IN THE SUMMER

Masquerade of the Fallen Angels


Eunji entered the pass code to the 4th basement office. The light shined green and the door clicked open. She entered the large dark room, the only lights in the room coming from the monitors’ screens.

 

“Taeil! Taeil!!” she called.

 

A tiny guy with thick round spectacles rose from behind a computer.

 

“Eunji! What are you doing here? I thought you’re out of duty.” He said, rubbing his sleepy eyes.

 

“I needed to talk to you.” She sat on one of the chairs.

 

“About yesterdays’ files?” he guessed, she hummed.

 

“Where did you get them? Sungjong said it was an anonymous sender, I don’t believe him.”

 

“It’s true. Even the chairman didn’t know who sent them, the sender didn’t ask for anything in return. He left us a USB in one of the public lockers and Sungjong went to bring it over. But I did my researches.”

 

“And you found out his identity?”

 

“Come over.”

 

She sat next to him as his fingers started tapping on the keyboard.

 

“I tracked his IP address and found out the location: her hometown. The sender is, and with no doubt, an investigator who was part of the investigator team when the crime took place. Just one person matched with the description.” He showed her man on the screen. “He’s a retired detective, and still lives there.”

 

“I wanna meet him. I need to hear it from him.” She said determinably.

 

“No, that’s too risky. You’re already being watched 24/7.”

 

“I thought you said I’m no more watched?!”

 

“Not by her. There’s another rat who’s been keeping an eye on you.” She raised an eyebrow in confusion. “Lee Hoya.” He continued, showing her few pictures on the screen of men following her around.

 

“And what does he want too?” she huffed in annoyance. “This guy is too suspicious; I think he knows about our moves.” She noted.

 

“He does, but I don’t know what his actual intentions are. I kept searching him up and I found out more about him.” He turned to her. “Before Lee Sooman brought him to his house, he used to be a delivery boy for a drug dealing gang. Their leader told me that he joined them when he was thirteen, no one actually knew his origins and even his name was fake. Lee Howon, that’s what he said his name was.” He continued.

 

“ Why would Lee Sooman take in someone like him when he’s not even his son? This is so confusing!”

 

“Tell me about it.” He paused a little.” But he’s not the only one you should watch out for. That Sunggyu guy…” he stopped again.

 

“What about him?” she asked, sensing something bad in his hesitation.

 

“You know whose son he is.”

 

“He’s not like his father, not the least.” She said firmly.

 

“There’s one more thing about him….” He averted his eyes, not really wanting to talk.

“Just spill the beans already.” She was running out of patience.

 

“It’s about something that happened ten years ago…” he started.

 

 

By the time he finished talking, Eunji was tensing up and her mind was completely elsewhere. Taeil regretted telling her right away.

 

“You know, it may have nothing to do with that incident, but I just wanted to tell you.” He tried to lessen the shock, she just nodded.

 

“I’m leaving. Keep looking for more evidences and try to arrange a meeting for me with that detective.” Then she left in the speed of light.

 

‘This is so messed up! Fate is so cruel for her.’ He thought, looking at one of the pictures on the screen. It was mainly focused on the man following her, but at the side, Eunji was smiling brightly with Sunggyu.

 

 

 

 

Test came and went by quickly to students’ relief, making them welcome the summer vacation with a light heart.

“What about we have real fun tonight?” Sunggyu suggested when they were leaving the school.

 

“We’re always having fun, what’s new?” Sungyeol asked innocently.

 

“I’m speaking about another kind of fun.” Sunggyu had a smirk on his face.

 

“What is it?” questioned Krystal, she too still not catching up.

 

“You’ll see. Let’s meet at eight at Gangnam, and dress up nicely. No scratch that, dress up widely.” He winked. Eunji understood his intention and smirked too.

He told her few times about his ‘little adventures’ back in the US, she wanted to experience that too.


Sunggyu checked himself one last time in the mirror. He was wearing his favorite ripped jeans, a black and red shirt half tugged in his jeans, showing off his chrome hearts belt, Chrome hearts' earrings, few other accessories and black boots. His hear was styled up and he put a little bit of foundation and eyeliner, ready for the night.

 

He was the first to reach their meeting place, Eunji was next. And as expected, she was breathtaking as always. She was wearing black leather pants, a red shirt with a sleeveless black leather jacket and red boots. Her hair was floating freely and her makeup was darker than usual.

 

“You look…uhm… beautiful.” He said bashfully, hand caressing his nape.

 

“Are you guys wearing a couple outfits? Black and red?” Krystal didn’t bother to greet and just blurted out at them.

 

“Not you again!!” Sunggyu glared at her.

 

“Sorrrrry!” she dragged her apology, obviously not meaning it.

 

The rest came shortly after. Myungsoo was sporting an all black outfit with few accessories, Sungyeol mixing few colors but still looking good. As for Bora and Krystal both were wearing mini shining dresses and heels, with a dark makeup.

 

“Now that we look like a real gang, we can go.” Sunggyu started leading them.

 

They reached one of Gangnam’s most known night clubs.

 

“Act confidently.” He noted when he saw Krystal and Sungyeol widen their eyes.

 

He approached one of the guards and spoke with him for a few seconds. They were getting nervous, until they saw the man smiling and Sunggyu calling them.

They followed him and the guard let them in without any objection, ignoring the whole line waiting.

 

“Don’t give me that look, I’ve been here before. I came with Hakyeon few times.” He explained when he sensed their eyes looking at him questionably.

 

They went down the stairs, the booming sound of music getting louder with every step. People inside the nightclub were all wearing flashing clothes, drinking and dancing widely.

 

Sungyeol, Myungsoo, Bora and Krystal slowly emerged in the fool and started dancing, having fun.

 

Sunggyu missed being wild, his body was itching to be freed. But he didn’t want to leave Eunji alone, she was still having a problem adjusting to the place. In fact, he brought them there that night because of her. Lately, she’s been distant from them and barely talked, always over thinking. So he thought, that maybe letting go for a night could make her forget whatever was on her mind.

 

“Are you okay?!” he said near her ear, to make her hear. She nodded and smiled.

 

“Do you wanna dance?” he asked again. She looked at him hesitantly, and then looked at the people around her.

 

Sunggyu understood that she was still being cautious.

 

“What about you free yourself for tonight, let the music take over!” she was about to object but she was already dragged to the middle of the dancing floor.

 

Sunggyu took both her hands in his and started moving little by little. Their friends joined them and started dancing around them. Eunji felt more secure with them closer to her, dancing and laughing like nothing matters in the whole world.

 

‘Come on Eunji! A little bit of freedom won’t hurt. Forget about everything for tonight and have fun!’ she encouraged herself.

Sunggyu was really happy to see her loosen up and start dancing, showing off her dancing skill in another place other than the school.
An hour or some passed and they were still dancing their hearts out. Sunggyu was the first to go to the bar and sit on a stool, Eunji followed him, panting.

 

“That was so good! I never felt that light in my whole life!” She confessed.

 

“Told ya! Do you want a drink?”

 

“You drink?”

 

“Just beer. You want to try?” he offered her his cup.

 

“No, not today. Maybe another time.” She refused.

 

“As you like.” He took it and drank it instead.

 

His eyes fell on a young man across the bar who was staring at Eunji with a sly smile. He frowned and looked at Eunji. She was busy talking with Krystal.
His eyes traveled back to the guy and glared at him, anger taking over him. Their eyes met and the man smirked.

 

“What are you looki…” Eunji stopped mid question when she saw the man Sunggyu was glaring at.

 

“Hoya…”

 

“Do you know him?” Sunggyu asked her.

 

“Not really.” She frowned.

 

“Come on, we’re leaving!” he caught her hand and started walking out of the place, but Hoya was fast caught them before they left.

 

“We meet again.” He smiled wickedly to Eunji.

 

“So?” she said, annoyed.

 

“Did you think about my request?” he asked.

 

“I think I made myself clear last time.” She answered firmly.

 

“Why don’t we go somewhere else and speak thoroughly, maybe I’ll make you change your mind.” He said, looking at Sunggyu, who was sending him dirty looks.

 

“What part of NO you can’t understand?!” she snapped. Hoya’s patience was thrown out of the window. When he saw her about to turn and leave.

 

“You sure?” he caught her wrest, sending her a threatening look.

 

But before he knew, his hand was slapped away by none other but Sunggyu. The latter was consumed by his anger and pushed Hoya away, hiding Eunji behind him.

 

“Why don’t you leave your hands for yourself and leave her alone, bastard!”

 

“Sunggyu, no. leave it alone and let’s leave. It’s no big deal.” Eunji stopped him before he did anything stupid. She didn’t want him to attract Hoya’s attention.

 

“KEEP AWAY FROM HER.” He warned Hoya before taking her hand and dragged her out of the way. The rest saw them and followed suit.

 

“Interesting… the huntress got herself a lover. Let’s see how love will play its magic on her.” Hoya smirked, watching them leave, enjoying the turn of things.

 

 

 

 

Eunji and Dongwoo sat on the Long dining table, waiting for their mother to show up.
It was one of the rare times she would invite them to her mansion for lunch. In fact, usually she only invites Dongwoo, but he refuses. If she invites both, it means she had an announcement to make.
Few minuts passed and Eunji started huffing and puffing, already bored.

 

“My babies are here.” Her mother finally showed up, with Woohyun on her tail.

 

Eunji rolled her eyes because of her mother’s extremely fake tone and expression. No words were exchanged between them, it was mainly her mother asking Dongwoo about his work and health, Woohyun stealing glances at her as she played with her food, her appetite lost long ago.

 

“So, two months from now, we’ll be having the company’s 50th anniversary. I’m preparing for a huge party.” Misook announced. Eunji scoffed.

 

“You know, Dongwoo’s grandfather and father used to celebrate the company’s anniversary by giving the workers a raise or a holyday, as a thank you for working hard. But here you are, using those poor people’s hard effort to make parties for extremely wealthy businessmen and foreign investors.” Her mother smiled.

 

“I don’t think you have a say in this. It’s not even your father’s company.” She replied.

 

“But I’m going to inherit your shares anyways, doesn’t that make me a potential heir?” she asked, feigning innocence.

 

“You think? I like your positive thinking. You definitely have your father’s optimism.”

 

“Well it’s better than inheriting my mother’s fakeness and ruthlessness.”

 

“Don’t play it as your better than me darling, you have your shares too.” She smirked in triumph when she saw Eunji’s face darkening.

 

“Stop it both of you!” Dongwoo slammed his spoon on the table.

 

“I’m sorry honey. I shouldn’t get worked up over a kid’s words.” his mother smiled venomously.

“Anyways, the party organizer decided to make it a masquerade and every guest will be allowed to bring a partner. Someone already asked to be your partner, little princess.” She added, her smug look never leaving her face.

 

“Who said I’m coming?” she glared at her mother.

 

“I don’t think I was asking for your opinion.” Misook used her authorative tone.

 

“And who’s the partner?” Dongwoo was the one to ask.

 

“SM entertainment's next CEO, Lee Hoya.”

 

“Not him again. I’m not coming with him and that’s final.” Eunji said firmly.

 

“But I already told him that you don’t have a partner. And I don’t think you have anyone to ask to go with you anyw…”

 

“I have a boyfriend!” she abruptly interrupted her.

 

Woohyun spat on his food and started caughting, Dongwoo widened his eyes while her mother raised an eyebrow. Eunji herself was surprised by her sudden answer, lie to be more precise.

 

“Are you lying to me?” her mother gave her an accusative look.

 

“No, I’m speaking the truth.” She objected, in the most natural tone.

 

“Then mind telling me who’s the ‘lucky guy’?” the anticipation rose in the room.

 

“Kim Sunggyu.” She replied confidently.

 

Her mother and Woohyun were still absorbing the truth while Dongwoo was trying so hard to hide his laugh, catching on his sister’s lie.

 

“Okay then, bring him to the party and I’ll see if I approve of him or not. Thought his family is the closest to our family in terms of wealth and fame.” Her mother finally said, still not completely believing her words.

‘Eunji what did you just do?!’ she cursed herself for involving him in this matter.

 

 

 

Sunggyu was on his way to Eunji’s apartment. It’s been two days since they last met and she’s been obviously avoiding him, so he decided to invade her apartment and see for himself what was wrong. He was about to cut the road when a black car stopped in front of him.

 

“You’re Kim Sunggyu? The suited driver approached him and asked. He nodded in confusion.

 

“I need you to come with me. Please get in the car.” The man opened the back door for him.

 

Sunggyu wasn’t an idiot to go in some stranger’s car. But he recognized the vehicle and the driver. He was the one who came with Woohyun, and the car was the same. So he just did as asked and got in the car, curious about whatever was going to happen.


The car reached a huge mansion, and the driver led Sunggyu in, taking him through the luxurious building and bringing him to a huge office.


A woman was sitting on the canapé, reading a book.

 

“Madam, I brought Mr. Kim Sunggyu over.” The man announced.

 

The woman put her book down and took off her reading glasses than smiled at the boy beautifully.


If meeting Eunji made him paralyzed, meeting her mother made the blood in his veins freeze. The woman was so elegant, but she had a scary vibe. Even if she was smiling, he could feel another dimension of evil radiating from her eyes.

 

‘Is this something in the family or what?’ Sunggyu wondered.

 

“Driver Choi, you can go.” She dismissed the man. “We finally meet again Sunggyu-ah. Why are you still standing, come and sit.” Misook gave him her biggest smile.

 

Hesitantly, he took a seat on the other sofa.

 

“Did you recognize me?” she asked.

 

“I saw you on the news; you’re Mrs. Kim Misook, Eunji’s mom.” He answered frankly. She giggled, making him confused.

 

“Well that’s true, I don’t think you’ll remember me, you were little back then.”

 

“Back then? Did we meet before?” he questioned.

 

“Just once, ten years ago. It was an unfortunate day.” She answered, her face expression falling.

 

“I’m sorry, I still can’t remember."

 

“It was during you brother’s funeral, I’m sorry I’m bringing this up.” She apologized.

 

“It’s okay. I don’t remember his funeral anyways.”

 

“So, did Eunji tell you about the party?” she finally got to the point.

 

“What party?"

 

“The masquerade I’m preparing for. She said she’s going to ask you to be her partner, since you’re her boyfriend, but I guess she’s still dragging the matter.” She continued, waiting for him to deny her words.

 

Did she just say boyfriend? Who’s whose boyfriend? Did Eunji really say that?’ he questioned, a part of him flying over cloud nine.

But why did she lie? Is she in trouble or something? I better play along and then I’ll talk it over with her.’ He decided.

 

“Ahh, I know remembered. She told me about it yesterday but I forgot. I’m becoming very forgetful lately.” He lied, with a wide smile on his lips.

 

“Good then! I can’t wait to see you in a beautiful suit, you’re really handsome. Let all the preparations on me, my stylist will make you the stars of the night.” She promised.

 

“Thank you Mrs. Kim.” He said bashfully.

 

 

 


From: XYZ:
What is Sunggyu doing at the big mansion?

 

As soon as Eunji read the message she just recieved, she hopped in a taxi and hurried to the Jang’s mansion.

 

‘I hope he won’t make anything stupid and I hope she won’t terror him or something.’ She prayed.

 

Sunggyu stayed a little bit longer, Mrs. Kim asking him a few questioned but left her office the moment he finished his juice.


On his way out he bumped in some weird woman. She was kind of old, maybe in her sixties, wearing a black dress with a black hat, red shoes, red handbag and red lipstick. He apologized but the woman gave him a stern look, pursing her lips together. He walked away but kept looking at the weir woman until she entered the office.

 

 

“Sunggyu! What are you doing here?!” Sunggyu brightened the moment he saw Eunji rushing to his direction.

 

“I don’t know actually.” he smiled sheepishly.

 

“I need to talk to you, but not here.” She said, looking around suspiciously.

 

 


“Madam Jo, you came!” Misook wasn’t that surprised to see the woman. She was a regular visitor.

 

“What’s wrong? You look distracted.” She asked when she saw how she kept looking at the door.

 

“The boy who was here, do you know him?” Madam Jo finally spoke.

 

“He’s Kapsoo’s son, you know Professor Kim. They said that he’s dating my daughter.” She answered.

 

“He has a strong aura.”

 

“Stronger than mine or my daughter’s?” Mrs. Kim asked confidently.

 

“If Eunji’s aura can freeze a volcano, this boy’s aura can melt icebergs. He’s fatal.” The woman answered.

 

“What’s so fatal about a seventeen years old kid?”

 

“What was so fatal about an unborn baby?” she gave her a strong look.

 

“Oh get over it already! Thanks to what I’ve did back then look where I got myself and this company! Even you are living off me!” she snapped at her.

 

“I told you it won’t last long. You’re fated to lose very thing, one day.” Madam Jo said.

 

“Who are you to say that?! No matter how much I’ll put on the line, I won’t lose! I’m made for this life and I won’t let anyone take it from me! DO YOU UNDERSTAND !!” she yelled, the woman totally ignored her.

 

 


Driver Choi dropped Sunggyu and Eunji at a coffee shop.

“So, what do you want to say?” Sunggyu asked after they ordered.

 

“What did my mother want?”

 

“Nothing, she just wanted to meet her daughter’s boyfriend.” He winked at her. She blushed.

 

“About that… I really wanted to tell you, but I didn’t know how. ” She mumbled the last part, lowering her head. She then proceeded to tell him what really happened.

 

“So you lied to your mother in order to avoid going to the party with that Hoya guy.” He concluded, she nodded.

 

“If you don’t want to come, I won’t blame you or anything. I’ll tell my mom the truth just before the party so I won’t go with him.” She said, her face falling a little.

 

“Who said I won’t come? Even if I’m not really your boyfriend, I still wanna be your partner.” He smiled warmly. “Plus, what kind of friend will let his friend go to a party with an like him.” He added.

 

Eunji smiled sheepishly, thanking him.

 

“So, shall we go out tonight?” he winked.

 

“You know I won’t say no.” she winked back, taking him off guard.

 

 

 

It was Eunji’s first time enjoying her summer break. Every night, a new adventure was waiting for her. First they start by hitting the clubs and then the fun starts. They did many illegal things in the process, from decorating the street walls with graffiti, stealing from the street venders, eating without paying, breaking in closed areas and the list goes and on. It was so thrilling and she enjoyed them more than she should.

 

 


One night, it was only Eunji and Sunggyu, the rest were busy and couldn’t join. So they started by stopping at a club, and it was her first time drinking. Surprisingly, her alcohol tolerance was quiet high.
Both of them were dancing and kind of tipsy when Sunggyu noticed a few guys checking Eunji out. They looked like gangsters with their edgy style and golden accessories, but Sunggyu was fuming with jealousy when they started dancing near them, still staring at Eunji.

 

“Yah!! What do you think you’re doing? You filthy scam bag!!” he launched at one of them and punched him square in the face, breaking his nose and knocking him off.

 

In fact, Sunggyu was good at fighting. Jonghyun taught him few things and he took boxing classes, so he had really good fists.
Eunji was surprised by the sight and tried to stop him from getting himself in more trouble, but it was too late, as he already sent the second one flying.


But Sunggyu was just a high school student, and they were a five-membered gang.


One of them tried to punch him but he magically dodged it to welcome a new punch from another gangster, throwing him to the floor. The music stopped and people started crowding around them.

Sunggyu thought he was going to die when he saw that the two he punched earlier got up and was approaching him, but one kick from Eunji knocked them off. Yep, you heard it right, Jung Eunji.


Sunggyu lost track of what was going on as all he saw was flying kicks and punches and unconscious falling bodies.


When the last one was down, she stretched her hand to help him stand.

 

“Where did you learn that?” he asked in astonishment, still not believing what he just saw.

 

“My grandpa was a martial arts master, he taught me some kicks.” She shrugged her shoulders.

 

“The police are here!!” someone shouted, announcing the arrival of the police.

 

“!!” Sunggyu cursed.

 

“What are we going to do?” she questioned, looking at the men on the ground.

 

“Run of course.”

 

And as on cue, her hand found his and they started making their way out of the dancing floor and to the back door. Unfortunately, some really good citizen told the police about the direction they went to and they started chasing them.


Eunji and Sunggyu exited the place and started running through the dark alleys, in hope of losing the officer who was on their tail.
An alley led to another and they found themselves in a dead end.

 

“Stay quiet, I think we lost him.” He whispered, unconsciously trapping her to one of the alley walls.

 

He kept peeking at the open way, inspecting the area.
Eunji was having a difficulty controlling her face color when she was in such a position, their bodies a hair’s width away from each other.

 

“I think we’re safe now.” He said few minutes later, still oblivious of their closeness. “Maybe w…” he stopped mid sentence when he turned to face her. Eunji was looking at him, straight in the eyes, their noses were almost touching. The look in her eyes was unreadable as usual, but tender and shining.

 

Sunggyu was once more mesmerized by her beauty, and his heart started beating like crazy.

 

‘I really wanna know, what is this that I’m feeling…’ he thought, giving an excuse to himself for what he was about to do.

 

He slowly lowered his head a little, stared for a last time in her eyes, before he closed his when his lips touched hers.


It was a mere peck, but it was more than enough to paralyze Eunji and to set Sunggyu’s heart on fire.

 


As promised, another chapter :D

So much is going on and the ending ;)

(the kiss doesn't end here... Spoileeeeer!!)

 Now you have to wait pa