Perfect

Impetus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Have you heard of the news?” A wardrobe staff asked another in the waiting room. Lisa was on the makeup chair—getting styled for the show that night in Kuala Lumpur.

“What news?” The hairstylist joined in and Lisa’s curiosity piqued.

“Dispatch revealed photos of two idols on a date. They said they just started dating recently but because of being found out so early in their relationship, they called it quits.” The wardrobe staff sighed as the rest who were listening in the conversation gave their disapproval.

Lisa felt her stomach churn at that information.

“I don’t understand why celebrities have to hide their relationships. They’re humans just like us.” The hairstylist clucked her tongue as she straightened Jennie’s hair. “Jennie-yah, you’ve probably dated someone. How do you even protect your privacy at all with that stupid paparazzi always hot on your heels?”

Jennie rolled her eyes. “I just don’t go out at all.”

“Remember that dating rumor you had with Teddy-oppa years ago?” Jisoo spoke from the couch and everyone turned to look at her as if she just said the most horrible thing.

“Unnie!” Jennie visibly cringed. “Don’t remind me that! Can you imagine how awkward it was to meet him the next day after that came out?”

Everyone laughed but Lisa was feeling more uncomfortable by the second.

“You girls are all single now, right?” The hairstylist asked and they just gave a collective yes except for Lisa who was staring at her lap. No one seemed to notice her lack of response.

“I’d rather be single than be in a relationship.” Chae Young started as all ears were on her. “We’ve got a packed schedule this year and a new album in the works. Besides… men are so needy and territorial. I’d hate that!”

Seung Hyun-oppa gets jealous easily. Lisa thought about the extent of his jealousy and then she remembered that time she wanted to wring his neck and gouge that woman’s eyes out for being so jealous as well.

Jisoo laughed. “Not everyone, Chaeng. There are those who are very understanding.”

“What happened to your romantic side, Chaeng? You and Lisa used to gush over handsome men from dramas before.” Jennie chuckled which made Chae Young’s lips pout.

“Age and maturity happened.”

There was laughter in the room again. The make-up artist just finished applying pink lipstick on Lisa and the staff straightened up, “How about you, Lisa-yah? Have you ever dated? Has anyone ever kissed those pretty lips of yours aside from T.O.P?”

Lisa instantly blushed at the innocent remark. They didn’t know it went beyond the movie they shot together so she couldn’t blame them for bringing it up. Still… she felt uncomfortable talking about it. And after all the ribbing she had endured from her labelmates as well as some of the staff, she definitely wanted to just brush the topic off.

“No one.”

“Good. Let’s just not date anyone right now. It’s better this way.” Chae Young said with finality just before a crew reminded about the time left.

 

The four women were seated behind the stage watching BIGBANG do the opening. It had been almost four months since the tour started and Lisa should’ve gotten used to watching Seung Hyun perform on stage again. But every single time she watched him through the monitor, her heart felt like it would explode with both pride and amazement. Here was a man who stayed out of the spotlight for years, yet he could still make the audience go wild with his distinct voice and overflowing charisma. She had thought he lost passion in music and performing on stage yet there he was… still shining as he did from the moment their group debuted. Of course, he was still dancing lazily but that was a part of his charm no one wanted to take away from him. A small chuckle escaped from Lisa’s lips when she saw Seung Hyun moving completely out of sync with the other members once the dance break hits.

This ahjussi… She thought when the camera panned to his face and he had on a small sheepish smile.

At the middle of their seniors’ third song, the younger group was ushered under the stage. Lisa could feel her heart slam against her chest. She always felt so nervous just before performing but it would disappear once she was singing and dancing. Lisa was the last one to follow the members. They were hunched as they navigated the long and narrow passageway towards the lift and she could hear the ear-splitting screams of the fans as BIGBANG finished their song. Seungri had a huge grin on his face once they passed by each other and she briefly nodded to the others who always seemed too preoccupied after a performance. Seung Hyun was the last in line and for that one fleeting moment, their eyes locked as she felt his hand gently graze hers.

It was the first time he did so and Lisa felt her heart jolt at his gesture.

After that momentous confrontation they had two weeks ago, he made sure to stay true to his words. Despite no one else knowing, he was showing her more affection through little actions... like how he would sit casually beside her whenever they shared the same room and talk to her about trivial things. Or how he would give her a high five after the encore. Absolutely no one thought something was going on between the two (maybe except for Jisoo who tried to tamper her growing curiosity). And when apart, he would call her instead of the usual messages they had before.

Not once did he ask about her answer. It took a while for Lisa to digest everything and finally come to terms with where she stood with Seung Hyun. And she knew he was just waiting for her to come to him.

But why did she feel so scared? She thought everything would be fine if he felt the same towards her… Yet she felt this anxiety building up inside her every single time she thought of them being together. Was it because no one knew about them? Not even her closest friends? What would they think? Chae Young was dead set about her opinions in dating. What would the company do about it once they found out? How about the fans who felt they owned them? And the haters who were just waiting for an opportunity to bash them?

Her worries were set aside once the lift was raised and the spotlight momentarily blinded her eyes.

 

In between shows, she found herself modeling, checking her restaurant, and working on new music with the members and their producers. It was already the middle of May and she made sure to keep herself busy. Why? It was because she would definitely lose her mind knowing she barely got to see Seung Hyun recently. Once they got back to Seoul days ago, it was even harder to find the proper timing. They never really went beyond talking over messages and phone calls and Lisa was starting to feel dejected—not really knowing what to do with their situation at that moment.

Young Bae embraced her as soon as she stepped inside the large private room of a high-end noraebang in Gangnam.

“Happy Birthday, oppa!” She handed him a small paper bag which contained a Graf-von Faber Castell fountain pen—since he really did love writing letters. What better way than to write with an exquisite pen? Actually… Lisa couldn’t think of a gift for someone who already had everything. But she was pretty sure Young Bae would appreciate her effort.

“Thank you. Have a seat somewhere and make sure to sing!” He ushered her inside the room and Lisa greeted the familiar faces of some of her labelmates and YG managers present. She felt a little wistful since her members had their own schedules that evening.

“Lisa-yah! Come sit here!” Daesung shouted from the corner of the room. It was loud inside because of the endless chatter and Young Bae’s manager singing off-key in the background. She made her way to where her senior was and her heart felt like it fell to her stomach when she saw Seung Hyun sitting beside him. He was hidden by some people standing around that’s why she didn’t notice him at all.

“How are you?” She bowed to the two and Seung Hyun made Daesung scoot away until there was space between them. The older patted the seat and Lisa gingerly sat there— getting dry once she felt her side connect to his.

“What would you like to drink?”

“Have you eaten anything yet?”

The two asked at the same time and Lisa blushed before answering Seung Hyun first. “I haven’t.”

Seung Hyun’s eyes narrowed before reaching for an empty plate and filling it with whatever dish there was on the table. “It’s already late and you haven’t had dinner?”

“The photoshoot went on for too long.”

Daesung chuckled after drinking his glass of beer. “You should never skip meals.”

“I know, oppa.” She smiled at him and then saw Seung Hyun place the filled plate in front of her.

“Eat up.”

What she saw made her eyes widen in disbelief: stir-fried noodles, the leg part of a chicken, three pieces of kimbap, vegetable salad, and French fries. “Oppa! Ssabunim will kill me if I eat all these!”

She eyed their fitness instructor drinking happily at the other side of the room as she heard Daesung laugh.

“It’s okay to have a cheat day… occasionally.”

“We’ll share.” Seung Hyun simply said before taking a piece of kimbap and ate it whole. Lisa just stared at him while he was chewing until he gestured for her to eat. And she did—suddenly feeling the hunger as she munched on each piece he put on the plate. It didn’t take long before it was almost empty and Seung Hyun was smiling at her. “I only ate that kimbap.”

Lisa picked two French fries and shoved them in his mouth. He chuckled—the image of his smiling face while slowly chewing made her stomach tingle.

“Ah, hyung! I’m jealous.” Daesung suddenly exclaimed as he reached over and shook Seung Hyun’s arm.

The older rolled his eyes and played along. “I’ll call your girlfriend right now to take you home if you don’t shut up.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter