Consequences

Impetus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Please say something.”

The silence stretched on for too long. It was the incredible guilt that had been gnawing inside her that finally made her speak up. Looking at her mother, the woman was quietly staring at the glass of water on the table—brows furrowed and lips tightly pursed.

“I can’t believe you didn’t tell me anything, Lalice.” Unlike earlier, there was no sharpness in her mother’s face or tone anymore and it only made Lisa feel worse. “I wouldn’t have prevented you. You know that I would always support you.”

A deep sigh from the mother and the daughter’s lips trembled.

“I thought the things I see on Instagram from the fans are ridiculous. And for you to tell me just now…” There was a long pause and it was as if time had stopped when her mother continued, “I’m very disappointed.”

Lisa’s stomach twisted as hot tears pricked her eyes.

“I’m so sorry, Ma. I just didn’t know how to tell you.” constricted, and she composed herself before speaking once more. “I always tell you everything… but I’ve never really talked about dating with you before. And I was just scared and uncertain about how you would react. Especially since I’m not just with any man…”

A pause.

“I’m worried about you.”

And Lisa understood that without a doubt.

“I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Shaking her head, Lisa reached out her hands to claim her mother’s. The familiar warmth it emitted reminded her of the countless times her mother had held her.

“I can handle myself, Ma.”

Her mother sighed. “But what about your plans?”

Lisa squeezed her mother’s hand in assurance—feeling as if her own heart was being squeezed at the melancholic look on her mother’s face. She then realized that all of these were something that her mother never expected would happen. But she was bound to fall in love with a person in one way or another. It just so happened her situation was far more complicated than it should be.

“I’ve thought about everything… and he and I have talked about it.” The mention of Seung Hyun had made the older woman avert her gaze. Lisa could feel her mother’s uncertainty about him and she wanted to let her know to trust her without hurting her anymore.

“Please understand, Ma… He’s part of my life now.” She paused to hold back the tears that pooled in her eyes. “I’ve never met such an understanding and kind-hearted man in my life… aside from Dad, of course.”

Despite the sullen atmosphere, her mother shook her head—a small smile appearing on her lips. It was fleeting but it was an indication for Lisa to continue.

“He and I are different… but somehow I can’t imagine being with anyone else other than him.”

“He’s a lot older than you.” Her mother stated and Lisa smiled weakly.

“I guess I’m really your daughter after all… because Dad’s also a lot older than you.”

“Don’t be smart with me.”

That made her chuckle then. There was silence once more but the heaviness had somewhat lifted. Not waiting any moment longer, Lisa stood up from her seat and went right beside her mother—wrapping her arms around the smaller frame of the person who cherished her the most in the world.

“You’ve worked so hard, darling.” Her mother sighed again—as if resigning to the fact that things had already happened. “I know you so well. You keep things to yourself until you break apart… And I can’t bear thinking of you getting hurt… much worse than what you have already experienced.”

Lisa couldn’t remember how many times her mother had called her after seeing things online… hate comments, obsessed fans, unnecessary drama… issues that shouldn’t have been an issue in the first place but affected her nonetheless. She had endured everything quietly and it was always her mother who reached out first—knowing it would take a lot for her to talk about her problems… not wanting to make her parents worry.

“Thank you for everything, Ma…”

Her embrace tightened for a second.

“I have another person I can depend on now.” She whispered as she felt her mother relax in her arms. “And no matter what happens, he and I are also going to be strong for each other.”

The silence enveloped them, and she could feel the steady breathing of her mother who said nothing more.

A soft pat on the back of her hand and her tears freely fell down her cheeks.

 

The plane landed in Incheon at past 6 in the morning. With her manager, Lisa made her way quietly through the airport. The company car was already waiting outside and she took the driving time to take a nap after Jung Hwa told her of the week’s schedule. The comeback promotions had already ended but their group was already in the preparation stage for their next world tour. It was already March and she was starting to become even busier.

Time was of utmost importance.

As soon as Jung Hwa dropped her off at her apartment building, Lisa went straight to her car and drove to Hannam-dong. It didn’t take long before she was parked inside Seung Hyun’s villa. One thing that she appreciated about their relationship was when they wanted to spend time together, they could just go to each other’s places without any problem. Pressing the 4-digit passcode, she went inside his home and quietly padded through the wooden corridor towards his bedroom.

There on the king-sized bed was Seung Hyun… still sleeping like a log with his cheek pressed on a white pillow. He was hugging the pillow like his life depended on it and Lisa couldn’t help the smile that appeared on her face.

He looks so cute.

Not resisting the urge, she went on the bed and sidled up behind him—wrapping an arm around his waist and pressing a kiss on his nape. The familiar scent of his skin engulfed her senses. It took a few seconds before he moved and turned around. Eyes half-closed and lips turned down, he groaned and burrowed his face on her hair.

“What time is it?” He asked groggily as he returned her embrace.

“It’s time for you to get up.” She joked which earned her a light pinch on the waist. “I bought coffee and cinnamon rolls.”

He sat up then and was staring at the wall like a lost kid for a few moments before turning to her.

“Did you buy Americano?”

 

They spent the rest of the morning catching up—mostly talking about his group’s ongoing tour and the things the guys had been preoccupied with recently. Seung Hyun was seated on the leather couch while she was on the floor and resting her arms on the glass coffee table— scribbling on a piece of paper the dates they would both be free. Like professionals, they mapped out their schedules for the next few months and if luck was on their side, they would get to spend at least a few days together when they were both in Korea.

Mouth quivering, she looked at him like a sad puppy and said in all seriousness, “You’ll be going to the US tomorrow. What am I going to do without seeing you for a whole month?”

Seung Hyun rolled his eyes. “Think of me, of course.”

“What if you meet a very attractive American woman there?” She was only teasing him, but it was probably still too early for Seung Hyun. The unamused look on his face would’ve been funny if she didn’t notice he was having none of it. Diverting the situation, she scooted closer to him and rested her chin on his right knee—taking his hand in the process.

“How did it go?” He suddenly asked and it took her a while to understand what he meant.

“My mother was disappointed with me.”

He stiffened at her words. Lisa was quick to explain further and she could sense he was still feeling uncomfortable—for putting her in a situation like that even though it was not his fault.

“I do think she likes you, oppa.” She was unconsciously massaging his hand for some reason and she missed the feeling of his warm skin on hers. “I mean… she’s always said good things about you.”

“But that doesn’t mean she wants me to be the person for you.”

That might be the case… but she knew her mother well. And with the way her mother comforted her even with silence made her feel that it was already an agreement.

“And how about your mother?” He took a deep breath before replying.

“She’s ecstatic.”

“Really?” The surprise was so apparent that she sat straighter and placed her hands on his thighs— feeling her heart start to beat hard against her chest.

“She knows very little of you… aside from us being in the same company and working together in the movie. But when I told her, she got so excited and demanded to meet you soon.” A small smile appeared on his lips then and Lisa could feel her own getting bigger.

“Wow… that’s very reassuring.”

Not hiding her happiness, she rested against him once more and just let that information sink in. When she looked up at him, the expression on his face was different. His eyes were half-lidded as he stared at her face.

“What’s wrong?”

“You shouldn’t be on the floor and looking up at me like that.” His words didn’t make any sense and her brows furrowed in confusion.

“Why shouldn’t I?”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter