HYSTERIE

Masquerade of the Fallen Angels


For the first time in her life, Eunji found herself unable to react even after their lips parted. All she could do at that moment was to avert her eyes and look at the side. But Sunggyu wasn’t willing to let her go yet.

 

He started by brushing a strand of stray hair to the side of her face, then carefully, his fingers caressed her cheek and moved to her shin, lifting her head up. When their eyes met again, Sunggyu found himself losing all the self control he had left and crashing his lips to hers, again.

 

That’s when Eunji broke out of her trance, as her eyes widened. She started pushing him away with all her force, but with his hands holding her face, it was almost impossible to break the kiss.
As seconds passed by, Sunggyu became more forceful, and Eunji’s pushing turned to pulling, returning the kiss and their lips started dancing together.

 

Sunggyu didn’t know what got in him. It was an experiment to confirm his feelings for her. He thought it was a little crush, flair. But it turned out that he was so wrong… and doomed.

 

He thought that a peck will be more than enough to ease his heart, but once their lips touched, a hungry monster rose within him.

 

If it wasn’t for the lack of air, Sunggyu was nowhere near to pull away.

 

They both were slightly panting, eyes closed, Eunji’s hands the front of his shirt, one of his hands caressing her neck while the other was on her waist.
Slowly, he opened his eyes, examining the beauty between his hands; eyes still closed, cheeks flushed and lips crimson red. Sunggyu felt the urge to kiss them again. But when she opened her eyes and he saw the hurt and terror in her eyes he realized his mistake.

 

“That was my first…” she muttered, lowering her head and pushing Sunggyu’s hand away from her neck.

 

She hates me…’

 

He felt like for losing control and hurting her in the process. He didn’t even confess and there was a very slight possibility she liked him, but there he is, stealing her first kiss, and probably ruining their friendship.

 

“It’s my first too…” he confessed, taking a step back and giving her more space. ‘And I’m glad it is…’ he thought.

 

“You said it’s safe now, let’s go then.” She said, after few minutes of silence.

 

Sunggyu watched her straighten herself and walking away confidently, as if nothing ever happened, her face stoic as ever.

 


The walk home was like hell, he didn’t know what to say or how to act, whether he should confess or just blame it on the drunkenness.


But what was killing him more was Eunji’s facial expression. It was more unreadable than usual, if possible.

 

“We’re here.” Eunji said when they reached the building.

 

Sunggyu hummed absentmindedly.

 

“Sunggyu.” She called firmly, getting him out of his trance.

 

The silent pause that followed was what Sunggyu feared the most.

 

“About tonight… I know that we both were drunk and were caught in the moment…” she paused again.

 

‘I wasn’t that drunk.’ Sunggyu thought, not having the courage to voice it out.

 

“So let’s not over think what just happened and let’s forget about it.” She continued.

 

Two different feelings washed over him. The first one was the sense of relieve, knowing that she didn’t hate him and wasn’t mad at him. But the second one was disappointment. He didn’t want to forget about it. He wanted to confess actually, but after his rush decision, his chances were ruined. Her answer is already that obvious. Rejection, that what it was.

 

“I never thought about having a relationship with anyone, especially in a romantic way. Thus, unlike normal teenagers, I never had any fantasies about my first kiss. The most romantic thing I can think about is an arranged marriage with a businessman double my age.” She smiled bitterly.


“But even though we don’t have that kind of a relationship, I don’t regret you stealing my first kiss. It could’ve been worse, in circumstances you would never imagine with someone I hate. I’m glad it was you. You made it a beautiful memory. ” She confessed sincerely, a shy smile creeping in her lips.

 

Her straightforwardness confused Sunggyu to no end. His heart was beating uncontrollably in his chest.

 

The things Eunji does to me.'

 

“I’m glad it was you too. Like all other teenagers, I always wondered how my first would be. It was more beautiful than I ever imagined, even though we’re friends.” He said the last part bitterly, but never letting it show on his face, keeping a bright smile.

 

“Glad to hear that. I was afraid it could make things awkward between us.” She sighed in relief.

 

“Don’t worry. Go inside, it’s getting chillier."

 

He watched as she went inside, waving a last time, smiling brightly.

 

 


Few months ago, Sunggyu couldn’t imagine them being friends. And even when she agreed to be his friend, he never thought they’ll get that closer in such a short time. It showed in Eunji a lot how much she opened to him. The way she brightened a lot, the way she started talking more freely and more often, her jokes, her teasing and her straightforwardness. It made him realize that she was playful by nature. But the environment she grew up in was enough to make any flower wither.

 

He still sensed that she was hiding a lot from him. Hell, he was nowhere near solving the riddle that was her life. But he was satisfied with his achievements. He could see the changes he brought to her life and he was proud.

 

Eunji wasn’t one to be touchy around people, heck she hated having any contact.


With Sunggyu, it was another story. It became a normal thing between them to hold hands, a reflex gesture. And with them being dance partners, they became more familiar with each others’ touches. It was as a sign of trust between humans, it meant that Eunji trusted him and he trusted her.

 

True, he was head over heels in love with her. He could finally admit it after that night. But he valued their friendship too much to ruin it for his selfish feelings. He’d rather keep the friends title than go back to being strangers. He still had a lot of time ahead of him; he decided to take things slowly from then on.

 

‘The most romantic thing I can think about is an arranged marriage with a businessman double my age.’ Her words kept repeating in his head, making him feel bad.

How hard is it for her to be thinking that way?! She really thinks I’ll allow that. Even if it takes me ten years, I’ll make her fall for me.’ He promised himself.

 

 

 

Eunji was no better than Sunggyu. She kept trashing in her bed the whole night, thinking about what happened earlier.

 

I must be crazy! Why on earth did I kiss back and why did I say those words! Now he’ll think I like him!’ she cursed herself and started rolling like a worm in her bed, but stopped after a while.

 

“And why did I like kissing him that much?! What’s wrong with me?” she asked to no one in particular. The question wasn’t even directed to herself.

 

“This is so wrong…I shouldn’t be feeling anything…” she sighed in defeat.

 

 

 

As promised, Sunggyu and Eunji continued being friends, without any awkwardness lingering after that night. If anything, they got closer. And Sunggyu was thankful for that.

 

From: Sunggyu:
Are you sure you’re not coming with us?


To: Sunggyu:
Don’t want to.


From: Sunggyu:
Whyyyyyyy????!! It will be really fun !!

 

Eunji smiled imagining Sunggyu’s whine. They were texting like every time they weren’t together.

 

To: Sunggyu:
I don’t know who lied to you but it’s extremely torture.

 

From: Sunggyu:
We’re going to the mountains so of course is going to be tough. I’m not an idiot! But it’s more fun if we’re together.

 

To: Sunggyu:
Where are they taking you again?


From: Sunggyu:
You don’t know the location?! We’re going to Jeju you idiot!

 

Eunji’s eyes lightened up.


To: Sunggyu:
Since you’re insisting, I’ll come.


From: Sunggyu:
REALLY!!! Assaaah! The kids won’t believe this!! They said you never came to any school trip, but look at you!! I’m so proud of you *fake tears*

 


Eunji chuckled because of Sunggyu’s response. She always avoided going on school trips, afraid something bad could happen when she’s away. But recently, she’s been trying to take the chances offered to her and enjoy her time. Well, she had other intentions when she agreed to his request though.

 

“Hello Taeil! Can you make me an appointment to meet with that detective?” she said over the phone.

 

“I told you I can’t, it’s still too risky.” The guy answered from the other end of the line.

 

“Don’t worry, I found the most unsuspicious way to go there, just tell the man I’m coming to meet him!” she ordered.

 

“Okay okay! I won’t take responsibility if bad things happen! Bye for now! I have work!” and the line got cut.

 

‘I’m used to bad things happening anyways.’ She released a heavy sigh.

 

 

 

The gang was more than devastated when they saw Eunji the next day at the airport.

 

“She really came… can someone pinch me. Ouch!” Sungyeol rubbed the skin where Bora just pinched him.

 

“I’m glad to see you too Sungyeol.” Eunji said, with a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

 

“I’ll call this ‘Sunggyu’s magic’! How did he convince you to come? I heard that the camp is going to be extremely hell this time.” Said Krystal.

 

“Not only Miss Amy is here but Mr. Kwon and the vice headmaster are coming too. We’re going to serve our army duty earlier than expected.” Added Myungsoo frowning.

 


“Guys, everyone’s here, let’s get going then! We can’t miss the plan.” Miss Amy called.

 

All the students followed her and one by one they got on the plane. Everyone took his seat according to the number on his plane ticket. And by coincidence, Sunggyu found himself sitting between Eunji and Myungsoo, Krystal by Myungsoo’s side, while Bora and Sungyeol were sitting in the front row, next to another classmate.

 

Myungsoo and Krystal were chatting lightly, obviously flirting. Sunggyu found himself staring at Eunji who was looking absentmindedly at the sky from the window. When the plane started taking off, he saw how tightly her hands were fisted in her lap. He reached for her hand and he intertwined their fingers.

 

“Relax, it’s going to end soon.” He comforted her when he saw the panic in her eyes. She nodded, seemingly calmer, her hand holding his tightly.

 

Even after the plane steadied in the sky and passengers were allowed to take off their seatbelts, Eunji never loosened her grip on Sunggyu’s hand. He didn’t mind it though.

 

“This is the last thing I thought you could be afraid of.” He joked.

 

“There’s a lot of things that I’m afraid of.” She admitted after a while of silence, still staring at the window. “Closed areas, water, money, my mother, losing a close person.” She turned to him saying the last part. “But I never let my fears get the best of me. I learned how to control them and face them in order to reach my goals.” She added.

 

“I envy you.” Sunggyu smiled warmly at her. “I still have a lot of fears that still haunt me.” He leaned back on his seat and closed his eyes, his smile never fading. “Try and have a little bit of sleep, we’ll need it.”

 

She hummed in response, curious about what kind of fears he had.

 


“Guys look!” Krystal and Myungsoo pointed at the two sitting next to them, catching Bora and Sungyeol’s attention. The latter took his phone out and used the chance to take pictures of the couple.

 

Sunggyu and Eunji were both sleeping, unaware of their surroundings. Their hands were still glued to each other’s, resting on Sunggyu’s lap.
Eunji’s had dropped her head at some point on Sunggyu’s shoulder, his head resting on hers. They looked very calm and peaceful in a romantic way.
Krystal cooed at the sight, making Sunggyu shift a little bit and waking him up.

 

“What are you guys staring at?” he asked, eyes barely open, still adjusting to the light.

 

“You two.” Bora grinned amused.

 

“Huh?!” he looked at his side to find another beautifully breathtaking sight: Eunji’s peaceful sleepy face, leaning on her shoulder. Unconsciously, a smile found its way to his lips.

 

“Wake her up, we’re about to land.” Said Myungsoo. Sungyeol and Bora went back to their seats.

 

“Eunji-ah!” he called softly, not wanting to startle her up.

 

She stirred before her eyes started opening up. She was quick to realize her position so she straightened herself back on her seat.

“Are we there?”

 

“Uhmm, fasten your seat belt.” He ordered warmly.

 

Fortunately, the landing didn’t affect Eunji as much as the taking off. But still, Sunggyu sensed the tight tug on his hand.

 

 

 

The camping site was pretty big and better than they expected. It was a green zone not far away from the beach and at the feet of the mountain.

 

Students had to set their own tents, which was in Sunggyu’s eyes, a very complicated activity, especially when he was paired with someone as unreasonable as Sungyeol and lazy and Myungsoo. It took them hours to make it look like a decent tent.

 

“We’ll we fit in there? It looks tiny.” Sungyeol noted.

 

“I doubt it will fit someone with limbs as long as yours.” Myungsoo remarked.

 

“Maybe you should sleep outside. Unless you could have another tent for your legs! ” Suggested Sunggyu teasingly, high fiving Myungsoo, while the tall pouted so badly.

 

“Come on everyone! Food is ready!” Miss Lee called, making the students cheer. They were dying with exhaustion and hunger.

 

Without any delay, they all went to the sole building in the site, getting their food from the kitchen. Then you went back to the outside to take a sit at one of the settled wooden tables.

 

Just like back in school, Sunggyu, Eunji, Bora, Sungyeol, Myungsoo and Krystal took a table together, enjoying their lunch, chatting and laughing.

 

It was the first day at the camp so they weren’t forced to do anything and have fun, the real work will start the next day.

 

So the students found themselves free to do whatever they want but not to go far away. Some of them chose to go swimming, others sunbathing and others started playing games.

 

“You really don’t want to swim?” Sunggyu asked for the umpteenth time. He and the rest were having a lot of fun in the water while Eunji chose to stay at the chore, reading a book.

 

“I told you I don’t know how to swim, and I don’t like water either.” She insisted.

 

“I can teach you, you know.” He suggested.

 

Eunji looked as if she was contemplating his offer but then shook her head.

 

“Then I’ll stay with you.” He decided, surprising her.

 

“No, I won’t die if I stay alone, you go and have fun.”

 

“Don’t want to.” He said, taking a seat on the sand next to her.

 

“Too much stubbornness.” She shook her head.

 

“Like you’re any better.”

 

 

They stayed like that for few minutes, falling in a comfortable silence. Eunji sensed that he wanted to say something though.

 

“My biggest fear is to face my brother.” Eunji looked at him in surprise, not expecting his words.

 

“I never visited his grave.” He continued.

 

Sunggyu actually mentioned his brother few times to Eunji and told her that he was dead, but he never said anything in particular about his death or how he felt about it. It was his first time opening about it to her.

 

“I know that Minggyu is dead, but I’m still afraid of going to his grave, to finally confirm his death. I’m still hoping to wake up one day and find out that all of this is a dream and that I’m still seven years old with Minggyu by my side. But if I visit him there, I’m going to crash the last hope I still have.” He took a sharp breath. “I felt envious earlier when you talked about how you face your fears, I want to do it too, I want to go there. But I still can’t find the courage to do so.” He looked at his feet.

 

Eunji put her hand on his. He turned to her side, finding her smiling tenderly to him, making his heart flatter.

 

“You know what, I will let you teach me how to swim. And when we go back to Seoul, I will take you there. I’ll be there for you.”

 

Her sincere words made his heart flood with a warm feeling, making him smile in the process.

 

“What are you waiting for, let’s get going. It’s going to be very hard to teach me.” She stood up, offering her hand to help him stand up.

 

Sunggyu took the hand gladly, and together they approached the water.

 

Just like when they were on the plane, he sensed her tensing up, and her steps becoming heavier and more hesitant the deeper they went.

 

“It’s okay, I’m with you. Look at me.”

 

Eunji’s breath started quickening when the water reached her shoulder level, but when her eyes met Sunggyu’s, she couldn’t help but calm down at the soft assuring look he gave her.

 

Sunggyu wasn’t a good teacher, but for Eunji, he was the best.

 

“I don’t wanna make you so full of yourself, but none of the swimming tutors I ever had were lucky enough to get me to two feet level.” She admitted after finally succeeding in floating in the water.

 

“Well it means they , because you’re really a fast learner.” He remarked.

 

“I know right!” she giggled.

 

“Okay, enough for today! We should go back and get ready for dinner.” they started pushing their way out of the water.

 

Ah right, I forgot to call Taeil!’ she remembered.

 

 


During dinner, Sunggyu noticed the changing in Eunji’s mood. They only parted for the time they had to shower and change but here she is not responding to their jokes and barely eating.

 

It concerned Sunggyu so much.

 

When she left to return her barely touched plate to the kitchen, Sunggyu noticed that she forgot her phone on the bench.

 

It suddenly buzzed and the screen lightened, a new message has been received. Sunggyu didn’t mean to read it when it showed for few seconds on the lock screen, but he did.

 

From: Taeil:
Tonight at 1 am, at the park near the camp. He’ll be waiting.

 

Suspicious, very suspicious. That’s what Sunggyu thought.

 

‘Who’s Taeil? Who’s she meeting? And why is their meeting so late? Does it have a connection with her bad mood earlier?’ Questions, that’s what all he had on his mind. From the dinner time to the moment he’s still trashing in his camping bag.

 

He was contemplating whether to go or not. Not knowing what he’ll get himself involved in and either he’ll be invading her privacy.

 

“Sunggyu for god’s sake stop! It’s already hard enough with this sleeping panda and half my legs out of the tent!” Sungyeol complained.

 

“Sorry, I can’t sleep. I’ll go out for a walk and I’ll be back!” Sunggyu then took his phone and exited the tent.

 

“Don’t stay for too long!” said Sungyeol, pushing a sleeping Myungsoo off him.

 

 

 

It was almost the time for the meeting and Sunggyu found himself already in the park, hiding behind a huge flower bush. He didn’t know why he was doing this but he knew he’ll regret it later. He wasn’t used to eavesdropping, yet his curiosity would’ve killed him if he stayed in and slept.

 

The park wasn’t extremely dark thanks to few lamps, so it made it easier for Sunggyu to see the old man that came and sat on a nearby bench, obviously waiting for someone.

 

Sunggyu tried to hide himself better when he saw Eunji coming.

 

“Mr. Byung Hee-Bong?” she asked to confirm.

 

“Yes, it’s me. Miss Jung?” Eunji nodded.

 

“Thank you for accepting to meet me.” She sat next to him.

 

Sunggyu was kind of scared of getting caught, knowing how conservative Eunji was, so he completely hid behind the bush, unable to see them, but could hear them really clearly.

 

“I expected someone…”

 

“Older?” she finished for the man. “Please don’t let my age get in the way and tell me everything about what happened forty two years ago in this town. I need to know everything.” She insisted.

 

“Will you be okay?” he hesitated, looking concerned.

 

“I’m expecting all kind of bad things, I just wanna know the truth.” She looked very determined, so the man agreed half heartedly.

 

“How much do you know?” he asked.

 

“I read the case’s files from the day of the crime to the trial’s day. I wasn’t really convinced by it though. Then I received the files you sent, why are they so different from the other detective’s investigation?” she asked.

 

By that point Sunggyu’s ears were perking more, alerted by the serious talk.

 

“Back then I was still a rookie detective, and it happened that two days before the crime I had a little disagreement with the head detective, making him totally ignore my investigation about the case. But I didn’t give up and kept doing my researchers. Even when none of my superiors spared a look at my investigation, I refused to let go and kept those files hidden for years, still having hope that a new clue will show up.”

 

“When everyone believed the daughter was the victim, why made you think she was the culprit?” she asked, still hopeful of proving him wrong.

 

“Her statements contrasted with the evidences so much, it was impossible to ignore it. Maybe because the case attracted the media and international organizations that tried to protect the daughter since she was still a kid, the police officers decided to overlook those little details, afraid it will enrage the public.” He started explaining.


“What was for sure is that the father was abusive, often beating his daughter and wife. That’s what made them believe the scenario she came with. She said that her father came home around 9 pm and started beating her. Her mother decided to stop her husband when she saw him pick a knife. He was drunk. She succeeded in protecting the fourteen years old girl but ended up stabbing him. Being strong enough he didn’t go down without a fight, stabbing her with the same knife, resulting their death. The police came around midnight, to find the girl in shock; she was the one who called them. Quiet dramatic, that’s what people thought. But there was more to it.”

 

Eunji was listening to him attentively. Same for Sunggyu, but he was confused as hell.

 

“The neighbors said that they heard the girl’s scream about three to four times a week. One of the details that the other investigators overlooked was that the father wasn’t the only one beating her.”

 

“Her mother too?” Eunji guessed.

 

“True. Her mother was a housewife and her father was a butcher. Sometimes when he was at his work, many people heard her mother beating her.”

 

“So she was always the one beaten up… no wonder she grew up to be that way.” Eunji felt bad.

 

“There was one alibi the police didn’t take seriously. Their blind neighbor. She was a very old lady, but her house was the closed to theirs. She was the one that started my doubts. She told me that during that night, she didn’t hear any sounds or screaming coming from the house, not even the girl’s. She also told me that the father only came around eleven in the evening, an hour before the police cars came.”

 

“You said she’s blind, how would she know the time?” Eunji questioned about the same thing Sunggyu was wondering about.

 

“Radio, she’s never turn it off. Some neighbors even complained about it. But like you, I didn’t take her words very seriously, until I searched it more. That’s when I saw the autopsy and the results of the daughter’s medical checkout.” He took out a few papers from the file in his hands. “One, the daughter’s bruises were all old, the most recent ones were from two days earlier than the accident’s day, which confirms that she wasn’t beaten p that day. Second, her mother was the one who had a lot of recent bruises and even rope traces around her wrests, which means she was tied up and beaten up before being murdered. Three, her father’s cause of death.”

 

“Wasn’t it a knife stab?” Eunji asked.

 

“Yes it was, but he was very strong and muscular. Only a stab to the heart could finish him off, not to his forearm.”

 

“Forearm? Are you implying he died because of something else?”

 

“No, that cut was enough to drain him from blood in few minutes. The artery that was cut by the knife did the whole job.”

 

“Maybe it was out of luck?”

 

“It could be. But wait till you see the daughter’s way of slaughtering animals.” He took few old pictures from the file, showing them to her. “She admitted that her father always forced her to kill the little animals. Her cuts are always the same. Instead of beheading them, she would just cut certain veins and leave them bleed to death.”

 

Eunji kept looking at the pictures, deep in thought.

 

“I’m not really convinced by the original investigation, but I’m not convinced by your either.”

 

“Well, I’m still not finished. That night, the butcher closed his shop at eight pm. Don’t you want to know where he was for a whole three hours? This was the last part of the chain that made my investigation lacking back then. I heard he had an affair with someone, and I talked with her. But she refused to admit it, since she was married. But a week ago she called. She was on her death bed, so she told me that he spent about two hours and a half with her before going back home. That was when the last piece of puzzle came in place. That’s why I sent those files to your father.”

 

Eunji kept silent for few minutes. Sunggyu was mind blown but what he just heard and how twisted the case was.

 

“So you’re saying that she killed her mother and kept waiting for her father until he came back and finished him off too.”

 

“There’s a possibility that she tortured her mother before stabbing her.” He felt bad for Eunji when he saw how hard she was trying to keep her composer.

 

“Listen, even if she was the one who killed her parents, I won’t say that she wasn’t a victim. The circumstances she lived in since she was born were enough of a reason to make her do so.”

 

“Still, she’s not innocent.” She spitted.

 

Sunggyu finally peeked from his hideout, checking her expression. It wasn’t as surprised as he expected, instead, there was a lot of despite and hate in it.

 

“There’s something that I’m curious about though.” The man resumed. “I expected you to be more shocked and to doubt my words at some point. But, you don’t look that phased by this revelation, as if you were expecting it or it’s not something new to you.”

 

“I know what kind of woman she is, how many people she killed and how many lives she ruined.” Eunji answered curtly.

 

‘Who’s she for God’s sake?’ Sunggyu questioned himself annoyed.

 

“By any chance, did she ever try and…” the man couldn’t finish his question.

 

“Kill me? She did and she’s still trying.”

 

“At least she had a reason to kill her parents, but her own daughter, isn’t that too much?” the man asked, surprised.

 

‘H-her… own… daughter?’ Sunggyu started having difficulty breathing.

 

“Well, that’s how twisted Kim Misook is.” Added Eunji in the coldest tone ever.

 

 

 


 

 

THREE UPDATES IN LESS THAN A WEEK !! I'm amazed by myself. I wasn't even planning to finish this chapter this fast.

I hope you like it ^__^

I told you, things are getting more serious chapter by chapter.

Thank you for subscribing and reading my story :*** Tell me what you think about this chapter, the story, your guesses and everything you want (I really read all the comments and i'm sorry for not replying :/) Your comments fuel my want to write you know