Vulnerability

Emergency Doctors

Paris, One Year Ago.

Hye Jung groaned at the bright sunlight that was reflecting from her hotel window, the only reason why she manages to wake every morning in her misery. Crawling herself out of the bed, she pulled the curtains harshly -  she drew a deep breath once she was surrounded in the darkness again. Rubbing her eyes, she squinted to see that it was a little past seven in the morning. Of course, she would wake up at this time. Finding every last bit of her strength, she stood up and walked over to the mini refrigerator to grab another bottle of whiskey. One absolute thing she loves about Paris is the endless booze that she gets - something she never got to enjoy while growing up. "Damn it," she muttered under her breath once she noticed the bucket of ice is empty. Hye Jung hasn't left this hotel room for almost a week now. The only time she does is when it's time to get more ice for her alcohol. Wrapping the ice bucket in her arm, she slightly opened the door - seeing no one from what she could notice, the door opened wider.

"Why are you hiding?" Hye Jung jumped in surprised to see mid-thirties man, leaning against the cheap hotel wall with a cigar in his mouth. For a man his age, he seemed to enjoy wearing the style of the youth. Of course, his face is absolutely.....flawless. (A/N: For those that want to have an image on who could play the role of Lee Jun Ki, I wrote this character thinking of the actor himself, Lee Jun Ki ^^) "Are you playing hide and seek with someone I don't see?" The stranger asked as he inhaled another drag of the cigar.

"No," Hye Jung answered. "Smoking is prohobited here." Why is she talking to this stranger? She hasn't spoken to anyone since she arrived to this hotel. It's been three weeks since she stayed secluded and that's exactly what she wants - to be alone and left alone. Hye Jung started to back away into the room again when the stranger laughed, the kind of laugh as if he was amused by her. "What?"

He shrugged as he took another long drag of the cigar. "I've stayed in the room across from you for a week now and this is the first time I've seen you. Th rumors about you are true."

She narrowed her eyes at him, confused about these rumors. "What are you talking about?"

"That a living ghost is staying in the room across from me who happens to be beautiful but crazy." The stranger dropped the cigar onto the ground and stomped it with his foot. "The only footage this hotel has of you is entering and walking back and forth to get ice. You're like a repeitive living ghost."

"Ghosts don't exist." Hye Jung stated. "And whatever the rumors may be, let it be. Goodbye."

"My name is Jun Ki, Lee Jun Ki." He smiled as he looked around the peeling wallpaper from the wall. "I am by far very surprised and happy to see another Korean in Paris. Someone I can talk to while I find a job here and there." Jun Ki looked at Hye Jung, smiling still. "I'm a freelancer."

Hye Jung exhaled deeply. "For someone who is as much as a stranger as you are to me, don't you think you're sharing a bit too much information? I could really careless about you."

Jun Ki nodded his head. "I see." He turned to open his room door and looked at Hye Jung again. "Well, hopefully we'll see each other again."

"I doubt it."

"Have a nice day, Miss Living Ghost."

Hospital, Present Time.

Hye Jung walked into the locker room, holding onto the back of her neck. She spent the last two hours of her shift focusing on updating her patients information in the computer. Thinking that she possibly strained her neck, the best thing she can do is just wait it out. Changing into her causal clothing, she shut the locker and turned around to see Oh Anna staring at her. "What?"

Anna simply smiled. "Great work today." (A/N: as for the character Oh Anna, I imagined and wrote her thinking of the actress, Han Chae Ah)

"Uhm, thanks..." Hye Jung put her handbag over her shoulders while knitting her eyebrows together. "Are you always think cherry happy after a surgery?" Considering that it's been almost four hours since the surgery they did, being this happy over something like this is something different for Hye Jung.

"I love it when there is a successful surgery," Anna laughed as she took off her pants to change into her casual clothing. "I don't think it's wrong to be happy over a surgery no matter how long the surgery took place."

Hye Jung nodded her head in agreement. "I mean, I'm not denying your happiness. I guess you have every right to be happy." The sound of a text message distracted Hye Jung from her thoughts as she took out her phone to read it. I'm downstairs. Got your favorite. - Jun Ki. A smile spread across her face as she sighed. "Have a goodnight, Doctor Oh."

"Anna."

She halted her steps at the door. "Excuse me?"

Anna smiled as she closed her locker and walked over, placing her hand onto Hye Jung's shoulders. "You can call me Anna when we're off duty."

Hye Jung eyed the hand on her shoulder, a little uncomfortable for someone who she isn't close with to be touching her. She slowly backed away as she opened the door, giving a small smile. "We're not as close to be calling terms like that. As for now, I would like to stick with our professional terms. Again, have a good night." She walked out of the locker room and immediately rushed over to the elevator before the doors closed. "Oh," she looked over at Ji Hong. "Hello."

Ji Hong glanced up from his phone and replied with an earnest smile. "Hello."

It has been almost two days since they last saw each other. After the little nondisclosed adventure of them in the countryside, they haven't been able to meet or work together since coming back. Which all in all, isn't that much of a problem. It's best for Hye Jung since she has to focus on finding out who the mysterious person is with Director Kim Tae Ho. Her eyes glanced over to the screen, she has never noticed how slow an elevator is until now.

Ji Hong cleared his throat as he shut off his phone and sneaked a peek at Hye Jung, he watched as she continued to hold onto the back of her neck. "Is it strained?"

"Yeah. It's from looking at my computer all day." Hye Jung replied as she groaned quietly.

"Don't you remember what I told you? You should always rotate your neck every ten minutes to help out the strain while working." Ji Hong cracked a smile. "You never did listen to me though."

Hye Jung looked at him, their eyes connecting for a few seconds before they both cracked out a laugh. "Well, I was a rebel."

Ji Hong chuckled after clearing his throat. It's almost crazy to be like this with Hye Jung - normal. The feeling isn't like before but it feels right to have a conversation or cracking a joke like this. Granted, there is still an ill feeling he has towards her because of that day when she left him but they have agreed to be civil for now. "Doctor Yoo, I actually want to ask if - " the elevator doors opened, he adverted his attention over to where Lee Jun Ki was standing, holding onto two smoothies. Ji Hong noticed the strawberry banana smoothie in his other hand which happens to be Hye Jung's favorite. Blinking his eyes several times as he drew a deep breath, he briefly looked at her and shook his head. "Nevermind."

"Wait, I - " Hye Jung tried to follow Ji Hong out of the elevator but he was too fast. She sighed while watching him exit out of the hospital. "Hi."

Jun Ki smiled as he handed her the smoothie. "I saw him." He glanced at the entrance door of the hospital and shrugged his shoulders. "Didn't get to see him clearly at that welcoming party but yes, he is definitely good looking."

Hye Jung rolled her eyes while sipping her smoothie. "Funny. You didn't have to come all the way over here. I could've met with you at the restaurant."

"It's fine. Plus it's nice to have someone drive to the restaurant instead of taking the cab to there." Jun Ki put his arm around Hye Jung's shoulders as they walk out. Quietly and carefully, he briefly turned around to see Anna walking out of the elevator. Their eyes connected for a quick second before going on with their business.

"When are you going to take that driver's test?" Hye Jung asked as they walked toward the parking garage. "You said that you want to stay and live here. No more travelling around to find quick, small jobs here and there. Don't you think you should take the test?"

Jun Ki shrugged his shoulders. "When I'm ready."

Hye Jung smiled. "Are you scared?"

"Scared?!" Jun Ki screamed out in pain as he clenched onto his chest as if he was physically hurt. "How could you?!"

"Are you forgetting that it took you two weeks to be approved for that temporary license to drive around in Paris?" Hye Jung laughed when Jun Ki wrapped his arms around her waist as he twirled her around. "Put me down!"

"Come on, I'm hungry." Jun Ki said as he got into the passenger seat.

From the far corner of the parking garage, Ji Hong bit his lower lip as he forced himself to look away at what he just witnessed. He jumped up when he closed the trunk of his car a little too forcefully. His eyes adverted over Hye Jung's car leaving the garage. Furrowing his eyebrows together, he quietly got into his car and stared at himsel in the rear view mirror. "What are you doing, Hong Ji Hong? She left you. Both of you are in a good place right now. There is no more unneeded awkwardness. Stop yourself now." He nodded his head at his own muttering as he start the ignition, driving out of the garage.

. . .

"Face it," In Joo said as she took a sip of her wine while narrowing her eyes at Ji Hong. "You were jealous."

"Jealous?" Ji Hong exhaled deeply while rolling his eyes as he drank his own wine. He knew that telling his best friends about what he saw earlier would result into a theory like this. "I wasn't."

Pa Ran eyed him suspiciously as he grabbed a handful of the chips in the middle of the table. "I've seen a lot of jealousy faces by some women who surrounds around me," In Joo and Ji Hong immediately scoffed at his comment. "Since I didn't get to witness your face or reaction at what you saw, I can't 100% say that you were jealous."

In Joo smirked. "Respond the way you would if Hong Ji Hong wasn't our bestfriend, Pa Ran-ah."

"You were jealous, very jealous." Pa Ran responded right away while smirking.

Ji Hong took the wine bottle, pouring him another glass. "I don't know why I keep letting you guys come into my house."

"The same reason why you always let my nephew come here for dinner." Pa Ran glanced over to the bathroom door that was opening, Yoon Do walking out with a towel in his hand. "Ah, there he is."

Yoon Do sighed and sat down next to his uncle. "It seems as if this place is always crowded nowadays."

In Joo looked at him. "We can always return to your house to hang out."

His eyes widened as he automatically shook his head. "It's good." Yoon Do adverted his attention over to Ji Hong, a smile spreading across his face. "I heard you were jealous."

Ji Hong groaned as he sat up, finishing the last drop of wine in his glass. "I'm too tired to be arguing over something like this with you." He slowly start to walk over to his bed, exhaling deeply as he rest his eyes. "Turn off the lights when you're all gone."

. . .

Seo Woo and Young Gook into Sooni Hawaii holding hands with bright smiles on their faces. Taking a seat at the nearest empty table, Seo Woo arched an eyebrow while looking around. "Tonight's really busy."

Soon Hee rushed over and smiled to see her friends after such a long day. "Good that you're here. I'm exhausted."

"What's the occasion?" Seo Woo watched as people walked in and out of the restaurant. "It's almost midnight, why is it still so busy?"

"Guess who's back?" Soon Hee asked excitedly.

Young Gook looked confused as he clearly knew that this is definitely between the two friends. Opening the menu to look for something eat, he muted himself out of the conversation between the women.

"Who?" Seo Woo scanned around the area for a familiar face but she can't find a single one. "Someone we're close with? Or knew?"

Soon Hee smiled. "Someone we briefly know in a way."

"Briefly know?" She was about to ask another question when she saw someone sneaking up behind Soon Hee and that's when she realized who it is. "Kim Soo Chul..."

Kim Soo Chul appeared in a suit and tie as he waved at Young Gook and Seo Woo. "Hey. Long time no see."

Seo Woo got up from her seat as she gave him a hug. "Wow, how long has it been?"

"A year?" Soo Chul sighed as he put his hands in his pockets as he looked at them. "I just returned from Japan. Thought I should come by and see Soon Hee."

Young Gook didn't want to be involved in this conversation but his curiousity got the best of him. "Does Doctor Yoo know you're back?"

Soo Chul's smile dropped as soon as Hye Jung's name came up. He cleared his throat and shook his head. "And if you don't mind, I'll like to keep that way."

Soon Hee nodded her head in agreement. "Nothing will change if she doesn't change first. There is no need for her to know that you're here."

Seo Woo and Young Gook both exchanged glances as they sighed. "Maybe..." Seo Woo knew that Soon Hee is still very angry toward Hye Jung. She has tried endless plea or even compliments at how much Hye Jung is opening up again, which may just be a small lie since Hye Jung has remained the same since coming back. "Yeah. Whatever you wish." She looked at Soo Chul, not knowing what else to say. Besides Soon Hee, Soo Chul is the next person that is the closest to Hye Jung. It's just so upsetting to see almost every positive aspect of Hye Jung's life isn't there for her. "Anyway, how's Japan so far?"

. . .

Director Kim Tae Ho exhaled deeply as the letter that he recieved from the police department concluded that there was no visible fingerprints on the letter that Ji Hong received earlier. "Why is this happening again?"

"I would like to know too," Hye Jung answered. "Did they say anything about the texts that I got? Anything about where the source or the carrier of the phone is?"

"None." Tae Ho looked at Hye Jung. "Whoever this person is they know how to mulitiplate certain factors."

Hye Jung thought about the voice. "Like the robotic voice?"

Tae Ho sighed. "Yeah, like that damn voice. I just don't understand how this person can sound like that."

"It's easy if you really think about it," Hye Jung said. "They could be carrying around a little machine that can change up our voices. It's easy and almost like gadget for kids these days." She put her hands together to control her nerves as she continued to speak. "Have you finished looking into the medical and surgery history of Ji Hong's?"

"Yeah. And there is no malpractice or anything that a patient could possibly be upset about for them to do this. Any sane person wouldn't be doing this." Tae Ho shook his head at the realization that both he and Hye Jung has gotten nowhere with this mystery depsite a year has passed. "I'm sorry, Doctor Yoo."

Hye Jung looked up from her shoes. "What?"

Tae Ho shrugged his shoulders. "For asking you to follow with what the order did a year ago. I still face myself with guilt everyday. He thinks that you left him because you didn't even know about his eye issue. I made him hate you and I don't even know when I will ever be able to stop apologizing to you."

"There is no reason for you to feel apologetic towards me, Director Kim. We did what we had to do, there is no regret. The both of us doubted the warning letter and played with fire when we didn't listen to it." She took a deep breath to control her emotions. "He almost died that day. We almost cost his life."

"No, that person did." Tae Ho reassured her.

Hye Jung exhaled deeply as she stood up from the chair and smiled. "What we're doing is something that always has to be between us. I don't care if Ji Hong wants to know anything, he can't know."

"I understand." Tae Ho watched as Hye Jung walked over to the door. "Don't you miss him? Don't you still love him? You were forcefully made to leave the man that you love and almost married to. Don't you just - "

"Miss him? Love him?" Hye Jung gave her brightest smile she possibly could toward him. "Of course. Everyday." She opened the door and sighed. "Even if he's in front of me everyday like this, I still miss him."

. . .

Ji Hong yawned as he walked along the back garden of the hospital, he was running on another two hour shift. He just needs more quiet before he goes back inside to do the rest of his job. As soon as he sat down, he stopped when he saw Hye Jung sitting on the other side.

Hye Jung turned her attention over to the sound and stood up in surprise to see Ji Hong. "Break?"

"Yeah. You're doing the same?"

She walked over to his side, sitting next to him. "I only have a few more minutes, just decided to come out here for fresh air." Hye Jung stared at him for a while before looking away. "It's funny seeing you here."

"Why?"

Hye Jung shrugged her shoulders. "This place..." she looked around at the familiar area where Ji Hong put those headphones in her air as they sat and held hands at this very spot. Now, they're more than a few inches apart, not holding hands and just breathing slowly.

Ji Hong cleared his throat. "It's been a while since you've been here, huh."

"You can say that."

"Is this weird to you? For us to normally be talking like this?" Ji Hong asked.

"It's weird but it's the only where we can be civil right?"

. . .

Hye Jung clenched onto her handbag as she formally said goodbye to Ji Hong as she started walking toward the entrance to go home. Her footsteps halted when she saw Kim Soo Chul walking inside. Her eyes widened from surprise as she never expected to see him again. She couldn't help but grin ear to ear as she watched him walk toward her. "Soo Chul-ah..." she opened her arms wide open to hug him but froze in place to witness Soo Chul walking past her. Closing her eyes as she turned around to see Soo Chul giving Ji Hong a hug before engaging into a conversation.

Disappointment and sadness ran through her body. That's when she realized that Director Kim forgot to ask one more question. If she doesn't regret in leaving Ji Hong for his protection, what does she actually regret? Hye Jung sighed as she started walking out of the hospital as a thousand thoughts run through her head. She regrets losing all her friends that have been there for her. She regrets that she can't tell anyone the truth because they're also affected and in danger if she does. She regrets for lying at almost everyone that cares for her. She regrets that she chooses to care about their feelings when she should be more focused on certain things.

She regrets that she has to be in this alone.

Her footsteps halted when she heard the sound of a camera shuddering as if someone was taking a picture of her. Hye Jung's eyes scanned around the area as she stayed frozen in place. Without realizing it, she was tremendously shaking. Maybe she wasn't alone. She has spent three weeks along in Paris and that was enough for her. Being alone has become almost a scary factor for her. Nothing - she sees no one around the surroundings. Is she just being paranoid now? Just as she was about to take another step toward the garage, she clearly heard the camera shuddering sound again.

Just as she was about to run, two hands clenched onto her shoulders causing her to scream. "Hey! Hye Jung!" Jun Ki's eyes widened as he rushed to face her - his eyes filled with worry and concern. "Are you okay? I didn't mean to scare you."

Hye Jung breathed in and out slowly once she saw his face. "Sorry. I must be tired."

Jun Ki smiled as he nodded his head. "Alright. Let's go home then." He wrapped his arm around her shoulders as he helped her toward the car. Jun Ki's eys was filled with angry as he briefly turned around to see Anna popping out from behind the bushes with a camera in her hand. Anna smirked at him as she waved the camera around, Jun Ki only got more angier as he stared at her. Taking a deep breath, he looked away to pay attention to Hye Jung as he helped her in the car. As soon as she wasn't in his sight while he walked around the car, he took out his phone to send a message to Anna. Plan B! You said Plan B! This is Plan C! Stop messing with her!

Anna snickered as soon as she recieved the message. She watched as the car drive away from the hospital as she sent a message back. How about you stick with the plan and don't try to mess with what we need to do. Just as Anna was about to walk away, someone walked into her strongly causing her to drop the camera. "Damn." Bending down to pick up the camera, she gasped when a foot stomped onto it repeatedly - crushing everything. "What the - hey!"

Soo Chul smirked as he stomped on the broken pieces of the camera again. He stepped closer to Anna as he leaned forward. "Don't think I don't know who you and your little friend are. I've been keeping you both in check. And let me tell you, you messed with the wrong person. Yoo Hye Jung is someone that I care the most about, someone who I will do anything for." He took a deep breath as he narrowed his eyes at her. "Try and do something funny again. I dare you. You probably had the best year, didn't you? Messing with Hong Ji Hong and Yoo Hye Jung like this? Breaking them apart for your own greed?" He chuckled as he fixed his collar. "Things are about to change, my friend."

Anna scoffed. "Yeah? And why is that?"

"Because I am here now." Soo Chul glared at her. "Do something funny, I will be the one that you'll have to deal with. Go ahead and test me." He started walking away and clapped his hands. "Why don't you try to run me over with that car? It's not as if I wasn't hit by one before."

. . .

Ji Hong sat on his bed with a piece of paper in hand, a paper that Kim Soo Chul has given to him earlier. He hasn't opened to see what it is yet since coming home. There is something inside of him that is saying this is possibly something huge. Why else would Soo Chul go all the way to the hospital do this? He could've just sent it or mailed it when he was in Japan. Figuring that it must not be too much of a big problem, he opened the piece of paper and stared in confusion at the four digit number. Confusion was written all over his face until he realized what it was for. Opening his briefcase, he took out the phone that Soo Chul also handed to him. He had said that it was his old phone and just needed Ji Hong to throw it away. Which was what made this whole thing confusing. It has to be his voicemail password. The only problem is why would Soo Chul want him to listen to his voicemails?

He took a deep breath after waiting for the voicemail messages to start.

Beep! Soo Chul-ah, I know you're mad at my decision but please understand that I had to do what is needed to be done. Please call me back. Ji Hong furrowed his eyebrows together at Hye Jung's voice. Beep!

Beep! I arrived at Paris, it's dark and gloomy here. Maybe it's because I shut closed the curtains. I like it dark. How are you? Soo Chul, I miss you. Beep!

Ji Hong exhaled as he was about to hang up the phone when the next message sounded a lot different. As if she was crying. Beep! I did something bad. Very hurtful, very painful. I left him! I am hurting so much right now. He needed me! Ji Hong was having one of his blind episodes and he needed me! But I left him in cold blood. Even if I asked a stranger to help Ji Hong be walked over to the cafe, it's still leaving him behind. There was a short pause as she cried even harder. I miss him so much. Have you been talking to him? How is he in Los Angeles? Did his eyes get better? What about the surgery? I love him so much. He could hear the sound of her coughing as if she became sick. Where are you, Soo Chul-ah? Why aren't you answering my calls? Have you been listening to my messages? I have no one. I hate being alone. No matter how many times I say I want to be alone, don't believe me. Being alone is scary. Beep!

The cellphone dropped from Ji Hong's hands as he breathed in and out, not knowing how he should feel or what he should think. His heart rate was escalating and he didn't know what to do. Everything that he just heard were words that she was sharing with Soo Chul. These words stated and showed Hye Jung's most vulnerable moments. And during her most scariest and vulnerable moments, she had no one but herself.

Without knowing why or even wanting to stop the urge, Ji Hong immediately got up from the bed - grabbing his car keys from the nightstand and rushing out of the house.

 

 

 

A/N: thank you so much for the beautiful comments from the previous chapter! it makes me so happy and inpsired! writing is always easier with the help of comments from you guys! which is why the next chapter is here! thank you so much for the comments! and thank you for all the people who has made an account for just this story, it really means alot to me! you have no idea how happy i always am to see comments like this! i get more and more inspired that i keep writing! so please keep going! the support and love is tremendously beautiful! anyways ;; thank you! here is the chapter, i hope you all like it. sorry for any mistakes!