How Do You Spell Awkward?

I Do But I Don't

 

Macy woke up at around seven in the morning so she decided to take a walk. Last night, Stefan told her that he likes her. She didn’t even know why he likes her but he did. As she was slowly walking, she felt sad because as much as she wanted to just tell him that she likes him too, it would mean that she had to do what Dr. Van Camp wanted her to do. To hurt his feelings; it’s still so surreal to Macy that Stefan’s own father would like for his son to get hurt and the story that Stefan’s grandfather told her only made things confusing for Macy.

When Stefan’s grandfather told her that everything started out with lies and deceit, she didn’t know what to make of it because the story certainly was jumbled together. Who told the lies? Stefan’s Mom? His dad? Macy still couldn’t decipher it and it agonized her. Is this something that grandpa wanted her to figure out for Stefan? But in the conversation she’d had with her the old man, one thing resonated with her.

Everything in this household isn’t what it seems…

That’s what he’d told her. What does that even mean? That everyone in this house has their own deep, dark secret? Macy felt too compelled and overwhelmed by everything now. Or maybe she’s just paranoid about everything else?

She was too preoccupied with her thoughts that she didn’t see Stefan walking next to her. “You seem to be thinking about a lot.” He’d said.

Macy seemed surprised that Stefan was standing next to her. Then, she’d remember rejecting Stefan last night which made her look down at her feet and shuffle them. “Oh um—er, hi?” Macy said nervously.

Stefan looked at Macy with a serious expression on his face. The silence however, began to make Macy feel intimidated. A feeling that she’d never felt when she was with Stefan in the last couple of weeks. But after the incident last night, it was no surprise that she would be feeling this way.

“Why so nervous?” Stefan asked; flashing a serious smile.

“It’s nothing.” Macy replied shyly. She really didn’t know what to make of this situation anymore.

“Is it because you rejected me last night?”

Boy, he can be very direct. Macy looked at him and forced out a smile. “Were you serious about that?” Macy is hoping that when Stefan told her that he liked her, he was just drunk because if he really did, she wouldn’t know what to do anymore.

Suddenly, Macy felt a hand on her shoulder. Stefan made her look at him. His expression was serious and his gaze never leaving Macy’s. She swallowed a huge lump that formed in . Clearly, Stefan betrayed what Macy was hoping and praying for, that he didn’t really like her, and that he was only joking last night.

“Do I look like I’m not serious, Macy?” He asked her with gritted teeth. Macy suddenly felt her heart racing.

“Why are you being like this?” She asked, trying to wriggle out of Stefan’s arms but he wouldn’t budge.

“Why am I being like this?” He asked a little hoarsely this time. “Why are you treating me like this?” Stefan’s voice boomed.

Macy looked at him; pleading. “Stefan, please stop…you’re hurting me.” She said as she desperately tried to create a little separation.

“I already told you that I liked you…but why can’t you like me?” He asked, tears starting to form in the corners of his eyes. This made Macy tear up a bit. Seeing him like that hurt her as well.

“Stefan, you can’t like me, I can’t be anything more than a friend.” She said. She knew that she was going against her contract with Stefan’s father but she just couldn’t bear to hurt this person.

“Why can’t you be more than a friend?” He asked her loudly and it frightened Macy.

“Because I don’t see you in that way.” Macy lied. This is the only thing she can do to prevent Stefan from getting hurt further.

Stefan’s expression turned from anger to confusion and then realization. His grip on Macy’s shoulder loosen and his whole body just slumped. He looked at her with a defeated look about him. “You don’t see me as a man, don’t you?”

With a heavy heart, Macy nodded. This is for the better, Stefan…

“But when we kissed, I---you---you were kissing me back.” Stefan stuttered. Never in his life had he experienced liking someone so this is all new to him. He didn’t really know what to make of this situation, he just felt so defeated and beaten up right now.

“I never kissed you back.” Macy lied once again. “And quite frankly, kissing you was the worst mistake I’ve ever made.” Macy said in one swift blow. She knew the words she said hurt but it’s all the choice she had. She can’t hurt him like what Dr. Van Camp wanted her to do. She’s doing this for Stefan’s own good. It may hurt him but this is the best that Macy can do. She won’t hurt his feelings just because of a stupid contract that requires her to make him fall for him and then eventually breaking up with him.

She knew that she managed to make him fall for her even though she didn’t mean to do so that’s why this has to stop already. She’ll tell Dr. Van Camp that she would take everything that he’ll throw at her but she won’t ever make fun of someone else’s feelings just for the sake of money.

Stefan stood there as if he was turned into stone. Macy looked at him with an icy expression—the iciest she could ever muster. “I can never ever like someone like you, Stefan van Camp.” She said coldly. “Why do you seem so surprised? I never even tried to like you like the way you wanted me to.” She patted his shoulder. “But hey, It was nice meeting you but, this is as far as I can go as you’re friend.” Then, without anymore words to say, Macy walked off. As she did so, she tried so hard not to cry because if she did, it will only make things worse. She took a deep breath and walked in a fashionable stride not even looking back at Stefan’s dejected state.

End of Chapter

Do Leave Comments and I hope you guys enjoyed reading!