Weird Conversation

I Do But I Don't

“Stefan, would you like some tea?” Macy asked him as he sat down on the dining area. He looked at her with a broad grin and nodded. “Yeah, I’d like some.” He said.

Macy smiled at him. During the last few days, Macy felt like everything was right in the world right now. Whenever she sees Stefan now, she always finds herself smiling even if she doesn’t want to but when she’s reminded of what she has to do, she’d feel like the guiltiest person ever. She’d been pondering about telling Stefan about it to get it over with but what if he gets mad? What if he tells her that she’s nothing more but a social climbing liar? She would never in a million years want Stefan to hate her.

She placed a cup in front of him and sat on the opposite side. “So, how was work?” She asked trying to strike up a conversation.

“Work was…okay. I guess.” Stefan rather unenergetically said as he sipped the calming tea.

“You don’t seem okay, though.” Macy pointed out. Stefan sighed as he tried to just drink his tea in silence. “Hey…what’s up?”

“It’s nothing, really. I just had a little argument with a doctor.” He said.

“Why did you want to correct a doctor while he was performing a surgery?” She joked. Stefan looked at her smugly. Macy bit her lip. “Sorry, it was a bad joke.”

Stefan looked at her and frowned. “Do you want to get on my bad side again?” He asked not letting her get a word in edgewise. “It’s just a doctor I really hate. Dr. Peter Lancaster.” He said.

Macy looked at him with wide eyes. “Dr. Peter Lancaster—you me the Dr. Lancaster? He had been my crush since he was featured on Doctor’s Today Magazine. He’s like the epitome of good looks and intelligence!” Macy said, oblivious to Stefan’s scowl.

“Wow, you’re working hard to get really angry at you huh?” Stefan asked her, raising an eyebrow.

Macy looked at him and tried hard not to chuckle. “What? I was just saying that Dr. Lancaster is the perfect combination.”

Stefan felt his blood boiling. “Just what combination would that be? Stupid and Idiot?”

Macy shook her head with a smile. “Nope. Handsome and Intelligent!” She said.

Stefan eyed her as a warning that he wasn’t having fun. “Do you want to get kissed again?”

Macy looked at him. “No. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth ever since you kissed me.” She joked, trying to lighten the mood. Stefan looked at her as if he was about to lunge forward and bite her.

“Just what did you say?” He asked in disbelief. Macy giggled slightly and pinched his cheek. He swatted her hand away. “Stop that.” He demanded.

“Are you perhaps jealous?” She teased. She knew that Stefan didn’t really have feelings for her—or so she thought—so she will just keep teasing him with the hopes that she wouldn’t make him fall for her because if he did, she’ll just end up getting him hurt and she doesn’t want that.

“Why would I be jealous?” Stefan asked Macy defensively. “I have no reason to be.”

Macy batted her eyelashes at Stefan. “Really?” She asked him playfully. Stefan threw a piece of cookie towards her. “Hey!”

Stefan looked at with a smile. “I think you need a serious reality check Miss Bernardson.” He said. “I’m not in to you.” He reassured.

Macy smiled at him. “That’s good. Because I’m saving myself for Dr. Lancaster.” She squealed girlishly which annoyed Stefan even more.

“I don’t want to hear Dr. Lancaster’s name again. Okay?” He said firmly. Stefan can’t seem to admit it but he is jealous of that man. Why wouldn’t he be? Macy seemed to be drawn to that damn doctor. He shook his head. Why on earth is he thinking like this? He felt his throat constrict. “I need some fresh air.” He said before leaving Macy alone in the dining area.

“Look at that guy, what a grouch.” Macy said with scowl. Just then someone sat on the chair were Stefan sat on earlier. She felt numb as soon as she saw the person in front of her.

“Not greeting me anymore, Miss Bernardson?” Dr. Adrien Van Camp said with a cold expression on his face. He waved Macy’s apparent rudeness and spoke up again. “So, how is your other job? The job that I asked you to do?” He asked.

Macy looked away. That job. It makes her sick. What kind of father would want to see his son get his heartbroken?  She felt disgusted to even think about that job.

“What? You’re not backing out are you?” Dr. Van Camp teased.

Macy looked at him and couldn’t believe that there is such a person like this man. She really wanted out of the situation but this man is capable of so many things and it scares the hell out of Macy. She looked up at him, eager to ask a question that’s been bothering her ever since stepping foot inside this house for her job. “Why do you want to hurt your own son?”

Dr. Van Camp flashed a very vindictive smile which made Macy feel even more nervous than before. “Why do I want to hurt him?” he repeated the question. Macy nodded nervously. He chuckled, thinking that it was a very silly question. “Are you sure you want to know?” He asked again, this time, he seems to be daring her to say that she wants to know. Macy cringed.

“I’m not sure I want to know anymore.” She stood up and began to walk off but before she even got farther, Dr. Van Camp spoke once again.

“Miss Bernardson, keep this in mind though, once he falls for you…break it off with him…that’s our deal…” he said with a bemused smile which made Macy feel so scared. She didn’t respond anymore. She walked out as well following Stefan.


Stefan was picking at some of the flowers in the field that same day. Earlier he had this little jealous argument with Macy. He felt especially envious of the fact that Macy takes a liking for that rat face loser. Stefan was better looking and that Peter Lancaster can’t even compete with him in Mathematics. “Why am I being like this?” he asked himself.

“I think you’re the only one who’ll be able to answer that.”

Stefan looked behind him and saw Macy. He didn’t smile but he did end up looking away once again. He was still mad at her for looking over him earlier. “What are you doing here?” he asked her.

Macy looked at him and smiled. “I was looking for you.” She said simply. Stefan looked at her, dumbfounded.

“And why were you looking for me?” He asked, trying to hide the fact that he was happy because of what he’d just heard.

She elbowed him on the chest lightly. “Come on, of course I’ll look for you. We’re friends.”

That word…friends felt like a huge blow to Stefan’s ego. He couldn’t even move. They’d kissed two times already. He’d been nice enough to her in the past couple of days. And was even genuinely jealous of that twit Peter Lancaster just to be called a friend; her reckoned that they’d be more than friends already. This thought made Stefan even more resentful towards Macy.

“We’re not friends.” He said coldly.

Macy looked at him and smiled. “Aw, are you still mad because of Dr. Lancaster?” She teased, putting an arm around him for emphasis.

Stefan shook of her arm and looked at her. “I never kissed my friends.” Stefan said as he leaned in and kissed Macy unexpectedly.

Macy’s eyes grew wider. Stefan’s lips felt so soft against hers, she tasted the chamomile tea that she prepared earlier. Again, the butterflies burst in her stomach and she felt suddenly light and airy—in a good way. She closed her eyes and allowed herself to get lost in the kiss that she is sharing with Stefan. This wasn’t so supposed to happen, but it felt so right yet she knows that this will mean something not only for Stefan but also for her, and it scared her so much. When they pulled away Stefan was grinning from ear to ear.

“Like I said, I never kiss my friends…” He told her breathlessly.

 

End of the 6th Chapter


Do Leave Comments and Happy Ready Guys!