Possibility

Emergency Doctors

Hong Ji Hong can be considered as one of the best surgerons in the South Korea. He has spent his time overseas - sharing his skills and advancing his knowledge with certain fields. His existence alone makes everyone feel like they're about to experience something new in their career. His sense of knowledge is beyond anyone in the hospital. Hong Ji Hong can be considered as the work of God among his colleagues. Nothing fazes him that much. When he stays focus on something, he will finish it knowing that he has done his best. He does what he loves because he knows he is living out his own dream but also his adoptive father's. Helping out patients and making them feel better is all that he knows in his line of work. What he does make people happy but also the people he loves happy. He's the definition of what a happiness is like - hiding away the pain and sorrow for that smile that can be contagious to others.

That is what he stood as for other people. This is exactly what he thought he has been trying to be. That was until now.

Ji Hong looked at Yoon Do and started cracking up as if it had to be the most random joke in the world. "Are you drunk?" They had just left work and Yoon Do suddenly wanted to meet up at a restaurant for dinner. Considering that he felt bad about not paying that much attention to Yoon Do in their previous dinner arrangement, he had agreed. So when Yoon Do suddenly came out of the blue with this sort of joke - it's a bit jarring and funny at the same time. "Stop playing around."

"Do I look like I'm playing around?" Yoon Do asked seriously as he puts down his glass of water. Taking something out of his briefcase, he slid over a manila folder to Ji Hong's side of the table. "I've been doing my research for a couple of days now. I wanted to be sure of everything before I drop this bomb on you."

Putting down his fork, he wiped his mouth with a napkin. Taking the folder, he couldn't help but chuckle as he opened it. "What is this?"

Yoon Do cleared his throat and sighed. "I suspect that you may have Toxic Optic Nerve Diease," he watched as Ji Hong started flipping through all the research he has done on it. "You have trouble telling the difference between colors lately. Some of the staff members has thought that it may be from stress but it's been happening alot. Wearing two different socks four times a week? That's not normal unless you're meant to be doing that." His eyes scanned Ji Hong as he squinted and rub his eyes. "You have trouble seeing certain things now. Your eyes have been hurting for a while, hasn't it? Most importantly, a couple of days ago - you thought that your lights were off when they weren't. You didn't see me when I was walking forward, you didn't see my hand waving in front of you - none of it. The diease has slowly started to eat away your vision, Doctor Hong." He held his hands together as he leaned forward. "In most cases, this can lead up to blindness."

Ji Hong skimmed through the last page and puts down the stack of papers onto the table. "Just because I've been wearing mixed match socks or had a small blackout doesn't mean that I am suffering from this, Doctor Jung."

"I knew you were going to deny it," Yoon Do answered. "But don't view this from your standpoint as a citzen. Sit here and think about it in your doctor's standpoint. If you still think the same, fine. I won't talk about it again. I won't even tell Doctor Yoo. If for some reason you are going to be logical and believe that this could be a possiblity, I need you to get tested right away." Yoon Do looked at Ji Hong with concerned eyes. "We can treat this early with the right medicine. It's only if you choose to do the right thing and treat this. Think about it if this was a patient, if you were a patient."

"I'm sorry but I don't think - "

"Think about Doctor Yoo," Yoon Do interrupted him. "How would she feel? If this was her, if she had the possibility of having this wouldn't you want her to do the same? Get checked out and get the right medicine to help slow it down?" He paused before he saw the last few words. "Don't you want to keep seeing Doctor Yoo in your life with your own two eyes?"

Ji Hong looked up at him with no response.

. . .

Seo Woo carried her two suitcases into the building, taking a deep breath with every single step she took. She looked up at Hye Jung and Soon Hee, smiling. "This is all brand new to me..."

Soon Hee grabbed one of the suitcases and shook her head. "It'll be okay. Think of all the fun conversations we'll have at night." 

Hye Jung took the other suitcase and smiled. "Of course, I'll be leaving in six months." She has decided to move in with Ji Hong in six months. It's a decision that she and Ji Hong both made when they had dinner the other day. It's different, yes. But it's not like she hasn't lived with a man before. "You will share the room with Soon Hee for a while and until I move out, you can take my room."

"Alright," Seo Woo nervously put her hands together as she sat on the couch. Wanting to branch out on her own, she has decided to move out. Living under the same roof with her family has been great but she can't stand on her own two feet if she keeps being fed with their money and lifestyle. "Thanks for letting me live with you guys."

"It's not a problem," Hye Jung said as she made a cup of tea for Seo Woo. "To be honest, Soon Hee and I always wondered what it would be like if you first joined us when we bought this place."

"You guys even thought of me back then?" Seo Woo asked surprised. 

"Of course!" Soon Hee screamed a little too excitedly. "Who do you take Hye Jung and I as?"

Hye Jung took a seat on the couch, blowing away the heat from her cup of tea. "I think what you're choosing to do is very admirable." No matter how Seo Woo seemed independent since high school, everyone knew that her family is holding back. Surprisingly once her father has slowly started to recover from the surgery, her father hasn't done anything that seems alarming. Seo Woo even told her that her dad wants to go on an overseas trip with the family. Something that hasn't been done in a while. "You will soon learn that living alone with friends will be more relaxing and carefree."

Seo Woo laughed. "When will you move out? I'll like my own room soon." She laughed even harder when Hye Jung threw a couch pillow at her.

. . .

Ji Hong stared at the research papers on the table as he slowly started tapping his fingers against it. What if what Jung Yoon do is saying is true? It could become a possibilty. Doctors can get sick too, like Choi Kang Soo. All he has to do is get tested and then results will come in. He can get the right medicine, trying to ease the process of the diease. There's no big deal to this, absolute no big deal. His eyes adverted over to the bookshelf he has displayed - all the medical books and notebooks he has used as a student, professor and now surgeron. They are all indicate the hardship he went through to be here he was today. Every single one has a memory of him studying and his father watching him with a proud delicate smile. 

What will happen if he won't be able to go any surgeries anymore? Yes, he gets tired and stress from the surgeries that he has lined up. But they have become a part of him that he doesn't think he can really let go. Ji Hong looks down at his shaking hand, these hands help so many people. These hands are what saves people. 

"Teacher Hong...." Ji Hong looked up to see Hye Jung standing near him. "What are you doing? I've rang your bell a thousand times. I thought something happened to you." She walked closer over to him, concern all over her face.

"Oh, Hye Jung." He cleared his throat and sat at the end of the table, his hands interlocked. "Aren't you supposed to be helping Seo Woo move in?" 

Hye Jung stood in front of him. "Just finished a couple minutes ago." She watched as he was adverting her stare. "Thought I would come over and spend some time with you. Is there something wrong?"

"Wrong?" Ji Hong repeated. "No," he chuckled to let the tension in his body go away. "It's nothing. I was trying to remember some stuff. Guess I got lost and didn't hear you at the door." He wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him. "Why? Why didn't you come earlier? I've missed you."

She smiled brightly. "I was thinking...." Opening her purse, she showed Ji Hong a page of a magazine that she ripped out. "What about this?" Ji Hong looked at the page, his eyes widened to see such a long, beautiful wedding dress. Not only is it simple but it shines due to the very detailed embroiled sewing. "When I saw it, I don't know." She was completely shy. Never in her life she would thought that she would be in a room alone with her fiancé talking about dresses and venues. Teenager Yoo Hye Jung would've never believed this moment right now. "It's beautiful right?"

Ji Hong let out a small small, nodding his head. "It would be absolutely even more beautiful on you."

"I can't wait for you to see me wearing it!"

"Seeing.....you wearing it...." Ji Hong muttered to himself quietly. His eyes glanced up at Hye Jung's beaming bright face. The way she was brushing her hair away behind her hair as she went on and on about when she wants to buy it. The way she was clenching onto one of his hands as she expressed her desire to have a small, intimate wedding with people from the hospital. Even the way she was smiling was what made his heart even more. If he tells her about the possibility of this problem, would that smile disappear? Most importantly, this is something that Hye Jung would blame herself on. Since she was little, everything that has happened to her - she believes that it's her existence that makes everyone abandon her. Every single thing that people around her went through in someway, somehow - she puts it all on her shoulders. "Hye Jung-ah."

She stopped talking and looked at Ji Hong with a smile. "Hm?"

Lifting his hand up slowly, he brushed the strands of hair from her face. He smiled as he scanned everything about her face. Her twinkling bright big eyes, her perfectly shaped nose that he loves pecking with a light kiss, the beauty marks that she has that signifies and enhances her beauty even more. And those lips, the mouth that always seems to find away to talk back to him. Placing his hand onto her cheeks, he softly caress her skin. "I love you."

Hye Jung opened to reply with the same response when Ji Hong suddenly picked her up and slamming her against the wall. Her eyes widened from shock. Ji Hong quickly kissed her, every single kiss was eager and intense. She wrapped her arms around his neck as she kissed him back, every single second felt like a hour to them. As the kiss intensifies, Ji Hong held onto her tightly  and slowly started carrying her over to his bed. Placing her down gently, they both laid there - staring each other. "Teacher....." She paused, her eyes twinkling as she stared at him. "Oppa...."

Ji Hong smiled softly as he leaned down and kissed her again. With one hand on her face, he quickly searched for the light switch with his other hands - turning off the light. 

. . . 

Yoon Do took a deep breath and shook his head vigorously as he crossed his arms on his chest. "I can help you but lying to Doctor Yoo? No, I can't."

Ji Hong sighed. "I am willing to get tested for this. I will get it done with your help. All I am suggesting is that if it's nothing, we'll tell her. If there is something, we don't tell her." He stood up and gave Yoon Do the permission form to let him be his legal doctor for the test. "As time goes on, maybe I will tell her. It's up to me, you as my doctor have to keep my personal information confidential." 

"You can't do this. You're being stubborn." 

"If trying to protect her is being stubborn then okay."

Yoon Do groaned. "What is so bad about her knowing this? IT'S ONLY A POSSIBILTY. We don't know anything for sure! How can you be so selfish and not tell your future wife about this? Do you know - "

"Selfish?" Ji Hong interrupted as he raised his tone. "Do you know how scared I am right now? This isn't something that a surgery can fix! It's medicine induced. If one day the medicine doesn't work anymore, it will still eat away my vision! My vision can possibly be gone!" He stood up as all the fear and nerves in him exploded out. "There is a possibility that I won't be able to do surgeries anymore. My hands won't be able to touch a scalpel anymore because I won't be able to see anything! Most importantly, I won't be able to see Hye Jung again. I won't be able to see those eyes, those hands - I just won't see her...." He took a deep breath to relax himself. "If it's being selfish, just let me be selfish for a little bit. All I want is to save Hye Jung from the emotional pain that might be heading her way. If this is really nothing, she can go on her way with planning the wedding of her dream." He stopped and looked at Yoon Do. "And if it does end up being what it is.....give me after the wedding. After she has her happy day...and then I will tell her." 

Yoon Do sighed and looked down at the permission slip. Signing the piece of paper, he exhaled. "Let's get the tests started then..."

. . . 

Soon Hee and Seo Woo squealed in excitement as Hye Jung stepped out from behind the curtains with the wedding dress of her dreams. "You look so beautiful!"

Hye Jung twirled around, smiling as she looked at herself in the mirror. "Wow. I can't believe I'm wearing it." Thanks to Seo Woo's help, she found the dress a lot faster than she thought. 

"You look really beautiful," Seo Woo said as she walked over with a tuxedo suit in her hands. "Look. I found the tux you wanted Teacher Hong to wear." 

"Thank you!" Hye Jung smiled. "It's perfect."

Soon Hee jumped up and down in happiness. "You two are going to look so perfect at the wedding!"

"Ma'am?" Hye Jung turned around to see one of the workers walking over. "Your phone has been ringing..." 

"Thank you," she said as she took the phone. "Hello?"

"Doctor Yoo!" Nurse Hyun called out over the phone. "Your dad has woke up." 

. . . 

"This is going to be a secret." Yoon Do said as the machine rotates around Ji Hong's head. "Do you understand?"

Choi Kang Soo nodded his head as he watched the machine. Technically, he is still a resident thst is employed by the hospital. He hasn't left this position just yet. To get a phone call during his break from Doctor Jung was sort of scary especially when he was speaking in a rush and impatient tone. "In most cases, how long does it take for people with these cases to go legally blind?"

"It depends with each person especially the medicine. If the medicine stops working, it can happen - the blindness taking over his eyes...." Yoon Do said slowly as he looked over at the monitor. 

"Do you see something?" Kang Soo asked. "Is there something?"

Yoon Do glanced between Ji Hong through the glass and over at to the monitor in front of him. "I don't know yet..."

. . . 

Two Months Later. 

"Wouldn't these flowers fit more with this arrangement?" Hye Jung asked as she leaned her head against Ji Hong's shoulder. They are finally in the final stages of the wedding planning. Everything is happening so fast that she hasn't had time to be nervous yet. "What do you think?"

Ji Hong stared at it with a smile. "I think it'll be perfect."

Marking it with a big red circle, she sighed. "Can you believe that we're going to be married in two weeks? It doesn't feel real."

"Well, it's going to be." Ji Hong laughed. "I can't wait for you to be my wife."

Hye Jung leaned over, kissing him. "I can't wait for you to be my husband." She flipped over to the next few pages and gasped at a different type of flowers. "No, it's this one!" 

Ji Hong burst out into a laughter at how impulsive her decisions are. "Take more time on it, we don't have to rush that much. Flowers is the last thing on our list." He got up from the bed to get a glass of water. "Do you want anything, Hye Jung?"

"Beer is fine." 

Ji Hong opened the fridge to grab two beer bottles. As soon as he closed it, his footsteps halted when suddenly everything around him turns black. Clenching onto the bottles tightly, he cleared his throat. If he stays like this for too long, Hye Jung will notice. Risking it, he knows his place as if it's nothing and decided to blindly walk toward the bed carefully. Once his knee bit the edge of the bed, "Here."

Hye Jung smiled. "Thanks."

"I'll be back." Ji Hong said nervously before walking slowly over to the bathroom. Knowing that he's finally alone, he fell to the ground - breathing heavily as he blinked his eyes several times. Nothing. There is nothing. Everything is just black and blurry, he can't see anything. Getting up, he clenched onto the sink. Using his hands, he searched by feeling for a container that he kept hidden. "There you are," he muttered. Taking one pill immediately, he stood as he waited for the vision to slowly come back. Staring at himself in the mirror, he exhaled. "It's okay now. It's back." He took a deep breath. "For now..." 

 

A/N: sorry for the delay on this chapter! I've been so busy with some stuff. again, thank you so much for your lovely beautiful comments! you guys make me so happy! pls keep them coming, I love reading them! comments give me more inspiration so thank you! sorry for any of the mistakes! I hope you all like this chapter!