Ignorance is Bliss

You Owe Me

Mimi carefully closed the door behind her, hoping not to wake up the girl still sleeping in bed.

“You already dropped them off?” YooA murmured, rolling around to face the girl who was trying to tiptoe into their bed.

“Yeah, I did,” Mimi said, dropping her quiet act and just moving comfortably into their bed.

“I didn’t think you’d sleep in for so long,” Mimi muttered, facing YooA.

“It would fit my expected chill character,” YooA said, mocking Mimi for her statement the previous day.

“I’ve decided to throw out any expectations of you after you had that breakdown yesterday,” Mimi teased.

YooA scrunched up her nose and feigned annoyance.

“It happens to the best of us,” she said lightly.

Mimi shook her head.

“If you ever need to say something, I’d be willing to hear you out,” Mimi said, not letting YooA off easy.

“I know you’re not used to talking to people, much less talking about yourself but I’m not like anybody else,” Mimi pointed out. “Unless, you sleep with everybody you cry in front of?”

Her response was YooA chucking a pillow at her.

“You don’t talk much about yourself either,” YooA pointed to. “None of us here do. We’re probably all just waiting to crack.”

Mimi thought about it. She thought about Seunghee because her mini breakdowns were the most obvious but she couldn’t be sure about the others.

“Well, we could try to talk more,” Mimi shrugged.

“I’m fine,” YooA insisted. “I’m not as different as you think I am anyways. I’m pretty much the same as before.”

“Well, I’m not,” Mimi said seriously. “I feel like a different person.”

“Well, I guess you could be different after I took your-“

Her sentence was stopped by Mimi throwing a pillow back at her.

“Why don’t you just go back to sleep?” Mimi growled, blushing slightly.

“No, I think you’re right, Mimi,” YooA smiled teasingly. “I should really speak my mind up more often.”

Mimi frowned wondering if that was actually a good thing or a bad thing.

“Fine,” Mimi said finally. “Just make sure whatever you say is true.”

“So can I tell everyone we sle-“

Another pillow to the face. Mimi 2, YooA 1.

“Fine, fine,” YooA laughed. “I’ll be serious.”

Mimi snuggled beneath the sheets and YooA did the same.

“I love you,” YooA smiled.

Mimi coughed awkwardly, still not used to YooA’s romantic affection. She slowly lifted up her hand and tapped YooA’s nose lightly.

“Honk, honk,” Mimi mumbled.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” YooA asked, surprised.

“It’s car talk for I love you,” Mimi said with a slightly dorky grin.

“I thought people honking their cars were sort of like cursing,” YooA mused.

“Well, maybe,” Mimi admitted with a laugh. “But whenever I do that for you, it means I love you.”

YooA blushed and hid her face a bit with their blanket.

“That seems too contradicting to popular belief,” YooA said, resisting a smile.

“We’ve been over this,” Mimi smiled. “Popular belief is not something we’re all inclined to believe.”

YooA stopped trying to hide her happiness and a wide smile broke across her face. Without saying another word, she snuggled in closer to Mimi and the two of them lay there quietly, comfortable with each other’s warmth and presence up until both of their stomachs began growling. Only then did they begrudgingly get out of bed.

 

“I feel like we’re losing screen time to someone else,” JinE muttered seriously, sipping her drink.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Hyojung asked.

“I mean like, instead of us being in the spotlight, somebody else is,” JinE tried to explain, using her hands to make absurd gestures.

“Is there a spotlight in here?” Hyojung asked, looking around the café curiously.

“Ah, I think I strayed a bit off topic,” JinE laughed. “Nevermind that. I’m just tired of waiting around.”

JinE raised her hand and a waitress with a cool aura approached them.

“Is there a quieter place in here?” JinE asked with a charming smile.

In the corner of her eye, Hyojung caught JinE slip out a few dollar bills out of her pocket and place it into the hand of the waitress. The waitress raised her eyebrows in surprise but her smile was somewhat amused. She swiftly made the dollar bills disappear somewhere into her uniform and gestured for them to follow her. JinE winked at Hyojung and offered her a hand. Hyojung took it, still confused, and the two walked after the waitress. They were led by the same hallway that was described to them and they were shown into a room too.

“Enjoy yourselves,” the waitress said, bowing a little before leaving.

JinE smirked, apparently pleased with herself.

“Well, I guess this is what they were talking about,” Hyojung said, bouncing a little on the bed.

“It was pretty easy getting in here,” JinE laughed.

Hyojung remembered the secret exchange of bills.

“Wasn’t that bribery?” Hyojung asked.

“Why, yes it was!” JinE said happily. “If the fastest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach then for a woman it’s through her wallet!”

“It doesn’t work that way,” Hyojung flatly.

“Wow, you must be right because there wasn’t an ounce of doubt in what you just said,” JinE said thoroughly impressed. “It doesn’t matter though,” JinE said, tilting her head back. “I got what I wanted and that’s enough.”

“What you wanted?” Hyojung asked curiously.

“Hyojung, I don’t think that statement was hard to understand,” JinE laughed, shaking her head and dismissing Hyojung’s question.

“I mean, it’s what we needed, right?” Hyojung clarified. “We need to finish this mission.”

JinE mulled it over carefully in her head.

“It’s been a while since we’ve worn those collars, huh, Hyojung?” JinE said, falling back on the bed.

Hyojung pressed her fingers lightly to .

“Yes. It has been a while.”

“I’m actually getting pretty bored of all these games,” JinE admitted, grinning mischievously at Hyojung.

“I mean, we have been there for around three months. I don’t think we ever had the time to play games with all our training…” Hyojung said. “Have we?”

“That lady is crazy,” JinE said in a matter-of-fact tone. “And she’s just playing with us.”

“You mean the boss?”

“See? Even you knew it was her I was talking about.”

Hyojung stayed silent.

“What are you still living for Hyojung?” JinE asked suddenly.

“What?” Hyojung asked, caught off guard.

“Do you think there’s still a reason for living? Or would you be better off dead? Or not better off… rather, nothing would change if you’re dead or alive.”

“I think if I were someone else I’d be offended because it sounds like you actually want me to die,” Hyojung smiled, unaffected.

“Not really,” JinE smiled back. “It’s just that I’m curious about you. What drives you to keep going? To keep living the way you are? Is there something you want?”

“I’m not sure,” Hyojung said, tapping the side of her forehead. “If I don’t have an answer right now, shouldn’t I just keep on living to find that answer?”

“You’re too hardworking,” JinE frowned.

“Thank you,” Hyojung replied happily.

JinE couldn’t help but smile at Hyojung’s innocence and positivity.

“Is there anybody you love, Hyojung?” JinE asked.

While Hyojung thought, JinE was calculating the time in her head. She wasn’t surprised that the drugs weren’t kicking in fast to her but she wondered why Hyojung still remained normal. She was trying to figure it out but Hyojung had decided on her answer.

“I love you guys,” Hyojung finally answered after thinking hard. “I love you, Arin, Seunghee, Binnie, Jiho, Mimi and YooA. I also love Archer and our boss!”

“You love that psycho?” JinE asked, sitting up in disbelief.

“I love her because she cares,” Hyojung said simply.

“She doesn’t care about us,” JinE scoffed.

“She doesn’t care about us the way the others do. But if I could compare it to anyone, she cares about us the same way you do,” Hyojung pressed on.

JinE didn’t say anything.

“Hyojung,” she said, treading carefully. “I think you might have misunderstood something. If you say it like that, it’s either she actually cares or… I don’t.”

Hyojung was about to say something else but JinE stopped her.

“You don’t need to think about that, Hyojung,” JinE said. “After all, ignorance is bliss~”

Hyojung still wanted to say something but JinE stood up.

“Let’s get back to business. I don’t care about staying low anymore. Let’s get this over with.”

 

“Did you take care of the girls?” the bubbly waitress greeted.

The cool waitress had stepped into the breakroom only to find the bubbly one slacking off, filing her nails without a care.

“Minkyung, why are you slacking off?”

“I’m not,” Minkyung said, pretending to be offended. “I just thought I should give you the limelight for today’s couple, Haeri.”

“Well, I guess you missed out on this,” Haeri smiled smugly, presenting the dollar bills JinE had handed to her.

Minkyung looked surprised for a second before she burst out laughing.

“Her kids were always a little strange,” she mused happily.

Haeri dragged out a seat and plopped down, throwing her hair back.

“I can’t believe we got forced into helping her again,” Haeri said, looking slightly annoyed. “She barges into our headquarters, demands to see our boss, taking out a bunch of our new recruits in the process, only to blackmail our incompetent boss and have us get sent out to babysit.”

“I don’t mind,” Minkyung said, continuing to file her nails. “At least we’re not on the front lines. Plus, they’re cute~”

Haeri looked at her disapprovingly.

“Wanna make a bet?” Minkyung suggested happily, ignoring Haeri’s disapproving stare. “How long will it take for these kids to get completely wiped out-“

She punctuated this by throwing her nail file at the wall, missing Haeri by just a few centimeters. Haeri glanced at the nail file that stayed stuck in the concrete wall.

“-just like the tiny group of boys before them?”

“That’s not very nice,” Haeri sighed. “They’re just kids.”

“They’re old enough,” Minkyung said defending herself. “And they’re on the losing end of the stick. Honestly, her plans are too risky. She’s obviously insane.”

“I’ll admit it’s a bit foolish to always be making gambles but overall her winning streak is not something to be taken lightly,” Haeri commented. “And I’m honestly happy she found us first. We have immunity.”

“So we’re protected by a lesser evil?” Minkyung laughed coldly. “The world becomes grayer every day, leaving fewer things black or white.”

Haeri didn’t contradict her.

“How much longer is their power struggle going to last?” Haeri thought out loud.

“Also, why does she need us to babysit? Didn’t she train them? Although, they do seem a bit reserved but I’m sure that they can do fine with a little push,” Minkyung said. “What’s she planning this time?”

Haeri felt her blood run cold, old scenarios playing through her head.

“I don’t want to find out so stop asking stupid questions,” Haeri said, brushing her back a little nervously.

Minkyung let out a soft laugh.

“Were we just… led into a trap?” she smiled softly, mouth twitching slightly.

“We just have to make sure it doesn’t get to that,” Haeri said determinedly, standing up.

Before she could take a step out, the door burst open.

“Oh,” JinE said, “I think we got the wrong room. Sorry.”

With that, she stalked away, followed by an apologetic looking Hyojung.

“Hey now,” Haeri said, rubbing her temples trying to soothe the oncoming headache.

“I guess we have to get back to work,” Minkyung sighed, lifting her skirt.

She glanced quickly to check if her knives were still there before standing up and taking off silently. Haeri sighed, stretching her arms upwards.

“Children who don’t stay in line get hurt,” she said to no one in particular before following her partner’s lead.

 

“JinE, where are we going?” Hyojung asked worriedly, trying to keep up with her partner.

“We’re going to find their boss, ask him about his plan and then crush him once we get out answers,” JinE answered nonchalantly. “It’ll be easy!”

“This is too risky!” Hyojung whispered worriedly.

“But it’s gonna work,” JinE said confidently. “Wait, did you hear that?”

JinE whipped around, squinting into the dim hallway. She carefully took another step before finding what she was looking for. Tapping her foot on the tile she was on, she heard its hollow sound.

“A trap door!” JinE said excitedly.

She began feeling the floor but eventually got impatient and just decided to smash through it with her fist.

“How are we supposed to fix this?” Hyojung said, worrying endlessly.

“We don’t,” JinE told her. “It’s sort of like a foreshadowing of crushing the boss!”

Hyojung was uncertain of how she felt about everything. She had never seen JinE this energetic or excited before. And all she was talking about was crushing things and people.

JinE bravely pushed through the semi-darkness without hesitation and did not hesitate to kick down the heavy metal door that stood in her way. Hyojung gasped as she saw a room full of children. They looked around 2 to 12 years old and they were just scattered across the room, huddled in small groups.

“This isn’t the boss’ room,” JinE said, scratching her head. “Time to look elsewhere.”

Before JinE could walk away, Hyojung grabbed her arm tightly.

“What are you doing!?” Hyojung cried out. “We have to help them!”

JinE blinked twice before awkwardly kicking her foot around.

“We do?”

JinE.

“I mean… we.. do!” JinE smiled, unconvincingly. “But I mean, this isn’t part of the plan.”

“Neither was recklessly smashing this place around,” Hyojung said, crossing her arms.

JinE groaned and starting kicking around nonexistent dirt. She looked like a child about to have a tantrum. Hyojung frowned at her.

“We have to call the others for backup,” Hyojung said determinedly, reaching for the phone in her pocket.

JinE’s eyes widened as Hyojung set out to dial for help but she remained stiff and did nothing.

“Hyojung, is something wrong?” Binnie said, answering the phone.

“We need backup,” Hyojung said urgently. “We found a bunch of kids in the basement part. We have to get them out of here.”

“What!? Oh my god..” Binnie muttered.

“What about the boss?” Jiho interjected. “Did you find the boss and figure out his plan?”

“No, we didn’t,” JinE said loudly, not budging from her spot.

Hyojung sighed, a little frustrated. She didn’t understand why JinE was being so childish.

“We haven’t yet. I just wanted to let you guys rescue the kids while we go find the boss.”

“You stay here,” JinE said stubbornly. “And I’ll go find the boss.”

“That’s too dangerous!” Hyojung said, horrified.

“I’ll be fine!” JinE insisted.

“No, we’re supposed to stay together!” Hyojung argued.

“No, we’re supposed to finish the mission!” JinE rebutted.

The sound of her angry voice resounded throughout the chamber, shocking them both. JinE looked a bit remorseful as she saw Hyojung’s hurt face. Shaking her head, she quickly turned and ran away leaving Hyojung speechless.

“Hyojung, what happened?” Binnie asked, still on the line.

“Hurry on over here,” Hyojung replied weakly.

Hyojung looked at the scared faces of the children who were trying their best to stay away from her.

“I’m not the enemy,” she said trying to smile.

They paid no attention to her words and inched away further, shaking in fear. Hyojung stopped trying to smile, feeling utterly sad and helpless. She remembered the way JinE’s eyes flitted away the moment she saw the children. Ignorance is bliss. Hyojung shook her head. She didn’t want to think badly about JinE. She trusted her.

“But what am I going to do?” Hyojung asked sadly.

“I guess I was wrong,” a voice behind her said.

Hyojung swung around swiftly, taking on an awkward fighting stance. She was puzzled to find a woman in a waitress uniform standing there, shaking her head disapprovingly with a light smile on her lips.

“You guys really aren’t fine at all.”