AS GOOD AS IT GETS

Masquerade of the Fallen Angels

The two bodyguards threw the unconscious body on the couch in the room then left closing the bedroom’s door behind them.
When Sunggyu was sure he was alone, he opened his eyes slowly, still dizzy from the blows he received earlier. He tried sitting, his abdomen hurting him while his lower lip was bleeding. His ears perked when he heard Eunji’s voice coming from the living room.

 

“What did you do to him?”

 

What is she doing? That idiot!' he stood up with difficulty but succeeded in taking few steps closer to the door. He was about to go out and interrupt their talk when he heard her question.

 

“What did you tell him exactly?”

 

He frowned, confused by the whole conversation. His frown deepened when the conversation took another turn.

 

“Let’s say that we became allies. What will happen after?”

 

Allies? For what?’ he wondered, but not for too long, the answer came right after.

 

“Let’s see… We can bring Kim Misook and the Empire groups down.”

 

Sunggyu was completely clueless at that point. The way Eunji was talking about getting her mother in jail as if it was the most natural thing made hundreds of questions pop in his head.

 

“Of course you won’t. Revenge is never satisfying.”

 

Revenging what?’ sunggyu wondered.



The way Hoya was speaking about his revenge, about his family and brother and desperation and everything that happened to him rang a few bells in Sunggyu’s mind.

Then it hit him. He knew a story that fitted perfectly with this one, Myungsoo’s story. It was all like puzzle pieces that fitted perfectly together.



‘My mother decided to burn the house to ashes, with us inside of it.’

 

‘she ends up burning herself inside that house.’

 

‘I prefer the time when I used to think he was dead. Back then I hated him less.’

 

‘Revenge won’t bring back my parents, nor redeem for all the years I spent away from my brother, and surely won’t make him forgive me.’

 

‘Everything related to him disappeared… as if he never existed.’

 

‘Hoya’s identity is fake, and he’s not Lee Sooman’s son. He used to go by the name Lee Howon at some point.’ Sunggyu’s eyes widened as the realization.



“No way…”



An image of Myungsoo’s room came back to his memory. A very old kid’s drawing was framed and hang on the wall.

 

‘I drew that few days before my mother’s suicide, a family portrait, and gifted it to my brother because he was very sad. After he left, I found it in his coat’s pocket.’ Myungsoo explained to him one day when he asked him about it.

 

Myungsoo drew his father in the sky, between the clouds, while the rest of the family were standing in front of a house. Next to each figure, a name was written, making it easier for anyone to identify the family members. On top of a figure with thick dark eyebrows, the name ‘Kim Howon’ was clumsily written with purple crayon.

 

“I know your biggest weakness.” Hoya’s voice brought him back to reality.

 

Her biggest weakness?! Even I don’t know what’s that. And is he threatening her right now?’

 

Sunggyu got sick of just listening and went out of the room. But the tension between the two in the living room was too think for them to notice his presence.
He hated the fearful look in Eunji’s eyes. And it made him wonder what is this weakness Hoya was talking about.

 

No one is allowed to threaten her! You’re messing with the wrong person, Kim Howon!’ he fisted his hands in anger.

 

“And I know yours too, Kim Howon.” He finally said, praying for his guess to be right.


His face changed to a smirk when he saw the drastic change in the said guy’s expression.

 

“Kim Myungsoo.” Sunggyu continued confidently.

 

Seeing the way Hoya stiffened and his eyes slightly widened, he knew he hit the right spot.
Eunji was surprised as well, frowning in confusion.

 

“W-what are you talking about?” the elder stuttered.

 

“You heard me. Now that you don’t have anything else to threaten us with, we’ll leave. And I hope I won’t see you again around us. Else, you know what I can do.” He spat at him, before taking Eunji’s hand and left him growling in anger.


Sunggyu was in a bad state, mading Eunji worry, especially the dried blood covering most of his lower lip.

 

“Are you okay?” he studied her from head to toe, making sure those muscled men didn't touch her.

 

“I should be the one asking you that.” She replied, her fingertip brushing the abused area, Sunggyu flinching at the contact.

 

“We should get this disinfected. Did he hurt you anywhere else?” her eyes were full of concern.

 

“Nothing I can’t handle. Let’s just get back.”

 

 

 


They sat on Sunggyu’s bed, Eunji treating his injury. Every time her fingertip, covered with the ointment, came in contact with the abused skin, Sunggyu would back away.

 

“Next time you move and I’ll leave it like that.” She warned him.

 

Sunggyu was teasing her, secretly enjoying their close proximity.

 

“How did you know about Hoya’s real identity though? I don’t think it was just a lucky guess.” she questioned.

 

“Myungsoo told me before about his childhood and brother. And it uncannily fitted with Hoya’s words earlier. Plus, I saw his name on a drawing Myungsoo’s keeping in his room.” He explained.

 

“Who thought that Myungsoo’s brother would be Hoya. I feel bad for him.”

 

“I just hope that he won’t do anything bad. Myungsoo already hates him. If he ends up screwing up more, I doubt he’ll ever forgive him.” He said, feeling extremely bad for his friend. “But I was really badass back then.” He said proudly, remembering Hoya’s expression.

 

“If you’re going to end up with an injury every time you act badass then don’t.” she warned him in a not very pleased tone.

 

“Said the one who was shot last time. I only ended up with a split lip, nothing much compared to you.” He replied, getting a little bit worked up at the memory.

 

“You only ended up with a split lip this time.” She emphasized. “next time it can be worse. If there is a next time.” She deadpanned.

 

“Well, he has a thick skull, but I hope he won’t bother us again.”

 

“Then don’t get involved with him again. Leave him to me.”

 

Her words angered Sunggyu so much, the way she said it so coldly. When her hand reached again to apply more ointment on his lip, he grabbed it midair, his eyes flaming up.

 

“Are you serious? Or do you really expect me to back down when someone like him is going around threatening you, and act as if it’s nothing?” his grip on her wrist tightened, blocking all the blood circulation.


“I told you it’s no big deal. No need for you to overreact or over worry. I’m used to this.” She tried prying her hand from his hold, but it only tightened more.

 

“No big deal?! Are you serious?! Only god know how dangerous Hoya can be! I don't think I can deal with an incident similar to the last time. Is your life that unworthy you keep risking it? Huh! What is that you trying to do that put you in too much risk?” he demanded, half shouting.

 

“Sunggyu let go.” She gritted. He finally freed her hand.

 

Sunggyu snapped and looked at her wrest, noticing the red finger marks. If I wasn’t for her analgesia, Eunji would’ve been in a lot of pain, he though. He looked at her apologetically, while she busied with herself with arranging the first-aid kit.

 

“Does it have to do with bringing your mother down?” his tone was much more calmer this time.

 

Eunji’s eyes widened and she almost dropped the box on the floor.

 

“H-how much d-did you hear?” she gave him a dreadful look.

 

‘I heard everything.’

 

“Not all of it, but enough. Don’t you think it’s time to tell me? Don’t I deserve to know the truth?” he pleaded.

 

Eunji didn’t know what to do. She knew she’ll have to tell him eventually, but not this early. If she doesn’t tell him, he’ll get really mad and she could ruin their relationship.

 

“It’s a long story. What about you go to sleep now, and tomorrow, or actually later today, I’ll tell you?” she tried to convince him.

 

“You won’t start avoiding me or something, right?” he asked, unconvinced by her reply.

 

“No, I promise I’ll answer all your questions. But after getting a good amount of sleep. It’s almost sunrise.”

 

Sunggyu didn't seem to have any other choice. He was in pain and they were both tired. He doubt he could take in any other information at the moment.

 

“Okay then, I’ve been waiting for too long. Few extra hours won’t hurt.” he agreed.

 

“Good then, good night Sunggyu.” She tiptoed and dropped a kiss on his cheek, blushing at her move. “Sleep well.”

 

 


Eunji sat on her bed, removing her accessories, hundreds of thoughts running through her head.
A heavy sight escaped her lips as she removed the last one. She didn’t like how Sunggyu was getting involved little by little in that kind of society, the one she had to endure since she was born. It was dangerous for sure, and what happened was just the beginning for him.


When she was about to stand up, she realized that she never took off his jacket. It felt as if she was still in his embrace, his scent mixed with manly perfume invading her nostrils.

 

Sunggyu’s scent.’ A smile unconsciously made its way to her lips.

 

The way his scent was enough to make her feel at ease and forget her concerns for the moment being made her rethink about how Hoya referred to Sunggyu as her biggest weakness.

 

‘Only because he makes me stronger.’

 

 

 


“You look awful. You didn’t have enough sleep?” that was the first thing Eunji said when she saw Sunggyu entering the balcony. His dark circles were darker and his face looked paler than usual.

 

“Good morning to you too.” He replied sarcastically, sitting across her. “I was too excited for today’s talk I barely had any sleep.” The sarcasm was still there, but he only used it to avoid saying the truth.

 

In fact, just when his head hit the pillow, he drowned into deep sleep, but soon enough, his usual nightmare visited him. He could’ve gone back to sleep after, but the pain in his abdomen from the punch he received earlier, kept him from doing so, even after he took a painkiller. The pain reduced but he ended up with a throbbing head and a bad mood.

 

“Let’s eat first. It's past lunch time, but I thought a coffee is a must after last night. Do you want anything else?” she questioned.

 

Sunggyu looked at the breakfast on round table standing between them. He surprisingly didn't feel hungry yet and the sight of food was suddenly annoying.

 

“I don’t feel like eating. You go on and have your late breakfast. I’ll wait for you.” His answer made her frown.

 

“Sunggyu seriously, are you okay? You look sick.” She noted, extremely worried by his acts and look.

 

“I’m fine, just a bad mood.” He shrugged her off.

 

Eunji automatically lost her appetite at Sunggyu’s behavior.

 

“Let’s have a walk. I’ll show you around.”

 

Sunggyu wasn’t a very big fan of the idea of walking in that state, but maybe fresh air will help ease his headache.

They exited the lobby by the backdoor and walked past the golf field, the covered pools, the kids’ playgrounds and the basketball and soccer fields until they reached another building.
Inside, it was more crowded than the outside, people enjoying different types of games, from bowling, to table tennis, to arcade games.


Eunji continued her way to the second floor, where Sunggyu noticed the sign saying ‘Shooting club’.

 

“Oh Eunji, long time no seen. Time to release a little bit of stress?” a middle-aged man welcomed them.

 

“Hi coach. Just checking my shooting skills.” She answered with a cold tone.

 

The man nodded and mentioned to one of the empty cabinets.

 

“Highest difficulty as usual?” he questioned, a hint of anticipation in his voice.

 

Eunji nodded and went inside of it, after sending Sunggyu a nervous look. The latter stood next to the man watching her as she put on a red casket and picking a gun. A loud buzzing signaled the beginning of the demonstration.

 

“It’s show time.” The man crossed his hands, a smirk decorating his face.

 

Sunggyu looked at him questionably before he heard the first shot. He turned to Eunji’s direction. She was on a shooting position, focused on the targets on the other side of the large room.
The human like figures were moving left and right, back and forth, while the only sound echoing in the room was the loud sound of the shots she was sending to their directions.


In the span of few seconds, the total of ten figures were shot down either straight to the heart or between their eyes. Eunji didn’t miss a single one.

 

“BRAVO!!!” the coach clapping made Sunggyu break from his awe.
“That’s what I call a professional shooter! You broke your own record.” The man gave her two thumbs up, her cold expression didn't change and she just turned to look to Sunggyu. The look on his face was something she expected.

 

‘A professional shooter.’ He repeated the coach’s words, his eyes locking with hers.

 

 


No one dared to talk as they exited the building. They were walking deeper in the hotel’s huge garden. The green space was very beautiful, with few lakes connected by a river.

 

“Can we talk now?” Sunggyu finally finished preparing himself mentally and gathered his courage to start talking.

 

“Yeah, go on, ask me wherever you want.” She replied, not really ready for this kind of talk, but a promise is a promise.

 

“Where did you learn how to shoot?” she was glad he started by an easy question.

 

“When I was living with my grandfather. He taught me how to shoot, alongside with martial arts and some other fighting skills.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I asked him to. He wasn’t very fond of the idea, but I was his only grandchild so he taught me everything he knew.”

 

“And why did you want to learn it? You don’t seem very interested by it.”

 

His words had a point, Eunji didn't seem very enthusiasted by the idea of kicking someone's nor shooting, he saw it in her eyes earlier. It was as if he was seeing the old cold Eunji in there.

 

“After the doctors diagnosed me with psychological analgesia, I stopped feeling human. At some point, I just wanted to drain my body and see if it will start aching or not. When I saw how his apprentices were always suffering and tired, I wanted to be harshly trained too. It was a way to make use of my disorder in some way.” She explained.

 

“Have you ever used your shooting skills... for real?” he tried being cautious with his choice of words.

 

Eunji stiffened understanding what he was implying. She contemplated lying to him, but then she decided to speak the truth.

 

“I did. But I never hurt someone so badly. I only used it too defense myself.”

 

Sunggyu just hummed, analysing her words. What could've 'badly' mean by her standars? And what did she mean by 'defense myself'? But then he decided to not overthink it.

 

“What did Hoya mean yesterday mean by bringing down your mother?” he questioned after a long pause.

 

Eunji stopped walking, taking a deep breath.

 

“Let’s sit there.” She pointed to a little bridge passing over a the river.

 

Sunggyu just followed, understanding how big this matter could be. They sat on the edge with their feet dangling over the surface of the water.

He thought that it was a very romantic place if it wasn’t for the talk they were having.

 

“Yesterday’s guest’s, you said they were all cold-blooded criminals and dangerous people. Do you think my mother is any better? She’s the worst of them all.” She started talking, Sunggyu’s attention was fully on her.
“I mean what do you expect from a woman who wants her daughter dead?” she scoffed. “Doing drugs, money embezzlement, human trafficking, threatening people who represents a threat to her or the company, killing them… I can spend day reciting the bad deeds she’s been doing in the last seventeen years. Things you could never imagine how awful they are.” The words got stuck in , feeling pure disgust.

 

Sunggyu saw the way she was affected by her own words and intertwined their hands, comforting her. She squeezed it and continued talking.

 

“It was my grandfather’s death wish… ‘Stop Misook’, he said. So, my father took it over himself and started gathering all the possible information as a proof of her wrongdoings, with the help of few others. I joined them two years ago, alongside with Sungjong.”

 

Sunggyu didn’t like what he was hearing. It felt like a top-secret information, and he wasn’t supposed to know it. But he couldn't stand in the dark anymore nd Eunji was finally speaking about it.

 

“Does it have anything with you being shot that day?”

 

Eunji didn’t like the harsh tone he used to ask that question, nor the way his hand was gripping so hardly on hers. She knew he was angry. He was just trying to mask it.

 

“She’s been doing a lot of human trafficking lately. Sending kids to other countries. My father’s men failed in stopping one of the trucks so I had to step in so we could succeed in stopping the second one. Me being shot was the result of a little mistake.”

 

'A little mistake.' Sunggyu fisted his other hand, his nails diggings so hardly in his palm. But he didn't care about it all, he was fuming with anger.

 

“How do you know about her moves? I mean it’s not something you can hear people talking about too casually.” he managed to controle himself and ask another question.

 

“I have an insider who tells me about all of her moves. I’m the only one that can get that information.” She explained

 

“Does Dongwoo know about what you’re doing?”

 

“yes he does. He doesn’t like it though. He thinks it’s too dangerous.”

 

“Well yes, it is. At least someone with a good reasoning!” he snapped. “What do you think you are? A detective? A superhero? You’re only seventeen for god’s sake!” he finally got those words out of his chest. his face was red with anger.

 

“Well they need in me in this! Only I can stop her! She’s very evil and she needs to be put in jail. The more we wait the more people will get hurt. I don’t think I can live with that kind guilt.” she yelled back.

 

“What guilt?! You’re not the one who did all of this!” Sunggyu replied in disbelief.


“But I know that it’s happening! Do you want me to stay still when hundreds of innocent kids are sent away from their families, used for ion and drug dealing and only god know what? I lost count of how many families she ruined so far!” she stood up from her previous position. “I still want to be a human being.”

 

Sunggyu stood up as well.

 

“No one asked you to do so, but what she’s doing is not your fault, it’s hers.” his voice softened.

 

“IT IS MY FAULT.” She cied, her eyes filled with tears. It starteled him.
“My mother wasn’t a mean person. When she killed her parents, it was all a self-defense act. But if you ask anyone who knew her after, they'd tell you the same thing, that she was always kind, caring and bright. She was the defenition of a nice woman and supportive wife. Even when she married my father, she was still the same. But it all changed when she got pregnant with me. It wasn't because of pregnancy or mood swings, she just... changed. She became the way she is now. It was the reason my parents divorced. How can you stil say it's not my fault? It's all because of me.”

 

Eunji choked a few times on her words, tears falling down her cheeks and Sunggyu felt his heart breaking at the sight.

She was blaming herself for things she had nothing to do with. It didn't make sense for him. But again, after growing in such circumstances, it was just normal for her to get this kind of ideas and thoughts. She just needed someone to erase them from her mind and Sunggyu was the one.

 

“No it’s not your fault. It never was and it will never be. You did nothing wrong to feel guilty about.” he kept repeating those words while hagging her and carressing her back in a soothing manner for a few minutes, until she calmed down and stopped crying.

 

“I didn't know you were a crybaby. What an ugly sight!” he , while whiping her tears away with the sleeve of his shirt. His words succussfuly making her chuckle.

 

“But you like this ugly crybaby.” she replied, seemingly much more composd than earlier.

 

“Only because it's you.” his smile matched so much with the bright sunlight. “Better?”

 

She nodded a few times, her lips curving upwards at the amount of care he was washing her with.

 

“Let's go then.” he took her hand and they continued walking through the beautiful garden for few other minutes.

 

Later when they started feeling tired, they chose a spot to sit at, between a few trees and flower bushes. A talk led to another and they regained their peace, trying to forget, or actually to ignore all the serious matters they've been facing and talked about so far. Sunggyu decided to keep it for another day. Eunji wasn't used to be overflown with emotions and he saw how a few tears could drain her, he didn't want to push her too much.

Maybe because of his lack of sleep or maybe because the weather was warm and the area around them was so peaceful, Sunggyu found himself laying on the grass and dozing off right away.

Eunji didn't realise it at first, she too enjoying the calmness of the nature, but then she heard slight snores and she turned to her right to find him spreaded in the from of a star on the grass.

 

“Cute.”She chuckled at the sight.

 

Now Eunji wasn't really fond of physical contact, let alone initialising it. So when she leant back and laid her head on Sunggyu's hand, using it as a pillow was definetly a first. But it felt so natural for her, as if she was meant to be there, and she was enjoying it.

Their faces were really close, their breaths mixing. His hair was a little bit deshieveled, his long eyelashes meeting with his cheeks, his lips parted a little bit. His fair complexe was in contrast with his dark locks and navy shirt. The the sunset glow in the background were addining to the beautiful scenery in front of her.

 

'Mine.' she mouthed.

 

It was new for her, all the feelings he made her experience since they met. He was a warm person and he warmed her heart, something she never thought was possible in the first place.
She was fascinated how he made her forget all what matters in the world and made her mind and heart at ease. He made the imposible possible.


The amount of care, kindness, forgiveness, tenderness and love reflecting in his eyes was too overwhelming. For once in her seventeen years alive, she was willing to risk everything and get involved in a romantic relationship. She knew it was selfish but she was ready to do anything to protect him.

 

“Done staring?” the hoarse voise startled her.

 

Sunggyu's eyes opened and a smile was adorning his dry lips.

 

“Am I that handsome?” he asked in a teasing manner.

 

Eunji's face changed to a bright shade of pink. She tried to get away from his hold but a hand on her back stopped her from doing so.

 

“I- I was thinking.” she stuttered, averting her eyes from his.

 

“About what?” he raised an eyebrow.

 

“Nothing really, I just was wodering when... when did you start liking me?” her face became redder after she asked that question.

 

“Uhmmm, let's see...” he seemed as if he was into deep thought. “When I first saw you singing? That day in Dongwoo's apartememnt. They say there's a thin line between hate and love. I think that's what happeed that moment, I felt like all the hate I had for you just dissapeared.”

 

“So you liked my voice not me?!” she pouted, obviously dissapointed by his answer.

 

“No, it wasn't just your voice. You can say I saw what was beyond that. Other students complained about how your singing never made them feel a thing, while for me, it made my heart race uncontrolablly. Unlike them, I sensed the desperate need for love burried in that cold voice and those dark eyes. I felt it as if it was my own pain.”

 

His answer gained him a wide grin with teary eyes.

 

“I didn't say this to make you cry.” his voice was laced with worry.

 

Even though he was the one who broke the curse, he decided he didn't like seeing Eunji crying even if they were happy tears. “I told yoy how ug-” his words was cut off by a soft pair of lips on his.

 

She was doing it again, being unpredictable. He was startled at first but quickly recovered from his shock and kissed back. It was sweet and they were both smiling, but the abnormal temprature of Sunggyu's lips concerned Eunji so she was the first to break the kiss.

She put her hand on his forehead only to find him burning with fever.

 

“? You're burning!” She sat bringing him up with her. “Come on, we need to get you back in.”

 

“I'm fine, really.” he ressured her, although he felt unbearably dizzy when he stood up.

 

“No you're not and I'm calling the doctor.”

 

She dragged him back to the lobby, halfly supportuing his body.

Sunggyu wasn't sure if he had the strength to go up to his room, wanting to drop dead at the moment, but as if fate was playing him, they had to meet the chairwoman and Madam Jo at there. At instinct, he withdrew his hand from around Eunji's shoulders, all his senses painfully coming to life again.

 

“Eunji, Sunggyu, I see you're still here. I thought you left with Dongwoo earlier.” Mrs. Kim started.

 

“We're leaving later, maybe tomorrow morning.” Eunji replied.

 

“Whatever you like darling.” she said in not-the-least-interested tone. “We're leaving now, continue whatever you were doing.” she scanned them from head to toe before resuming walking.

 

Sunggyu didn't give her any attention, instead, he was more focused on the creepy lady next to her, smirking at him and eyeing Eunji evilly. He hated that look so much, it made him restless. He was more than relieved when they walked away.

 

 

“You seem to like the boy.” Madam Jo remarked when they were on their ride back to the mansion. She was sitting next to the chairwoman while assistant Choi was on the driver seat.

 

“Not like him, but he's a good distraction for her. Plus, it doesn't look serious.” Mrs. Kim was still unintereted by the matter, until Madam Jo spoke again.

 

“Then wait to see this.”

 

She handede her a tablet. Mrs. Kim watched the video playing on it with confusion. It was the one of Sunggyu's and Eunji's acting test.

Her expression didn't change much even during the last seconds but an amused smirk appeared on her face. She then started going through the dozens of pictures of the couple together, to confirm her doubt.

 

“So she do love him.” an evil grin appeared on her face. “this is interesting.”

 

“You better not get the boy involved.” the woman warned her.

 

“And why is that?” Mrs. Kim demanded in annoyance.

 

“Forgot what I told you last time? He's lethal, more than her.”

 

“Why is every kid lethal? First that baby seventeen years ago, then Eunji and now him?” the chairwoman rolled her eyes.

 

“What if I tell you he's the same baby I warned you about seventeen years ago?”

 

“What do you know?” Misook's expression changed right away, her face's colour darkned and her hands fisted.

 

“I touched him and they're definetly the same person, his aura is even stronger than before. He can crash you and everything you worked for so far.” her words triggered all the anger in the woman next to her.

 

“I told you to never say those words again! I will never go down! I failed last time, but I will definetly get rid of him this time.” she said between gritted teeth.

 

“You can't. Every time you played your dirty games against fate, it backfired at you. You can't controle it anymore. That baby coming back now is only the beginning. Be ready.”

 

“We'll see about this.”

 

“Do whatever you want.” the fortuneteller just rolled her eyes at the woman stuborness.

 

Driver Choi on the other hand just smirked, understanding all of the talk.

 

Madam Jo wasn't the best in the field for nothing. She inherited her spiritual powers from her mother and since young age, she was able to tell almost everything about anyone from a simple touch. Of course many didn't believe her, but Kim Misook did, and added her to her empire as a secret weapon. She never questioned a thing the woman said and it helped her a lot in the business. Her evergrowing wealth is the biggest proof. After all she was the one who made the Empire Groups grow that big. And the chairwoman wasn't willing to lose everything because of a teenager.

 

 

 

 


“Exhaution and stress, he needs to rest and eat well. I gave him a shot to reduce his fever. It'll make him sleep for few hours, which he needs.” the doctor said after coming out from Sunggyu's room. It wasn't a big thing but it worried Eunji, so for two consecutive hours, she didn't leave his side and kept checking on his temprature every now and then.

 

It was already night and they had school the next day but she won't be letting him leave in that condition yet. She blamed herself for him falling sick.

She was sitting on the couch in his bedroom doing nothing in particular when she heard the little whimpers.

She rushed to his side to find him shifting in his sleep. She panicked when she saw the bundles of sweat covering his forehead and his face as cold as ice when he was just fine minutes ago.

 

“Min-... gyu... don't...” Sunggyu was mumbling, his eyebrows frown in the middle.

 

'Is he having a nightmare?' she wondered.

 

She couldn't take the sight of him struggling in his sleep because of a nightmare, after all she knew how it felt like. So she took his hand in hers and kept caressing his cheek, saying soothing words and hoping for her small acts to chase the nightmares away.
Fortunatelly, the shifting stopped and the frown dissapeared, the grip on her hand tightening. But then she saw it, a tear sliding from the side of his closed left eye.

She leaned closer and dropped a feather kiss on his closed eyelid, wishing it could replace all the bad dreams by sweet one. She dropped another kiss on his fown and it dissapeared right away.

The third kiss on his forehead ended with Sunggyu waking up startled. His eyes were glassy, the pain in them evident more then ever.

Eunji didn't say anything, she just used her thumb to wipe away the stray tear that fell earlier, but when Sunggyu realised that he was crying, he backed away from her touch, before getting off the bed.

 

“Sung-”

 

“Don't follow me. I just want to be alone.” he said in a harsh tone before exiting the room.

 

Eunji sighted defeatedly. He was still refusing to show her that side of him. That vulnerable side. He didn't want her to see his ugly scars, yet.

 

She tried to be understanding and patient as much as he was with her. So she didn't follow him at first and stayed in her room. But fifteen minutes later, she went searching for him. Hopefully, she needn't to search for long because one of the receptionist saw him heading to the pool.

She didn't recognise him at first because of the dark, but the figure sitting at the edge of the pool was definetly him.

 

“Aren't you afraid of the dark?” she asked teasingly, turning on the lights. But her expression darkned the moment she saw him wiping his cheeks.

 

'He's been crying all this time?' she cursed her self for not coming earlier.

 

She sat next to him, not bothering to roll her jeans up and letting them soak in the water, just like him.

 

“I told you not to follow me.” his voice was cracking so his tone didn't come as dry as he wanted it to be.

 

“Well don't expect me to stay in when you left like that.”

 

Silence fell on them after she said that, the only sound was Sunggyu's sniffling. She could see how red his eyes were even though he kept looking at the other side.

Eunji understood everything. His nightmare earlier was about his brother and that explaines why he was sitting there, at the edge of the pool.
She knew if she gave him time he would speak eventually, and she was right, because after few minutes, he started speaking.


"Unlike you, I went a lot to playgrounds whene I was little, but I refused to play with other kids, because Mingyu couldn't play. At some point, I stopped going because seeing the hurt look in his eyes, when observing other kids running and jumping aroud, hurt me as well." he smiled bitterly at the memory. Eunji put her hand on his shoulder, encouraging him to continue.

 

"He was a good swimmer. So I used to take him to the pool a lot and he eventually tought me how to swin. But at some point he had to stop doing that as well because his heart couldn't take it any longer. Whenever he had a seizure and had to stay at the hospital, I'll stop going to school and stay by his side, because deep inside I knew that any day could be the last. But in the end, the illness wasn't the one that took him away from me." Sunggyu lowered his head, taking a harsh breath.

 

“That day, he saved someone. Mingyu, the kid who couldn't even take care of himself, died saving an innocent soul, a kid" a tear already found its way down his cheek, but nevertheless he continuied talking.

 

"If you ask anyone else, they'd say he died in a fire, because of the smoke. But that was never the case. Minggyu died even before the explosion took place. I was there. I don't know what happened, but the image of him soaked in both water and blood would never leave my mind and it's my worst nightmare. I just can't understand, why would someone kill him? How could they..." Sunggyu's voice cracked and it tore Eunji's heart apart.

 

This time, she was the one initiating the hug, giving him the comfort that he needed, even without using words. And he didn't hesitate to wrap his hands around her, his face hanging low, his silent tears damping her shoulder.

 

'If you knew the truth, would you be hugging me back now?' she wondered, guilt eating her insides.

Sunggyu was still oblivious of what really happened that day and it only made her feel worse than ever. She was turtoring the one she loved by lying to him and hiding the truth.

 


'I'm sorry for being selfish, Sunggyu. I'm so sorry.'

 

 


 

 

6k Words.... Sorry for the late update, I hope I answered a few of your questions and this chapter wasn't completely useless. 

I caught a cold and it coincide it with my periode ( double the struggle ugh), I just couldn't have any good ideas with the headache, hopefully I got better and I was able to finish this chapter :)

Tell me what you think of this update ( please don't be silent readers) in the comment section 👇👇

As you can see, when a mystery is revealed, a new one appears ;) what do you think Madam Jo knows? 

I don't know about next chapter, I didn't start writing it andoes my tests are next week and I have a programming project to start and finish in the mean time, wish me luck >.< love you guys :****