A New Friend

Girls Like Girls

Irene sat in front of Wendy while they were eating their lunch at school. It was one of those days where the two of them would leave their respective group of friends and just hang out together. They were in the midst of having a lovely chat about how Sea World shouldn’t keep orcas, or any animal for that matter, in captivity. Suddenly Joohyun eyed her shorter friend and asked:

 

“Wan-ah, have you been okay lately?”

 

Wendy looked up at her best friend and faked a smile before responding.

 

“Hyunnie of course I feel fine! There’s nothing wrong I promise.”

Irene took a big bite out of her sandwich and was munching happily when Wendy mumbled:

 

“Why? Have you heard any um... rumours? Lately? Like, I don't know, about me?”

 

Seungwan realized that she might’ve been too obvious.

 

“No… Is there something you want to tell me Wannie?” asked Joohyun with full of her lunch. 

 

Before she could answer, Wendy was cut off by none other than her fake crush.

 

“Hello Wendy! Hello princess,” he sat down and gave Joohyun a kiss, “How are both of you doing today?” 

 

The younger girl felt her energy slowly draining but she wouldn’t show it.

 

“I’m doing great today and I’m sure Joohyun could say the same for herself.” 

 

Joohyun looked at her best friend quizzically before turning to her boyfriend.

 

“Yeah I’m good too. How about you Gummie?” asked Irene.

 

He kissed her on the cheek and replied: “I was good and now, I’m even better since you’re with me.”

 

Wendy winced at the kiss and then had to keep herself from gagging at the cheesy comment. Little did she know that the girl sitting across from her looked just as uncomfortable as she did, if not more.

 

“I’m going to go to the library to do some last minute studying. See you Baechu, bye Bogum.” Wendy got up quickly and practically made a run for the library, leaving the couple alone. 

 

Once she got there, she rushed into the nearest aisle of books to calm herself down. As soon as she felt better, she decided to start browsing through the aisle. 

 

“How ironic, I ended up in the romance section.” 

Wendy scoffed and picked up the classic Rome and Juliet. While removing the book from the shelf, she someone on the other side of the shelf looking right at her. Wendy screamed and fell flat on her . Suddenly a girl came running around into her row and started apologizing profusely.

 

“I am so sorry! I did’t realize someone was on the other side! I really didn’t mean to startle you, are you hurt?” the mystery girl was firing a bunch of questions and apologies to Wendy.

Seungwan looked at the girl in front of her. Brown eyes, long dark hair, big smile… Just who was this person who appeared? The light brown haired girl got up and stuck her hand out.

 

“My name is Son Seungwan. But people usually call me Wendy.”

 

The mystery girl shook Wendy’s hand and introduced herself as well.

 

“I’m Kang Seulgi, it’s very nice to meet you Seungwan.” 

 

Wendy smiled at the use of her korean name. The two of them quickly hit it off and soon learnt that they were in the same grade. There were many people in their classes so it was understandable that they had never met before. The bell rang, forcing them to end their conversation. Seulgi was about to leave when Wendy quickly asked:

 

“We should sit together at lunch tomorrow! I’ll meet you at the water fountain on the first floor?”

 

Seulgi smiled and answered the girl with an enthusiastic yes.

 

“See you around!”

 

Wendy was proud of herself. She had never really had any other friends besides Joohyun, Joy and Yerim. The girl was excited to finally have some new company. Hearing the bell ring again, Wendy realized that she was late for her next class. She sprinted towards her locker, grabbed her stuff and made a run for her biology class.