What's a name?

You Owe Me

"YooA!" Mimi cried out. "Let's go to the training room now!"

"I'm coming," YooA smiled.

YooA was roommates with Mimi so maybe that was the reason why she noticed her so much. She noticed the way she smiled a bit more everyday, the things that ticked her off. YooA was slowly learning more about Mimi, whether she wanted to or not. YooA thought of these things as they walked towards the training room. She walkes calmly beside Mimi who grew more and more excited as they approached the room. YooA appreciated how it was just the two of them in the hallways. After each training day they were given more freedom. They now walked around without supervision, although there were still cameras and the black collars. Well, at least they could walk without stern looking men around them. They finally reached the room and Mimi pushed the heavy door open to reveal a huge room with different areas with different equipment.

"YooA, I'm gonna go over to the road area~!!!" Mimi happily called out, running towards the area in the expansive room dedicated to the training for vehicles.

Mimi always chose that place unless there were days that they had to learn something else the same way YooA always chose to go to the flexibility area which mostly composed of yoga stuff. Today, YooA found herself a new companion there.

"Good morning, private," Jiho greeted, not looking up. 

YooA cracked a smile. Jiho seemed to be trying to copy a yoga pose from the book in her hand but boy, she was doing an awful job at it.Trying hard not to laugh, YooA walked over to her and took the book away.

"I'm using that," Jiho said, finally looking up seriously. YooA tried not to laugh looking at such a serious face on a ridiculous body.

"You're the person I least expect to see here," YooA said, trying her best to keep a pokerface. "You and Binnie, at least."

"And why not?" Jiho said, straightening.

"You're both too stiff."

To prove her point, YooA grabbed Jiho's leg and pulled it towards her causing Jiho to split forcefully. She cried out in pain and gritted her teeth.

"W-Why did you do that?" Jiho asked, trying to keep her temper in check.

At that moment, Binnie rushed over, followed by JinE.

"Are you okay?" Binnie asked, leaning over and looking concerned.

"This one too~" YooA said happily as she pulled Binnie's leg, causing her to split as well.

Now both Jiho and Binnie were breathing to control the pain.

"You guys sound like you're doing labor breathing," JinE laughed. 

Jiho looked at YooA and nodded shakily. With a quick pull from YooA, JinE immediately fell into a split beside them.

"T-This is no big deal...." JinE said, trying to laugh but the sweat drops were giving her away.

"Y-You're no different from us,' Jiho laughed shakily.

YooA felt happy seeing the three of there and didn't notice that she was smiling down at them.

"Why are you smiling so much!?" Binnie demanded, still doing labor breathing. "Are you a sadist or something???"

"You're in pain," YooA said, still smiling.

"So that makes you happy? Has the company rubbed off on you that quick?" JinE said, half-laughing but still sweating.

Jiho was simply focusing on her own pain, too busy to care about anything else at this point. YooA sobered up and coughed.

"You're coping with the pain. That's something not everybody can do," she said.

The three girls looked up at here with glittering eyes. It was as if YooA had said the most inspiring thing in the world.

"We.... WE CAN DO IT!!!" they cheered happily.

They then focused on trying to cope with their pain. After a few more seconds, YooA decided to leave and and walk away to where Mimi was happily driving a monster truck. Noticing YooA was on her way, Mimi stopped the vehicle.

"I saw everything," Mimi called out. "You just like seeing them struggle, right?"

"Well... They're just so cute, I couldn't help it~" YooA said brightly.

They looked back to where the three girls where still splitting with serious and determined faces. Mimi laughed.

"Come on, troublemaker," Mimi called, "You can sit with me for a while."

She opened the door and reached out her hand to YooA. YooA hesitated a bit before taking her hand. Mimi held it tightly and hauled her up and placed her in the passenger seat. They sat in silence for a few moments.

"You never really come to these parts," Mimi coughed, putting her hands on the wheel.

YooA noticed she seemed a bit nervous. She was drumming the wheel with her fingers steadily. YooA knew Mimi was a little bit highstrung so she wondered how she could mellow her down a bit. It didn't seem like a bad idea so YooA placed her hand on Mimi's. Mimi stopped drumming on the wheel and jumped in her seat. She made a really cute sound too. YooA smiled to herself.

"S-So you wanna learn how to drive, huh?" Mimi said, looking around nervously.

"I didn't even say anything," YooA thought.

She decided to just roll with whatever Mimi said.

"Well, if you really want to... I guess I can..." Mimi said hesitantly. "But I don't really know how to teach people. I just know how to do it," Mimi admitted.

"If you are not good at it, then why are you teaching me?" YooA asked.

"Well, I like you and all so I'd, like, do anything for you, y'know?" Mimi said thoughtfully, furrowing her brows.

"Oh my," YooA blushed, "You're so straightforward, Mimi."

"Eh??? What did I-" Mimi started until a look of realization crossed her face.

She removed her hand from YooA's and started shaking her head vigorously.

"NONONONONO, I didn't mean it!!! I-" Mimi blubbered.

"So," YooA cut in, "You don't like me?"

YooA pouted at Mimi who was still turning red.

"NO. I JUST UHM LIKE UH..." 

YooA watched, amused, as Mimi tried to rack her brains for the right words.

"NO HOMO BRUH."

"Oh my god..." YooA muttered to herself.

She couldn't help but laugh. 

"You're too funny, Mimi," YooA said, still laughing. "You're cute as well."

Mimi hid her face with her hand and spoke gruffly.

"Ahh, if you're like that I won't teach you..."

"Don't be like that," YooA said silkily, almost as if she were purring.

She crept cat-like into the driver's seat where Mimi was still sitting.

"Hey, g-get off my lap!" Mimi said, turning redder.

YooA wondered how much more red Mimi could get. She was just too fun to tease.

"Teach me,' YooA said stubbornly, not budging from Mimi's lap.

"H-How can I.. like this???" Mimi mumbled.

YooA thought for a while while Mimi sat rigidly under her. 

"Ah, I got it!" YooA said, smacking her fist into other palm. "No homo, right~?

Mimi groaned and tried to push her off while YooA laughed and kept trying to stay on. They didn't realize how much the vehicle was shaking until they heard a rock hit the window. The two opened the door to find Seunghee and Arin staring at them. They were standing near the three other girls who still didn't care about anything else but their pain.

"What are you guys up to in there?" Seunghee called out, tossing a rock up and down in her hand. "You're probably doing something-"

"Don't say it!!!" Arin said, trying to cover Seunghee's mouth.

"What do you think I'm going to say, Arin?" Seunghee teased, holding her steadily. "What is going on in that underage and innocent mind of yours?"

"T-That is..." Arin said, fumbling for words.

She was interrupted as Jiho unsteadily rose to her feet. She looked straight ahead with a blank expression. Binnie and JinE did the same.

"Uhm, what's the problem with them?" Seunghee asked.

"Private YooA!" Jiho called out.

YooA looked at Mimi to make sure she had heard correctly and Mimi just shrugged. They both turned back to Jiho who was looking very serious now.

"I have endured the pain and am now able to stand! I have completed the mission!" Jiho announced proudly.

"You're not the only one!" Binnie added loudly. "We have too!!!"

The three of them then turned back to YooA with pride on their faces. YooA broke out into a mischievous smile.

"Ahh~ Great work guys!" she commeded. "Now, why don't you come here so I can shake your hands?" YooA called out.

At that moment, the three girl broke out into a run. Well, run as in... hobbling like a pirate with a wooden leg kind of run. The other girls burst out laughing while watching the others hobble towards YooA. They looked like rocking dolls moving from one place to another and they did it all with such serious faces. The training room was filled with laughter as the door slammed open.

"Stop goofing around, trainees. It's time for a meeting," announced a guy in shades.

The girls stopped whatever they were doing and straightened themselves up. The silence was broken by a clear and high voice.

"Archer!"

Hyojung was in the garden training area (for whatever training could be done in a garden like differentiating poisonous plants or something) by herself, previously unaware of anything else but the garden. But as soon as she heard the familiar voice, she immediately dropped everything she was doing and ran up to meet him.

"Archer, I haven't seen you ever since that first day," Hyojung said happily, smiling brightly.

"Well, I've been busy lately. You have been too and you'll be getting busier," Archer said.

He was as emotionless as ever which contrasted greatly to Hyojung who was simply full of sunshine and happiness bouncing happily next to him. The others slowly started to approach them (others still hobbling slightly).

"What's up, Hyojung? You know this guy?" Seunghee asked, stretching.

"Yes, this is Archer! He brought me here," Hyojung smiled brightly.

"Your name is Archer?" JinE asked, scrutinizing him from head to toe.

"It is," he replied a little coldly.

The two gave each other a brief stare down before Archer turned away.

"Let's move to the meeting room," he said.

And with that he began walking with Hyojung close behind him.

"JinE, I think you have a talent for causing tension between you and other people," Seunghee laughed.

JinE smiled as Seunghee laughed and walked ahead of her, putting her arm on Arin's shoulder. Mimi and YooA walked ahead of her too, leaving her with only Binnie and Jiho.

"So, it's just us three rocking dolls now?" JinE laughed, trying to walk steadily.

"Why is there tension between you and other people?" Binnie asked quietly, moving closer to JinE.

"It's because they know she's nothing but trouble," Jiho grumbled, moving protectively closer to Binnie.

"Is that so?" JinE asked, raising her eyebrows.

At that, she slipped her hand into Binnie's and winked at the obviously internally outraged Jiho. 

"W-Why the sudden.." Binnie stuttered, blushing.

Jiho clicked her tongue and tried to swat away JinE's hand. JinE skillfully avoided her as if she were merely swinging their arms naturally. Jiho stopped trying to swat JinE's hand away and stared at Binnie's free hand. She turned red in the face before turning away and finally grabbed Binnie's other hand. JinE let out a low whistle.

"You've got guts, Jiho," JinE said, wiggling her eyebrows.

"T-There's nothing wrong with holding her hand!" Jiho snapped, still facing away from them.

In between them, Binnie's cheeks turned pink.

"You know, it kinda feels like I'm a kid having to walk with her parents..." Binnie confessed.

"What do you mean with your parents!? Are you saying we're together?" they snapped in unison.

Neither looked pleased at what Binnie had said and they gave each other a glare. Binnie was stuck in between them, each gripping her hand tightly and all she could of was think: "Why me?"

They finally reached the room where everybody was already seated at a long table. At one end, the boss lady was seated nciely, looking comfortable with herself and on the other end sat Archer looking stiff and displeased.

"Well, don't you three look close," the boss lady said pleasantly.

Jiho immediately let go of Binnie's hand and sat to the vacant seat on the right side of the boss lady. Binnie gently took off JinE's hand and sat across the seat from Jiho even though she appeared to be uncomfortable in the presence of the boss. The only vacant seat was the seat across Hyojung, on the left side of Archer. JinE dragged out the seat and took her time getting herself in place, completely aware that everybody was waiting. The moment she got into place, the boss spoke up.

"I hope you've enjoyed your training so far. Next week though, we will be giving you rigorous training in order to prepare you for your first mission."

"So, the previous trainings weren't rigorous at all?" asked Seunghee in disbelief.

"Our first mission?" Hyojung echoed.

"Yes, your first misson," the boss smiled, ignoring Seunghee. "The mission is to stay a secret until the day itself."

The new piece of information weighed down upon the eight girls and they sighed in unison. Somehow, their actual purpose here had almost been forgotten until now.

"But that isn't why I gathered you all here," the boss said, breaking their continuous sighing. "Today you will be given your group name and positions. Let's start with the positions."

The girls waited anxiously, wondering what kind of position they would be in charge of.

"Mimi, you're in charge of transportation."

"Really!?" Mimi said excitedly, slamming her hands down on the table. 

She couldn't contain her excited grin and the others clapped for her. They were happy that she had gotten what she had liked.

"Yes, really. You have to know how to drive every vehicle skillfully and be able to fix any problem related to it. Got it?"

"No sweat," Mimi grinned. "I can do all that with my eyes closed."

The boss lady smiled knowingly.

"I'm sure you can," she smiled.

Mimi smiled bashfully and sat down. The boss looked around and rested her eyes on Seunghee. Seunghee wriggled down into her seat nervously.

"Seunghee," she said thoughtfully, "You were the one who caused that smokescreen the first time we met. Am I correct?"

"Y-Yeah, I do those kind of things," Seunghee coughed. 

"Well then, it's settled. You'll be in charge of distractions. Although something like distractions needs a partner. Distractions are just cover ups anyways. Another important job I'll give you is to take care of Arin."

"Arin!?" Seunghee said, straightening up. "Why Arin?"

"Yeah, why me?" Arin seconded. 

"Arin, you're in charge of entrance and escapes. You know how to fit yourself in tight situations so you're pretty important. You need to be hidden and protected. Seunghee's specialty kind of covers your area so it's fine if you two learn to depend on each other."

Arin and Seunghee stared at each other.

"Well, don't worry, Arin," Seunghee said, rubbing the back of her neck. "You'll be safe with me."

"I-I'll also do my best to help you," Arin said shyly.

"Good to see you two getting along," the boss smiled. "Now let's move on to..."

Everybody waited to see whose position would be determined next.

"Ah, Jiho," she finally said.

Jiho snapped her eyes up to meet the boss' eyes.

"You'll be in charge of the weapon department. You've got a good amount of knowledge on different types on weapons and you're skilled at using them too. Keep at it."

Jiho nodded and looked away.

"Binnie."

Binnie nervously placed her hands on the table.

"I know you're smart..." the boss lady started.

Binnie turned pale.

"But we don't really care for that right now. Your position in this group is to be a runner. There will be various times where your time will run out so it will be up to you to make the most of it."

Binnie seemed relieved. Her eyes finally met the boss' and she smiled. The boss nodded and returned a smile.

"YooA?"

"Yes?"

"YooA, you're in charge of.. how do I put this... Stunts? Acrobatics? Well, if someone needs to be tossed, it'll be you. Good luck with that."

"Ah, yes. I'm used to it," YooA smiled.

"Great," the boss smiled. "Now that leaves us with... JinE and Hyojung."

The boss cocked her head to one side and thought for a moment.

"JinE, you'll be the quarterback of the team, in a sense. You're the lead offense. But just because you're the lead offense, doesn't mean you're the leader. It's not a position I trust you with," the boss said blatantly.

JinE shrugged.

"Quarterbacks usually lead the team," JinE said. "If not me, then who?"

"Hyojung will be your team's leader," the boss said firmly.

"What? Why?" JinE demanded. "Like, no offense to Hyojung but I don't think she's the best choice for this."

"I've never been a leader before," Hyojung smiled sheepishly. "I don't know if I can lead the team well."

"You'll never know unless you try, Hyojung. The thing I'm looking for in your team leader is trust."

The boss directed a pointed stare at JinE. Addressing everybody, the boss said:

"Hyojung has the inability to tell a lie so that means I, and all of you as well, can trust her. That's why I chose her."

Everybody began to mumble amongst themselves while Hyojung still seemed confused.

"Hyojung," Archer said in a low voice. "Don't stress yourself over this. Accept what's given to you and treat it well."

Hyojung smiled at Archer and nodded. She was determined to become a good leader.

"As for your group name," the boss announced, "You will be called: Oh My Girl."

"What kind of name is that?" Mimi argued.

"It's cute, isn't it? It's easy to remember and you can shorten it to OMG," the boss explained.

"Do you think that those are good enough reasons to call us Oh My Girl?" Seunghee said, crinkling her nose.

"Isn't it a bit too cute for us?" Arin asked.

"You're all pretty cute if you ask me," the boss said shrugging. "Also, you are given a name but it is up to you to make it as well."

"Alright, I'm lost," Suenghee said, throwing her hands up.

"How do I explain this simply?" Binnie said, massaging her head. "What's a name? It is something someone/something is known as or referred to. When we are born we are given a name because obviously we couldn't name ourselves. We could share a name with several other people but each name would be different depending on how each person made it their own. You can share a name but not the meaning behind it because the meaning is made by the individual themselves."

Binnie shook her head, displeased with her explanation.

"You don't have to explain it too much, Binnie. Let it settle in their heads first and with enough thought, they'll realize it themselves. Once again, you are given a name but it is up to you to make it as well. Please make your name known in good light. That is all for today."

The boss stood up, ready to leave when Hyojung asked a question.

"Will Oh My Girl be a name that will be known?"

The boss smiled and walked over to Hyojung. Touching her on the forehead, she said softly:

"That's something only Oh My Girl will know."

She retracted her finger slowly and stared into Hyojung's eyes. With one last smile, she walked out of the room, followed by Archer who left without saying another word.

"Oh My Girl, huh?" Seunghee said in a hollow voice.

"It wasn't what I expected but it's something, at least," Mimi said lifelessly.

"Well, we have to play whatever is dealt to us," JinE said, getting up. "Let's go back and train."

Hyojung nodded and walked out with JinE, followed by the others.

"I'll be under your care, leader," JinE winked, latching on to Hyojung's arm.

Hyojung smiled awkwardly.

"I will do my best," she said, trying to muster up more courage.

"Don't worry about anything, Hyojung," Binnie said, catching up to them. "I'll always support your decisions."

"As will I," Jiho said, joining them. "I'm thankful JinE did not become the leader. It would have been hard to obey her orders," she said with a grimace.

"Oh, so when did you learn how to not follow orders?" JinE teased.

Seunghee pushed herself forward, dragging Arin along with her.

"I can blow anything up for you, leader. Just say the word and this whole building will be destroyed!" Seunghee said proudly.

"If you could do that, would you still even be here?" Arin asked.

Seunghee grabbed her in a headlock and ruffled her hair.

"Don't try to embarrass me, partner," Seunghee laughed.

Behind them YooA and Mimi were talking amongst themselves.

"You've been tossed around before?" Mimi asked.

"Yeah, almost everyday," YooA said nonchalantly.

Mimi was amazed.

"What do you think the mission will be like, YooA?" Mimi asked.

"Only time will tell, Mimi."

The eight girls reached the training room once more and began training for the next week to come. It would be a tough ride.

 

"Hyojung sleeps soundly, doesn't she?" Binnie asked, laying on her side.

"She does," JinE agreed.

She was lying down to face Binnie with Hyojung behind her.

"You're probably jealous of Hyojung." 

Jiho had appeared behind Binnie and gotten under the blanket with her.

"I don't remember inviting you to our conversation," JinE said.

"You talk every night so it's hard for me to sleep. The least you could do is let me join in," Jiho replied.

"I guess it's fine," Binnie said, snuggling closer to the bars to give space to Jiho.

"Well, fine. But no, I'm not jealous. I just don't want Hyojung to get hurt," JinE sighed.

"Why would she get hurt?" Binnie asked.

JinE stayed quiet. 

"There are less reasons to shoot a citizen than a president," JinE said slowly. 

"It could depend on who's shooting," Jiho said quietly.

"So, there's the question. Who exactly is shooting?"