The One Percent

Emergency Doctors

Two Weeks Later, Hospital.

Hye Jung has gone through the feeling of boredom before. She mostly felt it during school or at home when she doesn't do anything. The one place where boredom didn't overcome her was the hospital. It's almost like a second home to her - a place where she hear the sounds of laughter, tears, and joy through her ears. Hye Jung knows that her career as a doctor comes with it's prices. But those are the type of prices that she is willing to face every single day if it meant that she can surround herself with those who are hopeful and grateful for another day. Never has she thought or even imagined herself to be sitting in this hospital - glad to be leaving this hospital and not come back for another week. Due to the circumstances of her injuries and the group of friends who had a thousand eyes on her - she barely could do anything except for laying in the bed, clicking through channels nonstop. The closest feeling of excitement she got in the weeks was a runaway patient who hid in her room. Hye Jung even tried to hide the patient from Yoon Do but he caught her lies and demanded her to stay in bed.

"Ready to leave?" Hye Jung looked up from her feet to see Ji Hong walking into the room. "I have the car waiting outside."

"Definitely." She got up from the bed, grabbing onto her duffel bag. "Are you positive the hospital will have no problem with you taking another week break?"

Ji Hong chuckled while taking the duffel bag from her. Placing his arm around her shoulder, he shrugged his shoulders. "I worked mostly double shifts for the last two weeks." He looked at her with a smile. "And I don't think Chief Kim has the ability to say no to anything I ask for a while."

"Because he lied to you?" Hye Jung asked. "If you're going to punish him like that, I deserve it too. It was a secret between Chief Kim and I."

"Oh," Ji Hong pulled her even closer to him as they walked out of the room. "I will soon."

Hye Jung laughed as she went across the hall, opening the door to Jun So's room. "Hey, little buddy."

Jun So looked up from his Superman toy and smiled brightly at them. "You came!" He jumped out of the hospital bed and hugged Hye Jung. "I can go with you?"

"Uh, I'm not sure." Hye Jung answered.

Ji Hong nodded his head and bent down so he could be look at Jun So in the eye. "Yeah, your grandparents has granted permission and signed the paperwork for us. You'll be staying with us for the weekend at least. Before you have to go back home."

Jun So smiled. "What are we going to do?"

Hye Jung shrugged her shoulders and looked up at Ji Hong. "I don't know. What are we going to do?"

"I was thinking that we go visit the amusement park today," Ji Hong held onto both of them as he chuckled. "Would that be okay?"

"Of course!" Jun So screamed while jumping up and down. He immediately rushed over to the hospital bed, gripping onto the Superman figurine toy. "Can we go somewhere else first?"

Hye Jung and Ji Hong looked at each other before their attention adverted back to Jun So. "Of course. Where?"

. . .

Jun So placed the flower next to his father's urn. "Hi, daddy."

Hye Jung cleared as she held onto Ji Hong's hands. She hasn't even thought about visiting Jun Ki - mostly due to the fact that she hasn't found the heart to do it. No matter how much she thinks about, Jun Ki became involved in her because of her. He was living a happy and fulfilled life with Jun So, taking care of him and becoming the best parent possible. Granted, Anna was the person that started it all. But if Hye Jung hadn't feed into that woman's little psychotic game - Jun Ki and everyone else wouldn't have gone thorugh the pain in the first place.

"Hye Jung..." Ji Hong clenched onto her hand tighter as soon as he noticed that she was starting to drift away. "Stop it." He furrowed his eyebrows together while looking at her. While the two week break was nice for her but he has spent most of that time - taking care of patients and most importantly, reminding Hye Jung that none of this is her fault. And he will keep doing so until she slowly start believing it herself.

"Do you think he can hear me?" Jun So asked.

"Every single word." Hye Jung smiled.

"I finally met Paris," Jun So said while touching the glass, it almost feels like he's holding his dad's hand at the moment. "She's very pretty like you said. Not prettier than mommy, no one is." The sound of Ji Hong and Hye Jung laughing caused Jun So to shyly along. "Do you remember what you promised me on the phone?" He sighed as he looked at the picture of him and his dad inside the glass. "You would pick me up from grandma and grandpa's. Take me back home to your house so we can take care of each other. We were supposed to make mom's wish come true. Be there for each other."

Ji Hong sighed. "Kid, I hope you understand that - "

"I know." Jun So interrupted him. "I don't blame him." He smiled and touched the glass one last time. "I just wanted to say that I know he had to do what was needed to do. You would never think twice on something that you believed in so much. And after meeting Paris and her boyfriend, I knew that he did the right thing." He got up and held onto their hands. "They saved my life, daddy. Probably like how you saved theirs, right?"

"Well, he saved Hye Jung's." Ji Hong corrected him. "But granted, I'm still very thankful."

Hye Jung smiled. "Did you bring the picture with you?"

"I did." Jun So took out the folded picture from his pockets. "Auntie Seo Woo made a copy of the picture for me to keep." He smiled as he opened the picture, revealing a happy and smiling Jun Ki and his mother as they held hands. It's the only picture he has left of his parents. "This one can go inside the glass."

Ji Hong took the picture and straightened it out a bit. "I think your dad is over the moon happy about this picture being with him." He ruffled Jun So's hair as he looked at him. "You make your dad so proud for being so brave and smart about life."

. . .

Yoon Do exhaled deeply as he put his last belongings into the box. Looking around the empty room, he couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. The plan of getting out of the promise deal he made with his grandpa became nothing more but dust. No matter how much convincing or practically begging he did, his grandpa won't let him out of it. A deal is a deal. Turning in his resignation letter in the hospital has to be the hardest thing he has done in years. Placing the lid on top of the box, he looked up when the sound of someone knocking distractd him. "Hey."

Seo Woo sighed. "I can't believe you're doing this."

"Well, I am." Yoon Do clenched onto the box and shrugged his shoulders. "If there is one thing I understand with a family full of polticians, they're pretty stubborn people." He walked over to her and chuckled. "At least I had a good run as a doctor."

"No!" Seo Woo knit her eyebrows and shook her head at the idea that Yoon Do will be gone from this hospital. "There shouldn't be an at least, don't you understand? Being a doctor, a surgeron - is your dream. It's what you love doing. How can your family take it away from without a moment of doubt or even regret?"

"I told you," Yoon Do started walking out of his office. "Being a politician takes away all your emotions."

Seo Woo scoffed. "All the more reason to not go through with it."

"A lot harder than you think." Yoon Do stopped in front of the elevator and exhaled deeply. "Well, you should go." He gave Seo Woo a side hug and smiled. "Since all my patients are given to you, take care of them for me please."

Since Anna's departure from the hospital, her position had to be filled. After much discussion and meetings, the board members decided that it's best if Jin Seo Woo would take it. Although she may be a fellow but she is definitely up for the task. Hye Jung didn't want it - she still felt as if she needed to learn more and provide the time she missed out during the one year she left. Eventually, Seo Woo has took over Anna's position. "You can't just leave..."

Yoon Do walked into the elevator and shrugged his shoulders. "If you find any possible way to convince my family otherwise, I'll come visit sometime." Before Seo Woo could answer, the elevators closed - leaving her behind.

. . .

Ji Hong laughed as he took a few steps back, trying to capture the best picture from his phone. "Stay still!"

"It's the wind!" Jun So giggled as he held onto his cotton candy and ballons. "Paris! Come on!"

Hye Jung picked up Jun So and posed for the picture. "We're ready!"

"One....two.....three..." Ji Hong clicked the button several times to get the right image. He immediately rush over to them to capture a picture with them together. "One...two...three!"

Hye Jung grabbed the phone and laughed at how the picture looks like. "Your face is cut out of the picture!"

"Eh, it's still good." Ji Hong kissed her forehead and chuckled. "What else do you want to do, Jun So? We have an hour left?"

"Hmmm....ferris wheel?" Jun So pointed at the ride. "Please?!"

Hye Jung nodded her head. "Why don't you get a head start? We'll be right there."

Ji Hong wrapped his arms around her, kissing Hye Jung softly. "How do you feel today? Happy?"

She smiled before she wrapped her arms around his neck. "If I'm with you and Jun So, I'll always be happy."

He furrowed his eyebrows together. "Hye Jung, I don't think you should keep your hope on that."

"What do you mean?" She lets go of her arms, stepping back. "Huh?"

"Jun So can only be with us for this weekend," Ji Hong said. "It took a lot of pleading for his grandparents to agree with this. He's not ours. He belongs with his actual family."

Hye Jung narrowed her eyes at him. "You mean the family that threw Jun Ki away with cash and toys? Like the way they're doing to Jun So? That Superman toy? Grandpa Lee gave it to him so he could play by himself quietly." During the two weeks in the hospital, Hye Jung spent a lot of time with Jun So. Telling stories and playing board games together nonstop. With that time spent, she started to find out that Jun So's grandparents are treating him no different to how Jun Ki was treated. Given cash during the day, eat dinner by himself and surround himself with toys because he's lonely. It angers her that even after a new generation has arrive, they haven't changed their ways. "We're actually the ones that take care of him!"

Ji Hong exhaled deeply. "But he's not ours." The hurt in Hye Jung's eyes made him feel regretful that he had to spit the words out like this. "He has a family and it's not us."

"What kind of family treats him like that?"

"The kind where it's not our business." Ji Hong answered.

Hye Jung scoffed. "So after this weekend, we won't see him again?"

"We can visit most of the time, of course we can." Ji Hong said. He tried to touch her face but she slightly turned away. "You can't blame yourself over this."

"I'm not blaming myself!" Hye Jung argued. "This is about how we can help Jun So, not make him lonely like the way they did to Jun Ki."

"By doing what? Take him away from his own family?" Ji Hong sighed deeply. "Jun Ki didn't blame you for his death." He looked at her with concern eyes. "You shouldn't either."

"This isn't about Jun Ki!" Hye Jung said loudly. "This is about doing what is right! We can take Jun So in! We can adopt him!" She clenched onto Ji Hong's hands, her eyes pleading him to grant what she wants. "We can be his new family."

Ji Hong shook his head. "I'm sorry." He pulled his hands away and sighed. "He can be with us for the weekend and that's it."

Hye Jung watched as he walked over to the line where Jun So was standing. "You know you can't stop me."

He turned to look at her. "What do you mean?"

"I can adopt him without you." Hye Jung said slowly. "This can be done without you."

Ji Hong knew Hye Jung has always been stubborn. "Fine. Do whatever you want. Take him away from his family, a family he grew up with. I know that you care about him after all the time you've spent with him. I do care for him too so it's hard for me to say this but we can't do that. Yes, his grandparents are merely rich spoiled asses who give money away but what child doesn't have a screw up family? We both did." He paused speaking for a few seconds. "And didn't our screw up background made us into the way it did? We're perfectly fine."

. . .

Seo Woo stared blankly at the wall in front of her with Young Gook by her side. "No matter how much I think about it, what they're doing to Yoon Do is just wrong."

Young Gook glanced up from his food. "Yeah but what can we do? It's his family and their business."

"Their business," Seo Woo started poking at her food. "The rich and political life that he didn't even want to be in the first place."

"Hey," Hye Jung sat down at the table with Jun So behind her. "Sorry for being late." She briefly looked up at Ji Hong, they haven't spoken since their little fight at the amusement park. Let's just say the car ride to Sooni Hawaii was extremely awkward and filled with music. "How's Yoon Do?"

"Gone." Young Gook said. "He can't even come out and see us for a bit. His grandpa wants to brief him on the upcoming events."

Ji Hong took some fries from Young Gook's plate. "He does have a choice to leave." He looked at them. "He's thirty-seven years old. He's beyond the years of making his own decisions."

"That's a little hard for him," Seo Woo answered. "His family had him wrapped around their fingers for years all the way to his adult years. Trust me, coming from someone like me who barely just managed to break free, it's not that easy. Yoon Do broke free of them and finally got to live the way he wanted to. But now - that choice is taken from him." She looked at Ji Hong. "He already chose to disappoint and disgrace his family once. Do you really believe he is willing to do it again?"

Hye Jung sighed. "I feel as if this is my fault."

"Of course not." Seo Woo said. "It's his messed up of a family. That's the thing about us." She pushed her food aside and shrugged her shoulders. "As child, we let our family control in everything we do. They thought that giving cash and toys was all we wanted. What we wanted the most was love, care and attention. Maybe that's why Oh Anna turned out the way she did, I can understand her honestly." She briefly looked at Jun So and Hye Jung. "No offense."

Ji Hong started tapping his fingers on the table. "I see."

"If they would've showered us with that much care like they did with money, maybe we would love doing anything they wanted." Seo Woo said. "Yoon Do's parents filled his life with so much greed and politics, it made him feel as if he was choking. Being a doctor was his escape and now they took it away."

Everyone adverted their attention over to Soon Hee, who was hopping over with a bright smile on her face. "Hey!" She halted her steps once she saw Hye Jung. "I'll come back..."

Hye Jung sighed. "Soon Hee! Wait - " Soon Hee already rushed back inside the kitchen. She smiled and patted Jun So's shoulders. "I'll be right back." Getting up from the chair, she rushed inside the kitchen and sighed when she saw Soon Hee leaning against the wall. "Soon Hee..."

With tears b against her eyes, she glanced at Hye Jung and frowned. "I'm so sorry!!!!"

A little surprised by the sudden scream, Hye Jung laughed as she slowly made her way over. Leaning against the wall side by side with her, Hye Jung sighed. "You don't have to be sorry, Soon Hee-ah. I was never mad at you."

"But I was!" Soon Hee said. "I was so stupid enough to be mad at you. Why didn't I think it through? How could've I been so stupid enough to think that you were selfish and had no care for anyone?" She wrapped her arm around Hye Jung's and cried. "In actuality, you've been trying to protect everyone. I've known you the longest and I can't believe that I didn't put my faith in you."

Hye Jung softly smiled. "At the end, it doesn't matter. You were right all along."

"I was?"

"It was my own stupidity and confidence that I could do everything myself that caused this demise." Hye Jung said. "I kept denying the help coming toward me because I was fearful of harming others. Or maybe it's my lack of trust in some people. I just refused to grow up and believe that not everyone are bad. I just kept telling myself that as long as I keep everything inside, everything would be okay." She started laughing as she thought back to the past. "All I kept doing was lie behind your backs and continue on as if it's okay to do so."

Soon Hee frowned. "If it makes you feel any better, you've always been like that."

Hye Jung started picking at the little thread from her shirt. "Yeah but I think I need to start on changing."

"Well, it could make our friendship a little easier to handle." Soon Hee muttered under her breath. Hye Jung and Soon Hee looked at each other before bursting out in laughing.

"What's so funny?" Hye Jung looked over at the door to see Soo Chul walking in. "Can I join?"

"Soo Chul," Hye Jung wrapped her arms around him. "I've missed you. Where have you been?"

"Busy." Soo Chul said. "The hotel found out about what I did to their walls and well, let's just say - it took a week for me to convince them not to charge me on the damage. And it took another week for me to take off the pictures." He leaned against the wall next to the women and smiled. "Looks like everyone is meeting up at Sooni Hawaii tonight."

Soon Hee held onto Hye Jung, absolutely glad to be on talking terms with her again. "I'm not complaining. Good for business."

"What?" Hye Jung raised an eyebrow. "I believe I won't be paying my share. As payback for all that anger you gave me that day."

"What?! Do you know how much beer and food you have?!" Soon Hee screamed.

Soo Chul laughed as he exhaled. "I hate to be the bummer of the happy mood but," he looked at Hye Jung and put on his best smile. "I'm leaving."

Hye Jung knit her eyebrows in confusion. "What? Why?"

"Hmmm," Soo Chul chuckled. "I want to be with my son for a while." He shrugged his shoulders and sighed. "I've been too far gone from his life." His eyes adverted over to Jun So, who was laughing as he watched the adults argue over something. "For the past two weeks, I've been spending more time with him than my own son. And after what happened to Jun Ki, I started to realize a lot of things. Like how I shouldn't be wasting time with my son."

"Of course." Hye Jung hugged Soo Chul. "When are you leaving?"

"Tonight." Soo Chul answered.

Soon Hee sighed. "Well, let's go and party our butts off!"

Hye Jung wrapped her arms around their arms and laughed. "More free beer!" As they walked out of the kitchen and over to where everyone was, Hye Jung halted her steps when she saw Jun So being dragged off his chair by his grandparents. "Hey!"

Ji Hong furrowed his eyebrows together. "You said that he can spend the weekend with us," he tried to hold onto Jun So but his grandma smacked his hand away. "I don't understand. It's only been twelve hours."

"We want to take back our decision," Grandpa Lee said. "Our family is far too busy to have more people involve in our lives. And to be honest, especially not the type of people who got my son killed."

"If I remember right and I do," Soo Chul walked over. "It was your own niece that murdered your son."

Grandpa Lee nodded his head. "I understand but you all played a part in it." He clenched onto Jun So. "Let's go."

Jun So looked up at his grandparents and frowned. "But I want to stay longer with them!"

He groaned as he opened his wallet, taking out a stack of cash. "Here, go play somewhere while the adults talk."

Ji Hong scoffed at what he just witnssed and crossed his arms as Jun So sadly walked away with his Superman figurine toy in his hand. "I understand where the anger is coming from but what you promised us is important to us. To my fiancee."

Hye Jung glanced between Ji Hong and the grandparents. "If you would just let us spend one more night with him, we'll drive him back to your house. We promise."

"We're sorry but we're his family." And just like that, the grandparents grabbed Jun So and walked out of Sooni Hawaii.

Seo Woo sighed. "The damn 1%."

Ji Hong turned around to look at Hye Jung, apologetic eyes. "I'm sorry, I tried."

Hye Jung shook her head. "It's okay." She grabbed onto his hand and sighed. "They're right....you're right. It's not our business in the first place."

. . .

Ji Hong covered the blankets over Hye Jung as he slowly got out of bed and made his way out of the apartment. Crossing his arms across his chest, he furrowed his eyebrows and looked at Soo Chul. "Why did you want to meet up so late at night? Aren't you supposed to be on the way back to your son?"

Soo Chul chuckled. "I will be soon."

"What is it?"

"I have something for you."

Ji Hong watched as Soo Chul opened his bag, taking out a small box. "For me?"

"Yeah." Soo Chul smiled and exhaled deeply. "I should've given it to you sooner."

"What is it?"

"When you open it, you'll understand.  At least I hope you do, my friend." Soo Chul said.

"Friend?" Ji Hong kept his little argument to himself, considering the fact that he is nine years older than this young man. He opened the box and stared at the superman doll in confusion. "Isn't this supposed to be for Jun So?"

Soo Chul laughed. "It's for you, I'm sure of it. It's a meaningful gift. Look deeper than just the doll itself."

Ji Hong nodded his head. "Thanks - " he gasped when Soo Chul suddenly hugged him. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." Soo Chul smiled. "Just a goodbye. Thank you for being there with Hye Jung. I will always trust her in your hands."

"Well, this calls for another hug." Ji Hong grabbed and hugged him one last time again.

. . .

Ji Hong sat on the kitchen counter in the dark alone as he stared at the Superman Doll. It's been forty minutes now and he still can't understand why Soo Chul would give this to him. Groaning as he finally feel sleepy, he got up from the counter and start heading back to bed when he noticed a little opening on the side of the doll. "What the - " he opened the little hole and arched an eyebrow when he noticed two piece of papers inside. Pulling them out, he dropped the doll on the counter and opened the first letter. "Oh my goodness - " the first piece of paper was a letter. What surprised him the most that this letter wasn't from Kim Soo Chul but from Lee Jun Ki.

Dear, Hong Ji Hong

I also find it surprising that I am writing you this letter, it's a little funny. We don't even know each other. Meeting briefly at that welcoming party didn't do us very well because I was introduced as Hye Jung's new "boyfriend". Granted, we never really dated so you can exhale deeply. Let me give you a few seconds. Done? Did you breathe deeply? Alright, jokes aside. You probably got this letter because something happened to me or will be soon. I'm just going to take precautions and write this. Whether you get this or not, it will be up to fate. I don't know if you like me very much because of what I was forced to do in your relationship with Hye Jung. I promise you when I say this, I regret every moment of it. Because I slowly started to find out why you fell in love with Yoo Hye Jung. I guess it's not hard to, right? Despite the constant reminders of how bad my feelings can be, I couldn't stop myself. Hye Jung is definitely beautiful inside and out, something that is admirable. And what I love most about her is that courageous heart of hers. I have never met a person that was willing to drop everything they love to protect those who she loves. Not since my first love. I'm not going to carry on this letter for too long - I just thought of what I can do best for Hye Jung and for my son, Jun So. Coming from a family who gave no care or love toward me, I would really hate it if my son grows up in an environment like that. All it does if give you grief, worry, fear and even self doubt. You start asking yourself if this is happening because you deserve it or you just have a screw up family. Eventually, I started to find out what the actual reason was and it took too long. Being trapped in a family like that was awful and unbearable. My son, he is one of the brightest and most curious kid in the world. Sometimes he's so smart that it makes me so happy because it's a reminder of his mom. I want to keep that bright light shining and not have it be dimmed out by people who only care about greed or power. And maybe that's why I have come to this decision. Now, I don't know if you're a parent type or love the idea of having a kid that's not yours. I just hope that you can do this for me. Hell, I didn't even know if I was mature enough to be a parent but seeing Jun So for the first time two years ago when his mom died, it became the biggest and most important day of my life. And I hate that I may not be there for him in the future. If I can't, I want Hye Jung and you to be in his life. I've heard stories of your love, the way you two looked at each other since she came back from Paris - it's your love that I want my son to surround himself with. Whether I'm dead or not, I want what is best for Jun So. This may be a hard decision and take time with it.

Sincererly, Lee Jun Ki

Ji Hong couldn't believe what he actually read. He didn't even know Jun Ki but he found himself tearing up over this letter. Clearing his throat as he tried to control his emotions, he looked at the other piece of paper on the counter. He silently chuckled once he saw what it is. Adoption papers with Jun Ki's signature, giving parental rights over to Hye Jung and Ji Hong. All they need to do is sign the papers and turn them in. Holding onto the adoption papers, Ji Hong slowly walked over to the bedroom. His eyes staring at Hye Jung as she slept soundly.

. . .

Hye Jung and Ji Hong sat nervously as they held hands together outside the courthouse. It's been almost an hour since they were told to sit in the waiting room. The adoption papers were a surprise for everyone and Jun Ki's parents weren't happy about it. But there is nothing for them to do if Jun Ki has signed off his rights. As they sit and wait like this, their hearts is closer to a heart attack. "What's taking so long?!"

"Why does it seem like you're more nervous than me?" Hye Jung questioned.

Ji Hong shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know." He kissed the top of her head and sighed. "Since that night in Sooni Hawaii, the conversation Seo Woo was having about how life as part of the uncaring and greedy family - I couldn't get the idea of Jun So going through that out of my mind. And then that letter from Jun Ki really cemented my decision about this adoption." He clenched onto her hands even tigther. "And I want you to be happy, for Jun So to be happy....."

"Are you happy?" Hye Jung knit her eyebrows together. "With this decision."

"Hye Jung, I am happy." Ji Hong smiled softly as he let go of her hand to take something out of his pockets.

She gasped at the wedding ring in his hand. "Our rings..."

Ji Hong chuckled as he sighed. "We don't have to have a big wedding or even a small one. I just want us to be finally be official and I want it done soon." He took her hand, gently putting the ring around her finger. "As long as you're my wife and we have Jun So, I will never regret a single thing in my life."

"Of course I will be your wife." Hye Jung gripped onto Ji Hong's face and kissed him. "Forever."

Ji Hong exhaled deeply. "Good because I was really nervous."

"Paris! Paris!" Hye Jung and Ji Hong both looked over to the hallway where Jun So was rushing down with his backpack and toy in hand. "I can go home with you! They said I can now!"

Hye Jung smiled brightly as she opened her arms wide to hug him. "Oh my goodness..."

Jun So looked at them. "We're going to be a family? It's what my dad wanted?"

Ji Hong smiled as he hugged the both of them. He kissed the top of their heads as he clenched onto them together. "We're going to be a family."

 

 

A/N: Ahhhhhhhh! This has to be my favorite chapter that I've written. To be honest, I cried while writing Jun Ki's letter! Wow, this story has been a long journey and we only have one more chapter to go! It's so sad to end this story but it has come. I appreciate all the love and support for this story, I really do. Just always remember that all this inspiration comes from your beautiful support and comments! Thank you so much! Here is to one more chapter to this story! Also, thank you for the support for the upcoming new JIHYE story, Nightfall. It really means a lot! For those who hasn't subscribe it, please do! Thank you! I hope you liked this chapter! Sorry for any mistakes!