What You Know

You Owe Me

“Ah, it feels nice to wear something other those training clothes,” Binnie sighed contentedly.

Jiho nodded solemnly. Binnie discreetly looked up and down at what Jiho was wearing. She still had the sense of a military girl but at least it was somewhat fashionable.

“What should we do now?” Binnie asked, playing with her hands.

She was trying her best to act natural but Jiho’s quiet and stern demeanor was quite intimidating. When Jiho didn't reply, she just decided to fall silent once again and simply walk alongside Jiho. Binnie wasn’t sure where they were heading but Jiho somehow held purpose in her steps. Finally, Jiho stopped and her heel to walk straight into a store. Binnie peered into it and saw that it was just a store full of shoes. Puzzled, Binnie ran in after Jiho.

“Haven’t we already bought shoes?” Binnie laughed nervously, trying to joke around with Jiho.

“This is different. These shoes are special,” Jiho declared seriously.

“O-Oh, I see…” Binnie agreed.

Binnie looked around left and right, trying to see what was so special about these shoes. There were tons of shoes and the shelves were just full of them with all kinds of colors and designs. Among the endless count of shoes, one was cute enough to get Binnie's attention.

“Oh!” she exclaimed.

Jiho turned around to see what Binnie had spotted.

“These are pretty cute,” Binnie smiled, touching a pair.

Jiho watched her carefully, tilting her head. Binnie's eyes roamed over the pair. She was obviously very captured by them.

“Would you like to try them on?” Jiho asked softly.

Without even waiting for Binnie’s reply, Jiho promptly called for the attention of an attendant and asked for a pair in Binnie's size. The attendant soon came back and Jiho thanked him politely. She waited for him to leave before turning back to Jiho. She held the shoes in her hand, weighing them a little. Finally, she knelt down in front of Binnie.

“Why are you kneeling down?” Binnie asked, embarrassed.

“I’m helping you try on these shoes,” Jiho murmured, not looking up.

“But I could do it myself?” Binnie asked, confused.

Jiho didn’t reply anymore as she gently removed Binnie’s shoe and replaced it with the new one. Binnie complied obediently.

“Why does this feel… i-intimate?” Binnie thought to herself, slightly turning red.

“Try walking in them,” Jiho said backing away.

Binnie stood up unsteadily but was steadied by Jiho, who immediately took her hand.

“Do they feel nice?” Jiho asked.

Binnie could somehow sense that there was a hint of excitement in her voice even though Jiho was keeping a straight face. Binnie fidgeted her toes in the shoes.

“Yeah, they feel nice. They feel really light, like I could run really fast,” Binnie observed, tapping her feet.

Binnie was surprised to see the excited twinkle in Jiho’s eyes.

“Are you okay, Jiho?”

“A-ah, y-yes,” Jiho stammered.

She coughed and looked away, leaving Binnie suspicious.

"Jiho-"

“Do you really like these?” Jiho inquired suddenly.

“Yeah, I really do,” Binnie said, taken aback by Jiho's sudden question.

Jiho nodded, looking pleased. She helped Binnie remove them once again and asked her to wait there while she sped off somewhere.

“Ah, she is acting weird,” Binnie exhaled, slouching down.

Binnie didn't have enough time to think about why Jiho was acting that why because Jiho came back quickly with a plastic bag now in her hand. Binnie immediately straightened up.

“H-here!” Jiho huffed, pushing the plastic bag towards Binnie.

Binnie’s eyes widened as she opened it to find a shoe box inside the bag and in it contained the shoes that Binnie had just tried on. Jiho had bought shoes for her!

“W-what!?” Binnie exclaimed, awestruck. “Y-You bought me shoes? Why???”

Binnie couldn't think straight. It was too overwhelming. What in the world had possessed Jiho to buy her a gift?

“W-when I was younger," Jiho started, "My soldier unnie trained me to be a great soldier just like her. A great soldier has to be a fast runner and so… She brought me here and told me to choose something good," Jiho explained.

Binnie gazed into Jiho's eyes. Jiho blinked and looked away.

"This store specializes in running shoes. I remembered it because, y’know, you run fast," Jiho coughed.

Jiho looked awkward saying all this, fidgeting her hands behind her back. Once she was done, she immediately straightened up like the good role model soldier she was raised to be.

“But-“

“It’s my way of saying sorry,” Jiho admitted, looking away and blushing.

“Sorry for what?” Binnie asked, wide eyed.

“You’re making this difficult on purpose, aren’t you?” Jiho asked thorugh gritted teeth.

“Nonononono, I’m just trying to understand,” Binnie said, growing flustered as well.

“Just know that I’m sorry for hurting you and… your friends,” Jiho whispered.

Binnie recalled their first training, when Jiho was super serious and cold. She remembered the way she didn’t help anybody but herself and how she had even hurt their comrades. It wasn’t too long ago but Jiho was a much different person from then. Back then, she was a robot programmed to be a soldier. Now, she seemed like a normal awkward teenager, who also happened to be a very skilled soldier. Binnie imagined that as her normal feelings surfaced, the guilt from that incident must have also come too. Binnie examined the Jiho who was struggling not to fidget nervously while waiting for Binnie’s reply.

“Thank you,” Binnie smiled warmly.

Jiho stopped trying to not fidget and looked at Binnie with expectant eyes. Binnie got up and wrapped her arms around Jiho. Almost immediately, Jiho pushed her off.

“A-Ah, sorry, Jiho. That must have been too sudde-,” Binnie started, feeling embarrassed.

“No. It’s just that… I’m ticklish.”

Binnie stared in disbelief at Jiho.

"You're ticklish!?"

Jiho nodded quietly, a blush creeping upon her face. Binnie let out a small giggle. It grew louder and louder until she was all out laughing. Jiho stood there awkwardly but started to giggle too. The two began to laugh loudly, out of the absurdity of it all. Binnie thought it felt good to laugh with Jiho. Seeing her laugh normally made Binnie’s heart grow warm. The two eventually stopped laughing and decided to stroll around some more. They were walking much friendlier now and they even began having light small talk until something caught Binnie’s eye.

“Paintball?” Binnie asked, tilting her head to one side.

“Paintball!” Jiho shouted excitedly. “Let’s go try it!”

“What is it?” Binnie asked, as she was getting dragged along by Jiho.

“It’s something we’re going to be really good at,” Jiho grinned confidently.

Jiho slammed down some bills and in return got two tickets.

“An enthusiastic one, eh?” the man inside the ticket booth grinned. “Have fun.”

They walked over to the place where there were other people sitting down, waiting. They were chatting amongst themselves excitedly. Jiho and Binnie just stood quietly. After a few minutes, a man walked up to them and began to explain the rules and regulations.

“Alright, here’s how you shoot,” he began. He showcased the paintball gun that he was holding and demonstrated how to release it and how to hold it properly.

“Don’t shoot someone too close, it’ll be painful," he reminded them.

“Once, you’re out of ammo, raise your gun up and no one will be allowed to shoot you anymore.”

Everybody nodded, acknowledging the instructor's words.

“Split into teams now.”

Everybody stood up and began splitting into two teams.

“We should split into different teams so it’ll be more thrilling,” Jiho whispered to Binnie who just nodded.

The instructor waited patiently until everybody had found a team. Once they were done he clapped his hands.

“Alright, now go suit up and have fun.”

They all rushed to put on their gear, gathering the least scratched goggles and the thickest looking vest. There was a sense of nervousness and anticipation in the air as they walked into the field with obstacles placed here and there. The two teams marched over to the opposite sides of the area.  Just as they settle behind their obstacles, the man blows on the whistle and the game begins. A song immediately blasts loudly, giving their little battle some more edge.

"Musical accompaniment?" Jiho thought, confused.

It was new to her. The days when she trained were only filled with the same sounds. The same commands, grunts and insults. And it was only with one person. For some reason, her soldier unnie never let her see other people.

"Unnie?"

"That's ma'am for you."

"Ma'am, do other people exist?"

"Of course, they do."

"Then why-"

"Mixing yourself with others will only let them get to your head. They'll fill you with nonsense such as emotions which rids your brain of common sense and you'll find yourself unable to fight. They'll make you think that there's something beyond the lines. There will be people who see gray when there's simply black and white. You don't get to see other people unless you are able to know what are you and what you stand for."

 

There’s a sound of gun shots everywhere with mixed laughter and screaming. Jiho coldly removes herself from those memories and focuses on the battle before her. Reckless shots are fired everywhere and the field begins to grow more colorful.  Jiho launches her attacks and easily strikes three opponents. Jiho sees her own teammates shot down as well from a very accurate shot that could only be delivered from Binnie. Jiho scanned the area trying to find Binnie. Jiho dodges an attack while simultaneously delivering one of her own. She laughs frustratedly, still trying to find Binnie.

"Ah, to hell with this," she growls through gritted teeth.

“Woah there!” a girl from her team exclaims, as she begins running forward, completely open.

She spots a guy from the other team aiming at her and she shoots him without hesitation, causing him to fall back. Jiho's eyes jump towards a fast blur and she suddenly pauses. Her eyes connect with Binnie's and suddenly Jiho feels the music sink into her.

 

In the chill of your stare

I am painfully lost

Like the deer in the lights

of an oncoming bus

 

Jiho tries to tear her gaze away from Binnie's eyes as Binnie lifts her gun. There was something in Binnie's eyes as she was about to pull the trigger that rendered Jiho immobile. She feels someone shoot from behind her and it narrowly misses her ear. It was aimed in Binnie's direction but she wasn't there anymore. Instead, an opponent shouts loudly, laughing happily afterwards. There is a panic bubbling below Jiho's surface but it wasn't because of how she was almost hit. It was because of how she couldn't fight back.

"They'll fill you with nonsense such as emotions which rids your brain of common sense and you'll find yourself unable to fight."

The words echo in Jiho's head as if sounding an alarm. Jiho inhales sharply and dives behind another obstacle. Jiho barely turns around as the girl from a while ago approaches her.

"Are you crazy?" she asks, laughing. "Running out in the open and then just pausing? Do you really want to get killed?"

"Are you questioning my actions?" Jiho asks, irritated.

 

"Are you questioning my actions soldier?"

Jiho watches in awe as her soldier unnie stands up tall and shoots at the wall of their house. Blood had splattered and Jiho was shocked to see a dead lizard fallen on the ground.

"I hope," she says to the wide-eyed Jiho, "That I have answered your question."

"I don't understand," Jiho says weakly.

"When questioned, answer. Don't take it lightly when somebody dares to question the skills you have honed for so long."

 

Jiho stands up straight, extremly calm. Suddenly, as if there was a switch , she quickly turned around and shot every opponent in her sight, which was, of course, everybody on the other team. All except for one. Not completely satisfied, she sat back down.

"I hope," Jiho says, turning to the girl, "That I have answered your question."

"Are you for real?" the girl laughed.

Jiho was confused. I mean, what she did was super impressive, right?

"Look, I get that what you did was super impressive but all I needed was a simple answer. It seems like you were trying to give me something else? Maybe a reason for me to fear you? Respect you? Well, whatever it is, you don't need to. I like you well enough, so far," the girl laughed. "Because you're beautiful," the girl winked.

Jiho was taken aback. What soldier unnie taught her... didn't work? Was it... wrong? Jiho couldn't stand to think that way. What her soldier unnie had taught her had always been right. Always. Binnie was happy when she got the shoes, the same way soldier unnie made Jiho happy by showing her the store. Jiho decided, simply, that the girl was somewhat insane.

“Seems like you’re aiming for someone specific?” she inquires, carefully aiming her gun around.

“You could say that,” Jiho shrugged.

Jiho notices that the girl has blue eyes, contacts maybe. The girl is shot and she laughs which Jiho finds incredibly suspicious.

“Could it be that girl over there?” the blue eyed girl grins.

“Where?” Jiho asked, turning sharply to where she pointed.

“She’s gone again,” the girl says in a matter-of-fact tone. “I’ve noticed her ever since a while ago. She's pretty. Also, pretty fast. It's hard to keep up with her but no pretty girl can escape my eyes," the girl winked.

After somewhat cringing, Jiho finally realized that Binnie wasn’t hiding behind anything but simply moving really fast, not stopping to be spotted, except to give Jiho that paralyzing stare. The girl moved closer to Jiho

"Uhh... Do you mind?" Jiho asked, inching away.

"She's probably one of those gray area people, full of emotions," Jiho thought to herself. She didn't want her to get too close, physically and mentally.

“Would you like me to assist you?” the girl smiled.

Jiho thought about her question and weighed the options. She seemed pretty flirty but she was reliable enough to spot Binnie multiple times when she couldn’t even find her once.

“What’s in it for you?” Jiho challenged.

“An interesting game,” the girl shot back.

Jiho saw the playful glint in her eyes and she smirked. So far, Jiho couldn't analyze her motives but as people began leaving, she knew she had to act fast. Jiho nodded and, without speaking, they both got up and began shooting again. Jiho spotted the girl's gesture and she immediately shot. Jiho felt her heartbeat pick up as she saw Binnie pausing to examine the paint stain that Jiho was able to give her. In response, Binnie shot the other girl, looking irritated.

“Oy!” Jiho heard her say.

The blue eyed girl turned to her and said, “You could at least cover me in return for giving you a chance to strike, right?”

“Ah, you’re right!”

Without waiting another second, Jiho tackled her down and the two saw the guy behind them get shot mercilessly by the triggered Binnie.

“Your friend sure is scary,” she said, awestruck.

“She’s having fun,” Jiho panted. “And I think that’s great.”

"What I think is great is that I have this beautiful girl on top of me~~"

Jiho immediately pushed herself off as the other girl laughed. The two got up and tried to find Binnie again. After getting another well-timed strike, Jiho was suddenly hit. She dodged the next ones but couldn’t dodge one of the two shots aimed at her from different directions. Her ally rushed to her side and shot in the direction of the shot that had gotten Jiho. She spotted a short haired girl grinning and raising her hand for a high five. In a good second, it was down, as if she had received it and Jiho knew that it could only mean that Binnie had gotten herself an ally of her own.

“Ah, that girl,” Jiho's ally laughed, shaking her head. “She’s a complete war freak!”

The battle intensified as the other players continued to run out of ammo due to their thoughtless shooting. Soon enough, it was just the four of them.

"It hasn't even been three minutes," the blue eyed girl complained. 

“Hey,” she said to Jiho, “I’m running low on ammo. Don't worry. Before I go, I'm taking that girl out with me.”

“Can you tell how much she has left?” Jiho asked.

“Probably the same amount as me,” the girl said.

“How can you be so sure?” Jiho asked skeptically.

“I’ve been playing this game for a long time. Trust me, I’m sure,” she said, giving Jiho a thumbs-up.

They feel a gunshot hit the obstacle they were leaning against.

“Ah, she’s getting impatient,” the girl chuckles.

With a friendly wave, Jiho’s ally runs off and a shooting follows her. Even as she runs and dodges, Jiho sees her small hand gestures giving her the opportunity to shoot Binnie, who in turn, focuses on Jiho and returns her shots. There was a lot of multitasking on the field as Jiho had to watch the small finger movements and also keep an eye out for oncoming attacks. Jiho jumped and ducked. She could smell the paint and dirt around her. For a moment, it was quiet and Jiho looked up to see her ally hold her gun up and walk away. She yelped as she received one last unmerciful blow from Binnie. The blue eyed girl turned towards Jiho and raised her eyebrow.

"Well, what are you going to do about it?" she huffed.

Jiho smiled and shot the girl on the other side.

“Oy, I’m out already! I’m out!” the short haired girl yelled.

Jiho could see her smirk as she ruffled her hair. Now Jiho was just left with Binnie. Shaking her gun, she could tell she only had one shot left. Jiho tried to think about what Binnie was up to. Jiho could hear the music better since there was no more shooting. It filled up the air, demanding that its message be heard.

 

Hearts on fire tonight

Feel my bones ignite

Love feels like war

Feels like war

 

Jiho placed a fist on her chest, banging it hard over her heart. Jiho couldn' understand the emotions she was feeling as her adrenaline continued to go higher and higher. Gathering courage, she shouted at the top of her lungs.

BINNIEEEEEEEEEE!!!

There was no response for a few seconds.

JIHOOOOOOOOOO!!

Jiho propelled herself up and saw Binnie was standing near the center of the area. Bravely, Jiho began to walk towards her. Binnie paused for a while before walking forward as well. They raised their guns and stared at each other while approaching cautiously. The music continued to blare loudly.

 

We go together or we don't go down at all

We go together or we don't go down at all

We go together or we don't go down at allwoah

 

Binnie and Jiho were staring into each others’ eyes as they held their guns tightly. Stopping a short distance away from each other, their hands slowly applied pressure to the trigger. They could almost feel the unforgiving release of the guns. What did they hope to gain from all this? Would a message be delivered? 

 

Is this the end of us

or just a means to start again?

 

BANG!

 

The air was heavily silent as the song finished it's last note. The two were laying on the ground, pushed down by the force of the attack. They lay down quietly, trying to process everything that had happened. Binnie winced as she softly touched the place where she had been shot.

"Are you alright?" Jiho asked, sitting up.

"I'm in pain," Binnie groaned. "I'm sure we could've died or had major injuries from shooting at a close distance."

"But you came," Jiho smiled.

Binnie sat up and looked into Jiho's eyes.

"Yeah, I guess I did."

 

They slowly walked out and began taking off their gear.

“So how does it feel?” the blue eyed girl grinned, pointing to their chests.

“Why there out of all places?” the other asked.

Jiho and Binnie looked at each other, finally realizing where they had shot each other. It was placed right over each others’ heart.

“Did you want to kill each other that bad?”

“Ah, no. That’s not it,” Binnie blushed.

Jiho merely shrugged.

“Ah, well, whatever it was, we had fun. Thanks,” the blue eyed girl said.

“No, thank you. You were a big help," Jiho said graciously.

They soon bid each other farewell. As Jiho and Binnie walked off, the two girls began talking.

"Trainees, huh?" the short haired girl said thoughtfully.

"Fun times, amirite? the blue eyed girl said.

"Do you think they've had their first mission, Hani?"

"I think so," Hani said, creating glasses with her fingers. "My eyes see it all, Hyelin."

"Oh stop it," Hyelin laughed. "What do you know anyways?"

"What I know," Hani said proudly, "is a cute girl worth getting interested in when I see one."

Ah, nevermind. Let's just go" Hyelin pouted. "Solji is probably looking for us." 

 

"I saw the little stunt you pulled back there," Binnie said, nudging Jiho's shoulder.

"Stunt? Ah, that's..."

Jiho explained it to Binnie who nodded thoughtfully.

"You soldier unnie," Binnie said, "She taught you everything you know?"

"Well, yes," Jiho said.

"What do you know?" Binnie smirked.

" A lot," Jiho shot back. "I know what's right, at least," Jiho said, a little more uncertainty in her voice.

"Well," Binnie started slowly, "What you know... isn't always right."

"That's-!"

"I guess your soldier unnie didn't teach you how to learn on your own, huh?" 

Jiho fell silent.

"Well, I just wanted you to know this. Once you've accepted that you don't know everything and that there's still things that are yet to change, you'll find yourself learning more than you ever could in the first place."

Jiho nodded slowly.

"We learn new things everyday, Jiho. Everyday with someone new. We don't know it all and that's fine. What we know now might be different from what we might know tomorrow. Before, I only knew you as a robotic soldier who only followed orders. The Jiho I know now... is much different."

"What am I like now?" Jiho blinked.

"I'll let you find out for yourself," Binnie winked.

"Well, I think I'm beginning to understand," Jiho mused.

"Understand what?"

"Understand that maybe unnie didn't teach me everything and maybe... not everything she taught me was right. She taught me how to face many kinds of people but I still don't know how to face you."

"What do you mean by that?" Binnie asked.

Jiho touched the place over her chest lightly. She opened to say something but stopped. Jiho stiffened. They were slowly being surrounded by men in black outfits.

"Here's another thing I don't know," Jiho said. "Just who are these people?"

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Featured song here is A Love Like War by All Time Low ft Vic Fuentes :)

I'm sorry for always updating so late but thanks for holding on guys~!!

 

Author, out ;)