Chapter 2

On the road to happiness

It turns out that Junior ended up in a cafe in a remote part of Icheon. He still has no recollection of where he came from, or what his real name is. The first few days were filled with restless nights, tossing and turning on the couch in the back room. Then little by little Junior began to adapt to his situation. He had a feeling that he had been running away from something terrible when he lost his memory, so maybe this was all destiny.

Junior had been immersed in the cafe business on the same day that he was found on the sidewalk. Not a minute had passed since Junior had put on the uniform when he was being dragged out by Jackson and shoved, literally, at a glaring Jaebum.

To make matters worse the uniform, in Junior's opinion, was quite unflattering. Granted, it was more comfortable than the tux but it wasn't Junior's size. The shirt was fine, but the pants were a little too snug around his area and it bunched up awkwardly around his thighs.

 

 

For most people, working with Im Jaebum on their first day on the job would be a traumatic experience. But Junior soon discovered that he had thick skin and a strong resolve.

Jaebum had a fast pace, period. He had given Junior a tour of the cafe and a long list of rules and protocols, all in less than half an hour. Then, he had turned to Junior with a smug look and said, "Quiz time."

To Jaebum's surprise, Junior answered all his rapid fire questions about the cafe with ease and confidence. It seemed like Junior was made for this business. It only took him a few days to memorize all the coffee recipes and menu items. Meanwhile, the customers seemed ecstatic to have a new friendly face to talk to. And Junior loved to talk to them. He offered a cheerful smile and upbeat mood to each customer he served.

Jaebum seemed reluctant to show his approval of Junior's thriving skills. On the other hand, Jackson had no qualms about singing his praises to Junior.

"You are doing great, keep up the good work!" Jackson had clapped Junior on the back, "Jaebum might even have some competition for employee of the month."

As if Jaebum didn't need more reasons to hate Junior. After that comment Jaebum would glare at Junior every time he did something well. It was exhausting after a week. Junior finally snapped when Jaebum yelled at him for messing up his first drink, and then gloating that Junior wasn't cut out for the cafe.

"Yah!" Junior slammed his hand on the table, knocking over some salt shakers. Jaebum's collected face immediately slipped into one of utter surprise at Junior's outburst, because well, Junior was usually quite perky. But now, Junior was indeed quite furious. He had lost his memory, had to sleep on a couch, uniforms were his only form of clothing, and now Jaebum was being a prick.

"I don't know what your problem is, but can you stop being an !"

At the word , Jaebum raised his chin defiantly and opened his mouth to yell back. But Junior wasn't going to have it, he started to walk towards Jaebum menancingly. His voice growing louder and louder with each word.

"I'm not a serial killer, I'm actually decent at my job. I'm not causing you any major problems. And if you have problem with me, that . Jackson hired me, not you! So as long as Jackson wants me here, I'm staying!"

By then, Junior was standing inches away from Jaebum who was crowded against the edge of the counter. Jaebum's eyes were wide as saucers and his mouth open and closed in an attempt to formulate words. A few moments passed before Jaebum spoke, shoulder deflated in defeat, "Fine. I'll try to be nicer."

That's all Junior needed to hear.

He took a step back from Jaebum, "Good, I hope we can be friends now," and then Junior walked away. Jaebum stayed back, looking immensely confused as he tried to process what had just happened.

 

 

After the confrontation, Jaebum stopped glaring and being stand offish. On good days, he would even say good job to Junior. It was said so quietly and quickly that Junior almost didn't register it happened, but when it did he never failed to beam at Jaebum.

Junior was glad Jaebum stopped being a complete , he was still annoying sometimes, but at least it was getting better. It had made Junior's skin crawl that Jaebum was an but still very attractive, so now that Jaebum was being nicer, Junior could appreciate how hot he was in peace.

One might think that Jaebum's cold exterior would not be welcome in a coffee shop where customer service is priority, but the truth was that Jaebum was excellent at his job. Junior admired him deeply for it. Jaebum seemed to be very devoted and passionate about his job at the coffee shop. He made the drinks and food with careful attentiveness and finesse. While he could be mean to the staff, the customers got nothing but polite smiles and small talk. In fact the only time Junior saw Jaebum smile was when he was serving customers.

Junior caught himself staring at Jaebum once, while he was wiping down tables. It was the first time Junior saw Jaebum smile.

A family had come in and the kids were whining for hot chocolate. Jaebum had knelt down, ruffled their hair, and with a wide smile promised them the best hot chocolate on earth-if they waited quietly. Once the drinks were completed Jaebum had added whipped cream and cinnamon sprinkled on the top as a reward for the kids waiting sop patiently. The little ones had hugged Jaebum's legs and the parents had sent Jaebum a grateful smile.

Junior almost cooed at the sight, he swore his heart was melting into a puddle of goo at the pit of his stomach.

 

 

Everyone else at Wang Cafe was pretty friendly. Jackson, the owner, had given Junior clothes and a bed (or well a couch but close enough). The cafe also had two other young employees who were in their last year of college-one was an alarmingly tall kid with bright orange hair called Yugyeom and the other was a kid who called himself Bambam because his actual name was too hard to say.

Junior doesn't know much about himself, considering he lost all of his memories. But he discovers knew things about himself everyday. Such as the fact he is very motherly in a sense. He isn't sure of his own age, but he is sure both Bambam and Yugyeom are younger than him-even if Yugyeom towers a good few inches over him.

One of Junior's new favorite activities was doting on the two. Bambam and Yugyeom were use to being constantly scolded by Jackson and Jaebum, so they quickly warmed up to Junior and his caring nature. For example, Junior knew that two spent many late nights studying and would welcome them with fresh cups of coffee every morning. He would also make sure they were let out for their lunch breaks on time and had a proper meal that didn't just consist of fries and a milkshake. As it got colder outside, he would even make sure they were bundled up in scarves and hats before heading out the door.

Bambam and Yugyeom loved being pampered and coddled by Junior.

 

 

As Junior became protective of them, they saw him as a good defense mechanism against Jaebum.

According to the staff, Jaebum held a reputation. They used three words to describe him-cool, y and chic (Junior definitely agreed with the y part). Unless he lost his temper, in that case the only word to describe Jaebum was scary. That's why everyone was careful not anger or snap at Jaebum, lest they face his wrath.

That's why the maknaes were so surprised to learn Junior had actually yelled at Jaebum and made him cower. Bambam had looked up at him in awe after hearing the story. "No one talks to him like that. Except for Jackson sometimes, but even he knows his limits. I would kill to see Jaebum's face. You are the first to treat him like that."

So occasionally, Yugyeom would come running to Junior whining, "Hyung, Jaebum is being mean again!" In most cases it was because the maknaes were goofing around Jaebum was just telling (or more like yelling) them to stop, but Junior defended his children nonetheless.

Jaebum had approached them with a glare and a broom (his classical weapon for hitting staff, Junior had quickly learned). He gave a questioning look at Yugyeom hiding behind Junior, "Is he your mother now?"

"Yes!" Yugyeom declared confidently. Junior just laughed and then chastised Jaebum for being too harsh on the maknaes, to which Jaebum grumbled something about Junior spoiling them too much.

 

 

Bambam later declared that Junior was superb mediator between them and Jaebum, "Jaebum-hyung, is usually grumpy towards everyone. But around you, he acts nicer."

Junior scoffed, "Nicer? If by nicer you mean short head nods and clipped small talk."

But Bambam just shook his head, "He tells you good job all the time! Me and Yugyeom get a good job maybe once in a blue moon. And he doesn't scold you constantly."

"That's because I don't goof around all the time." Junior retorted and Bambam pouted-Junior couldn't resist to pinch his cheeks.

"I heard you made him laugh once! Like actual laughing, Jaebum doesn't laugh." Bambam insisted.

Junior wanted to clarify that Jaebum was actually laughing at him-not with him. They had been in the kitchen because Jaebum needed to teach Junior how to use their large electric mixer. Unfortunately, Junior wasn't feeling the brightest that day, and so he accidentally set the mixer to full blast. The flour in the bowl flew straight into Junior's face, coating it white. It was one of the few mistakes Junior had made in his time there, so Jaebum seemed gleeful. (There seemed to be running competition between Jaebum and Junior as to who could do better at tasks assigned to them.)

Jaebum squished his lips together in a desperate attempt to contain any laughter. But then he made eye contact with Junior and the laughter spilled past his lips in short bursts. Slightly offended, Junior proceeded to grab a handful of flour and chucked it at Jaebum's face. Jaebum had then grabbed Junior's arm, pinned it to his back, and bent him over so his face was centimeters away from a bowl filled with flour.

"I'm very competitive so don't even try playing games." Jaebum warned. Most people would be terrified in that position but Junior just stuck out his tongue at Jaebum-who let out a snicker. Junior loved the sound of Jaebum's laugh, it had a deep and hearty tone. On a less innocent note, Junior brain had immediately brought up dirty thoughts at the way Jaebum's strength had easily bent him over.

 

 

Junior also learned the teasing Jaebum was another one of his favorite things to do. It was rather easy actually. Jaebum may have a chic persona, but it seemed Junior always found a way to fluster him. As of late, anytime Junior said, "Thanks hyungggg." in a singsong voice, Jaebum faltered in whatever he was doing.

The first time Junior called Jaebum hyung, was when they were in the kitchen training as usual. This time Jaebum was directing Junior to make simple latte art by pouring steamed milk on to the top of the latte. Junior was trying to make a smiley face, but he hands kept shaking so it ended up looking like a grimace. Jaebum sighed, "You need to slow down and keep your hand steady."

Jaebum had then placed one hand over Junior's hand that clutched the milk pitcher, while he placed another hand on Junior's arm to steady him. He easily guided Junior into making a large flower that covered the ugly smiley face. Junior hoped he wasn't blushing. After all, it was just simple touch, but Jaebum's hands were so warm and he was standing so close. The fact Junior may or may not be nursing a tiny crush on him wasn't helping either.

Either way, the latte art had come out nicely and Junior blurted out, "Thanks hyung!"

Jaebum blinked, obviously flustered, "You don't have to call me that. We aren't even close."

Junior ignored Jaebum's comment, "Why not? I spend all my time with you as your trainee and you're obviously older than me."

"Are you saying I look old?" Jaebum shrieked.

Junior rolled his eyes, of course that's what Jaebum chooses to focus on. With a smirk Junior answered, "Yes. So if you don't like hyung then I can call you Ahjusshi."

"I'm only 25!." Jaebum protested.

"Does this mean I can call you hyung?" Junior said in that singsong voice of his-maybe even adding a little bit of puppy eyes.

Jaebum huffed, "Fine."

 

 

To be honest, Junior had no clue as to why Jaebum got so flustered when he calls him hyung. It's not like they are complete strangers anymore. Well, at least it shows Jaebum's humanity. Beneath all the grumpy demeanor Jaebum could actually be a gentlemen, Junior soon discovered.

The deliver men who would come drop off their supplies occasionally stayed in the cafe to chat. They had caught wind of Junior and his mysterious background. Junior had been taking his break in the back room when he heard voices outside. "What if he's an entitled rich kid?" one of the delivery men had said. "He looks preppy and kind of stuck up."

"Yeaaa and what if he ran away to escape heading the family business," a second voice added.

"Honestly, he could be psychopath."

Junior almost laughed at the ridiculousness of the tale. If he hadn't been insulted he would have been flattered they thought he had enough class to be rich. He convinced himself the men meant no harm and were just gossiping. But at that moment he heard Jaebum's voice outside as well.

"Hey, you two. Don't say things like that. The kid lost his memory and you guys are being rude." Jaebum scolded.

Junior was taken back by Jaebum defending him-even if it was a little hypocritical considering how Jaebum acted the day they met. Later that day he approached Jaebum as he pumped chocolate into a row of croissants. "You're curbing the rumors." Junior murmured.

Jaebum looked surprised to have been caught and mumbled, "Don't mind them. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone." Without meeting Junior's eyes he added, "And I'm sorry for treating you the same way, the day you arrived." The apology warmed Junior's heart. Damn it, Jaebum was attractive and secretly nice-keeping his crush lowkey was going to be hard.

Junior placed a hand on Jaebum's arm and squeezed it, "You stood up for me, so I forgive you. Thank you hyung."

For some reason the gesture made Jaebum's hand slip and he got chocolate all over his hands. "Y-your welcome" he stammered.

Junior clicked his tongue, "Silly hyung. I'm suppose to be the newbie here," and Junior got a towel to wipe Jaebum hands clean. Junior was also slightly amused at the way the tip of Jaebum's ears had gone pink when he held his hands to clean them.