New Sheriffs in Town

You Owe Me

"Seems like you went easy on them," the boss says indifferently.

The boss and archer stand at the doorway, after exactly an hour had passed. There were 9 girls lying plastered around the room, breathing heavily. One was frantically running around, checking on everybody's wounds. It was a tiny Arin, stuck in her 5-year old body. Archer frowned at the mess they had made of themselves. He quickly walked over to the toddler Arin and picked her up gently. She began crying loudly despite his numerous shushing. The first body to get up was JinE. She grunted and used one eye to look in the direction of Arin's crying. She tried to get up but failed, falling back down on her back. Arin cried louder. The next people to regain consciousness were Minkyung and Haeri. They sat up slowly and casually brushed themselves off.

"I expected you to rough them up a bit more than this," the boss commented dryly.

Haeri shot her a dirty glare before helping her partner up.

"We're done here," Haeri said, spitting out blood on the boss' shoes. "Go have fun with YOUR toys and leave us out of it."

"Oh, I thought you would enjoy this. Was I mistaken?" the boss smiled.

Haeri gritted her teeth and shook her head. 

"Let's get out of here, Minkyung," she finally sighed. "Minkyung?"

She looked around quickly for her partner and sighed when she saw where she was. Minkyung was standing right behind Archer now. He look terribly displeased with her presence. She ignored the feeling of being unwelcome by Archer and continued to stare at Arin whose crying had softened. Minkyung gently waved a lollipop in front of toddler Arin.

"Hush, hush, little one," she smiled, her words slightly unclear.

was still covered in blood, a few still spilling from the sides as she spoke.

"Want some candy?"

Minkyung swung it temptingly in front of Arin who looked at it curiously. Archer swung the toddler away as she tried to reach for it.

"Not good," Archer said shortly, addressing the child in his arms.

"There's nothing I can do right now," Minkyung exhaled, trying to keep a smile on her face. "Her crying is giving me a slight headache."

Archer didn't look at her and focused his eyes solely on Arin.

"I get it, you don't care," Minkyung huffed. "But look, she's crying too much. She'll catch a cold at that rate."

Archer still didn't answer.

"You haven't taken care of children and it shows," Minkyung teased.

She felt confident enough to let out a laugh, showing the bright red area inside . This seemed to scare the baby Arin and she started crying again. Haeri sighed, leaning on the wall for support. Her partner never ran out of shenanigans. Although this was not one of her usual little pranks. Haeri and the boss watched as the other two adults interacted, both waiting for something. After Minkyung's laugh had finished echoing around the room, Archer finally moved to get the handkerchief from his pocket. He rocked her a little before gently clearing up her face and letting her blow her nose. Since the room had become incredibly quiet, everyone could hear the low and comforting notes he was humming all the while. Minkyung seemed to be serious now, with no traces of playfulness left. She recognized the melody. Immediately, she scanned the room for the person she was looking for. 

"Alright," the boss cut in. "I have considered it and I figured I'll let you guys take a break."

Minkyung and Haeri looked at her in disbelief.

"It won't be a long one so you two," she continued, referring to Minkyung and Haeri, "help Archer bring the girls to the infirmary. You can clean up there too if you want," she shrugged. "But you'll have to pay."

Haeri groaned and Minkyung just let out a dry laugh, getting weak in the knees again.

"You never run out of odd jobs to give, huh?" Haeri challenged. "Although, I thought babysitting would be less tiring than this."

The boss smiled.

"I'm doing you guys a favor," she said, narrowing her eyes. "Isn't that right," she paused. "Minkyung?"

Minkyung's eyes were empty but were staring in the direction of Arin. After a few blinks, she smiled.

"I do appreciate this twisted favor, yes," she smiled sweetly.

She stepped forward and pinched Arin's cheek weakly. Archer didn't move away anymore.

"How often do we actually get to take care of kids in our field anyways?"

Haeri looked at the ground, expression dark. The boss nodded approvingly at Minkyung.

"If things work out, we could all have dinner together one day."

And with that, she left the room. The younger girls began to regain consciousness one by one, groaning in pain. 

"Did we win?" Mimi asked shakily.

"I think she said we could take a break," YooA said, eyes still closed.

"She said it'd be short," Binnie reiterated.

"Then I'm taking my break right here!" Seunghee groaned loudly, before flopping back on the floor.

JinE watched as the other girls lay back down, passing out again, before looking up at Minkyung. Archer had begun to check on the other girls and had begrudgingly passed Arin on to Minkyung. She slowly rocked the sleeping Arin in her arms.

"Don't touch her," JinE grumbled. 

"Do your friends know?" Haeri asked, moving behind Minkyung to get a better look at the child.

"Know what?" JinE asked, annoyed.

"That you two are related?" Haeri pressed.

Archer was picking up the other girls, not bothering to interject himself in the current conversation. JinE simply grunted and rested her head on her knees.

"I guess not," Haeri concluded. "You should keep it that way."

JinE's head whipped up at that statement.

"Don't act like you don't know it too," Haeri scoffed. "She's better off not knowing she's related to you monsters."

JinE stood up and stared at Haeri defiantly.

"Oh, that's right," Haeri continued. "I guess monsters like you wouldn't care anyways."

JinE made an aggressive step forward before Archer plopped down a body in her arms. JinE looked down at the girl. It was Hyojung. She looked tired which surprised JinE. Hyojung actually almost never looked tired, no matter what they did. It was enough to distract her from what Haeri had said. JinE frowned and walked towards the door, ignoring everybody else.

"Don't provoke them while on break," Archer said clearly, still not looking at either women in the eye.

Haeri began to help pick up the other girls. Now, it was Minkyung's turn to speak.

"Does that include you too?" she asked sweetly. "Are we not allowed to provoke you either?"

Archer ignored her.

"She's been keeping a useless card like you for so long but now I see why," Minkyung said. "She finally has the other card that makes it worth the wait."

"Minkyung, stop."

Haeri looked at her partner, concern showing on her face.

"I'll always despise you," Minkyung continued, directing her resentment towards Archer.

He made no comment, no reaction whatsoever, to her statement.

"I won't kill her myself," she said, looking towards the door. "I won't do anything... but watch as she dies."

She finished her statement, her voice ice-cold. It was to no one's surprise that Archer's demeanor remained the same. Cold and unaffected. Minkyung was undeterred.

"I'll find a way to crack you," Minkyung smiled. 

She looked back at Haeri and then back at the girls.

"I hope they liked our little appetizer," Minkyung said cheerfully. 

"I just hope they last a little longer," Haeri sighed.

"Well, they better!" Minkyung exclaimed. "After all, there are new sheriffs in town!"

 

Training with the new "sheriffs" had proven to be very, and I mean very, tough. They worked every day and barely got any rest. They barely slept at night, afraid they would be surprised with a sudden knife to the throat. About two or three months of living hell, the boss assigned them new missions again. This time, they found it much easier to go about and get things done. The girls finally felt a bit more confidence in themselves. Their intense trainers began to mellow down as well. But as everything seemed to settle down, a new surprise was presented to them.

 

"A family dinner!?!?!?" Mimi yelled in surprise.

"Yes, we were invited yesterday and everyone is going to be there," Hyojung said, looking through her closet filled with newly bought clothes.

"Well, I'm not going!" Mimi said stubbornly.

"So does that mean I'm partnerless for the night?" YooA said, applying her lipstick on in front of the mirror.

"But-" Mimi whined helplessly.

"Dibs on NOT sitting next to any of those four," Seunghee yelled, running around their room, trying to straighten out her shirt.

"Please stop moving," Arin begged, chasing after her. "You're making the wrinkles worse."

"I have no idea what to wear!" Mimi exclaimed, as highstrung as she was on their first day together.

"Are you dressing to impress them?" YooA asked, now fitting on her heels casually.

"Well, I don't like them but-!" Mimi groaned, scratching her head.

"You should only be dressing to impress me," YooA said smoothly, smirking slightly.

Mimi stopped rummaging in her closet and turned around to face YooA.

"D-Don't say it out loud!" Mimi said, blushing profusely.

"Who are you hiding it from?" YooA teased.

Seunghee had stopped running and was simply covering Arin's ears at this point.

"We don't need to hear about it EVERYDAY," Seunghee said, pretending to puke.

"I do think we should try to lessen the romantic advances while at dinner, at least," Hyojung suggested peacefully.

"She's right," Jiho said, nodding her head.

"It goes for you two as well," JinE said, poking out her tongue at a now embarrassed Jiho and blushing Binnie.

"We're not as public as those two!" Binnie argued, slightly hiding in her turtleneck.

"Sure, tell that to yourself," JinE scoffed.

She turned to Hyojung and hugged her from behind.

"Why didn't we end up all lovey-dovey like them~?" JinE teased sweetly.

"I don't understand what you mean," Hyojung said, slightly distracted.

She was having trouble making her hair look decent after the rough training they had ealier in the day. JinE laughed and took the brush from Hyojung.

"Here, let me," JinE offered.

Seunghee rolled her eyes and let go of Arin's ears.

"Look at me, Arin," Seunghee said seriously, turning Arin to face her. "I hope you never end up like those love-sick fools. They look absolutely ridiculous every moment of the day."

Seunghee shook her head, visibly troubled, while Arin just laughed heartily.

"I like how it looks though. They all look very close," Arin smiled.

"Well, we're close too!" Seunghee argued. "But we don't need to be all cheesy about it," she said crinkling her nose.

Arin laughed again took Seunghee's hand.

"Shall we go ahead and pick out our seats?" Arin suggested.

Seunghee blushed slightly but coughed it off.

"Uh- yeah! Great idea!" Seunghee said a little too loudly. "The farther the better."

With that, the two ran off together.

"No way are they getting better seats than us!" Mimi exclaimed, pulling up her pants. "C'mon, YooA, let's go!"

YooA watched, absolutely ready to go, as Mimi hopped around the room trying to put on her shoes in a hurry. YooA simply smiled softly and admired the dork who always acted so tough.

"She's going to melt if you keep staring at her like that," JinE whispered in her ear.

YooA wasn't surprised by the sudden voice in her ear. Instead she smiled wider and stood up.

"Come on, Mimi," she smiled, taking her partner's hand. "I want to sit where the food looks best~!"

Mimi had finally stopped hopping around and brushed herself off. She quickly took YooA's hand and ducked out of the room together before anyone could tease them about it. JinE watched as they leaved, a mysterious smile on her lips. She was running out of people to bother. She now looked at Jiho and Binnie who were helping each other with dressing up.

"Isn't a necklace too much for a family dinner?" Binnie asked, as Jiho clasped the necklace around her neck.

"I don't know," Jiho admitted softly. "I just think you look pretty wearing it."

Binnie looked extremely happy with what Jiho had said.

"Then you better wear your one as well," Binnie said firmly, getting Jiho's matching necklace and putting it on for her.

"Thank you," Jiho said, face reddening.

"It looks better on Binnie," JinE interjected bitterly into the sweet scene.

Binnie laughed and moved closer to Jiho.

"You don't think we look cute together~?" Binnie asked sweetly.

JinE opened to answer but then closed it again.

"I dont' even want to look at that eyesore Jiho for a second so I really can't tell," JinE laughed. "Now get out of here before I kick you guys out."

Binnie waved and headed out of the room while Jiho stayed a little longer to try and kick JinE.

"Jiho!" Binnie called.

Jiho stuck her tongue out at JinE before running off after Binnie. Now it was just Hyojung and JinE. 

"Are you ready yet, Hyojung?" JinE asked softly.

JinE only talked like that to Hyojung when no one was around. No teasing, no arrogance. She was simple and sincere.

"I'm nearly done," Hyojung smiled back.

JinE sat down and watched as Hyojung fixed herself in front of the mirror. She caught a glimpse of herself at the back and saw the expression she was making. She looked away quickly but she couldn't unsee it. Her face had guilty dog written all over it. It was almost time to go back.

"JinE?"

Hyojung's sweet voice broke JinE out of her reverie. JinE laughed awkwardly.

"Ah, I was just thinking about how Jiho has such weak aim in hand-to-hand combat," JinE laughed.

Hyojung held JinE's hand as they walked.

"You know, you seem to like Jiho a lot," Hyojung commented.

JinE almost stopped dead in her tracks.

"Like her???" JinE laughed in disbelief. "I think you need glasses, Hyojung. You're not seeing things right," JinE said still laughing but rubbing her head.

"Well, then maybe it's not like-like but like as a sort of interest?" Hyojung continued.

"I don't like her and I'm definitely not anywhere near interested in her," JinE said, raising one eyebrow.

"Oh," Hyojung said, clearly surprised. "You two get along well though.." Hyojung trailed off, confused.

JinE waited for her to continue.

"Maybe you're familiar with her?" Hyojung suggested.

"Oh yea," JinE agreed. "I am quite familiar with brainless dogs who only know how to follow orders," JinE smirked.

"Now, JinE," Hyojung said, frowning a little. "That's not nice."

"Oh no,"  JinE thought.

"What I meant was-"

"Jiho might have been a bit uh- stiff back then but look! She's quite different now, isn't she?" Hyojung beamed.

JinE looked away for a moment. She had to agree though but she didn't feel like saying it out loud.

"Anyways, haven't you changed too?" Hyojung asked, turning to look into JinE's eyes.

JinE leaned back a little, surprised by the sudden question. It felt too precise of a question for the things she was currently thinking of.

"I don't think I have," JinE said flatly.

Before Hyojung could say anything more, they arrived at the room.

"Cutting it very close to being late, are we?" the boss greeted.

The boss was seated on the left side, in front of her, Archer. Next to him was Minkyung, holding a wine glass loosely between her fingers. In front of her sat Haeri, looking like she already wanted to leave. The only empty seats were beside them.

"Hyojung~!" Minkyung called out, cheerily. "Come sit next to me~~!"

Hyojung smiled cheerfully and waved. She wasted no more time to bounce over to her seat. Meanwhile, JinE stood in her spot and looked at the last seat. She accidentally made eye contact with Haeri and both of them grimaced. JinE dragged her feet over to the chair and carelessly dropped herself in her seat.

"Do you have any hard alcohol?" Haeri sighed.

It looked like a long night ahead.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, everyone!

I can't even begin to apologize for the delay of this story. I've always wanted to get back into it but certain things made it difficult to even just look at this story. But well, it's been two years and things have changed. Stories have opened and closed. I am determined to let this be a story that finally closes cleanly this 2020. Thank you to those who have waited and left their comments hoping for this story to continue. It really helped bring me back here. Let's see this through together!

 

Author, out ;)