Epilogue

Impetus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The singing and cheering crowd was a sound she had missed dearly. From the backstage, she could hear them reacting to their music videos being played on the screen. Ten years since debut… It must’ve been truly nostalgic to see such memories before them. As she tried to contain her energy for the show, she could feel her whole body tingling with that familiar sensation—coursing through her veins, waiting to be released on the stage.

Time…

It had been almost three years since she last stepped on the very same stage. She had kept a low profile—wanting to enjoy the peace and quiet as she began a new chapter of her life. After a month of traveling around Europe and two months of having a domesticated life in their home in Italy, Lisa and Seung Hyun went back to Seoul. He had a movie to film and she had work to do. Funny how her marriage only revealed which people truly valued her image. Some of the contracts were pulled but most stayed. And she did her best to show them her worth.

Only two months of working and she had to stop.

Life really throws us a curveball at the most unexpected moment.

“Lisa-yah, your phone’s ringing.” Jennie’s voice brought her out of her reverie.

She looked at her phone vibrating on the coffee table and the name displayed on the screen sent butterflies to her stomach. No matter how much time had passed, he still had that effect on her.

Tapping the green button, she stood up from her seat and went to the empty changing room.

“Oppa…” She greeted him softly.

When he spoke, tears instantly sprung to her eyes. “How are you?”

A beat and her mood suddenly shifted—feeling the hurt gnawing at her chest grow bigger. Gripping the phone tightly, she held her tears back and reminded herself that she was a grown woman who needed to control her emotions.

And yet…

“I’m not fine!”

Damn my self-control!

“You promised to be here and you’re not here!” She was throwing a fit but she had every right to be. It had been a week since they last saw each other. He was filming his group’s music video in Los Angeles and it just so happened it coincided with their one-night 10th anniversary concert in Seoul. Seung Hyun couldn’t do anything about the scheduling and he was stuck in LA for another two days.

“I’m really sorry, baby…” He only called her baby whenever she was mad.

There was silence for a while and Lisa finally got a hold of herself.

“You know this concert is very important to me.” It had been too long since she last performed on stage. And she wanted him to see her do her best for the last time. “I just want you here.”

She sniffed—trying not to let her tears fall and ruin her makeup.

“Are you crying?” He sighed and she could hear movement from the other line. “Let me get my teleportation device. I’ll be there before you even know it.”

Despite her somber mood, she managed to chuckle. Seung Hyun always knew how to make her laugh.

“Idiot.” She whispered and the sound of his soft laughter echoed in her ear.

“Do your best, Lalisa. I’m always very proud of you.”

Her heart thudded against her chest and she wasn’t even able to reply before he ended the call.

 

The adrenaline never wore off even towards the end of the show. She had fully given her everything—relishing at the overwhelming yet incredibly satisfying feeling of being appreciated by the thousands of fans in front of her. Words, rhythm and melody combined seamlessly… body moved just as sharply as she did before—the fire in her eyes never disappearing. With that, the fans knew she had put her heart, body, and soul for this farewell gift.

All the members were dressed comfortably for the encore. At 29, she still looked youthful in merch T-shirt, shorts, and Converse sneakers. Her glimmering eyes were on the thousands of pink lights and faces inside the stadium. The four of them stood side by side at the center of the stage with everyone saying words of love, gratitude, and appreciation. It was their last moment to speak in front of the fans as a group before they performed one final song they had released recently.

“For supporting us through thick and thin…”

“We were able to grow from the love you have given us…”

“The past 10 years had gone quickly but all the memories you shared with us will never disappear.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter