Mentally Break

Emergency Doctors

One Year Ago, Paris.

Hye Jung tried her best to understand what was on the television as she scopped herself another spoonful of ice cream. It's hitting the sixth month since she has lived in Paris and as easy as the lanuage may seem, it's harder to understand. "Do you think they're discussing over the fact that there has been a murder? Or by the looks of it, they're about to kiss over that body."

Jun Ki stopped his spoon midway from his mouth and turned his head to look at her in disgust. "Can't we change the channel into something else? Why are we watching such a gory movie?"

"It's the only thing on that seems interesting!" Hye Jung argued while laughing. "The blood isn't even that bad."

"That's really easy to say for someone who used to be a doctor." Jun Ki's smile disappeared as soon as the word doctor left his mouth. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to."

Hye Jung smiled softly. "It's alright. You're not wrong. As a doctor, blood is practically nothing to me so movies like this doesn't disgust or seem revolting at all." She took another spoonful of her ice cream and looked at Jun Ki. "If you weren't a freelancer, what would you be?" She placed down her bowl of ice cream on the coffee table and folded her hands together. "I mean, you still have the chance to be whatever you want to be. You're young!"

Jun Ki laughed. "If being thirty-six is young, I'll take it."

"I'm being serious, Jun Ki." Hye Jung sternly said as she knit her eyebrows together. "I don't get it. Why do you love being a freelancer so much?"

"The freedom? The ability to keep moving from job to job without worrying over the stress?" He shrugged his shoulders and smiled. "Being a freelancer may seem like it was a lazy option out of what I am capable to do. But trust me when I say that I rather keep doing this job than any other."

Hye Jung frowned. "Alright. What's your biggest dream? The one thing you want to have or do in the future?" She watched as Jun Ki softly smiled at the question as he finished his ice cream. "You must have something, don't you? Something that you really want to be?"

"There is one thing," Jun Ki said slowly as he thought about it more. "Something that I never thought I wanted to be but after some circumstances, I really want to try my best to be amazing at it."

"What is it?"

"I want to be a good father." A bright smile spread across his face once those words left his mouth. "My dad's a politician. More than staying at home to ask how was my day, he would talk more about poll numbers, the decrease of values on the market. On birthdays, he would just put an envelope of cash onto the table as if it was supposed to replace anything. I wouldn't go as far and say that I hate him," there was a short pause as memories of his childhood rushed through his mind. "But he had to do what he needed to do in order to provide for our family. Which is ironic because half of my family is already rich. We didn't need to worry about most things that others do." Jun Ki looked at Hye Jung briefly for a second before he looked away. "That's not what I want to be as a father. I want to be someone who is actually there for them. Listening to their problems, helping and guiding them with issues that they may come across with."

Hye Jung put her hand on top of his when she saw tears b against her eyes. "What's wrong? You don't have to get emotional." She smiled softly as she clenched onto his hand. "You'll be a great father one day. Being able to watch your kid grow up and graduate, all of that parent sense that people look forward. You have time. Once you do have a kid, I know you'll be an amazing parent."

Jun Ki could only softly nod as he got up from the couch to collect their empty bowls. "One day.."

Present Time.

"Hye Jung," Yoon Do softly tapped her again for the third time. "Hye Jung."

She blinked back to reality and looked at Yoon Do with her eyes shaky, tears sliding down her face. "What did you say? I'm sorry."

Yoon Do sighed as he showed her the picture again. "Lee Jun Ki had this in his hand, he was clenching onto it even when he passed away. It's bloody and almost torn apart but it's something of his that I thought I should give you."

Hye Jung stared at the small picture for a few seconds, it was a picture of a little boy - seven years old at most. Next to the little boy was Jun Ki, carrying him with a bright smile on his face. If she can remember right, it's the brightest smile he has ever had since knowing him. And that's when everything clicked together. The last conversation she had with him - confessing about having a son. Which could only mean that their converstion in Paris last year about how he dreams of being a good father - everything about it was deliberately and honestly from his heart. It's the only thing he ever wanted, it's what he has always wished for. Hye Jung coudn't hold back to any more tears as she struggled to keep herself in control. Slowly, she took the picture - her hands touching Jun Ki's dry blood. The little boy looks just like him - an exact replica of him.

"I'm sorry." Yoon Do said.

"What happened to him?" Hye Jung looked at him. How did one night of going away, promising to be back for dinner - ended up with him having what seems like to be over twenty stab wounds? "Was he mugged?" It could only be the only reasonable assumption to what happened. "He doesn't do anything that put himself in danger. He's just not like that." More tears slid down her face when she looked at the picture again. Jun Ki's smiling face. "Please don't tell me that it was a robbery gone wrong."

Ji Hong opened the door with Seo Woo and Soo Chul behind him. They walked into the room and stood near Hye Jung's bedside. "We just spoke to the cops." Ji Hong sighed and held onto her hands. "From what they can understand, it seems as if it was a robbery."

Seo Woo looked at her. "His wallet was missing from the crime scene so they can only conclude that it was a robbery. Maybe he was fighting the robber off and he just wasn't strong enough."

"Yeah, maybe." Soo Chul said softly.

Hye Jung knit her eyebrows in confusion as she looked at Soo Chul. "What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing." Soo Chul answered. "I'm late for something, I'll come by later."

Before anyone could say anything about his behavior, he already left the room within seconds. "Do you feel better? Knowing that this was something that wasn't his fault? It was just bad luck?"

"I don't know." Hye Jung said. All she can think about how Jun Ki had a son all along and how he would never let himself get robbed like this. Even if it's a life or death situation, the strength of knowing that he has a son to take care of, he would never let himself die.

. . .

Soo Chul tried to breathe as calmly as he could while exiting out of the elevator, his eyes quickly searching for the names on the board. As soon as he found Doctor Oh Anna's name, he rushed down the hallway. Immediately, he only knocked on the door once before letting himself in. His eyes glaring at her as he clenched onto the doorknob.

"Can I help you?" Anna asked. She arched an eyebrow once she recogonized Soo Chul, she smirked as she dropped the innocent act and crossed her arms. "What a pleasure this is."

Without a moment of hesitation, Soo Chul rushed over to her - slamming her onto the wall. He doesn't care if she is a woman, not when she is a cold blooded murderer. And someone who was willing to murder their own flesh and blood makes everything even worse. "What did you do?!"

Anna looked at him, rolling her eyes as she laughed. "I didn't do anything."

"Yeah? Tell me how your younger cousin ended up in the ER with blood practically soaking on his clothes! Over twenty stab wounds on his chest and the only thing he worried about was clenching onto that damn picture of his son!" Soo Chul slammed his hands onto the wall, making the whole room vibrate from the strength. "He was your cousin!"

"Last I heard it was a robbery gone wrong situation." She narrowed her eyes while tilting her head. "And like you said, I'm his cousin. Why would I ever want to hurt him?"

Soo Chul watched her expression carefully and scoffed. "You're a psychopath." He backed away from her while running a hand through his hair out of frustration. He knew she was dangerous, he knew it! The fact that she is standing here and smirking with no ounce of guilt on her expression - it made goosebumps appear all over his body. He has seen a lot while being a rebel, kids leaving their homes behind them because they "hated" their parents. Saying rude and nonsense things toward people who are friends - those are factors that teenagers go through. Only demented, crazy, and psychopath people would go straight and think of murder.

"Let's say that I did do something to him, what could you possibly do?" Anna decided to press on about the issue, seeing as how distraught this man was in front of her. "You're not a cop or anyone important that people would take your words seriously. You're just a man who wants to protect his friends who he considers as family - which I admit, is courageous but clearly stupid. There is no such thing as protection or loyalty within people. Especially those of who are supposed to be your family."

"Are you talking about your cousin," Soo Chul stared at her. "Or about the father who abandoned you?" Noticing at how her eyes flickered in surprise from him knowing that fact, it gave him a satisfying feeling. "Here's the thing about me that you should know. You sent Jun Ki to Paris to watch over Hye Jung, get all the details possible from her. With doing so, he also had to find out more about me and all the information that relates me and Hye Jung. It's a cycle of being a spy, right?" He smirked as he exhaled deeply. "Let me take a huge leap here and say that you probably don't know anything about me. Why? Maybe it's because Jun Ki stopped sharing certain information to you. He decided what was best for his situation and Hye Jung's life." The way he could see her clenching her fists gave him the answer that she really doesn't know anything with the exception of him being one of Hye Jung's bestfriend. "Maybe you're right. I'm a man who has no credible background for people to believe in my words. But if there is one thing I am 100% sure of, it's the fact that people will believe the truth over anything. Despite the fact that you have been able to trick people's mind for months, let's me give you an early warning." He shrugged his shoulders while he chuckled. "Let's call it a gift. You may think you know Hye Jung because you've fallen for her. I have some news, you actually don't. Because if you did, you would know to have never started this chaos in the first place. You ran her dad over with a car and did the same thing to her fiancee on her wedding day. Crazily enough, you think you stand a chance with her by forcibly seperating them with threats." Soo Chul started walking over to the door as he said his last few words to her. "Hye Jung is one of the most strong minded people I know. You can try to mentally break her down all you want but she won't let you win. Not this time. Want to know why?" He smiled, he could see how her eyes were widened as she tried to process all of this. "Once she cares for someone and let a person enter that fragile life of hers, she would do anything for those people. And with the fact of Jun Ki being dead, there is no end for her. She will find out and handle you herself." Soo Chul chuckled as he clapped his hands. "Congratulations, you will finally be able to recieve her attention after all."

. . .

Ji Hong sat down and smiled as he held onto Hye Jung's hands. It's been a little over an hour since he has brought her to his house after being discharged. The shock over her friend's death took a lot of energy from her. But to his surprise, she is handling much better than he thought. "Do you want some water?"

She softly smiled as she shook her head. "Laying here with you is just fine."

"Really?" Ji Hong chuckled as he kissed the top of her head. "It feels just like home, doesn't it?"

"Yeah and I've missed it so much." she whispered while closing her eyes. "This must be frustrating for you. We just managed to get back together and this happened. Now I'm just....sad and depressed."

Ji Hong shrugged his shoulders. "As long as we get through it together and handle it, everything will be okay. Each situation takes time. Lee Jun Ki was a friend of yours, someone who was there for you through the tough times. It's only reasonable for his sudden death to take a toll on you."

Hye Jung slightly opened her eyes and looked at him. "You know what I missed most about you?"

"My unbelievably handsome charms?" Ji Hong bursted out in laughter when Hye Jung rolled her eyes. "What is it then?"

"The way you always seem to find the right words to make me feel better." She sat up on the bed and gently kissed him on the lips. Pulling away with a smile on her face, she held onto his face longer. "And I did miss this face."

"See, I told you. It's the handsome charms."

Hye Jung took out the photo that she has been keeping for the past few days, her eyes staring at that smile of Jun Ki's and the way how his kid looked at his father. "Do you think his son has been notified of the death?"

Ji Hong shrugged his shoulders. "If he does, he probably has family to be there for him."

"Yeah." Hye Jung looked at Ji Hong, giving him a look. "Boy or girl?"

His eyes widened from the sudden question. "Excuse me? Are we really going to be talking about this?" There is absolutely no problem with him talking about this topic. He has been thinking about children for as long as he can remember. It's just lately he hasn't really had time to actually think about it. Or even discussed it out in the open like this. "I want a boy first and then a girl after. Big brother can take care of his little sister."

Hye Jung looked at him in disappointed. "There is no problem if a big sister takes care of her little brother."

"Of course not." Ji Hong moved aside a strand of hair from her face. "I just think that having a son first is the best."

"I want a daughter first."

Ji Hong laughed. "Hye Jung-ah, why are we having this dicussion when we haven't taken our vows yet?"

"Oh." The memory of the wedding day came bacik to her mind. "I'm a bit scared to do that again."

"Again?" Ji Hong raised an eyebrow. "I didn't say that I wanted to marry you.:

Hye Jung rolled her eyes. "I don't have to marry you. In fact, I don't want to." She bursted out in laughter when Ji Hong suddenly started tickling her on the sides. It has only been a few days since Jun Ki's death but the fact that she can comfortably be like this with Ji Hong, she realized that she can't keep all these emotions inside like she used to. Sharing the pain to someone can actually help heal you. Because the people that you share them with, they will always stand by your side and try to make you feel better. "Thank you."

Ji Hong smiled as he leaned forward to kiss her. When she dodged the kiss, he looked at her in shock. "Is this really how you're going to play?" He grabbed the blanket and put it over them as he tickled her constantly while laughing together in the darkness.

. . .

"Did you forget the pin because you haven't been - " Ji Hong stopped talking as he hold onto the door of his apartment. "Soo Chul?"

Soo Chul looked at him with a box in his arms. "Do you mind if I come in?"

"Yeah, no problem. Go ahead." Ji Hong moved aside so Soo Chul can walk in. Closing the door behind him, he watched as Soo Chul placed the box on the table. "What's that?"

"I recieved the box a couple days ago. Spent most of those days trying to sort through the information I got."

"Information?" Ji Hong walked over with his arms crossed. "About what?"

Soo Chul exhaled deeply as he opened the lid, pouring out everything that was in it. Papers, pictures, and another small box. "How much do you know Oh Anna?"

"Doctor Oh?" Ji Hong shrugged. "Since Los Angeles, she was there for my recovery a lot. Helped me through some pain that I didn't understand." He furrowed his eyebrows together. "Why would you ask that?"

"I'll tell you when Hye Jung is here." Soo Chul looked around. "Where is she?" He took the small box and showed it to him. "Jun Ki is the one that sent this to my hotel room. He must've known something bad was going to happen to him. So he sent this a few days early before his death."

"Wait - " Ji Hong tried to collect every detail he was getting but he just can't figure it out. "How would he know that he was going to be robbed?"

Soo Chul sighed. "It's a long story. I can just tell you that it's definitely not a robbery gone wrong. Despite what the police findings are, I really don't think we can trust those cops wholeheartedly." The memory of how Jun Ki explained that Anna has the cops wrapped around her fingers, making them have things go away that would benefit her. Hi8s eyes adverted over to the bathroom, the door was opened and the lights weren't on. If she isn't here or at her home, Soo Chul stared at Ji Hong. "Where is Hye Jung?"

"She went out toward the back to throw away the trash." Ji Hong answered.

"The back?" Soo Chul's eyes widened as he dropped the small box rushed out of the door. "Hye Jung!"

Ji Hong who followed behind him looked around, not getting the whole situation yet - he became alarmed at the fact that Hye Jung wasn't at the back of the building. "Hye Jung? Hye Jung!" He ran around the back of the building and towards the front, she was nowhere to be seen.

"Where is she?!" Soo Chul screamed.

. . .

Hye Jung slowly opened her eyes when she heard feet shuffling back and forth. Feeling heavy on the head, she groaned when she felt a pain around there. As if she was hit by a hard object. She looked down to see that her feet and hands were bound together. "Where am I?" she muttered under her breath. From what she can gather with only one flickering lightbuld hanging above her, she can tell it's like an empty warehouse.

"Hello?"

She froze once she heard somone talking. Waiting for a few seconds to see if it was her imagination or not, she took a deep breath to answer. "Hello?"

"Are you here to help me?"

"Help you?" Hye Jung looked down at her bound hands and feet. She has to find someone to help her too. "What's your name?"

There was a long silence. "Jun So..."

"Okay, Jun So." Hye Jung exhaled deeply as she tried to see what kind of situation she was in and how she can get out of it. Just when she was about to speak, the sound of high heels distracted her. When the sound was coming closer, Hye Jung looked up to see someone standing in front of her. But with only that one lightbulb, it's hard to see who it is. "Why don't you let us go and we can talk about this."

Anna stepped away from the darkness and into the flickering lights with smirk on her face. "I'm afraid I can't do that."

"Doctor Oh?" Hye Jung's eyes widened as she tried to assess the type of situation she's in. What exactly is going on here? "What is this?" No matter how hard she tried to twist her arms, the ropes around her were tied on too tightly. "Is this some kind of joke?"

"Anna?" She could hear the other person sliding down the floor. Once he got into the nearby lights on his side, his face was shown more clearly. Like Hye Jung, he had his arms and legs bound together by ropes. "Auntie Anna?!"

That's when Hye Jung noticed the difference between her tone and his - he's a child. She looked at the face again, finally realizing who the child actually is. Lee Jun Ki's son. Shock and fear ran through her body as she glanced between Anna and Jun So. "What....what do you want?"

Anna bent down to be on eye level with her, a smile spreading across her face as she comb Hye Jung's hair with her hand. "I was told something interesting a couple of days ago," her hand caressed Hye Jung's face. "I can't mentally break you." Anna noticed the way Hye Jung kept glancing over to Jun So, as if she was worried about what would happen to the kid. "So I only figured that I can try and physically break you." She got up and slowly made her way over to Jun So. "Or try a different type of mental game with you."

"What?" Hye Jung asked. Before she could ask any questions further, Hye Jung screamed loudly when Anna grabbed hold of Jun So's hair, practially dragging him around as if he was a rag doll. "Stop! Stop! Stop!" She breathed in and out heavily once Anna let go of his hair, her eyes widened as tears slid down her face. "What is wrong with you?! None of this makes sense. Why is she kidnapped?! Why is Jun Ki's son here? And why is Oh Anna like this? "If you want to hurt someone, hurt me! Don't touch him! He's a kid!"

"Oh," Anna sighed as she smiled. "I could never hurt you."

Hye Jung closed her eyes tightly when she felt Anna touching her hair again. "Don't hurt him. He's a kid."

"Why? Would you rather have me physically harm you? Isn't mentally better? You're only going to be emotionally scarred."

There is definitely something wrong with her. If there is one thing she knows from her medical studies, only psychopaths would say something like this. "If you hurt him one more time, I swear to God..." She stopped talking when Anna went over and grabbed onto Jun So's hair again, she pulled it even harder. Jun So started crying from the pain as he tried to pry her fingers off but she's just too much stronger than he is. "He's seven years old!" Having enough of this, Hye Jung used all the strength she had left and got up from the floor. She immediately threw herself on Anna to have her stay away from Jun So.

Anna groaned from the sudden pain. "Alright. Physical pain it is." Picking up a wooden stick from the floor, she smacked it against Hye Jung's body a couple of times. With the sounds of Jun So crying and Hye Jung yelling in pain, she smacked the wooden stick one more time on her head - knocking her out unconciously. She dropped the stick and backed away while cleaning off her sleeves.

Jun So stared at Hye Jung with widened eyes as he shakily pointed at her. "Blood.....blood."

 

 

A/N: Hello! Here is the next chapter, I hope you like it! You guys are so kind! Thank you for the beautiful comments from the previous chapter! It really means alot, thank you so much! And AHHHHHH, I am so happy to hear that you're all willing to read another JIHYE story by me! I have already started pinpointing what the story will be! I can tell you that it won't be another medical story but rather a different story! I want it as a surprise for you all so I won't say anything more! Anyways, here is the chapter! Thank you for the endless love and support! Sorry for any mistakes!