STANDING FACE TO FACE

Masquerade of the Fallen Angels

If you know the song (Infinite's <3 Stading face to face <3 ) then you probably know what's going to happen in this chapter. I advice you to listen to it when reading the ending scene, to put you in the mood. 

 


 

2007

 

Eunji has been training for hours, in hope of draining her body from energy and sleeping soundlessly for once.

 

"Aren't you going too hard on yourself?" a voice asked from behind, startling her. 

 

She was chocked at the sight of her cousin standing in the deserted fighting club.

 

"What a re you doing in here?" she said nonchalantly.

 

No matter how bad memories Woohyun brought to her, she always remained unfazed by his existence, mostly thanks to her disorder.

 

"Checking on you." 

 

His reply made her scoff. "Leave before I call security." 

 

"Not before I say what I came to say." he said determined.

 

"If it's another apology, don't bother. You can't be forgiven."

 

Since she had came back to Seoul, he pestered her with his continuous apologies, and she almost gave up.

 

"I figured out that apologies are not what you need." he leaned against the wall, crossing his hands. She raised a questioning eyebrow at him. "I heard about the team your father had built. You want to end your mother, right?" 

 

"I'm not even surprised that you know. So what? Are you going to stop us?"she gave him a challenging look.

 

"Actually,I want to help. I can be your spy. What do you think?" 

 

"HAHAHA!That's the funniest thing I heard in a while. You want to help us?What kind of bull is that?" she demanded mockingly. "You're someone that betrayed me before. How am I supposed to trust you again or let anyone entrust anything to you? Are you crazy or what?" 

 

"NoI'm not and I'm being sincere right now. I really want to help you, to redeem for my previous mistake." his tone was dead serious."Three big trucks are going to reach Seoul's port at one in the morning tomorrow. They contain more than three hundreds kids and women that are going to be sold to a human trafficker there. If you don't believe me, then you go and see them by yourself." he said before leaving.

 

 

Eunji tried to test him so she sent Zico to the location to check it out. And Woohyun's words were proved right.

 

It took her a lot of time to actually trust him, but he forced himself on her, always sending her useful information. She didn't have anyother choice but to give up.

 

 

-

 

 

"It was about time that I get caught. So I was always prepared."Woohyun explained to the team's members. "I also brought with me something very useful for you." he put a very old briefcase on the long table.

 

"In here, there's all the papers that prove the difference between Mr. Jang's management of the company and Mrs. Kim's management. It shows how different her ways are from his. These files are so old and these are the sole copies existing." 

 

"So by the use of this papers, we can prove to the public that the company was built in the right way but just fell in the wrong hands, right? That's way the reputation of the Jang groups won't be totally damage." Taeil asked.

 

"That's right."

 

"Do you know were the safe is?" Sungjong demanded.

 

"It's in the mansion. But I don't really know its exact location. It's hidden in a secret room, I guess." Woohyun replied.

 

A weird silence fell on the room. Everyone deeply thinking about what Woohyun just said.

 

"So seeing how things came to this. I think that Wooohyun needs to stay in here. It's too dangerous to let him out." Eunji said hesitantly.

 

In fact, no one would've dared to oppose that idea, it was an obvious decision after all. But Sunggyu's expression was already dark from the unexpected surprise he just experienced, to announce that Woohyun needed to stay within the team, she knew that he won't be that pleased. And she was so right.

 

'Of course it was Woohyun. How couldn't I see it coming? I'm so foolish...'

 

'But doesn't that mean that Eunji was pretending to hate Woohyun all these times? was it an act?'

 

Sunggyu remained unmoved even when the meeting ended and everyone left the room, so Eunji cautiously approached him.

 

"Aren't you going back?"

 

Sunggyu was teared away from his thoughts to realize the vacant room. He abruptly stood up, not giving a single look to Eunji's direction.

 

"Are you okay?" she asked him.

 

"Yeah. Just a little bit surprised, that's all. I'm leaving now." He gave her the most obviously forced smile ever and left in a hurry.

 

 

Sunggyu was walking absentmindedly to the elevator when a hand reached for him and dragged him to the emergency stairs. He was startled at first, but calmed down the moment he saw Woohyun. 

 

"What do you want?" he asked impatiently.

 

"I wanted to ask you about the results." Woohyun answered, but Sunggyu just took a deep breath to calm himself.

 

"When you didn't come to meet me, I thought that maybe they were really negative. But seeing your reaction just know, I can assume that they are positive, right?" 

 

"Yes they are. Why? Are you going to spread it to the world?" the youngest snapped at him.

 

"I told you I'm not going to use them. I left the decision in your hands." he paused a little. "Are they really positive?" he asked again in a soft voice and Sunggyu just nodded.

 

Sunggyu was surprised when the elder patted his shoulder comfortingly. "It's going to be hard but I'm sure you will make the right choice. I will support you no matter what. Be strong and fighting." Woohyun smiled warmly. 

 

It was exactly what Sunggyu needed at that moment. Someone who'd support him even if he knew the truth. And it made him hate Woohyun a tad less. 

 

"Thank you." he smiled faintly to the eldest.

 

 

-

 

 

Eunji had expected that Sunggyu would get mad once the deal between her and Woohyun get exposed. After all, she had only told him about the eldest betrayal and how much she hated him, but never did she tell him about the secret they shared.

Dongwoo was furious as well and had been sulking for days, but he came to accept it after she explained the situation to him.

But her expectations about Sunggyu's reaction were all wrong. the said boy didn't show any sign of anger nor did he bring the matter again.

 

It was weird at first, knowing what kind of guy he was. Then she noticed the gloomy shadow that was always floating around him.

He started speaking much less and his smiles were forced. Even the look in his eyes was something new, something she couldn't decipher and has never seen before.

 

Coming to think of it, those unreadable emotions hooding his orbs had been there for so long, maybe since he came from the US or maybe slightly before he had gone there. It's just that Eunji ignored their existence at first, thinking that she was paranoid. But now, they were there, more obvious that ever and it was killing her from the inside to know the truth behind them.

 

But what was killing her more was that Sunggyu was still pretending that everything was okay, as if he didn't want her to notice how torn apart he was.

 

How she wished he would just get angry and let everything out.

 

 

-

 

 

'If you're listening to this track that means that you're facing a hard situation and you need to make a choice, but you're afraid of making a mistake, right?'

 

Sunggyu was sitting on the ground, watching the sky from the rooftop of the second building, earbugs in and Eunji's voice ringing through them.

 

'Sometimes the choice you make might be bad, but right, while other times you could go with the good choice but it's not right. Okay that probably didn't make sense.' her cute remark brought a smile to his lips, a sincere but still sad one.

'What I mean, is that you should do what you want to do, not what people think is best to do. Follow your heart!' Sunggyu smiled again at Eunji's giggle.

'One more thing, you need to think about yourself first. I know what kind of person you are and I'm sure that you'll only make what's best for others even if it causes you misfortune. I don't want you to neglect yourself for the sake of others and especially not for mine. So please always put yourself in consideration, will you?' her tone was pleading. 

'Anyways Kim Sunggyu! Fighting'

 

'I don't think I can do that. I'm not in a situation to think of myself. I'll only do what will make your life less painful in the future.'

 

The teenage boy closed his eyes and got lost in his thoughts while listening to the song Eunji recorded for him.

Shortly after, he sensed someone sitting next to him. He needn't to open his eyes. He recognized hi sfriend from the scent of his perfume. He carefully took off his earbuds, just in time to hear the other's question.

 

"What are you doing here?" Myungsoo asked.

 

"Just thinking. What about you?"

 

"Same thing."

 

"I heard what happened between you and Hoya. I didn't know you were that harsh." Sunggyu opened his eyes to observe his friend's reaction.

 

"So you're on his side. Myungsoo stated, slightly disappointed."

 

"I'm on neither sides. Just saying that he deserves a chance."

 

"Maybe. I'm still too confused to make a decision." he explained.

 

Sunggyu hummed in understanding and resumed starring at the clear blue sky. Silence engulfed them for a moment.

 

"What about you? What's on your mind? Eunji?" Myungsoo guessed.

 

"You can say so." the other replied dryly.

 

"What's going on with the two of you seriously?" Myungsoo's tone was demanding, but Sunggyu just shrugged. 

 

"Nothing, really."

 

"You know, if you acted like this a year ago, I would've thought that was the normal you. But after knowing you for a while, I can tell that there's something bothering you really badly. It's not just Eunji that you've been keeping a distance from lately, even us. You seem so listless. I don't know what you're hiding, but one sure thing is that it's ruining you."

 

"Ruining me?" it wasn't a question, but Sunggyu just found a word that perfectly described his current state.

 

Totally ruined.

 

"Since you're keep everything to yourself, I will give you this advice. Don't stay like this, do something and find a solution to your problem. And please sort things between you and Eunji."

 

'Do something? What would be the best thing to do?'

 

-

 

'I'm sorry. I shouldn't have backed at last moment, even when Butler Yoon told meet was an order.' 

'I hired you back then because you were known for not making mistakes. But I guess even the perfect TOP isn't perfect after all. As for butler Yoon, I think it's time to fire her. I can't bear her existence anymore. If it wasn't for her wrong alert, you could've finished Eunji too, just like you did to that Kim kid.' 

Sunggyu was sprawled on his bed replaying the recording of the conversation between Mrs. Kim and driver Choi for more than an hour.

 

'I worked in many hotels before, until Mr. Jung's hotel closed down.Then the chairwoman kindly offered me to work for her.' he remembered Butler Yoon's words when he met her at the hotel.

'Butler Yoon toldme it was an order.'

'As for butler Yoon, I think it's time to fire her. I can't bear her existence anymore. If it wasn't for her wrong alert, you could've finished Eunji too.'

 

"Why would she have done that? Why did she stop him?" he wandered.

 

But he wouldn't know the answer by a simple guess, so he made a phone call.

 

"Say Woohyun, did Mrs. Kim fire butler Yoon?" 

 

"Yes she did. It was on the day of the delivery. Why?" the other answered.

 

"I need to talk to her. Do you have her actual address or number at least?" 

 

"I don't think I have it but I can look for it. I'll send it to you."

 

Not fifteen minutes after they hang up, Woohyun sent him the woman's whereabouts.

He tried calling her number an endless amount of times but it was to no use, so hedecided to visit her house.

 

It was a rented room in a poor neighborhood and it was almost a miracle for him to find it.

The woman opened after the first three knocks, but as soon as she saw him, she tried to close the door. Fortunately, Sunggyu was fast and blocked it.

 

"Please, I needd to talk to you." he pleaded.

 

The woman let himin and offered him a chair to sit at.

 

"Why are you here?" she asked dryly.

 

"It's about what happened and Mr. Jnag's hotel. Do you remember?" he asked and the woman's expression darkened.

 

"Why are you asking about that?" 

 

"The boy that died that night, he was my brother." he saw her expression soften so he continued. "I heard that you were the one who stopped driver Choi from finishing Eunji. Why did you do it?" he asked softly."Weren't you supposed to help the chairwoman?" 

 

"I didn't know she wanted to kill someone. All that I was told to do was to set the storage room and surveillance room on fire." she replied fearfully, voice laced with regret.

"After I sent the guards away, I was about to proceed with the plan but then I saw Driver Choi hitting the boy. I couldn't stand watching him doing so, so I called him and told him that the chairwoman ordered him to retreat."

 

"You've witnessed everything that happened that day. Do you think you cangive an alibi when Mrs. Kim get arrested?" he looked at her hopefully.

 

"No. even if she gets arrested, which is probably impossible, I won't do that. She'd hunt me down if I utter a single word about it." she replied firmly, disappointing Sunggyu.

 

He stood updefeatedly. "Well, I can't force you. It's your life that is on the line in here. But with your help or without, I will make sure that that woman spend the rest of her life behind the bars." His expression was full of determination. "I'm sorry for disturbing you, I will be leaving now." he bowed respectfully.

 

"Be careful, if you really want to bring that evil witch down." he heard her say as he exited the room.

 

-

 

When Sunggyu reached his department building, he didn't expect to find Eunji waiting there. She was kicking the gravel, lost in her own world.

 

"Are you waiting for me?" he asked, startling her.

 

Usually, there would be a smile on her face in that situation, but this time, it was just a hesitant expression that Sunggyu wanted to erase forever and never see again.

 

"We need to talk." that was her answer, before she started walking and he knew that he should follow her.

 

They ended up in a nearby park, sitting on a bench, each one at the extreme side of it. The space between them signified how distant they became in that short span of time.

 

"What is that you wanted to speak about?" Sunggyu was the first to break the suffocating silence.

 

Eunji scoffed in disbelief. "You really don't know?" 

 

He just remained silent, looking at the opposite side.

 

"Do you have to be like this?" she demanded impatiently. 

 

"Like what?"he finally met her gaze, his expression as cold as ever.

 

"What's going on with you, seriously? I don't believe that you're just acting like this because I didn't tell you about Woohyun." 

 

"That just blew away the last straw of patience I had. I'm sick of being understanding, when all you do is lie to me."he replied harshly.

 

"I heard that you met my mother lately. What did she do to you? Did she threaten you or something?" 

 

"No she didn't." he answered.

 

'I was the one who threatened her instead.'

 

"If you brought me here to talk about that then I'm leaving." Sunggyu wanted to leave as fast as possible. But Eunji was fast to stop him by holding his hand.

 

"Why are you being like this really? This is not you." she said desperately shaking her head.

 

"Who knows? Maybe I changed. Maybe this is the new me." his throat constricted as he slid his hand out of hers. "Maybe I'm sick of being nice. And maybe I'm sick of you." he felt the words burning his tongue and heart as well.

 

'Maybe I love you too much to keep lying to you. Maybe I want you to hate me now so that things will be easier on you when you find out about everything.' he really wanted to say that, but kept it to himself.

 

"W-why? What is that made you change?" she asked hesitantly.

 

"What you ask. Isn't obvious? It's you." 

 

His reply felt like a striking bolt to Eunji's heart and his as well. But it was too late to go back.

He needed to finish it right there.

 

"Don't you see how toxic our relationship is?"

 

'It's beyond beautiful. Don't believe my lies.'

 

"Since I met you, nothing went right for me."

 

'You're the best thing that ever happened to me.'

 

"A misery after misery, I barely had a peaceful day."

 

'You made my life worth living.'

 

"I'm really tired of all of this. I want my life to go back to how it was before you. I want to be happy again. "

 

'I will never be happy without you in my life. I want you by my side forever.'

 

Sunggyu took a harsh inhale of breath after spitting those poisonous words. Every cell in his body was praying that she'd see the lie in his eyes, begging to be exposed and forgiven. But as contradictory as it was, he was hoping she won't see it and would believe his lies.

 

The wind blew as silent fell on them again.

 

Eunji was left speechless, trying to process what just happened and what she just heard. No matter how much she tried to understand them they felt too unrealistic to be true.

 

"Why do I not believe you? Why only I can hear is your lying voice?" her voice cracked at the end.

 

"What makes you think that you know me that much to say so?" he coldly demanded.

 

'Why are you so good at reading me?'

 

"S-so, d-didy-you really mean w-what you just s-said?" Eunji's voice was weaker than ever.

 

"Every world of it." Sunggyu replied, looking directly at her. 

 

It was breaking him apart and he was sure it had the same effect on Eunji, he knew that was the right thing to do in his case.

 

"I can't be with you anymore. I'm sorry it had to end like this. I hope you find someone who could handle the kind of life you have better than me."Sunggyu added. 

 

Talking became hard and he had to leave before his real feelings takes over the one he faked. And most importantly, he didn't want to witness the result of his heartless words. He didn't want to witness the sight of her breaking down.

 

When he walked past her, he had to suppress the urge to take her in his arms and comfort her. 

Few steps away, Eunji's voice calling him stopped him on his track. But he didn't dare to turn back, not when his tears were falling silently and not when his self control was on the verge of crumbling. So he just titled his head to the side, showing her that he was listening.

 

"You're really a coward. I really regret falling for you." Eunji yelled despite her aching heart and burning eyes.

 

"I know." he replied with a constricted voice. 

 

"Goodbye, Jung Eunji." 

 

Sunggyu didn't turn for once, and with every step he took, Eunji felt her heart breaking a little. By the time he was out of sight, she was already on the ground crying her heart out and hitting her chest in attempt to ease the pain that was only growing.

Sunggyu was no better. He kept walking fast although his numb body blurred eyes. One thought ringing through his mind.

 

'It's better this way.'

 

But he knew that he was just lying to himself.

 


 

This was my shortest and most rushed update ever. The breakup scene didn't turn out as I wanted it to be, but hey! this is just the beggining of angst, I still have more chances to make you go emotional and cry (I'm not that evil. I don't wanna make you cry, seriously.)

Anyways, I hope you liked this chapter :) 

thank you for commenting, and if you have any suggestion or remarks, feel free to tell me :D

Have a good day/ night everyone ^____^ I love y'all :****