Chapter 3

On the road to happiness

Junior began to notice exactly how popular Jaebum was among the customers, specifically the ones who were teenage girls.

They were always flirting with Jaebum, always. Strangely, Jaebum was pretty immune to their flirting techniques. He never flirted back and instead settled on polite small talk, nothing more. Junior wondered if Jaebum was really that oblivious or if he was just playing up the cool and chic persona.

It was mid afternoon on a Thursday and there were crowds of school girls lurking, waiting for a specific barista-the one and only Im Jaebum. There was a particular girl, with long brown hair and doey eyes that approached Jaebum. Her flirting attempts were evident, she twirled her hair, batted her eye lashes and giggled at anything Jaebum said even if it wasn't funny. Junior couldn't take his eyes of the interaction. A coil of jealousy was settling at the bottom of his stomach when he saw Jaebum smile at her. He barely smiles at me, Junior grumbled to himself.

He knew he was only torturing himself by watching them and as the pair kept talking, his stomach sunk lower and lower. Junior was so distracted that he overflowed one of the lattes with milk and hastily shuffled around to make a new one before anyone noticed. When Jaebum finally came back, Junior had muttered with slight bitterness in his voice, "You could probably get more tips if you flirted back."

Jaebum stared at him utterly confused, "Excuse me?"

"The girl who you were just serving was flirting with you. If you flirted back she would probably tip you more."

"Flirting with me?" Jaebum still looked confused.

Junior gaped at Jaebum, aish he really was clueless, "Yes! How can you not tell???"

"Are you jealous?" Jaebum questioned-amusement creeping onto his face. Junior's heart almost stopped. There was no way Jaebum knew about his tiny (okay maybe not so tiny) crush on him, Junior prided himself in being very subtle.

"Jealous?" Junior squeaked. Great, so much for keeping it cool.

"I'm not interested in any of the girls that come into the shop. They are free for you to woo them."

Oh, oh thank God, Jaebum thought he was jealous of the fact Jaebum was getting all the girls, not because of his tiny-not-so-tiny crush.

"I don't even know why they bother flirting with me." Jaebum shook his head exasperated.

"What?? Do you even know how attractive you are?" Junior babbled without a second thought. He cursed his impulsive brain.

Jaebum's eyebrows rose so high they reached his hairline, "Huh...?"

Junior really didn't want to stick around while Jaebum kept thinking about what he had just said, so he frantically tried to find an excuse, "Ah it looks like we're out of croissants on the display! I'm going to put some more in the oven." He his heel and dashed into the kitchen with a blush high on his cheeks.

 

 

While Yugyeom was like a child who Junior loved to coddle, he also loved to tease Yugyeom relentlessly-specifically when he deserved it.

Yugyeom was sitting on top of a random coffee table, swinging his feet back and forth happily. It wasn't long before Jaebum came along to yell at him to get off the table and attend some of the customers. The kid must have had a death wish because Yugyeom barely acknowledged Jaebum-he just waved his hand, insisting he had to finish snap chatting Bambam first. Jaebum scowl deepened with every passing second. Junior could practically see steam coming out of his ears.

To avoid confrontation, Junior took matters into his own hands and softly called out, "Gyommie, come here." The friendlier tone seemed to catch Yugyeom's attention, he looked up at Junior and sent him a heart with two fingers. Not the response he was hoping for, so Junior raised his hand and flicked the imaginary heart away.

Yugyeom narrowed his eyes and stuck his tongue out. He still made no movement to get up and continued to type away on his phone. Undiscouraged, Junior went up to the table with a wet towel and pretended to wipe it. It was the perfect opportunity to gently nudge Yugyeom off-but Junior seemed to miscalculate his own strength and sent Yugyeom tumbling off and into a couple of chairs.

"Hyung!" Yugyeom cried as he fell to the floor.

"Ah sorry. I was wiping the table and your was in the way." Junior expressed in the most innocent manner.

Yugyeom sent him a glare which clearly said he wasn't buying Junior's excuses. He grumbled something about Junior being meaner around Jaebum.

"Gyommie, come back I said I was sorry! Eomma still loves you!" Junior said without an ounce of remorse or guilt. Behind him, Jaebum was cracking-up and soon his head was tilted back in full blown laughter. Junior was pleased he could make Jaebum look so happy when his usual default expression was a grumpy frown. And when Junior met Jaebum's twinkling eyes, his stomach erupted with those butterflies that all the cliche dramas talked about.

 

The time and dedication that Jaebum put into the coffee shop was admirable. Next to Jackson, he was the hardest worker. On most nights Jaebum was the one who would stay the longest, cleaning up after closing hours.  Junior, who pretty much lived there, would join Jaebum in the back to wash dishes and wipe down counters in a companionable silence.

Once Jaebum decided that Junior wasn't a psychopath and actually a hard worker like himself, he would stay a little longer than usual to chat with Junior in the empty coffee shop. They found they had things in common such as sharing a passion for reading and Harry Potter. (Junior discovered his secret passion for reading when tidying up the back room. He had found several boxes filled with books under a desk. There wasn't much for Junior to do after work, so he just started to read everyday to pass time. When he found the Harry Potter series among the stacks of boxes, he couldn't put it down and finished all 7 books in 2 weeks. It made Junior wonder if he had been a librarian before he lost his memory.)

During the times Jaebum stayed after closing hours to keep Junior company, they also ended up having countless deep conversations about everything and anything ranging from aliens to how the universe was created. Beneath the chic persona was just a nerdy boy who loved to speculate about everything. With each conversation, Junior liked Jaebum more and more. Once you got past the stony wall Jaebum put up, he was very good company.

Out of everyone at Wang Cafe Junior spent the most time with Jaebum, even after his training ended. If they weren't talking late into the night, they were together at work, doing all their errands as a pair. Junior felt surprisingly comfortable in Jaebum's presence so he quickly latched onto him and considered him a good friend.

There was particular night where they had just closed the coffee shop and were sitting on the floor in front of the register, bone-tired after a busy day. It had taken four hours to wash and store all the dishes that had been used. They decided it was appropriate to treat themselves to hot chocolate in paper cups (too lazy to wash anything else) and chocolate filled croissants (Junior's and Jaebum's favorite dessert).

It was getting late but Jaebum made no motion to pack up his things and leave. Instead, Jaebum got them a second serving of hot chocolate and dessert claiming, "We burned all the calories working." They were wrapping up their discussion on conspiracy theories-the new deep topic for that night-when Junior asked where all the pretty photographs that lined the coffee shop walls came from.

Jaebum actually blushed at this and mumbled, "I took all of them."

Junior swiveled around to look directly at Jaebum, hot chocolate sloshing dangerously in his cup, "You did? Wow, hyung. They are really good. I didn't know you were a photographer."

Jaebum's blush extended into his neck, "Well, I'm not a professional photographer. It's just a hobby."

"You have to show me more of your work."

"It's not that special, really." Jaebum tried to feign nonchalance but you could tell he was secretly pleased at the compliment.

Junior rolled his eyes, "I refuse to believe that, you always pour your heart and soul into whatever you do here at the coffee shop. I doubt it's much different with photography. Have you ever thought about a career in it?"

For the first time (but certainly not the last) Junior caught sadness flicker across Jaebum's eyes, "I was going to but circumstances led me to the coffee shop."

Now Junior was curious, "If you don't mind me asking, what were those circumstances?"

When Jaebum hesitated to respond Junior almost took back what he said, but then Jaebum started to talk, "My original plan was to go to college to major in photography and minor in business. My parent saw that I had potential and were willing to pay my tuition. But then-" Jaebum paused to take a deep breath.

He face was scrunched up in discomfort most likely due to the memory he was about to reveal. Junior couldn't help but to reach out and lay his hand on top of Jaebum hand's resting on his lap, "You don't have to continue if you don't want to."

Jaebum seemed startled by Junior's touch, but continued anyways, "No it's okay. I can keep going...I had been going out with a guy for a few weeks at the end of high school. We were kissing in my basement and my parents weren't suppose to come back until the next day." Jaebum closed his eyes before he kept going, "My dad found us. I never saw him so angry. He beat me so hard I thought I was going to die. They kicked me out that same day. Told me no son of theirs was going to be gay. I had no home, no money, nowhere to go. Luckily I was friends with Jackson and his family was very welcoming. They offered me a place to stay and a job at this coffee shop. When his parents moved to another town, Jackson took over the shop and I was his right wing man. I owe a lot to him."

Junior's heart almost broke in to two pieces at the raw and tender story, "Jackson is saint huh, offering a place to stay to all lost souls."

Jaebum's mouth which had been pressed in a hard line at the beginning of the story, softened at Junior's words, "Only sometimes."

"Thanks for confiding in me, and I'm sorry that happened to you," Junior squeezed Jaebum's hand. Part of him was reeling at the revelation that Jaebum's liked guys, but he was more so focused on the tragedy that Jaebum faced. It saddened him that such a wonderful man like Jaebum had to suffer so much to end up where he was now.

To Junior's surprise, Jaebum turned his palm face up and squeezed Junior's hand back (cue those damn butterflies, Junior thought), "Thanks for listening."

"Anytime, hyung." Junior responded sincerely. They stayed like that for a while-hands loosely tangled together, sides pressed up against each other for support. The only sound to be heard was the tick-tock of the clock and the hum of the refrigerator running. The serene atmosphere caused sleep to wash over them like tidal wave and Jackson found them the next morning, fast asleep, curled up into each other on the floor.

 

 

As Junior spent more and more time with the staff of Wang Cafe, he had a growing suspicion that Yugyeom and Bambam had gigantic crushes on each other but were blind to it.

A typical work day consisted of Yugyeom staring at Bambam adoringly, Bambam finding a home on Yugyeom's lap every time he sat down, and Yugyeom constantly wrapping his arms around the shorter boy like it was his life mission to cuddle Bambam. They were attached at the hip and knew each other so well-to the point they finished each other sentences-that Junior was astounded they still couldn't tell they had crushes on each other.

They even did couple-ly things. Countless times Junior had caught them linking hands unconsciously and Yugyeom giving Bambam forehead kisses before they parted ways in the evenings. There was a particular amusing moment, when Bambam had his arms around Yugyeom's waist while Yugyeom fixed his hair. A young girl that was getting up to grab a few napkins commented, "You make the cutest couple."

Which resulted in the two maknaes quickly untangling themselves and flailing as they both shouted, "We aren't a couple!"

Jaebum and Junior were manning the register at the time and Jaebum rolled his eyes to the back of his head. "Happens at least once a week."

Junior on the other hand was too busy admiring the two cute moles above Jaebum's eyes to pay any attention to the commotion and asked, "Hmm? What happens?"

"People mistaking Bambam and Yugyeom for a couple."

Junior actually laughed, "I'm not even surprised. Why don't they just date?"

"I guess they're both too scared to make a move."

"Aish, they should just take a leap of faith. It's obvious how much they care for each other. One of them needs to take a risk and put themselves out there. Or else they will never know if they could have worked out." Junior relented.

After his long spiel, Junior continued to organize the bills at the register and hum under his breath. He felt eyes watching him so he looked up and caught Jaebum staring at him with an unreadable yet intense expression. Their gazes locked before Junior finally cleared his throat and said, "Um I think there's a customer," and pointed to a man patiently waiting at the counter. Jaebum snapped into his customer service mode and turned away from Junior, who had to fan himself because the room felt a few degrees hotter.

 

 

Later that day that Junior walked into the back room where he sleeps for a small break. He almost screamed in shock when he saw two people already there. After recovering from the scare he realized it was just Bambam and Yugyeom, not crazy axe murders. The most interesting thing to note was the fact Bambam was sprawled on the couch, arms pinned down, while Yugyeom straddled him. Hmm, maybe they were already dating, Junior thought.

"Please don't do dirty things on the couch I sleep on every night!" Junior all but wailed.

Bambam and Yugyeom were scrambling apart for a second time that day. "We weren't doing anything," Yugyeom protested even if the blush on his cheeks suggested otherwise.

"We were having a tickle fight. That's all, I swear!" Bambam looked like a boy who had just been caught by his mother.

Never mind, they aren't dating, they are still in denial, Junior concluded. He eyed them skeptically, "Right...well I'm going to go have my break in the storage room then."

"I think Jaebum-hyung is in there too." Bambam piped up, embarrassment fading to give way to a smirk.

"What's that look for?" Junior narrowed his eyes menacingly.

"Oh nothing. I just thought you might want to go spend more alone time with him. You guys have gotten pretty close after all." There was no denying Bambam's tone was suggestive.

Junior flushed, "Well-um,"

Bambam was cackling as he pushed Junior out of the room, "Go to him. He's probably wondering where you are. I swear he's so use to having you around now, that he get this lost look on his face when you aren't with him."

 

 

Sure, Junior and Jaebum were much closer now-a far cry from the enemies they were on the first day-but there were still incidents where they became incredibly awkward around each other. The most recent incident being the day Jaebum saw Junior shirtless. When Junior first settled into the cafe, Jackson had revealed that the back room with the couch use to be a bedroom. There was even a laundry room with a working shower further back into the shop. Apparently when the building was built, the constructors had meant for a someone to live in the coffee shop as they worked.

The "bedroom" and "laundry room" had pretty much remained unused until Junior showed up. It wasn't much, just two old rooms, but Junior wasn't going to complain. It meant that Junior could wash the numerous uniforms he had accumulated as his only source of clothing and he could take nice warm showers.

Junior had just finished taking a long relaxing shower and pulled on a pair of sweat pants that Jackson graciously gave him so he didn't have to sleep in a uniform. (Jackson had wanted to give him more clothes but Junior insisted that he would buy his own clothes once his paychecks accumulated). He didn't bother putting a shirt on because he was completely alone...or so he thought.

When Junior walked out into the hallway to head back to his couch, he heard loud rustling. With extreme caution, Junior silently made his way to the front of the coffee shop and saw a hooded figure rummaging near the register. Junior's first thought was that it was thief that had sneaked in. In a fit of panic he grabbed the closest thing to him, which in this case was a napkin dispenser-it would have to do. He tiptoed stealthy up behind the figure and raised the napkin holder high in his arms. Junior brought the item crashing down onto their covered head praying that he was a boxer before his memory loss and had hidden super strength.

"Ow! What the !" The figure exclaimed. Wait a second...Junior recognized that voice instantly. It was Jaebum.

Jaebum turned around and pulled away his hood to rub the back of his head. "Why did you-oh. You're shirtless." Jaebum finished lamely, his ears going pink as they usually do when he is flustered or embarrassed.

Junior's initial panic had dissipated into anger-what the hell was Jaebum doing scaring him like this-the anger quickly turned to embarrassment though, because indeed he was still shirtless.

"Sorry! I didn't mean to hit you but what wer-" Junior's words caught in his throat when he realized Jaebum wasn't even listening or looking at his face. No, Jaebum's eyes were roaming the expanse of Junior's bare torso with intent. Junior burned under Jaebum's heavy gaze and decided he should put a shirt on if he planned on surviving this conversation.

"Actually, give me a sec." Junior said before sprinting into his room, feeling faint.

 

Several minutes later, Junior had a shirt on and Jaebum had an ice pack pressed to the side of his head as he sat on the couch. Junior finally spoke up, "What were you doing? You scared the out of me."

"I forgot my house keys on the counter so I came back to get them." Jaebum winced as he readjusted the ice pack, "God, since when are you so brutal?"

"I thought you were a thief," Junior objected.

Jaebum grumbled, "Good to know our coffee shop is protected because of your handy skills at throwing napkin dispensers."

With a grimace Junior said, "Again, I am so sorry. Here let me see the damage."

Junior placed his knees on the couch beside Jaebum. He leaned onto Jaebum's shoulder to keep himself steady and he tilted Jaebum's head into his own chest for a better look. "Well, it doesn't look too bad. If you keep icing it tonight and tomorrow I don't think it will swell that much."

As Junior flopped back onto the couch in a sitting position and he was taken aback by Jaebum's rather pink face. Why was he flustered now?

"I should get going." Jaebum said without meeting Junior's eyes.

"Alright, hyung. Drive home safely and don't scare me like that again." Junior patted Jaebum's knee, but Jaebum flinched slightly at the touch. Well that hurt. Jaebum spewed out a quick Goodnight before bustling out the door without a backwards glance. Junior pursed his lips and wondered why the air had gotten so tense and awkward.