A Job You Can't Refuse

I Do But I Don't

 

 

“That man has some nerve sending one of his butlers here.” Macy said as she plopped on the couch angrily. Lana just looked at her weirdly while Greg just shrugged in response.

“But didn’t you hear what the man said? Stefan Van Camp doesn’t have any idea about this whole thing.” Lana said as she pulled her hair in a messy pony tail.

Greg nodded in agreement. “Lana’s right Macy, he did tell us that Dr. Adrien Van Camp sent him. Besides, you still have to pay for the debt that your father incurred under your name, right”

Macy looked at her friends and sighed. “I feel like everything’s going so wrong.” Lana placed an arm around Macy shoulder and squeezed hard which made Macy yelp. “Ow,” Macy said, slapping Lana’s hand away from her. “You could’ve torn my rotator cuff, crazy psycho.”

Lana chuckled. “Sorry.” She pause as she sat properly. “This might be your chance, Macy.”

“Agreed.” Gregory seconded Lana.

Macy looked at her friends. “I guess you guys are right.”

 


 

“I can’t believe I’m doing this…” Macy whispered to herself when she was in front of the Van Camp Mansion Double Gates. She looked down at what she was wearing: Plain white top, butched baggy jeans and beat up converse. Nice.

She pressed the door bell and was greeted by a crackly voice. “Who are you?”

“Hi—um…I’m—uh, Macy Bernardson, Mr. Harold Dennison offered me a job.” Macy couldn’t even believe the words that are coming from .

“Can you wait for a while? I’ll have to verify with Butler Dennison.”

“Yes. I’ll wait.” Macy said in a voice that seemed to nervous even for her liking. After several minutes of waiting, the double gates opened and she Macy went face to face to the best looking house she’d ever seen. Freshly cut grass, flower beddings everywhere, and a humongous pool that borders the left side of this mansion. As she looked around, someone tapped her shoulder and as she turned around, Butler Dennison’s friendly and comforting smile met her.

“Hell, it’s very nice to see you.” Macy bowed as she greeted the man.

“It’s nice to see you too, Miss Bernardson.” He said as he motioned for her to walk with him inside the mansion. “I’m assuming you changed you mind?” He asked.

Macy nodded shyly. “If you’ll still have me. I’d like to give this opportunity a shot.” She sais as Butler Dennison opened the door. Macy’s jaw dropped when she saw what was inside. Everything seemed so expensive.

“I’ll lead you to Dr. Van Camp’s office, come along.”

After a few flights of stairs, they reached the office and as the door opened. Macy felt even more nervous. A man in an expensive looking suit walked toward her. “Ah, Miss Bernardson, what a pleasant surprise.”

Macy bowed and greeted him as well.

“I will make this short Miss Bernardson,” He said as he handed her a cup of tea which she gladly took. “You will be in charge of my father’s well being and not only that, you also have an extra job…” He said with a smile that seemed friendly yet devious at the same time.

“Another job? What would that be sir?” She asked him.

“I want you to make my son fall in love with you.” He said simply and directly. “And when he does, break it off with him.” He said.

Macy almost spewed the tea she was sipping. “Pardon me sir, make you son fall in love with me and once he is, I’ll break it off with him?” She asked as the shock seemed to electrify her whole body. “Sir, I don’t think I can do that…that just seems so wrong…”

Dr. Van Camp tapped his pen and smiled. “I knew you were going to say that.” He said. “But don’t you want to pay your debts?”

“I can pay you quadruple of the initial amount that I was going to pay you.” He said.

“Quadruple?” Macy said as she felt a lump forming in .

Dr. Van Camp nodded. “If you’re not willing to do it,” He paused eyeing her evilly which made Macy shiver. “I can make sure that the interest in your debt will blow up and no one will ever take as a nurse.”

Macy felt go dry as she listened to the man in front of her. Then, Dr. Van Camp handed her a contract and smiled. “What do you say?” he asked.

Macy’s mind began to swarm with thoughts of bad things that may happen which made her make an impulsive decision she knows she’ll regret in the future.

 


 

Stefan just finished jogging. He finds it stress relieving. To just be able to run freely and be untouchable.  As he was rounding the corner, he saw a woman going down the stairs of his family’s mansion. As he got closer, he saw that nurse—Macy Bernardson. As he began to approach her, his icy persona began to make an appearance.

“You have some nerve to be here, psycho.” He said. Macy looked at him with a gloomy face before in disappeared entirely.

“I just had a job interview, crazy ert.” She said as she raised an eyebrow at him.

Stefan just laughed sarcastically. “Me?” he pointed at himself. “Weren’t you the one who came onto me?”

Macy looked at him. “Whatever.” She said as she stepped forward and smiled. “Looks like we’ll be seeing each other more often, .” She said as she winked sarcastically at him. Stefan flashed a confused expression.

“What do you mean by that?” He asked her poignantly. Macy stuck her nose in the air and smiled.

“I’ll be here twenty-four-hours a day seven days a week. I mean, I’m your grandfather’s new Personal Nurse.” She said.

“What?” He asked in disbelief

“What do you mean what?” She asked him with a fierce expression. “See you around…” She gave him a three finger wave and walked off.

“Hey! Psycho! I’m not done talking to you! Hey!” Stefan shouted at the top of his lungs but Macy didn’t bother to look back. Stefan stormed in to the house and asked for his dad but Butler Dennison got in his way.

“I need to talk to my dad, please!” He said. “Why’d he hire that Psycho?”

“Young Master, your father is convinced that Miss Bernardson is the best for this job so please, just stay calm.” Butler Dennison stated as he pushed Stefan back into his room as the doors closed Stefan began to get angrier.

He didn’t know how that girl managed to get a job in his house but he’ll find a way to kick her out. “Let’s see how long you’ll last…”

 

 

As soon as Macy was out of the Van Camp Mansion, her heartbeat began to beat so fast. She didn’t even know why she agreed with the contract but if she didn’t sign it, she’ll be dead meat just like what Stefan’s father warned her.

“Like father like son.” Macy told herself as she placed a hand in her chest. “But still, if I do this…and I become successful with this ‘job’ I’ll end up hurting someone…maybe I did the wrong thing…but what can I do? I already signed that stupid contract and now, that household clearly owns me now.”

Macy looked up. “Please forgive me for what I’m about to do.”

Hey guys! I’m sorry for the relatively short update and if you catch some misspelled words and grammatical errors, I apologize. I’ve been sick with the flu the last few days and still recuperating. Anyway enough about me, what do you think of the story so far? Do leave comments and Happy Reading!