Flower

Impetus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The loud applause echoed inside the venue as a poised and beautiful young woman finished giving her speech. Feeling incredibly honored to have even been nominated, Lisa cheered for the actress who won the award. The Best New Actress category was filled with women with such magnificent performances. And there Lisa was at the Grand Bell Awards… someone who only had two acting projects under her belt and yet had achieved such an honor to be nominated in the first place. She had intended to be part of the film because she wanted to represent her home country. Never did she imagine she would be in this place at that exact moment.

When the Best Actor award began, she unconsciously glanced at the person seated beside her. Seung Hyun held a neutral expression as the nominees were being presented. Her heart was pounding hard against her chest—feeling more nervous than when it was her turn. Gulping, the presenter dramatically prolonged the suspense and when the name was announced, the whole crowd erupted into cheers and applause.

Seung Hyun stood up—eyes slightly wide as a shy smile appeared on his lips. The director seated on his other side gave him a hug as the others congratulated him. Lisa was quick to stand up as well and shook his hand politely even though she wanted to hug him just as much.

“Congratulations, oppa.”

His smile got bigger when they locked eyes for one fleeting moment and then he was making his way up the stage.

After receiving a bouquet of flowers and his golden trophy, Seung Hyun stood in front of the microphone and Lisa could see just how nervous and surprised he was.

“Thank you.” He began—deep voice resonating inside the hall.

“It has been a long time since I acted. The uncertainty of being able to do things that I love… that lingering doubt that never really disappeared…” There was a complete silence as he spoke—his voice becoming shakier by the second and yet he tried to compose himself. “I was able to overcome because of the people who trusted me.”

He thanked the director, writer, and producers. “To my co-actors who inspired me to become better… Most especially to Jung Woo Sung-hyung for always guiding me. Thank you very much.”

Jung Woo Sung was smiling beside her as the older man gave the winner two thumbs up. Seung Hyun grinned and then his face softened when his eyes locked with hers from a distance.

“And to Lisa for making me realize how bright and beautiful the world can be. Thank you… from the bottom of my heart.”

It took all her control not to burst into tears. The camera briefly panned to her and she saw her face on the screen—a huge smile gracing her features. Pride and happiness overcame her entire being as Seung Hyun finished his speech by thanking the fans who supported him through thick and thin. The applause was louder as he went backstage. Their movie didn’t win as the competition was incredibly tight in that category. The awards had ended by the time she got to see Seung Hyun again. He must’ve done an interview backstage and all the while, Lisa mingled with some of the other actors around. Politely bowing and greeting everyone she met, her eyes found him standing with their director near one of the exit doors.

The cameras had stopped rolling by then and her footsteps quickened as she neared him. She was about to get his attention when a flash of pale pink dress went by her and a feminine voice exclaimed, “Oppa!”

She had stopped walking as she watched Kim Yoo Jung, who had been a presenter that night, quickly hug Seung Hyun with a bright smile on her beautiful face. Seung Hyun was surprised for a moment before he smiled back.

“Long time no see, Yoo Jungie.”

“I knew you would win.” The young woman lightly hit his arm. “I’m sad we didn’t keep in touch all these years.”

Seung Hyun chuckled. “It’s because you stopped attending our concerts and switched to other groups.”

“I’m glad you’re doing well, oppa.”

Yoo Jung’s smile softened as Seung Hyun patted the top of her head affectionately.

The two conversed like old friends and Lisa suddenly felt a bit awkward just standing there. It was then that Jung Hwa ushered her towards the exit and into the awaiting car. For some strange reason, Lisa was feeling a bit dejected and she shrugged it off by answering her friends’ messages and updating her Instagram with photos from the awards show.

 

Like most after-parties, the celebration was held at a hotel nearby. Every passing second was a blur as Lisa did her best to socialize and by the time an hour rolled by, the day’s exhaustion finally crept to her system. All the while, her eyes looked for Seung Hyun who was nowhere to be found. She knew people were eager to talk with him since he had gotten a prestigious award. Still, her mood from earlier started to manifest once again as she silently finished her second glass of champagne—her manager never leaving her side.

“What did TOP-ssi say about your look tonight?” Jung Hwa asked as she fixed her care’s hair from one corner of the venue.

“We haven’t really talked yet.” The bitterness in her voice was so apparent that the manager raised her eyebrows and chuckled.

“That’s right. You only got to see him right at the red carpet earlier.”

It had been over a week since she had last seen Seung Hyun. After the YG Family Tour had ended, he became busier than he already was with BIGBANG’s upcoming Japan Dome Tour. It was a Thursday night and he would fly to Tokyo tomorrow for the group’s first show on Saturday. He had mentioned there were still things needed to be taken care of during rehearsals. And she was also busy preparing for her own group’s comeback in January. Despite the occasional messages and video calls, Lisa couldn’t help but feel that longing she desperately tried to set aside—fully knowing how hectic their schedules were. She needed to be strong because she knew Seung Hyun was also doing his best.

Sighing, Lisa looked at the people mingling around and wished she was at the comfort of her own home and wearing pajamas instead of a skin-tight dress. Jung Hwa had already noted her sullen disposition and within minutes, Lisa was being led by the manager to the company’s black sedan.

She busied herself with her phone once more and browsed through the comments on her recent Instagram post. There were almost a million likes since she uploaded the photos over an hour ago. The usual comments were there—complimenting her, emoticons, as well as the apparent surprise of her fans at the bold look she had that night. Surveying the photos once more, she knew the reaction would be massive. Her stylist had wanted her to completely stand out as this was her first time getting nominated for a prestigious awards show. The long and fitted crimson sleeveless Ralph Lauren dress had no embellishments. Its simplicity created a classic silhouette against her long and slim frame. It was the open back that made the dress so much more interesting. Her hair had gotten longer since the past year and was styled in soft waves. And her face complemented her attire with bold red lips.

And she wondered what Seung Hyun thought of her.

 

Too focused on browsing comments, Lisa didn’t notice that the car stopped at a basement parking she didn’t recognize.

“Where are we?” She asked Jung Hwa and the latter just grinned while the company driver remained silent.

“The others are waiting upstairs. I can go home now, right?”

“What do you mean others?”

“Just go! Your friends are on the 3rd floor.” The manager handed her a Louis Vuitton travel bag and Lisa opened it to see her sneakers and casual clothes. “Jennie told me to pack you a change of clothes just in case you sleep over at someone’s place tonight.”

“Jennie?”

Jung Hwa rolled her eyes and Lisa’s confusion didn’t disappear even when she was already walking towards the entrance where a security guard was manning. The middle-aged man just politely greeted her and let her in. Once she opened the door to the ground floor, that was when she realized where she was.

The wide and minimalistic space filled with various art pieces displayed was brightly lit even though the gallery was already closed. She quickly made her way to the elevator and then suddenly backed up—remembering the traumatic experience of being locked inside that same elevator over a year ago. Gulping, she used the stairs even when she was wearing high heels. Upon arriving on the third floor, the sound of chatter echoed around the spacious area. The first thing she noticed were transparent silver and golden balloons decorating the ceiling. There were lounge chairs set up at one side of the room, a small buffet table filled with snacks, bottles of wine, and a simple white cake decorated with a wine glass stuck on top as if its contents was spilling on the cake. It made Lisa laugh as she noted the faces who were all looking at her.

“Oh my god, Lisa!” Chae Young’s high-pitched squeal resonated inside the room as she ran to where Lisa was and enclosed her in a tight hug. “You’re so gorgeous!”

“Thanks, Chaeng.” That was when she noticed that her friend was also in a formal attire and she saw Jennie and Jisoo wearing evening dresses as well. Even the other four BIGBANG members present were dressed to the nines. “What’s with the tux and dresses tonight?”

Chae Young was already dragging her towards where the others were hanging out. “It’s Jiyong-oppa’s idea. He wanted to throw a party for TOP-oppa’s birthday and we’re the only ones invited.”

“Eh? Why only us?”

“I think you already know the answer to that, Lisa-yah.” Jiyong interjected and Lisa visibly blushed. They had finally gotten to know about her and Seung Hyun but the two never really talked openly about their relationship with the others around. It was too embarrassing to talk about relationships in general… what more with her seniors. So she avoided it as much as possible… but there was no way out of that situation anymore.

“You look very beautiful.” Young Bae smiled at her.

Seungri scoffed. “Not just that, hyung. She looks hot! y!”

“Thanks, oppa.” Lisa winked at him playfully and the youngest BIGBANG member clutched his chest dramatically which made everyone laugh.

“We actually just didn’t want to look out of place for the party when you and Seung Hyun-hyung are wearing formal attires tonight. So we just went with your dress code.” Daesung adjusted the tie around his neck and Lisa knew he was itching to remove it but for the party’s sake, he just had to deal with it.

“Where is he, by the way?” Lisa asked then. “I haven’t seen him at the after party earlier.”

Jiyong checked his phone. “Hong Il-hyung said they’re almost near a few minutes ago.”

“You all should’ve told me about this party. I could’ve helped or something.”

“As if you have the time today.” Jisoo chuckled. “Jiyong-oppa actually just told us last night. I had to cancel dinner with a friend.”

Jennie eyed her suggestively. “Is that friend a he?”

“Yah! Tonight’s not about me.” The oldest of the four women pointed at the youngest. “Ask Lisa questions instead.”

That was when everyone almost spoke at the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter