Chapter 1

On the road to happiness

The ceremony is beautiful as expected. Jinyoung claps along with the hundreds of other guests that have come to share their congratulations with the happy couple. His cheeks ache with the strain of plastering on a faux smile for the entire evening. It's only because he studied acting in college that he is able to keep up a strikingly believable performance tonight.

Tonight Jinyoung is going to pretend to be happy. He is going to join the other guests as they cheer when Mark and his newly wed wife have their first dance. He will then give the most amazing and tear-jerking best man speech ever. Afterwords he might stop by to have a chat with the newly weds and wander around the crowd entertaining guests.

That's what Jinyoung is suppose to do. A good best friend gives their utmost support on their friend's wedding day. The only thoughts running through Jinyoung's head should he be how happy he is for Mark...and yet, all he feels is pain. Which was not that surprising. Jinyoung knew that going to Mark's wedding would bring him pain-a whole lot of it. But here he is, sitting at the designated table for important guests at Mark's wedding. Why? Because Jinyoung made Mark a promise. That no matter what they would stick together and always be there in each other's high and low points of life. Well, this is a pretty high point in Mark's life, therefore Jinyoung's presence was required.

Besides, if Jinyoung hadn't shown up Mark would have asked questions. Jinyoung in no way wants that. He has done a pretty good job of hiding his feelings from Mark through their long friendship. And that will continue to be the plan for the next 60 years.

From the corner of Jinyoung's eye, he can see Mark and his wife kissing as they sway on the dance floor. Jinyoung wants to be happy for his friend, he really does. He has wished for these feelings to go away on countless nights, so that he could live in peace. But, you can't tell your heart who not to fall in love with. Life just doesn't work out that easily. The tender sight of the bride and groom has Jinyoung's chest clenching in the most uncomfortable way. Jinyoung decides he's had enough of moping over a slightly charred steak and overpriced wine. He wants to mope over whiskey and maybe a couple of shots of vodka, so he trudges over to the bar.

Jinyoung thinks he deserves a real drink. After all, he got through the church ceremony, toasts, and the best man speech without having a mental break down. It's time to indulge himself a little. He waves to the bartender who has a smile so bright he can only compare to the sun, "Two rounds of vodka shots please."

At his request, the bartender's dazzling smile falters, "Just for yourself?" there is slight judgemental tone in his voice which makes Jinyoung bristle.

"People are suppose to get drunk at weddings." Jinyoung defends himself.

The bartender shrugs as he whisks out a line of shot glasses to pour drinks into. When he slides the first vodka filled shot towards Jinyoung, he asks, "Bride or groom?"

Jinyoung blanches, "Excuse me?"

"People get innocuously drunk at weddings. They don't order rounds of vodka shots as if they are trying to put themselves in a coma. Now that only comes from a broken heart." Jinyoung's only response to the bartender's shrewd observation is a jaw slacked expression. "So, bride or groom? I don't judge. As a bartender I'm meant to hear all sorts of crazy drama."

Jinyoung flushes and decides down a shot of vodka before answering. For the most part Jinyoung is a pretty reserved person. He doesn't easily share his personal details with anyone, unless their name is Mark. But even Mark was missing one crucial piece of information about Jinyoung. For some reason Jinyoung felt very willing to spill the beans to this random bartender who just seemed to exude trustworthiness. He is also incredibly tired of hiding and acting, so the words easily slip from his mouth, "Groom. Been in love with him since we were kids." Jinyoung takes another shot.

The bartender lets out a low whistle, "Best man in love with the groom. Now that's a tragic story."

"Tell me about it," Jinyoung grumbles. "I'll get over it," he says even if he doesn't believe it. And as if the universe is playing cruel tricks on him, Mark chooses that exact moment to walk over.

Mark slings an arm around Jinyoung and pulls him for a tight hug, "Jinyoungie, you gave the best speech. Thank you, you've helped so much for the wedding. Man, I love you." In instant, Jinyoung feels like throwing up. His heart hurts so, so much knowing that the anytime Mark says I love you, it's only meant in the friendliest manner. He wants to scream and cry-to declare his undying love because he is just so god damn tired. But its Mark's wedding night and Jinyoung isn't going to be the that ruins it.

Instead he lies through gritted teeth, "Anytime. You know you're like my brother."

They exchange friendly chatter for a few minutes. The overwhelming warmth and scent of Mark standing so close is making Jinyoung dizzier than the shots every will. Mark looks absolutely stunning in his suit and Jinyoung can't help but stare absently as Mark talks. Eventually, Mark's wife approaches them to drag Mark away for another dance. Jinyoung just offers a weak wave as Mark leaves.

Behind him the bartender makes a sympathetic noise, "Here have more shots. I'm Youngjae by the way. If you want to rant, I'm all ears. If you want to cry, I've got tissues under the counter." Jinyoung lets out a bitter laugh, and begins to down the shots one after another.

Minutes pass by, or maybe hours, Jinyoung lost track a while time ago. The whole ballroom is spinning and Jinyoung is pretty sure the ground is moving unnaturally beneath his feet. He attempts to get off his stool but collapses against the bar as soon as he does get up. Youngjae, who is still diligently tending the bar, seems to take pity of his state and offers to call a cab. But Jinyoung insists that a bus will be cheaper and he lives close enough anyway.

Youngjae is kind enough to walk Jinyoung to the nearest bus stop, a block away. Jinyoung vaguely remembers being shoved in to a random seat and Youngjae giving him a few parting sympathetic words about not giving up hope.

Jinyoung has no idea how much he has had to drink, but all of his senses are numb. He barely registers when the bus comes to it's last stop and the bus driver is shoving him out onto the street. The cold air is like slap in the face and it sobers him just a bit. Just enough to see looming figures in the shadow. He doesn't recognize his surroundings but it doesn't take a genius to tell he got dropped in a bad neighborhood. There is a bad feeling settling in his gut as he walks along the sidewalk, so when he sees the friendly lights of another bus, he hops on.

The warmth and gentle rocking of the bus lulls Jinyoung to sleep. Eventually this bus also comes to it's last stop and Jinyoung finds himself getting kicked out for a second time that night. While the alcohol seems to have clouded most of his rational thoughts, Jinyoung is sane enough to not hop on a third bus or he will be even more lost than he already is. This leaves him with nothing to do but wander around the streets stewing over his feelings.

First, there's anger, a whole lot of anger. Even if he doesn't have a right to feel this way, he is angry he didn't say something to Mark sooner and that Mark found happiness in someone else. The anger dissipates into bitterness and resentfulness. He finds himself cursing the marriage. At some point his feelings lose their passion and he is just overwhelmed with deep sadness.

Jinyoung had foolishly fallen in love with his best friend when they were teenagers. Fresh man year of high school brought new experiences along with new found feelings for Mark. At the time Jinyoung had still been in the closet and when he came out to Mark, the older was incredibly supportive. Which only made Jinyoung fall in love with him more.

Their friendship consisted of heavy skinship and even little kisses on the cheek, all which fueled Jinyoung's attachment to Mark. He half expected Mark to come out to him at one point in high school, instead Mark told him he got a girlfriend. Too scared for confrontation, Jinyoung just smiled and congratulated him. And that's what he did for the next 4 girlfriends Mark had. And that's what he did tonight when Mark finally married that latest one.

Jinyoung collapses against an old brick building and begins to sob uncontrollably-unable to contain the feelings he had pent for years anymore. The place where he currently is doesn't seem in a much better state than the previous neighborhood. In fact, it was worse. Hooded figures are crossing the street and seem to be heading straight for him. He almost laughs out loud because it figures he's going to get mugged on the worst night if his life. He must look like an easy target-drunk and wearing an expensive tux.

For a minute, he debates just staying there and letting the worst happen to him. But the faces of his parents and Mark flash in the back of his mind. So, Jinyoung starts running or more like stumbling clumsily in a random direction. In his drunken state the figures easily catch up to him. One of them tugs Jinyoung's suit jacket with so much force, he is sent sprawling to the ground. As Jinyoung falls, he feels his head hit the sharp point of a rock. A searing white pain consumes Jinyoung's entire mind and he blacks out.

..........

He opens his eyes and is surprised when all he can see is an expanse of gray cement. When he begins to pick himself up, a throbbing pain in his head has him laying back down. Blinding sunlight assaults his face and he squints to look at his surroundings. He tries to piece the jigsaw puzzles swimming in his mind, but everything seems scrambled and foggy.

Suddenly an annoyed voice is breaking through the confusion, "Are you just going to lay there?"

His gaze snaps to the man looming over him. The first things that pops into his mind isn't, I just woke up on a sidewalk, or there's an angry man standing over me, or where the am I. No the first thought in his mind is to note how attractive the angry man is. The man is wearing a simple white t-shirt and jeans cutoff at the ankles. A brown apron is wrapped around his slim waist. Although the outfit is very casual, the man still manages to look like he walked straight out of a magazine. Toned muscles and a sharp jawline make the guy look like he was chiseled to perfection. His jet black hair compliments his pale skin nicely, and the numerous piercings on his ears completes the look. To put simply, this guy is hot.

It takes a moment for the boy sprawled on the sidewalk to notice that the attractive man's attractive jawline is clenched and there's a broom wielded like a weapon in his hands. "Well? I don't appreciate drunks outside my coffee shop," the man practically shouts.

He looks like he's about to use the broom when another blonde man runs up to them. "Jaebum, what's the commotion about? Oh! Who are you?" The blonde man gapes at the boy still lying on the sidewalk. While the blonde guy is also quite attractive, the boy can't help but to keep staring at the one with jet black hair.

There are most important matters at hand though. The boy gives out a shaky answer, "I-I don't know. Where am I?"

The blonde man's face immediately melts from surprise to concern. "Do you know your name?" He asks gently.

The boy slowly gets up and wobbles on his feet. His head stills feels as if there is a hammer pounding on his skull. A name is something that should easily come to him, but as much as he thinks nothing comes up. Which scares the out of him. How can he not even remember his own name? Panic quickly rises in his chest and his breathes becomes short and jerky. The blonde man senses his anxiety and quickly says, "Hey, it's okay. Do you maybe remember a nickname or something?"

At the word nickname, a distant part of his brain offers the name Junior to him. The boy immediately responds, "Junior? I think...you can call me Junior."

"Alright, Junior," the blonde man repeats. "My name is Jackson Wang," he then points to the angry attractive (Junior seriously can't stop calling him attractive) man next to him, "That's Im Jaebum. Our resident tsundere. Now, do you have any idea as to why you're lying outside our coffee shop?"

Junior blinks back and forth between the two men. He again tries to rack his brain for more information besides a name. Unfortunately, he is just met with cloudy gray areas in his memories. "I don't remember. I don't remember anything." Junior feels the blood drain from his face at the realization.

"Woah, take it easy. Don't force yourself."

Junior pats his pockets for a phone or a wallet, something that could help him in this desperate situation. But he comes up with nothing. He wills his voice to not shake as he asks, "Do you think I could use your phone? I don't have any of my stuff."

"Of course, come inside," Jackson motions for Junior to follow him. Jaebum glares at him suspiciously and doesn't let go of the broom as if he's expecting Junior to be so sort of thief or psychopath.

Their coffee shop is small but cozy. The walls are light brown and covered with artistic photographs of coffee beans and other coffee related objects. All the furniture and decor has an antique look to it. It is eerily quite but Junior sees the charm in the small coffee shop. Jackson ends up leading him to the back where they keep a wall phone. Junior takes the phone, but pauses when he realizes he doesn't have any idea who to call. He sags against the wall defeated, "I don't know who to call."

Jaebum looks exasperated with the whole ordeal. "Maybe we should send him to the hospital or the police station?"

"And abandon him there, that's just mean! Besides, hospital bills are expensive."

"He's not our responsibility," Jaebum bites back.

"The poor guy has no identity or money, he has nowhere to go." All of the sudden Jackson eyes lit up as if struck with a brilliant idea and turns to face Junior, "We have a couch in one of our back rooms! It's not much but its better than a sidewalk. You can stay there until you sort yourself out."

Junior opens his mouth ready to protest such generosity, Jackson says, "And before you think I'm just handing out a free living space, there is one condition. You have to work here while you stay here. It just so happens I've been short on staff lately."

Jaebum is scandalized, "You can't be serious! He could be a serial killer for all we know, he can't work with us!"

"Why not? he needs a place to stay and I need more staff. I doubt he's a serial killer, they aren't that cute." Jackson offers Junior a wink and Junior flushes.

"He doesn't have any experience," Jaebum insists.

"Not a problem. You are assigned to train him now," Jackson adds cheerfully. Jaebum gawks at him before storming off further into the depths of the coffee shop.

"He hates me," Junior worries. Jackson rolls his eyes, "Don't mind him. He's always grumpy."

"Okay...but oh thank you, thank you. I was so scared I would have to stay out on the streets."

"No problem, kid. We aren't heartless enough to abandon you." And Junior begs to differ, considering Jaebum seemed adamant on dumping him on the streets just minutes before but he keeps quiet.

"Now that tux you're wearing looks absolutely uncomfortable to be in. We have some old uniforms in the back that you can wear." Jackson says.

Junior can't believe his luck, "How can I repay you?"

"Just work your off in this cafe and you are good."

Junior nods feverishly, "Oh I will."

Jackson grins at him, "In that case welcome to the Wang Cafe."