When Love Hurts

I Do But I Don't

Macy was too preoccupied right now. She felt the need to pack her things and go on her way. Earlier, she’d talked to Dr. Van Camp about leaving and he just laughed to her face. She couldn’t believe that man. She closed her eyes willing herself not to cry as her conversation with that man came back to life.

Earlier

“So, you’d like to end your contract” Dr. Van Camp said with an evil glint in his eyes. “Well, that can be arranged, Ms. Bernardson, but you do know the consequences of your decision right?”

“I don’t really care about what you plan to do with my debt, but I’m really curious as to why you want to hurt your son so badly.” Macy paused looking at him straight in the eyes. “What kind of father are you? How can you hurt your own son, your own flesh and blood like he means nothing to you?” Macy said what she wanted to say to him ever since she set foot inside this household.

Dr. Van Camp looked at her as if he was looking at a mere peasant. Then, he chuckled. It sounded scary to Macy but she held her ground. She really needs to know what’s going on inside this man’s head and why he’s acting like this towards Stefan.

“Are you sure you want to know?” He said as he took his glass of whiskey from the end table and looked at it as if it were that best tasting whiskey in the world. “Because if I tell you now, you can’t take it back.”

Macy stood her ground and nodded.

Dr. Van Camo eyed her and smiled a scary smile once again. “Suite yourself.” He said as he stood up and walked towards the window and looked at the garden outside. “But let me ask you this first. Have you ever been deceived?” He laughed as he didn’t let Macy get a word in edgewise. “Oh, wait you did the opposite of that. You helped me deceive that ingrate.”

Macy felt her insides swirling. What is this person going to tell her? Is it that bad?

“It’s plain and simple. He is not my son.” Dr. Van Camp faced Macy with a very serious and sinister expression. “His mother, that little minx, cheated on me.”

Macy suddenly couldn’t move. She can’t even speak right now. What the hell did this man just say? Stefan isn’t a Van Camp? That’s impossible.

“What? Did I just pour a pail of cold water all over you?” He asked her with a smile that still scared her.

Suddenly it hit her with visceral force. There was a clue all along. It was when Stefan’s grand father told her the story about Stefan’s mom and his now step father. It all came together. The pieces of the puzzle that Macy had been trying to put together; but how can this man even take revenge on someone who is innocent. How can he pull this stunt to someone who looked at him and saw a father?

Macy’s knees got weak and she held on to the drawer next to her for leverage and support. Then one question remained in her mind that she needed to get an answer. “Why did you want me to do this job of hurting your him?” She asked weakly.

He smiled at her once more and took a seat across from her. “It’s simple.” He paused as he poured himself another glass of whiskey. “I wanted to hurt him just like when his mother did the same to me.”

End of Flashback

Macy was now lugging her luggage down the stairs when someone held her hand. She gasped and turned to look behind her. It was Stefan. His eyes were rim red and his lips were chapped. It had only been a few days since they last talked and by the looks of it, Stefan had been crying.

“Is it true?” he asked her with an emotional voice.

Macy gulped and looked away. “Macy, please tell me it’s not true.” He begged as tears rolled down his cheek. Macy wanted to wipe away those tears but she couldn’t.

“Is it true that my father paid you to…” Stefan didn’t continue what he was about to say because his fist met the wall. Macy jumped, shock coursing through her veins as she saw Stefan’s bleeding hand.

“Stefan, I…”

“This is bull!” Stefan roared as he cut Macy off. “What did I ever do to you?” He asked angrily. “I’ve never felt this way before yet you played with my feelings.”#

“Stefan…I didn’t mean to, I was just…”

“You were just looking to have a good time while getting a lot of money from my father?” He asked. “You really are a gold digger.” He said pointing a finger toward Macy.

“Stefan…how much did you hear?” It was a stupid question but she needed to know. She didn’t want him to know what his father told her about Stefan not being his son. She’d rather that he hated her than he him getting hurt because of being a love child of his mother. Macy felt constrict as she waited for an answer.

“I heard enough when my father told you that it was your job to hurt me. Why is there anything more that I should know because left when I heard what you said? Is there anything more?” Stefan asked hoarsely.
 

Macy felt relied when she heard that. “Nothing.”

Stefan chuckled a little and felt his anger boiling over. “You act so nonchalantly about this.” Stefan looked at her with fire in his eyes. “I hate you…I hate the fact that I liked you…I hate the fact the I met you and I hate fact that I even bothered to get to know you…you know what you are?” He said with a sly—wary yet enigmatic smile. “A little gold digger looking to get wealthy.”

It hurt that Stefan said those things but Macy deserved it. She willed her tears not to fall because she needed to end this like she didn’t care. “Are you done?” She asked mustering up the courage to speak. “Because I have a ton of shopping left to do since I got a lot of money from your dad.”

Stefan looked at her as if he’d seen a ghost. “Are you not even going to explain yourself?” He asked her.

Macy began to lug her things and when she was already near the door, she turned around and gave him a fake, y smile. “It was nice playing with you.” She blew him a kiss then got out of the house that made her happy and scared at the same time. Tears escaped from her eyes as she walked as if she had been defeated in a thirty minute wrestling match. She looked back at the house and sighed.

“It’s better this way.” She whispered.

End of Chapter

I hope you enjoyed reading and do leave comments!