What is Protection?

Emergency Doctors

"There should be another word to define this hotel room other than creepy." Jun Ki muttered under his breath as he scanned around the walls. To see so many pictures of him being taken gives him the shivers and a different prespective from being on the other side of a camera. "How long have you been following me?"

Soo Chul crossed his arms as he leaned against the wall, eyeing Jun Ki suspiciously as the guy walked around the room. "Not as long as you and your buddy have been stalking Hye Jung."

Jun Ki chuckled as he nodded his head. "Noted." He stopped at the wall that was labeled Paris with pictures of him and Hye Jung together. As he looked at every single picture, his smile became wider with each memory of Paris coming back to him. Jun Ki took a deep breath and turned back around to face Soo Chul. "You still haven't answered my question."

"How am I supposed to trust you?" Soo Chul asked. "I spent a year witnessing the little games you and your friend do to my friends. The only thing stopping me from punching the crap out of you right now is because of Hye Jung."

"Hye Jung?" Jun Ki placed his duffel bag on the table. "I have no problem with you punching me in order for trust to happen but what does she have to with it?"

Soo Chul scoffed as he made his way over to the mini fridge, taking out two soda cans. Sliding one over to Jun Ki as he took a seat across from him, he exhaled deeply. "Taking out the deception and lies, you have become an important friend to Hye Jung. I know her, I've known her since we were rebels who were struggling to learn words from books. If there is one thing I can trust her on is her beliefs and instincts on people. She wouldn't let you come into her house, let you in on her secrets or even spend a whole year with you in a different country if she didn't trust you."

"Thanks for praise but I have to remind you that I purposely went to meet her in Paris to enter in her life. Everything that I've done for her was part of a plan." Jun Ki took a sip of the soda.

"Yeah but the unexpected happened, didn't it?"

Jun Ki looked at Soo Chul and shrugged his shoulders as a response. "I really don't understand what you're talking about."

"You fell in love with her, didn't you?" Soo Chul questioned. "Your main goal was to enter in her life, follow her every movements and practically betray her one day but something else happened that made your goal be faltered." He chuckled as soon as he saw Jun Ki shift his eyes to the sides, something that Hye Jung does when she feels uncomfortable or lying. Within a span of one year, her habits has slowly rubbed off on the new guy. "Does Oh Anna know about your feelings?"

"There are no feelings to be considered on telling." Jun Ki argued while taking another sip of the soda. "I'm just done playing with the games. I'm tired and would like my old life back."

Soo Chul arched an eyebrow while he laughed. "I wasn't aware that a freelancer who lived by no rules and only timing freedom would be considered as a life."

"If that was an insult, you shouldn't be talking." Jun Ki looked at Soo Chul. "My target may have been just Hye Jung but I also learned a lot about the people in her life. For example, you. How did someone like you, who used to live day by day as a delivery boy, end up with the money to travel back and forth between Paris and Los Angeles?" He arched his eyebrows as he looked around the hotel room. "And yet chooses to stay in a rundown hotel room?"

"Obviously we have been stalking each other too much." Soo Chul said while changing the topic. He exhaled and looked at Jun Ki. "I won't talk about your feelings if you don't talk about the money issue."

Jun Ki nodded his head. "Deal." Clenching his hands together while taking a deep breath, he smiled. "Are you willing to help me now?"

"Isn't the big question is how do I know that you won't go behind my back and work with Oh Anna again? I mean, look at the situation we are in right now. You're going behind Anna's back. Or," Soo Chul paused, looking at him with his eyes filled of concern and doubt. "You could still be working with Anna in the elaborate plan and coming toward me is a part of me."

Jun Ki laughed. "Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not as smart as I look." His laughter stopped as he got serious and cleared his throat. "And I was never part of Anna's elaborate plan. At least, I didn't want to be."

Soo Chul leaned back against the chair and sighed. "You're telling me you were forced to help her? I'm sorry if that seems unlikely considering the pictures that surrounds us." His finger pointed over to the certain wall that has photos of Jun Ki and Anna laughing and smiling together when they would have their secret meet ups. "Why don't you try to sell me another story?"

"What I did in those photos is called acting," Jun Ki corrected. "Like how you are acting as if you resent and hate Hye Jung when you actually care and love for her. You would do anything for her even if it means leaving your son behind for a year."

"And why would you be acting?" Soo Chul leaned forward on the table. "What is Oh Anna holding against you?"

Jun Ki chuckled as he ran a hand through his hair. "Are you telling me that in the one year that you spent stalking us, you don't know who Anna is?"

Feeling offended, Soo Chul furrowed his eyebrows together. "She is dangerous, manipulative - "

"Don't you know who her father is?"

"Why would her parents be important in this matter?"

Jun Ki started tapping the soda can with his fingers. "Think about it, Kim Soo Chul. Footages of camera survillances during both incidents seem to never exist. The black sedan that you were so sure of to exist doesn't seem to pop up anywhere in any auto shops. Police were so slow and non-helpful about the investigation when you tried to ask for help a year ago." He arched one of his eyebrows. "Do you understand me now?"

Soo Chul breathed in and out slowly. "Are you telling me that she is the daughter of some kind of cop?"

"Not just any cop," Jun Ki said. He grabbed the newspaper that was on the middle of the table. Jun Ki stared at the front page story and picture for a few seconds before sliding it over to Soo Chul. "She is his daughter."

He looked down at the front page story that read 'Chief of Seoul Police Department wins honorary award in his 25th year.' Soo Chul's eyes widened as he glanced between Jun Ki and the paper. "Chief Oh Myul Rae's daughter?" If there is anything more shocking than this, there is absolutely nothing. From what Soo Chul could remember, Oh Myul Rae is one of the most respected cop in Seoul's history. When he was given the Chief position, everyone in this city was practically over the moon about it. And that's when something clicked in his mind, Chief Oh is one of the biggest donator that Ji Hong's hospital has.

Jun Ki nodded his head. "And he is my uncle." He threw the empty soda can over to the trash bin and shrugged his shoulders. "Anna and I are cousins."

. . .

The Next Morning, Hospital.

Hye Jung leaned against the elevator as she slowly touched her lips, the memory of last night in the rain has been running in her mind nonstop. The fact that she and Ji Hong kissed after one year is still surprising to her. She doesn't know how she exactly feels about it. It was in the moment, the moment. Not only has she broken all the rules about staying away from him - she kissed him. Something inside her should scream that what she did was dangerous for him and her close ones but right now - as her hand slowly went up to her heart, feeling each and every heavy heartbeat. It felt good, it felt like...home. She smiled to herself as she watched the elevator screen go up and up. Once the door opened, she quickly cleared when Seo Woo and Yoon Do entered. "Hi."

Seo Woo smiled. "Hi." She knit her eyebrows together as she watched Hye Jung's facial expression. Something about the way she looked, the aura that Seo Woo can literally see glowing around her almost made her blind. She silently nudged Yoon Do's side as she pointed out the happiness on Hye Jung. "Do you see what I see?" She whispered quietly.

Yoon Do narrowed his eyes at Hye Jung, trying to see what it is that Seo Woo sees. "She's...glowing..."

"Happiness." Seo Woo muttered. Clearing , she folded her hands together as she tried to find a start to this conversation. "Is there a special event tonight?"

"I don't know what you mean." Hye Jung replied, confused. "Should there be a special event tonight? If the department is thinking about throwing me another party, I really don't think it's - "

Yoon Do shook his head. "No, there is no party. Not from what I know of." He shrugged his shoulders. "Do you and your boyfriend have an anniversary to celebrate tonight?"

"Boyfriend?" Hye Jung asked. That's when she remembered that everyone thinks that she and Jun Ki are dating. "No, we're fine. Nothing special, no dates." She looked at Yoon Do and Seo Woo. "Why are you guys so fixated on me right now?"

"Nothing - " the elevator doors opened with Ji Hong standing there. Both Seo Woo and Yoon Do greeted him and groaned silently, ready to face another awkward moment in the elevator. "Morning, Doctor Hong."

Ji Hong smiled at them. "Morning." His eyes adverted over to Hye Jung as he walked into the elevator, standing between them. "Morning, Doctor Yoo."

Hye Jung nodded her head. "Morning, Doctor Yoo."

Yoon Do briefly closed his eyes as he leaned down to whisper into Seo Woo's ears. "We have two more floors to go, this is going to be the most awkward hell."

"Do you want to grab lunch together?" Ji Hong asked.

Seo Woo and Yoon Do shook their heads. "We have a surgery scheduled at that time."

"Oh," Ji Hong shyly chuckled while fixing his tie. "I was asking Doctor Yoo."

"Wait, what..." Seo Woo said, her eyes widened from the sudden question.

Hye Jung bit her lower lip, pondering on the question as the elevator continued on going up. She has to stay away from him for his safety. But maybe this lunch can just be another one moment. Nothing can happen from a simple lunch together during work. It shouldn't do any harm. She exhaled deeply as she finally came to a decision. "Yeah, I would like to." She and Ji Hong looked at each other for a few seconds as the door opened, smiling at each other.

Ji Hong chuckled as he looked away. "After you..."

"Thank you." Hye Jung smiled as she walked out and stood there, waiting for Ji Hong.

Seo Woo and Yoon Do watched with bewildered eyes as the two doctors walk side by side, laughing about something together. The elevator doors shut again, leaving Seo Woo and Yoon Do frozen in place as they try to collect what just happened before them. "Did what just happened.......happened?!"

Yoon Do looked at Seo Woo and started laughing. "It did." A smile spread across his face as he clapped his hands together. "Wow!"

"What?!" Seo Woo asked, her own smile spreading wider and wider by the minute.

"I seriously never thought that I would be so happy over the possibilty that they could get back together!" Yoon Do sighed. "This is a great step to their happiness."

. . .

"What exactly do you have on Anna and I?" Jun Ki glared at the food on the table. "I'm sorry but is this edible?"

Soo Chul opened up a folder that he had on the nightstand and shrugged his shoulders. "Cheap hotel can only equal to cheap food." He placed down several documents on the table. "Everything I know is what everyone else does. She comes from one of the top medical schools in the world. Has numerous of tough successful surgeries under her care when she was just a newbie." He looked at Jun Ki and sighed. "All I didn't know that you two were related and how she is the daughter of one of the most beloved people in this city."

Jun Ki scoffed as he pushed the food aside and cleared his throat. "You have the basic information. Anything you can get off the web."

"How come it's not on the internet that she is Oh Myul Rae's daughter then?" Soo Chul just doesn't get it. Someone like Oh Myul Rae, who is famous for being a loving husband and father, why was there never a picture of Anna with him? Or articles stating that she's his daughter.

"Anna and my uncle don't exactly get along." Jun Ki answered. "They had a falling out two years ago."

"And what exactly is the reason behing the falling out?"

Jun Ki exhaled. "Anna was pregnant two years ago. My uncle wasn't exactly thrilled with the news. She's not married and it happened during a one night stand. She can't even remember who it was with because she was too drunk." He looked at Soo Chul as he thought back of the past. "Flying back to Korea and telling her dad about the news, she was so excited about it. She always wanted to be a mom, it was her dream for as long as I can remember."

"You're making it sound as if she is the actual sweet, kind, and generous person that everyone assumes she is." Soo Chul said.

"She was, she was like that." Jun Ki started tapping his fingers on the table. "Anna had a miscarriage within three months of pregnancy. It broke her and all she wanted was her dad to take care of her like how he takes care of the whole city. But it didn't matter to my uncle, he was actually more thrilled about the lost of the baby than the idea of an actual grandchild in his arms. That's when Anna started becoming into a whole different person, someone I didn't even recogonize." Jun Ki blinked his eyes several times. "She moved back to Los Angeles, went on as normal."

"What happened after she moved back to LA?"

Jun Ki checked the time on the clock, it's already close to one in the afternoon. "Hong Ji Hong happened." He could see confusion was written all over Soo Chul's face. "He had a convention in LA for the day. Anna took part of the convention with her fellow colleagues and she saw him."

"Wait," Soo Chul narrowed his eyes at Jun Ki in disbelief. "Are you seriously telling me that the reason behind all this chaos is because your cousin had her eyes on Hong Ji Hong at a convention?"

"No." Jun Ki corrected him. "I am telling you that the reason behind this chaos is who Hong Ji Hong was with at that time."

"Hye Jung?"

"From what I know, Hong Ji Hong came there glowing in happiness. His smile and laughter radiated in complete and utter happiness in everything he was doing there. If the timing is right, it was around the time when they got engaged." Jun Ki took a deep breath. "Like I told you, Anna changed. She wasn't the sweet cousin that I knew since I was born. The miscarriage made her become into this easily jealous, obsessive woman."

"So I was right. She was jealous of Hong Ji Hong and want him because of his happiness." Soo Chul said.

"You're somewhat right," Jun Ki continued. "She actually want to be in Hye Jung's life."

Soo Chul stared at him as if he was supposed to know what that meant. "You're going to have to further explain yourself."

"Well," Jun Ki chuckled as he got up from the seat to grab his jacket. "Remember what you said about me last night? How I am in love with Hye Jung?" He picked up his wallet from the floor and shrugged his shoulders. "You know, we're not the only ones that happened to fall in love with her." He snapped his fingers as if he was trying to remember something. "What was it that you said? Falling in love with someone like Hye Jung seems to be inevitable to everyone."

. . .

"Is this really necessary?" Young Gook said as he took a seat at the table next to Seo Woo, putting down his lunch tray. "I had to cancel our lunch date at one of the restaurants you love most because of what?"

Ahn Joong Dae made a tsking sound with his lips as he ate his food. "Don't you see what's going on? Doctor Hong and Doctor Yoo are sitting across from each other? When was the last time you ever saw them be near each other like this without arguing or dodging?!"

Young Gook watched as the ex-couple quietly eat their meal across the cafeteria. "Well, it doesn't look like they're doing anything besides eating."

"Sweetie," Seo Woo turned to face Young Gook and smiled. She grabbed an apple and pushed it on his mouth so he could bite it. "Just eat and be quiet."

Yoon Do narrowed his eyes at them. "Looks like they're starting conversation right now."

"Can you hear what they're saying?" Seo Woo asked.

"I can't." Yoon Do answered. His eyes widened as soon as he saw Hye Jung glancing over to their table. "Everybody look away! She's looking!"

Hye Jung tried her best to hold in her laughter once she saw them looking away and stuffing their mouth with foood. "They're talking about us."

"They're always talking about us." Ji Hong chuckled. He cleared his throat as he stared at Hye Jung. "Do you want to talk about last night?"

She stopped eating and bit her lower lip, she was hoping that last night wouldn't come up during lunch. "It was a one moment thing, right?"

Ji Hong furrowed his eyebrows briefly before nodding his head. "Yeah." He tried his best to smile as he continued eating. "It's what we agreed on."

"What happened is just - "

"In the moment." Ji Hong interrupted her. "Yeah, I get it."

Pa Ran walked over and sat down next to Ji Hong. "Hey, it's nice to see that you two are semi getting along." He arched an eyebrow when the both of them stayed silent to his comment. "Alright, I came over because I actually - " he smiled and put his arm around his best friend. "You mind if I skip out on our dinner plans tonight?"

"We made plans to watch the game and order in tonight." Ji Hong glared at Pa Ran. "Why are you bailing out on me?"

"Well, I have a date."

Ji Hong glanced at Hye Jung for a few seconds before he returned his attention to Pa Ran. "Really? Another date with another model? When are you going to - "

"Who do you take me as?" Pa Ran said as if he was offended for such an assumption like that. He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Fine, I dated a lot of models but this," he shyly smiled at Ji Hong. "She's not a model this time."

"You're serious?"

"Well, I mean. We're not young anymore." Pa Ran said. "We're hitting close to an age that we may never get to go out and date. I might as well hurry up and try to find someone special. You should do the same, Ji Hong. Venture out there and get married," Pa Ran stopped talking and looked at Hye Jung. "Alright. I think I should go before I cause any discomfort that's already there." He patted Ji Hong on the back before getting up, waving goodbye to the nosy group of doctors on the other side of the cafeteria.

Ji Hong sighed. "Sorry about that."

Hye Jung shook her head. "It's alright." The sound of shutter caused her to immediately looked up, her eyes frantic and widened in fear that their pictures were being taken. "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Ji Hong looked around their surroundings. All he could see was fellow colleagues eating and the sound of their chatter. He turned to watch Hye Jung clenching onto her utensils tightly. Carefully and softly, he put his hands over her clenching hand to help calm her down. "Hey, are you okay?"

"What?" She blinked back to look at him, her eyes looking at his hand on hers. Pulling back her hand, she took a deep breath. "Yeah, sorry."

Taking notice of her reaction toward his physical contact, he drew a long and deep breath as he realized the truth. Last night was merely just one moment. Although, they confessed and practically poured out their long awaited feelings to each other - it seems as if it has done zero effects. He watched as she pulled out her phone, a smile spreading on her face as she replied to a text message. "I actually have a surgery scheduled in twenty minutes." He got up from his seat and smiled. "It's nice, you know."

"What's nice?" Hye Jung looked up from her phone.

"Us..." he paused. "Being friends."

Hye Jung nodded her head in agreement. "Of course."

Ji Hong picked up his tray and stopped at the nosy table. He eyed Seo Woo and Yoon Do suspiciously. "I thought you guys had a surgery during lunch?"

Yoon Do could only manage to give him a weak smile before going back to his own food.

. . .

Jun Ki leaned against the wall as he watched Hye Jung neatly clean her desk. "I can just go first."

"So you can waste more money on a cab?" She questioned as she packed up some folders into her bag. "Being off this weekend is taking a load off my shoulders."

"That's funny." Jun Ki chuckled as he nudged at the bag. "It literally looks like as if you're carrying more load than you should be for a two day vacation."

Hye Jung shrugged her shoulders. "I need to do some reading."

"I believe the point of a vacation is actually doing some relaxing." He watched as Hye Jung covered her face as she harshly cough and took a drink from the hot tea that he brought over for her. "And I think you would need it since you're sick."

"I am not sick." Hye Jung said.

Jun Ki sighed. "I may not be a doctor but I can see sickness when it's there. Every single time you're sick, you look like that."

"And what is that that you're talking about?"

"Red skin, runny nose, itchy eyes?" Jun Ki arched an eyebrow. "Had a little fun in the rain took it's toll, didn't it?"

Hye Jung cleared as she turned off her desk light and walked over to him. "So that's why you left my place."

Jun Ki smiled. "I don't mind. I was actually planning on staying at my hotel longer anyways."

"Nothing is going on between Ji Hong and I."

Sometimes Jun Ki wished he could say that it was alright if they got together. He wished he could confidently tell her that he would protect anything for her so she can finally be happy with someone she loves. But he has his own protection to worry about especially when Anna is still involved. He has spent months trying to find a way for the both of them to be protected but Anna is just someone that isn't easily fooled. As of right now, he is still on edge from what he did last night. Risking the plan to go off and ask for Soo Chul's help is something that wasn't planned. He opened the door for Hye Jung while smiling, his smile fading as soon as she started walking in front of him. If Anna finds out about what he is doing, he can't be 100% sure on what she would do.

"Doctor Yoo." Jun Ki returned back to reality to see Anna walking over to them. "Oh. Jun Ki, right? It's nice to see you again."

Jun Ki nodded his head, his instincts immediately made him stand closer to Hye Jung. "Hello."

Anna leaned over and smiled at Hye Jung. "I heard you're taking a two day break."

Hye Jung nodded her head. "Yeah. I haven't taken a long break since coming back. Figured I take it now since my patients are well taken care of by the residents. And I don't have any surgeries with you listed on my schedule. At least I hope I didn't."

"Oh, you're clear for two days." Anna glanced at Jun Ki. "I was just surprised to hear about it in the break room, I didn't know that you were taking a break."

Jun Ki knew that that comment was directed at him. His job was to get and maintain information from Hye Jung and telling Anna so she would know everything about her.

Hye Jung knit her eyebrows together as she crossed her arms. "I don't believe we are close enough for me to inform you about my days off. As my superior, it's only right for you to find out by looking at the schedule or by listening it by another source."

"Hye Jung, I just thought that we - "

"Doctor Yoo." Hye Jung corrected her. "I believe that I told you that I would like to use professional terms between us." The elevator shaft arrived at their floor and the doors opened. "Now if you excuse me. Come on, Jun Ki."

Jun Ki cleared his throat before he entered the elevator with Hye Jung. Before the doors closed, he saw the glint of anger in Anna's eyes that he has seen too many times before. He ran a hand through his hair as he tried to process what just happened. That glint of anger could only mean one thing. Once they got out of the elevator and started walking out of the hospital, he stopped when he got a text message from Anna. Old place @ 8.

. . .

"So are you two together or not?" Yoon Do asked as he looked at Ji Hong.

He shrugged his shoulders. "No."

"Isn't she dating the freelancer?"

Ji Hong nodded his head. "Yeah."

Yoon Do sighed. "At least things are progressing a little bit between you guys."

"Take it or leave it, right?" Ji Hong started poking around in his ice cream as he sighed. "Why does it feel like we're dating?"

"You and Hye Jung? I mean, you two did - "

Ji Hong chuckled as he looked at Yoon Do. "I'm talking about us."

Yoon Do looked at him and scoffed. "We are not."

"I know that." Ji Hong rolled his eyes. "But look at us." They were in Ji Hong's apartment, just finished watching the game and now eating ice cream together in the kitchen. "This is our fourth day in a row together after work, hanging out."

"That's because we're neighbors." Yoon Do said earnestly. "God, I need to find myself a girlfriend." He groaned as he slammed his head on the table.

Ji Hong smiled. "It seems like your uncle is trying to look for his second marriage."

Yoon Do started choking on his ice cream as he looked at Ji Hong with shocked and widened eyes. "You've got to be kidding me?! With another model?"

"I don't know who she is but from the looks of his smile, it seems just like the expression he had from his first marriage."

"Great. So he's finally getting smitten in love again and will probably end it under one year?"

Ji Hong thought back to Pa Ran's first marriage and it lasted only five months. As soon as the divorce was finalized, he became a casanova again. Sleeping and hanging out with so much women that he didn't bother on counting anymore. "Maybe this one will be different?"

"If my uncle is starting to really date again, I better step up my game." Yoon Do muttered under his breath.

. . .

Jun Ki exhaled deeply as soon as he saw Anna driving into the warehouse. He cleared his throat and smiled at her. "Why did you want to meet up?"

"Why didn't you inform me about her vacation?"

"I didn't think it was important."

Anna glared at him. "Wasn't important? When has any information about her become not important?"

He sighed. "That's not what it meant. The two day break was out of nowhere, she decided on it without telling me. I only knew about it last night when I was at her house. You know, after you took pictures of her in that bush." He looked at her with anger in his own eyes. "Plan B doesn't consist of you going around taking pictures of her for your own collection. Don't you think you terrified her enough with that camera? I still don't understand why following her around in the countryside that other day was needed. Not only did you made her injure herself but also destroyed that flower vase."

"I'll buy her another vase."

Jun Ki scoffed. "This isn't about buying her a new flower vase. It's about how you want to be a part of her life but you're making it a lot worse for yourself. I mean, remind me how threatening the lives of her love ones was a good idea in the first place?"

"She has to learn that she needs to follow orders. She has too much of an attachment with them. I need to break it for me to go in and take her away." Anna said.

"You're crazy." Jun Ki said. "I've said it before and I'll say it again. You're absolutely crazy." Before he could see it coming, Anna harshly slapped him across the cheek. "Yeah, violence has always been an answer to you."

Anna clenched her hands together as she glared at him. "You're a part of this as much as I am. Don't try to make yourself look innocent."

Jun Ki silently scoffed. "I'm not the one that actually ran over her dad and ex-fiancee with a black sedan." He narrowed his eyes at her. "In fact, I believe I wasn't even a part of this damn chaos until she flew to Paris and you asked me to do you favor!" He snapped his fingers repeatedly. "Oh! That's right!! It wasn't a favor! It was a threat!"

"I will punch you if you don't shut up."

"Where's my kid, Anna?!" Jun Ki screamed on top of his lungs. "Where is my child?!"

Anna stepped closer to her cousin. "Didn't I tell you? Until this is done, I will tell you where your kid is."

"And when is exactly is all of this done, Anna? Because it's been a year and all I've been seeing you do is act as your old self and I think we both know that you're not."

"Once Hye Jung knows that she needs me in her life, everything will be good."

"Do you even hear yourself?!" Jun Ki yelled. "She just basically put a thick wall between the two of you! She doesn't even consider you as a friend!"

Anna sighed. "That's why I'm starting to regret on sending you to Paris to be with her. I should've been there."

"That's what you regret? For not being in Paris to stalk her?" Jun Ki looked around the empty warehouse. "Look at where we are, Anna. We're hiding out in an empty warehouse to have this crazy conversation! What would uncle do once he finds out that you've been using his authority to get away with things you have been doing!"

"I warned you, Jun Ki-ah." Anna said slowly. "I'm not going to repeat myself."

. . .

Ji Hong opened the door and stared in surprise to see Hye Jung standing there. "What are you doing here?"

Hye Jung smiled as she looked at him. "You mind if I come in?"

"Oh," he moved aiside for to walk in. "Is there something wrong?"

She thought she was strong enough to continue on what she has been doing. But the kiss last night broke her, it absolutely tore her apart. Hye Jung thought that as long as she did her best with steering away from him that everything would be okay. She would just handle everything alone, again. It's what she always has done in her life. In order to protect the ones that she loves and cares for - it was always her solution. It wasn't until her conversation with Jun Ki earlier, she realized that it shouldn't be the way how she took it. Soo Chul was right a year ago, handling it herself has only made it worse. Keeping all these secrets from Ji Hong was the reason behind their breakup and he has the right to know. With everything that spilled about her feelings towards him last night, she didn't feel comfortable afterwards - that's because she didn't exactly share everything with him. And that's where Jun Ki's conversation came in mind - changing everything for her as she stand here in front of Ji Hong, her hands clenching onto each other out of nerves.

7PM @ Hye Jung's Apartment.

"Where are you going?" Hye Jung asked as she set up the dishes on the table for food. It's take out but still it deserves to be treated as a real meal. "Dinner's about to arrive."

Jun Ki chuckled awkwardly as he put his phone in his back pocket. "I have to be somewhere really quickly. I'll try to be back for dinner, I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Hye Jung started heading over to the living room to watch a bit of tv. "See you later."

He turned to head toward the door but stopped, exhaling deeply. "Hye Jung..."

"Hmm.."

"Have I ever told you what happened to my ex-girlfriend and I?" Jun Ki asked.

Hye Jung shrugged her shoulders. "A bit when we were in Paris but not much. I didn't want to pry further since it seemed to have been a sensitive subject for you."

"She was one of the most important people in my life and trust me, there are very few of them. I loved her a lot, I still do now. Sometimes when I look at certain things, it reminds me of her."

"Yeah, you told me about that."

Jun Ki smiled softly. "She and I had a tough patch in our lives. For some reason, she started acting cold and distant toward me. I spent weeks trying to do things that she loved, showering her with more love than ever." The memory of her made him chuckle. "It wasn't enough because she broke it off with me without reason. I spent days suffering in sorrow and anger, wondering why would she do this to me? We were perfect together."

"I'm so sorry to hear about this." Hye Jung knit her eyebrows together. "She must've had a reason." There has to be because as she sit here and listen to Jun Ki, all she can think about how similar their situation is with her and Ji Hong.

"She did." Jun Ki said. "She was pregnant."

Hye Jung's widened. "Wow."

"My family is people who are doctors, cops, and even politcians." Jun Ki scoffed as he thought about his family. "And she was someone who was doing an hourly job at a flower shop. She didn't think she would fit in with the crowd so she decided on her own to leave and take care of the baby." He took a deep breath. "I didn't even know about my kid until I got a phone call from a hospital, informing me of her death. A car accident, it was instant death."

She got up from the couch and walked over to him. "Jun Ki, I'm so sorry."

"I walked into that hospital, trembling in fear to face my kid." Jun Ki smiled. "He was crying and you know what he said when he saw me?" He couldn't stop the tears from sliding down on his face as he finally confessed to all the pain he went through. "He called me dad." Starting to choke, Jun Ki could only manage to breathe slowly as he tried to collect his thoughts. "She spent five years telling him how wonderful and strong of a father I was and that he should never hate me." Jun Ki looked at Hye Jung. "Even till death, she protected me in name for my kid."

Hye Jung wrapped her arms around Jun Ki. "I'm so sorry."

Jun Ki cleared his throat and pulled away, moving aside a piece of hair from her face. "That's what she thought she did, protecting me from our kid. Thinking that it would be some kind of burden or pain for me and my family. It's not true. I would've done anything for her like how she did for me." He smiled as he gripped onto Hye Jung's shoulders. "And that's where everything went wrong, Hye Jung. Thinking that you're protecting someone by keeping your lips sealed, it doesn't work like that. It may have worked several years ago as a kid, teenager or an adult who didn't know any better. But it doesn't work with two adults who has such strong feelings for each other like you and Hong Ji Hong. When two people who strongly love each other like the way you two do, every obstacle would seem as if it's nothing together. It's as if you can walk on water without drowning. What betters your relationship is the teamwork that you're able to showcase to one another as days go by." He chuckled as he shrugged his shoulders. "I mean if two people who were seperated for thirteen years found each other to fall into a deeper love. Doesn't that showcase how much of a strong bond of love and trust that they had before seperating again?"

"What are you trying to imply, Jun Ki?" Knowing him for a year, Jun Ki has never spoken about her relationship with Ji Hong. He was always the listening ear but he rarely said anything. The fact that he is suddenly outpouring his past and sharing advice is so alarming for her.

"What I'm trying to say is don't try to shy away from him just because you're worried about what would happen if you're with him. Why don't you worry of what could happen if you don't spend your time with him now?" Jun Ki hugged her again. "Well, I'll see you later." And he walked out of the apartment while whistling away.

Present time.

"Hye Jung.....Hye Jung?" Ji Hong stood in front of her, his eyes filled with concern. He has been calling her name for the past five minutes. "Are you okay?"

She nodded her head as she looked at him. She has missed looking at his face this up close, it's so beautiful. "I have something to tell you. Actually, I have a lot to tell you."

"Alright." He walked over to the table and sat across from her. "What is it?" He watched as she opened up her bag, taking out pieces of paper and laying them out on the table. From a quick glance, he could see that it looks like threats. Ji Hong adverted his attention over to Hye Jung as she took a deep breath to begin her story.

. . .

Hye Jung smiled as she held onto Ji Hong's hands as they walked into the hospital together. They spent hours talking about what happened and the truth behind everything. At first, she expected him to be angry but all he did was hug her, kissing the top of her head - reminding her everything is okay now. The way he held onto her tightly reassured that everything that Jun Ki said was true. Everything is okay when they're together, working on the real problem together. And honestly, whether the mysterious person finds out or not - she doesn't care. For the first time in a year, she is in her true happiest form with Ji Hong by her side.

Ji Hong could feel every staff member's eyes on them but he doesn't care. He's just happy to know that Hye Jung is back in his life 100% and know that he knows the truth, there are two things he needs to do. First, beat the crap out of Director Kim Tae Ho for hiding something as big as this. Lastly, to find the bastard behind everything and make their life a living hell. He stopped at his office, holding onto Hye Jung's tighter. "I'll see you later?"

"Yeah." Leaning forward, they kissed and pulled away. Hye Jung waved goodbye and started walking toward the elevator when she saw Anna looking at her, just standing there as if she was frozen. "Morning, Doctor Oh."

Anna stared at her. "Morning."

Hye Jung arched an eyebrow in confusion but she rather not press on about anything with Anna. Carrying on with her own business, she walked into the elevator to start work.

. . .

Soo Chul chuckled as he watched Hye Jung and Ji Hong feed each other during their lunch break. "Did I honestly get called into this hospital to witness you two be lovey dovey again?"

"No. I called you to apologize and I admit my fault for keeping it to myself." Hye Jung explained.

He nodded his head. "Took you long enough."

The sound of high heels quickly pacing over to their table distracted their laughter as they looked up to see Seo Woo, breathing heavily. "Hye Jung!"

Hye Jung looked at her with a worrisome eyes. "What is it?"

"Emergency Unit! Emergency Unit!" She screamed on top of her lungs.

Hye Jung and everyone else immediately dropped everything and started rushing out toward the emergency lobby of the hospital. "What patient do I have to work on?"

Ji Hong looked around. "It doesn't look like there was a major accident, Doctor Jin. What is it?"

Seo Woo waved her hand at the motion sensor and held onto her breath as she watched Yoon Do try his best to perform CPR on the patient. Ji Hong and Hye Jung both walked up into the room, their eyes widened from the blood on sight. Yoon Do was practually covered in the patient's blood, it must've been because the CPR and what seems like over twenty stab wounds on the patient. Soo Chul finally got up with everyone and peeked in the room to see what's going on. Immediately, he almost stopped breathing while clenching onto the doors to balance himself. The sound of the machines flatlining alarmed them that the patient has passed away. Yoon Do stopped performing CPR, he dropped his hand to his sides - his eyes adverting over to everyone. "I'm sorry." His eyes glanced over to the clock on the wall. "Time of death....2:31PM."

Hye Jung clenched onto her heart as she faltered backwards with Soo Chul and Ji Hong catching her. She looked at the patient one last time before losing her conciousness within seconds. The dead patient was Lee Jun Ki.

 

A/N: Ahhhhhh, surprise! Here is another chapter! This is probably the longest chapter I've written by far and I feel so happy with it. I've decided to end this story at 20 Chapters and it's going to be tough saying goodbye once it's over. This story has unexpectedly been receiving so much love and support that I really don't know how to thank you all. It's really been a fun journey. There are four more chapters to go so it's not over yet! I may be taking a break for a few days since this week I have written almost four chapters so I hope you don't mind! Again, thank you for continuing to love this story and supporting it so much - it really means the whole world to me. Thank you for all the beautiful comments from the previous chapter! Sorry for any mistakes! I really hope you like this chapter!

HERE IS THE BIG QUESTION: Once this story ends, I am thinking about writing another JIHYE based story and would only do it if you ALL would like for it to happen. So it's up in the air and a decision to be made once I finish this one (: