank you. I’ll drive home carefully later.” Jung Hwa made a last second adjustment on Lisa’s hair before the latter scrambled off the car and into the minimalist-looking gallery.

 

Her manager was right. The event was to its end when she found herself walking inside—too anxious to find someone she knew to even take a second glance at the art pieces displayed. Various pairs of curious eyes looked at her and she did her best to look polite yet unaffected at the same time. There were only a few guests left inside—some were marveling at the pieces and others were conversing about things Lisa didn’t care about. She reached the end of the hall and was thinking of just backing out when a painting caught her eye.

It was an oil painting of two candles—the image struck a memory and she stared at the painting for quite a while—fully awed at how realistic it was.

“Gerhard Richter.” His familiar deep voice spoke behind her and she turned around to meet his gaze.

Seung Hyun looked incredibly handsome in a black monochrome suit even though it was sweltering hot even at night outside. His coiffed hair was styled to perfection and for the second time since she had seen him last week, Lisa thought his tanned skin glowed—especially under the gallery’s lighting.

“I’m sorry for being so late.” Lisa bowed her head politely and Seung Hyun simply returned the gesture with a small smile.

“You still came.”

Clearing , she pointed at the painting and tried to speak without making a fool of herself.

“It was your profile picture on Instagram years ago.”

Seung Hyun’s smile became a wide grin as he nodded. “I’m surprised you remember that. Have you been following me all along?”

Lisa was grateful she had makeup on so the sudden blush that appeared on her face wouldn’t be so visible.

“I have a private account.” Was her simple response and that only made him nod his head—amusement clearly evident on his face.

“We’ll close the gallery in fifteen minutes. You can go around if you like and I’m just on the rooftop. I need to do something before the remaining guests leave.” Lisa nodded and he gave her one last appreciative smile before he went off.

She spent the next few minutes roaming from one art piece to another. Some of the contemporary art displayed were already familiar to her—having seen these on his Instagram recently and there was this one abstract painting that she clearly remembered. He had sent it to her on LINE all those years ago. Again, she didn’t know whether to laugh or cry because she could still remember even the littlest things related to him.

She had been too caught up appreciating the art that she didn’t realize the silence until she rounded a corner and saw and heard no one. Getting nervous for a second, she made her way up a few flights of stairs and out to the rooftop. There were a handful of people left there and among them was Seung Hyun. He was talking with an older woman who was holding a bunch of white papers. Two waiters were busy cleaning up the place which was set up as a rooftop bar for the event. And then the last person Lisa saw made her loosen up instantly.

“Young Bae-oppa.” Lisa softly called him and the older man stood up from a lounge chair and met her halfway. She stood taller than him in heels and she fought the urge to pat his head.

“Lisa-yah, what are you doing here so late?” They hugged each other affectionately and the moment they broke apart, Lisa chanced upon Seung Hyun looking at the two of them—his expression unreadable. For some reason, her heart jolted at the sight.

She tried to maintain her composure as she smiled at Young Bae. “Seung Hyun-oppa invited me but I had a photoshoot earlier.”

“I didn’t know you two were close.” He grinned.

“You’re the second person to say that to me tonight.”

Young Bae’s brows went up. “Who’s the first one?”

“My manager.”

He laughed as he patted her arm. “I’m glad hyung is converting our juniors into art weirdos like him.”

“Aren’t you like him now though?” Lisa chuckled.

“One of the first victims.” He replied proudly and the two shared a hearty laughter.

Young Bae, along with Jiyong, had been very supportive of the girls since the beginning. There was a time she felt so awkward being around them. But it got better when Lisa was given a chance to do the opening with her members for one of his concert tours in Japan years ago. It was one of the most memorable performances Lisa had ever done. Her senior was truly a kind man with perfectionist tendencies. But Lisa learned a lot from him and throughout the process, he had somehow become an older brother instead of just a senior to her.

“You should visit Eun Min soon.” The image of his adorable eight-month-old baby girl came to her mind and she couldn’t help but feel giddy.

“I will, oppa. Just tell me when!”

Their conversation was interrupted when the older woman who was talking with Seung Hyun excused herself and left. The two waiters were done cleaning up and left as well. The three remained and Lisa didn’t know what to do next. She should go home then.

“As much as I want to stay, my wife will kill me if I don’t get home quickly.” Young Bae sighed dramatically as he eyed Seung Hyun who was walking towards them. “I can drive you home, hyung.”

“Thanks.” The latter replied—his eyes cast downwards and Lisa felt there was something off about his demeanor. It was only just earlier he looked so happy and mischievous with her. And now he looked like he didn’t want to be there.

“Did you bring your car tonight, Lisa?” Young Bae asked and she nodded. “Good. Be careful when driving, okay?”

With another nod, the three made their way back inside. Young Bae went straight to the stairs and Lisa hesitated for a moment before deciding to head for the elevator.

“I’ll just use the elevator, if you don’t mind. My feet are killing me.” She said sheepishly and the two men nodded. Pressing the down button, she waited for the elevator as she heard footsteps going down the stairs. The doors opened and she almost had a heart attack when she saw Seung Hyun still standing a few feet behind her.

“I’m tired.” Was what he only said before he stepped inside the elevator with her.

The building only had three floors but Lisa’s feet were really aching by then. When the doors closed, she kept a good distance away from Seung Hyun no matter how small the elevator was. They didn’t say anything until the elevator was a level down and then suddenly stopped—along with it the lights and air-conditioner.

“What the—” Seung Hyun muttered and Lisa’s heart was beating wildly in fear. It was pitch black and there was no way she would admit to her senior she was afraid of the dark.

Then a phone lit up which illuminated Seung Hyun’s face in the darkness. He looked equally distressed as her as he tapped furiously on his phone. Pressing it on his ear, the light disappeared and his deep voice boomed inside the small space.

“Young Bae! We’re stuck in the elevator!”

“Calm down, hyung.” Lisa could hear Young Bae’s voice from the other line. “I’m at the lobby. The guard just told me there’s a blackout in this area in Seoul. It’s completely dark outside.”

“How long will it last?” Seung Hyun was controlling his temper and Lisa felt even more scared that he would suddenly lash out in anger.

It took a while before Young Bae responded—having asked the guard again. “It happened before for about an hour. There might be a breakdown in a substation and once the power supply is back, everything will be okay. The guard has called a mechanic to see if they can help. Just tell me immediately if something’s up. I won’t leave until you’re both out of there.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter