Chapter 4

On the road to happiness

I just wanted to say thank you for all the lovely comments they really make my day and bring a smile to my face. Thank you for reading! <3 <3

Warning: There sensitive content (past child abuse) in a dream Jinyoung has. I giving a heads up because I don't want anyone to feel uncomortable.

 

Junior was in the middle of grinding coffee beans when the staff was called for a very important meeting. Everyone gathered by the sink because apparently that's where Jackson likes to hold important meetings. For a second Junior worried someone was in trouble or something bad had happened, but then he saw Jackson smiling proudly at everyone and he knew all was well.

"I'm going to close the shop early this weekend because...I want to invite everyone for a road trip to the beach!" Jackson announced.

"But it's cold outside." Junior frowned, already concerned for everyone's health.

"Which is why it will be perfect." Jackson continued enthusiastically.

"Yea, it's actually tradition to take all the staff to the beach when it's cold. There will be less people hanging around the beach. Or no people at all." Yugyeom explained from where he was leaning against the sink with an arm around Bambam's waist-as usual.

"Yup! And think of it also as welcoming party for Junior. He deserves it after having to suffer through training under Jaebum. The poor thing." Jackson bowed his head mockingly and maknaes chorused a, "True." (Even though Junior wouldn't exactly call it torture. Not when he got watch Jaebum's arm muscles flex and bend as he taught Junior how to properly knead dough.)

Jaebum crossed his arms and scowled at Jackson. "You were the one who assigned him to me."

"It wasn't that bad, honestly. Jaebum was a good instructor." Junior tried to save face.

But that only seemed to fuel Jackson's teasing game as he turned to Jaebum, "Awww, he even defends you now. Did you brain wash him?" 

Jaebum launched a dish towel at Jackson's jeering face.

 

 

 

Junior was pretty excited to get away for the weekend. He loved working at the coffee shop, but he was also a little tired of staying in the same 4 walls for a few months. At first Junior was pretty reluctant to step foot outside the coffee shop. The shop had become like a protective bubble for him. Stepping outside would mean he would have to address his unknown surrounding as well as face the gaping holes in his memory. Junior wasn't sure if he was ready just yet, for multiple reasons. But eventually, he grew restless and yearned to step out of his comfort zone. So, Junior joined Bambam during his lunch break to ask for advice on preparing for the beach trip.

"Pack a lot of warm clothes and layers! It can get really cold, but at least that means we will have the beach to ourselves." Bambam said as Junior diligently pealed apples for them to eat-like a good mother. Junior thought back to the clothes in the back room. His wardrobe was certainly not extensive. It consisted of a pair of PJs Jackson gave him and old uniforms that no one else bothered to wear.

"Yea...I should probably go shopping." Junior concluded. Bambam's eyes lit up at the word shopping, "Good idea! You've barely used your pay checks so you can splurge." He abandoned his food and whipped out his phone to show Junior where all the good shops were.

"I would go with you," Bambam pouted, "but I have an big exam on Thursday so I'm going to be studying this whole week."

Junior hand-fed Bambam some apple slices before answering, "It's okay I can go by myself."

"Why don't you take Jaebum?" Bambam mumbled around a mouthful of food.

"He doesn't really seem like the type to enjoy shopping."

"If it's time spent with you. Trust me, he won't mind." Bambam waggled his eyebrows in the most disturbing manner and Junior took the opportunity to pinch Bambam's arm.

"Ow! Its true! Besides you need new clothes."

"Ugh I know." Junior gestured towards the uniform he was wearing. "These pants are so unflattering."

There was a pause before Bambam burst out laughing, Junior pinched him again, "Yah, no need to make fun of me."

Bambam was wiping tears away from his eyes, "Oh hyung, those aren't unflattering pants at all. In fact they're a little too flattering."

Junior just gave him a blank expression to which Bambam sighed at his hyung's naiveness, "Those pants make your look amazing. Everyone was staring at your on the first day. But that's not as bad as Jaebum. See we stopped after the first day. Meanwhile, Jaebum is literally always staring at your . Its so obvious I can't believe you didn't notice."

"That's not true, Jaebum concentrates on his work." Junior's tried to keep his face impassive and unaffected by this revelation, even if he was secretly pleased.

"And when he's not concentrated on work, he's concentrated on your ." Bambam winked and Junior shoved more apple slices into Bambam's mouth to shut him up.

 

 

 

It was getting closer to the weekend and Junior conjured up the courage to invite Jaebum to go shopping. After a mental pep talk, he walked straight up to Jaebum, who was refilling milk in one of the machines, and clung to his arm. "Hyunnggggg" Junior drawled. To Jaebum's credit he was finally getting use to Junior's excessive use of hyung. Instead of floundering around, Jaebum just hummed without looking over. Junior tugged at his sleeve, "Do you have plans tonight?"

That caught Jaebum's attention, "No why...?"

"Great you can go shopping with me! I need new clothes. Jackson already said it's okay for us to leave early." Junior breezed right through his invitation. Might as well get to the point.

"Wait, wait! I didn't agree."

"Hyung, are you really going to let me go alone? I barely know this town what if I get mugged. Again!"

It took a minute before Jaebum finally relented, "Okay, just let me finish this and we can head out." Junior cheered at his success.

They ended up in one of the small malls that Bambam had recommended. There were large window displays and flashy advertisements, all beckoning customers to come in and spend all their money. After weeks of wearing nothing but uniforms, Junior was more than ready to throw his cash down and get everything.

"What would you wear to the get together this weekend?" Junior casually asked Jaebum.

"Like a shirt...and jeans?" Jaebum provided very unhelpfully.

"That's it..." Well, Junior really shouldn't have expected more from a man who wore a t-shirt and jeans almost everyday to work (not that Junior was complaining, Jaebum's t-shirt always showed off his muscles nicely). At least he got fashion advice from Bambam before hand, or else he would have been completely at lost with just Jaebum to help him.

As if reading his mind, Jaebum huffed, "If you wanted stellar fashion advice you should've asked Bambam to come."

"Yea but Bambam had to study...Oh look this store has a sale!" Junior looped his arm through Jaebum's and dragged him inside.

"So I was your second choice." Jaebum actually looked hurt.

"Um," Junior flapped his hands, he didn't want Jaebum to be upset with him. "No, no, not at all! Bambam offered to come but, I told him I already was set on bringing you." Junior patted Jaebum's shoulder, pleased with how he had steered the conversation.

"But why would he offer if he had to study?" Jaebum still questioned. Seeking for a diversion, Junior grabbed clothing hangers and said, "Oh look these are on sale." And he dumped a few shirts unceremoniously into Jaebum's arms. Which became the process for the next hour. Junior saw something he liked and then gave it to Jaebum to hold, so he could move onto the next clothing rack. Soon the pile in Jaebum's arms grew so tall he had trouble seeing over it.

"I think it's time for you try some of these on." Jaebum's voice came out muffled from the fabric pressed against his face.

"Good idea." Junior practically skipped to the dressing room, hands free of any baggage, while Jaebum trudged behind him holding all the clothes.

Junior slipped into one of the dressing rooms and began to try on shirt after shirt. Nothing he had picked was really working for him until he pulled on an oversized, white, fluffy sweater with skinny jeans. The outfit was on the pricier side, but it was incredibly comfortable. He debated on whether or not to himself and decided he should ask for Jaebum's opinion.

When he pulled back the curtain, Junior's almost cooed at how Jaebum looked like perfect boyfriend material. Jaebum was sitting on a small wobbly stool, still loyally holding all the clothes that didn't fit in the dressing room. His normally styled hair was flattened against his forehead, and his rarely-worn glasses were askew on his face as he scrolled through his phone.

Junior resisted the urge to snap a picture of Jaebum like this and cleared his throat, "This outfit is a little pricey, but not so much that i can't afford it, do you think-"

Jaebum looked up and his response was immediate, "Buy it."

Taken back Junior said, "Are you sure? Do you think it's worth it?"

"Yes." Jaebum feverishly nodded his head and added quietly, "You look good."

"Oh. Okay. Thank you." Junior mumbled trying to fight off a blush as he disappeared back into the dressing room. A few more outfits were chosen, consisting of button ups, cardigans, and more oversized sweaters. Surprisingly, Jaebum was generously giving out compliments and Junior wondered if his blush would ever fade after the dressing room session. The bottom of the pile of clothes was reached and he called out to Jaebum from behind the curtain just to be sure, "Nothing's left right?"

He heard some shuffling before Jaebum answered. "Actually there is one more," and with great precision a leather jacket was thrown from the outside into Junior's cubicle.

"A leather jacket? This isn't really my style." Junior said uncertainly.

"Just try it." Jaebum urged.

Ah, why the hell not. Junior grabbed a discarded tank top on the floor to put on under the leather jacket. The jacket looked uncomfortable and heavy. But when he slipped it on the jacket molded perfectly around his narrow torso. Still, he shyly poked his head out from the curtain, "I don't know, hyung."

Jaebum just beckoned to him, "Let me see."

Junior walked out trying to adjust the jacket. He approached the large mirror outside the dressing room and looked at himself again. Behind him, Jaebum was smiling, "You have to get it."

"But when would I wear it?"

"Whenever you want. At the coffee shop or to the beach if you really want to. Or if you go clubbing."

Junior scoffed, "When would I go clubbing?"

"I can take you clubbing," Jaebum said, tone completely serious as their eyes met in the mirror. A thrill of excitement sparked through Junior's body at the thought of spending more alone time with Jaebum, "Okay, then I'll get it."

 

 

 

The day had finally come and all the staff of Wang Cafe-which was really only 5 people-were hustling outside of Jackson's large van. Everyone was bundled up in layers upon layers of sweaters and scarves, lugging around chairs into the open back of the van. Jackson had run to the corner store to buy cans of beer. Meanwhile, Yugyeom and Bambam were stuffing the van with as much food and soft drinks that their arms could carry.

After they finished loading, they piled eagerly into the van. Bambam and Yugyeom fought for who got shot gun, because shot gun was in control of music. Though, Yugyeom gave in to Bambam's brutal use of aegyo after 2 minutes. As Yugyeom slid into the back seat with Junior and Jaebum, they whispered in unison, "You are so whipped." Which caused Yugyeom to protest for the next 40 minutes.

Bambam had quite a diverse taste in music. He played everything from Exo's latest hit to the current song that was playing-Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus. Bambam belted out loud to the lyrics in clumsy English and Jackson was quick to join him. Yugyeom shouted over them, "Do you even know what you're saying?"

Bambam shouted back, "Not even close." and continued to sing along. Yugyeom shook his head and laughed. He too started to sing along and wouldn't stop pestering Junior to join them in their fun. Junior eventually gave in and copied the maknae's English, the words feeling foreign yet strangely familiar in his mouth, "So I put my hands up they're playing my song!" He motioned to Jaebum to finish the lyrics with him but Jaebum said, "I'm not that good at English."

"Doesn't matter, just try." Junior poked him. "It's fun. Come on Jaebummieeee..."

Yugyeom choked when he heard the nickname and leaned over Junior to give Jaebum a strange look, "Jaebumie?"

Jaebum sent him a glare that said he better stop talking if he wanted to live. He looked reluctant, but Junior kept poking his side and Jaebum didn't want Junior start calling him more embarrassing nicknames in front of everyone else-he had a reputation to uphold after all. In a quiet voice Jaebum sang, "Moving my hips like yeah..."

The corner of Junior's eyes crinkled up with glee and he chanted, "Louder!"

The smile on Junior's face seemed to make Jaebum fully give in and he started to scream-sing, "I got my hands up! They're playin' my song! I know I'm gonna be OK!"

"We could totally be in a band guys!" Jackson exclaimed.

Yugyeom gave him an incredulous look, "That's an awful idea."

"Shut up, it's a genius idea. I could be the rapper." Jackson insisted.

"Oh, I want to be a rapper too then!" Bambam agreed. And then everyone burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of their idea. So they just continued to roar out the lyrics and pound their fists on the dashboard to the beat of the song, "SO I PUT MY HANDS UP. THEY'RE PLAYING MY SONG. THE BUTTERFLIES FLY AWAY. I'M NODDIN' MY HEAD LIKE YEAR. MOVIN' MY HIPS LIKE YEA."

Junior had to clutch Jaebum's arm for support because he couldn't catch his breath in between giggles. Jaebum didn't seem to mind and turned to meet his eyes as he sang, Jaebum's eyes had disappeared into beautiful crescents moons, teeth showing in his gummy smile. Junior continued with, "I know I'm gonna be OK." And as cheesy as Junior thought it sounded, he felt like he was falling in love in that moment

His hair was flying everywhere and he was pretty sure he'd wake up with a sore throat tomorrow. But even with the kids and Jackson screaming in the background loud enough to make his ear drums burst, he felt happy-like he found a home. Despite the chilly winter air blasting in from the open windows-with Jaebum's smile being the prettiest he had ever seen, and their hands brushing together in between them-Junior had never felt warmer than in that moment.

 

 

 

It was until later, when everyone voices had grown raspy from all the singing and they began to doze off, that Junior realized he had been able to understand what the English lyrics meant perfectly fine. For the rest of the ride, Junior couldn't sit still in his seat, mushed in between a sleeping Yugyeom and Jaebum. With the discovery that he just might be able to understand and speak English, Junior's mind spun in circles at what else he was missing out on.

During the day Junior was content with the family he had found among the staff of Wang Cafe, but a night he spent time wondering about his real family. Did he have parents sick with worry about his disappearance? Were there any close friends that missed him? Did he have a boyfriend that was frantically looking for him? All these questions made him queasy with guilt.

Here he was enjoying the life he had created around the cafe, meanwhile he might have loved ones suffering in some of other part of Korea because they think he's dead. Junior felt even more remorseful because it wasn't like he was actively trying to figure out his past. Jackson had offered to take him to the hospital on several occasions or to ask for help from a private investigator but Junior refused, claiming it was an expense he couldn't afford at the moment. While it was a valid excuse, the main reason Junior avoided getting help for his memory loss was...fear.

What if his old life was miserable? Maybe that's why he ended up on the side walk in a remote town. Something painful must have happened to him. Junior was terrified of going back and losing the happiness he had established in the cafe.

He doesn't think that he would be able to leave the friends he had made behind. Jackson had become like an older brother to him. Yugyeom and Bambam were practically his children. And then there was Jaebum. There was no way Junior could ever leave Jaebum behind. Over the course of a few months, Junior had grown the closest to Jaebum-he was the closest thing he had to a best friend.

Although, his feelings towards the older man weren't exactly platonic, at all. Junior knew that he had a ridiculous superficial crush on Jaebum when they first began training. But amidst all the time they spent together Junior got to know Jaebum personally. He discovered the complexity of Jaebum's personality. That the man could be stoic one minute but impossibly endearing in the next second. There was also that underlying passion in all the things Jaebum did which Junior found very attractive. Soon, Junior's itty-bitty feelings developed into something a lot stronger-something he was scared to put a name to.

So he stewed with all these thoughts until the van rumbled to a stop.

 

 

As expected, the beach was completely empty so Jackson drove the van right up to the shore. They opened the trunk and began to unload all of their equipment. Blankets and chairs were set up in a circle, a few feet away from the crashing waves. The coolers and bags of food were hauled out onto the sand.

Jackson sunk into one of the chairs and opened a bag of pastries to eat but Bambam had snatched it. What resulted was a game of tag. Bambam and Yugyeom teamed up by tossing the bag between the two of them as they ran down the beach. Jackson sprinted after them screeching that if they didn't give him back his special pastries made from organic flour, he would cut their paychecks.

When Junior stepped out onto the sand, he welcomed the blast of fresh ocean breeze. It helped clear his head a little of the muddled thoughts that collected during the car ride. There was bite in the air and he was instantly thankful for wearing the white sweater from the shop. He settled down on one of the blankets and kicked off his shoes. Jaebum had gone to find something in the van and when he came back his hands held a small professional camera.

Junior perked up, "Are you going to take pictures?"

Jaebum looked kind of shy, "Yeah, do you want to come along?"

"Of course." Junior rushed to get back up. He gave the sand a dubious look before kicking off his socks as well. The sand was cold and gritty beneath his bare feet but he didn't mind, he never really minded when it came to Jaebum.

According to Jaebum, the sun was about set which meant there was perfect lightning for all sort of pictures. They strolled along the shore, Junior standing back as Jaebum bent down to get different angles of anything along the way: from seashells, to crabs, to the waves themselves. They didn't talk much, but Junior had learned to appreciate the easy and comfortable silences with Jaebum.

Junior came across some sea glass and he held up to the diminishing sunlight to catch the light. The shutter of a camera went off behind him. Junior whipped around to see Jaebum standing there, camera raised and a sheepish look on his face. Bashfully Jaebum scratched the back of his head, "Sorry, photographer's instinct to take pictures of whatever feels right at the moment."

"Aw, hyung. If you wanted me to be your model you could have just asked." Junior could never pass up the opportunity to tease.

Jaebum pursued his lips, he refused to be embarrassed, "I wasn't-"

But Junior was already attached to the idea. He posed dramatically, "Come on, take pictures of me."

The corner of Jaebum's mouth twitched with an impending grin, "Okay, but you have to look natural. Not ridiculous."

"Yes, sir." Junior mock saluted to Jaebum, and this time the corner of Jaebum's mouth did pull into a full grin.

For the next hour or so, Junior posed for Jaebum. Posing meant Junior skipping around in the water with his jeans rolled up to his knees. He would occasionally fling sand into the air and twirl around in languid circles. Jaebum called him ridiculous 4 more times, but Junior claimed this was his natural self sometimes, he couldn't be serious all the time. Once Junior got tired of running around he collapsed onto the sand. He laid back and stretched out his body like starfish, making sand angels. Junior felt a bit self conscious with Jaebum's gaze constantly on him, but Jaebum reassured him he was doing a great job. Jaebum followed each and every one of his movements, the camera clicked away in succession-not stopping once since Junior first suggested to be his model.

Eventually Jaebum declared he had run out of memory and Junior asked how many pictures he had taken. Jaebum had casually said walking back to the van, "Oh just a few hundred," leaving Junior gaping after him.

With Jaebum's camera safely stored away in the van, they went back to stand by the water, staring out into the horizon. On a whim Jaebum kicked some water onto Junior's legs.

"Im Jaebum, don't you dare. These clothes are new and the water is cold."

But there was already a mischievous glint in Jaebum's eyes, "Do you have a change of clothes?"

"Well yes but why-" Junior didn't get to finish his sentence before Jaebum was cupping his hands and dipping them into the ocean to bring up water crashing onto Junior. Junior shrieked as the icy cold droplets rolled in between the layers of his clothes and settled into his skin.

"Oh, it's game on!" Junior shouted as he launched himself onto Jaebum so he fell right on his into the shallow water.

Jaebum let out a, "Yah!" and he scrambled through the water to chase a giggling Junior.

After an intense water fight, and changing into new clothes, Junior and Jaebum joined the rest of the group, who had set up a small campfire on the beach. They all settled into chairs with blankets wrapped around themselves to fight off the chilly air. Jaebum passed around beers just as Bambam suggested a round of Truth or Dare-everyone groaned.

"One round. And only because I'm too tired to do anything else." Jackson said.

Bambam got dared to do a rendition of So Hot by the Wonder Girls, while Yugyeom was dared to jump into the freezing ocean in just his boxers. Jackson choose truth and confessed his most embarrassing childhood memory, which involved him walking in on a teacher ing. Jaebum also choose truth, and the maknaes had him confess who he thought was the most attractive out of all of them.

Jaebum adamantly objected to answer until Bambam threatened to get Jackson to dump him into the cold water fully clothed. Wearing his last change of clothes, Jaebum relented and ended up mumbling his answer, "Junior." Jackson hooted at the same time Junior's face went bright red. Jaebum quickly tried to salvage his dignity, "Just cause I've known the rest of you too long, so you all look like babies to me."

When it came to Junior's turn, he didn't trust Yugyeom's evil grin to choose truth. He knew the maknaes thought he had a crush on Jaebum, which wasn't really a lie, but what if they made him confess-Junior wasn't planning on revealing such information anytime soon. So he settled for a dare. How bad could it be? Maybe they would make him eat sand or something. Yugyeom leaned forward, his evil grin only growing stronger as he said, "Junior-hyung, I dare you to do a y dance."

"A y dance?" Junior stammered.

"Yes! Do it, hyung," Bambam cheered him on. Jackson showed his approval by starting to beat box. Junior glared between the maknaes, who were obviously plotting together. Grumbling he slowly took off his blanket and got up. "Hurry up!" Yugyeom said and Junior made a cutting throat motion towards him.

Well, at least they didn't dare him to kiss Jaebum. He tapped his foot to the beat of Jackson's beat boxing. He let his cardigan fall and pool around his elbows as he began to do some simple body rolls. Little by little Junior gained confidence, he closed his eyes to let his body move naturally. He spread his legs so that he could bend his knees a little as  he moved his hips in slow circles.

Once the dance ended, Jackson wolf whistled and Bambam clapped loudly. Junior instantly regretted all his life choice and covered his face bashfully. He sneaked a glance at Jaebum through his fingers. Something in his gut twisted when he saw Jaebum's dark, hooded eyes trailing after him-his lips glistened as if he had them. But once Jaebum realized he had been caught staring, he quickly averted his gaze to the beer can in his lap. Junior tried to calm down his heart beat as he returned to his seat.

The sun was long gone by then, replaced with a inky black-blue sky. Jackson declared that it was too late to start driving back. They wouldn't pack up yet, so they could all fit in the van to sleep. Jackson stretched himself out in the front across the driver and passenger seat. Bambam and Yugyeom spooned in the middle row (Junior wasn't even surprised). Meanwhile Jaebum and Junior took the empty room at the back of the van. It had been a long day, so Junior fell asleep as soon as he rested his head on his makeshift pillow made out of jackets.

 

 

 

 

He's sitting in the corner of his bed, clutching a pillow so hard that his knuckles are turning white. There are loud foot steps outside the door, they seem to shake the house as well as his body. The surroundings are unfamiliar, yet familiar at the same time. The knob on the door shakes with the effort of someone on the other side trying to get in. An ominous mood descends over the room. Tears are slipping past his eyes by the time the door is knocked off it's hinges. He still doesn't really understand what's going on.

There is tall man standing in the door way, well built, like he could knock out a guy in one punch-and he just might with the way he is glaring. The man looks strikingly like Junior. Same eyes, with crinkles around the edges, but it's not friendly, they are menacing.

The man stomps over to the bed and yanks him forward by the ankle. Junior scrambles to remain upright and puts his hands up-an automatic gesture.

"You think you can defy me?" The man's spit flies everywhere. "You think I don't know what you're up to when you hang out with that boy."

"W-we d-don't do anything. He's not like that."

"Not a ?"

He flinches at the word and wants a hole to swallow him up, so he can disappear forever."N-no, he's normal." Junior swallows the words bitterly down his throat. "It's just me...that's like this."

The man's face goes red and he swings a fist into Junior's nose. Drops of blood fall onto his blankets-another pair of bed sheets ruined Junior thinks to himself. There are stars in his vision as he tries to regain consciousness.

There's a second set of footsteps clambering up the stairs, lighter, softer, and Junior feels himself relax just a little at the sound. It's a woman this time, short, black hair pooling at her shoulders. Her eyes are red and puffy as she comes up to grab the man's arm, "Please, don't do this to him." But the man just rips his arm from her grip.

The women raised her voice, "You're not even his real father. You have not right."

"Yea, well his real father is dead. When you signed those marriage papers, he became my son. And my son isn't going to be of one those gay s."

"Watch your language." The woman scolds him and when she glances at Junior, the look in her eyes is heart-breakingly sad. Somehow Junior knows she is helpless-can't do anything to help him.Junior feels himself take off from the bed and run outside from the awful house. He keeps running and running, only stopping when he feels like he can't breathe anymore.

Without knowing it, his feet have taken him to a playground. There's already a boy waiting for him there. The boy has light, brown hair tucked into light, gray baseball cap, there's a gray hoodie layered with a mustard sweater swallowing his small frame. He's stunning, just breathing and standing there. When the boy turns around and sees Junior, he frowns.

"Junior-ah. What happened?" his hands come up to touch the blossoming bruises on his face-Junior doesn't flinch away from the boy's touch instead he melts into it.

"The usual." Tears are pricking at the edge of his eyes again. Not a second later, there are strong arms enveloping him in a tight hug. Even though the boy is shorter than Junior, he has somehow managed to cradle Junior's face into his chest. His voice rumbles as he says, "Don't listen to him. There's nothing wrong with you." The soft pads of his thumbs come up to at the edges of Junior's eyes, as Junior croaks out, "It's hard, hyung."

"You can stay at my house if you need to. I won't let him hurt you. I won't ever leave you. I promise."

The boy takes Junior's hand and keeps murmuring reassurances in his. The boy takes him to get ice cream, in an effort to distract Junior, the boy never lets go of his hand-not even once.

The moment doesn't last for long. Because Junior registers he doesn't know the boy's name and opens his mouth to ask. The question upsets the boy and it's as if a switch has been flipped. Junior's vision flickers black, the dream sequence is ruined. The boy is crying now-practically wailing, "You don't remember me?" Before Junior can say anything the boy is slipping through his finger tips like fine mist and the park around them is fading away. It takes a minute for Junior to realize he is screaming, "Come back", into a black abyss.

 

 

 

 

"Junior...Junior...JUNIOR" A voice broke right through his nightmare and Junior shot up from his pile of blankets. There was cold sweat running down his back as he drew in shaky, unsteady breathes.

Next to him, Jaebum fixed him with a worried expression, "Are you okay? You were whimpering and crying in your sleep."

"I...it-it was just a bad dream." But what was that? It felt too vivid to be just a dream...was it a memory? Oh God, were those really his parents? He felt sick. And that boy...There were too many things too process.

"Junior you look pale and God, you're shaking." Jaebum looked slightly frantic at Junior's current state. He crawled over to Junior and draped his own wool blanket over Junior. "I'm fine. I think I just need to go back to sleep." Junior reassured him.

"Okay...tell me if you need anything." Jaebum face was still creased with concern, but he could tell Junior didn't want to push the subject any further. So, Jaebum just curled up next to Junior and drifted back to sleep.

Junior wished he could do the same, but every time he closed his eyes images of the angry man and the crying boy flashed through his mind.