Performance

Impetus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Feeling all the nerves in her body tingling, Lisa found herself unable to stay still as she waited for the event to start. She had been sitting on a chair inside the waiting room for almost fifteen minutes before she decided to get permission from their manager and go somewhere quieter. It seemed difficult to shake off the nerves when she couldn't find comfort in silence. It was the first time she would be performing without the members but with other idols from different companies instead. Her anxiety was palpable and even though the girls constantly encouraged each other, she could still feel like she was going to snap at any given second.

At the end of the long hallway was an open space with tall glass windows that boasted the view of the city. Even from the third floor, the impressive facade of buildings made Lisa pause as she admired the view before her. It had been five years since she started living in Seoul but there were times she still couldn't believe that she was there. She spent most of her time in their practice room and in their dorm. Now that she was starting her journey in the entertainment industry, she felt like her life would still be pretty much the same... that it would even become more difficult to be free. And she knew that, of course. He had told her a lot of things of what to expect. Still… it wasn't bad to dream, right?

It didn’t take long before she heard someone approach from behind her. Turning around, she saw the boy from NCT she had met a few months ago but had only gotten to know during their dance practice sessions. It was nice to know someone who shared the same background and goals as hers—someone who spoke her language.

Ten was friendly and could be charming if he wanted to. Lisa noticed that he was even more charming when he was around her. The other idols she had gotten to know had been teasing them nonstop but Lisa knew that it was nothing more than that. They were both rookies and in competing companies… and truth be told, Lisa saw him simply as a good acquaintance.

“Are you fully ready for our performance later?” He asked in their own language and he seemed relaxed for someone who couldn’t quite keep himself intact a day ago.

“I’m nervous.” She replied and a passing staff looked at them curiously when they were speaking in a foreign tongue.

“Me, too.” Ten rubbed his nape and chuckled. “Would you like to practice our part one last time?”

Lisa looked around and there were no people there. If there were any, they probably wouldn’t care if they started dancing then and there. “Sure. Here?”

He nodded eagerly. “Let’s do it quickly and then go back to the rooms.”

The windows were reflective enough to use as mirrors and the two started practicing. Music played from Ten’s phone which he had carelessly placed on the floor. They did their routine for a few tries and once they were satisfied that they would not mess up, they shared a high five—a laugh escaping Lisa’s lips.

“We’re going to do great.” She felt a bit out of breath but more relaxed than before—as if her nervousness eased a little now that she had released some of the tension in her body.

“You’re always great.” Was Ten’s remark and Lisa felt a bit shy that he openly complimented her like that.

They were talking about the performance when the glass door opened and a gust of cold December wind flew in making Lisa shiver. But it was not the sudden cold that made her body tense once more. It was the bright pink hair and the striking features of her senior that made her stomach flip and the tips of her ears red. Seung Hyun was wearing a dark coat and was holding a pack of Marlboro when his eyes landed on hers.

When does he never smoke? Lisa thought as she watched him pocket the cigarettes.

“Sunbaenim.” Ten bowed as he politely extended his hand. Seung Hyun, as usual, looked incredibly intimidating as he shook the younger guy’s hand—his face devoid of any expression. “I’m Ten from NCT.”

“SM?” His deep voice was quiet yet held such an impact once heard in such a close distance.

“Yes, sunbaenim. Lisa and I are going to perform with other idols later.” Ten explained who was starting to look more bashful by the second.

“I’ve heard.” Seung Hyun’s gaze went straight to Lisa and the young woman couldn’t help the sudden heat that crept to her face. “Someone told me a lot about it recently.”

“Really?” Ten ducked his head. “A manager perhaps?”

Seung Hyun didn’t say anything as his gaze remained on Lisa’s. For one brief second, she noticed his eyes flicker down to her feet and back up to her eyes—as if assessing something. That was when she realized that her outfit wasn’t particularly suitable for winter. She narrowed her eyes at him and a small amused smile appeared on his lips.

“Good luck on your performance.” With a slight nod of his head, he strode off towards the hallway without looking back.

“He’s so handsome.” Ten said and that made Lisa chuckle.

“Are you in love with him now?”

“I might be.” He said dreamily and Lisa wondered if Choi Seung Hyun could really do that to all men.

 

Ten had ran off to his group’s waiting room as soon as he got a call from his manager. Looking at her phone, Lisa noticed that it would still be half an hour before they would be called behind the stage. She decided to stay for a while and it didn’t even take long before a voice spoke from the hallway.

“We should set a meeting this week.” Seungri was pacing towards the other side of the room-- seemingly unaware of her presence since she was kind of hidden behind a column. The furrow on his brows made him look quite intimidating. And the weight of his voice was nothing as she had heard from him before. “Yeah. One of my business partners told me that. Hmm… I see… Let’s just set a date once you’ve confirmed everything.”

He sounded very professional-- a businessman to be exact. Lisa knew that the youngest member of BIGBANG had ventured into business. It was interesting to see how an idol could pursue other things aside from performing. Seungri had a penchant for success and Lisa had noticed it in his determination and perseverance in broadening his skill set. From what she had known, Seungri learned foreign languages and improved on his singing and hosting to make up for his shortcomings-- not that those were negative in the first place. And so maybe Lisa could relate to him. She had no idea how to rap when she joined YG… but with an extreme resolve to make a name for herself, she gradually improved.

Seungri did a double take when he saw her emerge from behind the column.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” She bowed and a small somewhat awkward smile appeared on his lips.

“How long have you been there?” He asked after greeting her back.

“A while.”

“Ah… You must’ve heard me doing my business thing earlier.” He laughed.

“I heard you appeared on Running Man recently. How was it?” He seemed genuinely curious and Lisa felt that she shouldn’t avoid a conversation with her senior.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter