Sometimes It's Easier to Lie

I Do But I Don't

Sometimes, it’s easier to lie

Macy let out a deep sigh. She still couldn’t shake what she felt earlier. Once again, Stefan kissed her. She really doesn’t know how she’ll react to it. She feels like there are things between them that she has to deal with. First—and the most evidently scary one: her job. A job that she shouldn’t have accepted in the first place, second, Stefan’s father who is making Macy go through all this, and lastly, her guilt. She wants to tell Stefan the truth but if she did, she’ll only end up hurting him.

“Maybe I should just leave?” She asked herself. That’s the best option she has right now. To leave. But she knows that once she leaves this house, her whole life will turn upside down.

“Why would you leave?”

Macy jumped a bit; surprised. She turned around and saw her patient. “Oh sir I was just…”

He shook his head. “What did I tell you? What did I want you to call me?” He asked her, raising a grey eyebrow.

Macy smiled. “Grandpa.” She said the words that she’d been longing to say. When she was younger, she’d wanted to visit her Grandpa in the countryside but her father never allowed her to do so because he said it was just a waste of time. Somehow, when her father said it, she felt bad that there was a son like her father. What a douche.

“Now, why would you leave this house?” he asked her worriedly. Macy looked down. She didn’t want to lie to him but does she have any choice right now?

“It’s nothing really, sir—I mean grandpa. I was just thinking out loud. That’s all.” She said it so fast that she doubted that he even comprehended what she’d just said. The old man laughed out loud.

“Are you thinking of leaving because of Stefan?” He asked as if he knew the whole story. “Trust me, that young man is crazy but he is a good person Macy. I ask that you look past you’re differences and sort it out so that you can be friends.”

Macy looked at her patient and smiled. “It’s not about Stefan. It’s about me, I just feel like I don’t belong here, that’s all.”

The old man frowned. “We all feel that way. Stefan and Sara included. In this household, no one can go against the word of my son and almost all of the time, people get really sick of him.

Tell me about it. Macy wanted to say but didn’t because she knew it’d sound too weird for her to say the words without being caught in a tangled web that will eventually reveal the true colors of her job and she didn’t want that to happen yet. She will never bear the hatred she’ll receive from Stefan if he finds out.

“Now, young lady, would you like grandpa to tell you a story?” He asked with a wistful smile. It’s all about my daughter in law and my son. I’m sure you’d like to hear all about their love affair and how everything turned sour.”

Macy nodded. She needed to know anything she can about Dr. Adrien Van Camp and why he turned out that way. The old man sighed as he proceeded.

It all started with lies and deceit…


Stefan was just getting out of work when he saw Macy walking down the hallway. An eager smile appeared on his lips as he waved at her. She seemed not to have noticed him because Macy rushed to her friends. His smile turned sour when he saw Macy, two other nurses—a man and a woman—laughing with Peter Lancaster. He felt like punching the nearby fire alarm and setting it off. He secretly walked towards them and went incognito so that he can hear what they were talking about without being seen.

“C’mon, Dr. Lancaster, just eat with us. Please?” He heard the other nurse saying—her name was Lana Lee. The other nurse Gregory Han if he was not mistaken looked as if he was about to punch Peter as well. This made Stefan smile but as soon as he looked at Macy—who was wearing a flowery dress and ballet flats to match and an ear to ear smile, he wanted to pull her out of there immediately but he was in no position to do that, and it ticked him off.

“Yes, Dr. Lancaster, eat dinner with us! Please, you promised us the last time I was here.” Macy said with a happy smile. Stefan looked at Macy then to Peter and then back again. That damn bastard was smiling at her. He needed to stop this tirade but how?

“Okay I’ll join you for dinner.” Peter paused smile broadly. “Only if we’ll go to on a Karaoke bar after dinner? Cool?” he asked.

Macy, Lana, and Gregory smiled. “You’re on Doc!” The said.

This was the last straw. If they were going to go on a Karaoke bar, there was no way that Stefan would let Macy go there alone. So, with the quiet confidence that he had, he showed himself.

“I don’t think that you guys should go on a karaoke party without your boss right?” He asked seriously.

Macy, Lana and Gregory looked at Stefan confusedly but Peter just stood his ground and forced out a smile.

“Macy, did you tell my grandfather about this?” He asked her.

“Yes, but I don’t have to tell you do I?” She asked him with a snarky voice that she uses only towards Stefan.

“Yes, you do. I’m the grandson of that person.” He said. Macy then giggled.

“Okay then.” She paused pulling him towards the group. “Since you really wanted to come with us, then, you may. Alright?” She looked at Stefan to her friends and to Peter Lancaster.

Lana and Greg nodded excitedly, whereas Peter Lancaster doesn’t seem thrilled about the idea. In fact, he looks like he really hates the idea. This made Stefan grin broadly at him, as if trying to tell him that he was not needed at all.

“Let’s Go!”

 

“Macy, the world is really spinning!” Stefan declared as he and Macy struggled to all the way back to the Van Camp Mansion. Stefan had a lot to drink earlier, and now, Macy is on the receiving end of having to stand by his side so that he wouldn’t topple over.

“Sure it does.” Macy huffed as she hefted Stefan’s heavy arms around her shoulders. “Now, can you please just try not to break me in half, you’re not exactly light, you know?” She informed him. Stefan laughed so loud Macy thinks that he would wake other people up.

“Macy! I’ve never been this free in my entire life!” Stefan boomed, seemingly not caring about what happens anymore. This made her smile because for once, the uptight Stefan Van Camp is loose and having a lot of fun but at the same time, it worries her that Stefan would be so reckless when it comes to getting drunk.

When they got inside the mansion, Stefan backed away for a bit and took Macy’s hand in his. “Macy, I don’t like it when you smile at that Peter Lancaster.” He slurred his words as he looked at Macy straight in the eyes. “I hate the fact that you even bothered to talk to him earlier.” He said.

Macy looked at him, dumbfounded. “You’re very drunk right now Stefan. I should bring you up to your room.” She said as she began to walk with Stefan in tow but Stefan stopped in his tracks. “What is it?” Macy asked him.

“You don’t get what I mean?” Stefan said as he pulled Macy closer to him. “I bloody jealous when you talk to that man. I don’t like it.” He said.

Macy looked at him worriedly. “Let’s just go. You’re very drunk.” She stated.

Stefan shook his head. “I’m not drunk.” He began to protest but Macy just dragged him along so they both could rest. It had been a very long day.

“Macy…” Stefan whispered. “I think I’m starting to like you…”

Macy looked at Stefan. Even though it was the alcohol talking she felt this sudden rush of spine tingling sensation and it made her paralyzed.

“Do you like me too?” Stefan asked.

Macy felt too tongue tied to even speak.

“Tell me, do you like me?” Stefan asked again.

Macy knew how she felt but if she says yes, it will get harder for the both of them. “I’m sorry Stefan, I don’t.” She said bluntly before walking back alone. Stefan looked at her with a sadden expression, even in his drunk state, he knew perfectly well that he’d just been rejected.
 

End of the 7th Chapter

Happy Reading and Do Leave Comments!