Chapter 5

On the road to happiness

Junior had tried his best to push the nightmare incident behind him and chalked it up to drinking too much beer. That became increasingly difficult when all he could think about was his dad's (or step-dad's?) frightening stance and the distraught look on the boy's face when Junior couldn't remember his name. The question was, was the dream really just a beer induced nightmare or was it a piece of his memory trying to resurface.

The same scenes had played in his dreams for a few nights in a row. It took an emotional toll on Junior. If he was scared of facing his past before, he was even more scared now. He didn't particularly want to remember more about his parents-except maybe his mother-but not that man. Just that one memory made Junior despise that man. There was some relief in knowing they weren't related.

But it was upsetting to know that his biological father was dead. There were no dreams about his real father. Junior assumed his father died when he was young. He didn't even know how he died and he wondered if he would ever know. There was a small part of Junior that had hoped there was a loving family awaiting his return. Now, he was not so sure. If the man was still in his life-but boy did Junior pray he wasn't-then Junior doubted they were looking for him. It made Junior feel truly alone. Well...maybe not completely alone.

There was a silver lining in each of his dreams-the boy that was always waiting with a warm smile and even warmer embrace. Try as he might, Junior couldn't remember the boy's name or exactly what the boy meant to him. It was infuriating, to say the least. He needed to know. He had a feeling the boy was important.

Despite his inner turmoil, Junior still kept his usual bubbly persona around the cafe. He didn't want the others to worry about him, or ask any questions, especially when he didn't have any answers.

 

 

 

Junior had been too busy frosting a couple dozen cupcakes for an important delivery order, that he completely missed his break by an hour. Jackson was passing by and was surprised see Junior still working. "Hey, you know you can go on break right?" He tapped Junior on the shoulder, "I can finish up here."

Junior only shook his head. "It's fine. I got it," and he continued to pipe frosting with great precision. But when Jackson saw the large, dark circles under Junior's eyes, he had to intervene. "Go on break and get some rest."

"I'm not tired." Junior had to keep himself busy, so that he wouldn't drive himself crazy thinking about the nightmares.

"You're struggling to keep your eyes open." Jackson sounded stern. It was true that Junior was having a hard time staying awake. The reoccurring nightmares were slowly away nights of good sleep.

"I'm wide awake." Junior lied straight through his teeth.

Jackson narrowed his eyes and decided to take matter into his own hands-the well being of his employees was very important to him. So, he looped his arms underneath Junior's knees and easily hoisted him over his shoulder. Junior let out an unattractive squawk and began to pound on his assailant's back with his fists, "What the hell are you doing??"

"Making sure you take a break." Jackson responded with a chirpier voice than one should have at 7 o'clock in the morning. The entire journey to the back room, Junior yelled, "Put me down, I swear to God!" He really hated being manhandled, unless it was Jaebum in that case Junior had no complaints. Speaking of the devil, it didn't take long for Junior's cries of help to make Jaebum materialize in front of them with a cross expression. "Jackson, what are you doing?"

"Ah, Jaebum! I was just making sure Junior went on his break. He was about to pass out."

"What?" Jaebum asked, voice laced with concern.

"Yup, I was just being a good Samaritan."

"Uh-huh. You can put him down now." Jaebum snapped and then added, "Also, it's Jaebum-hyung. We've been over this."

Jackson rolled his eyes. He knew why Jaebum was acting this way, but it wasn't his place to say anything. "Alright, Jaebum, don't get your in a twist. I'm still the owner here." Jaebum grunted in response. Once Jackson left, Jaebum leveled Junior with a serious look, "What's this about you passing out?"

"I just haven't gotten any sleep." Junior shifted from foot to foot nervously.

"Why's that," Jaebum's voice grew soft, "Is everything alright?" Maybe it was Jaebum's caring tone or the fact that Junior was feeling particularly vulnerable lately, but he wanted to confide in Jaebum.

"You know that night at the beach where I woke up crying?" Jaebum's nodded understandingly so Junior continued, "Well, I think-no, I know-it's a memory."

Jaebum eyes widened, "You're remembering?"

"Not really. It just that one memory. And it's not exactly pleasant." Junior started to wring his hands, just talking about it put him on the edge. Jaebum sensed his discomfort and took his hand to lead them to the couch to sit, "What was it about?"

"I...I had an abusive step-father." There was a lump forming in Junior's throat and he desperately tried to swallow it down. Jaebum was instantly reaching out to envelop Junior in his arms, "Junior-ah, I'm so sorry." He rubbed small circles onto Junior's quivering back. Junior ler himself relax in Jaebum's arms. He felt safe. A stark contrast to how he felt in that bedroom in his dreams. Minutes tick by, he might have started crying at one point. He isn't sure. It was all a blur. Before he knows it he was falling asleep with his face tucked into Jaebum's chest. Jaebum let Junior nap and stayed the entire time, his hair.

 

 

 

That night, Junior had another dream. It was a little different. It was no longer filled with the screaming of an abusive step father. Instead it focused on two other people in his life.

The back of his thighs stick to the dining room table he sits on. The lack of air conditioning makes the air feel stuffy around his shoulders. There’s a woman in front of, his mother, who is helping him slide painkillers down his throat as she presses an ice pack to the bruises lining his arms.

A few tear drops fall, heavy with guilt, onto his shorts. They are not his own. He grabs his mother’s shaking hands and says, “It’s not your fault.”

“No, it is. I married him. I made a mistake." Her head is bowed in shame. He lifts his hands to cradle her face. "Eomma, I don't blame you for anything. You are as much of a victim as I am."

"I'll get us out. I made a friend. He's a lawyer and he can help us." Those words light a flicker of hope in his chest. There just might be a light at the end of the tunnel. If he can make it till then.

"That sounds promising." His gaze flickers to the clock hanging in the room. It's almost time. “I have to go to playground in a few minutes.” He tells her.

“Aren’t you too old to be going to the playground.” His mother gives him a knowing smile, tears already drying on her face as the mood shifts, “You’re going to see the boy again aren’t you.”

He flushes with embarrassment, “I don’t know what you mean.”

“It’s okay to tell me. I’m your mother and I will love you regardless.”

“We aren’t-“ He hates having to explain himself. Why can't people just accept the fact that they are close and not question whether it is anything more than friendship?

“I know. But he makes you happy. You should see the way he makes you smile.”

“He is the sunshine in my cloudy life.” Junior grimaces when he realizes he said that out loud. His mother only smiles wider, “Go on to your sunshine.” She teases. “Give him a kiss for me, will you. He deserves it for making my boy so happy.”

 

When he gets to the play ground, the boy hasn’t arrived yet. So, Junior sits in one of the old swings, his not quite fitting inside the children-sized seat. He swings back and forth in a lazy manner. It's a few more minutes before he sees a lanky boy sprinting towards him. The boy looks almost the same from last time. His face has aged a little. Skin drawn taunt over sharp cheekbones and a jawline. His frame is still small but the tank top he is wearing shows off a toned, wiry body. There's one more thing. The boy's hair is bright pink.

When he comes up to Junior, he is bouncing on his heels with excitement. "Do you like my hair, I just dyed it!" 

"I love it." Junior responds. Without really thinking his hands are moving forward to tangle themselves in the pink strands.

"I was so nervous. But I'm glad I did it." The boy keeps talking. Looking at the boy is making Junior's insides feel warm, and there are tingles shooting up his arms when the boy laces their hands together to pull him up from the swings.

"Juniooooor" The boy drawls. "You're spacing out again." The boy is standing so, so close to Junior. On a whim he darts forward to leave a small peck on the boy's cheek. The boy blinks repeatedly with surprise, "What was that for?"

"My mom told me to give you kiss, in her name." For some reason he can no longer meet the boy's gaze without feeling shy. He worries he might have freaked out the boy and curses his stupidity. But then he feels soft hands pinching his cheeks and the boy says, "You're so cute." 

 

They go for a walk around the playground, hands still clasped together. It's such a familiar feeling that Junior figures this is a common habit between them. There is a prominent frown on the boy's face when he lifts Junior's long sleeves to see bruises. Junior finds himself reassuring his friend as well as himself, "My mom said she's trying to get a divorce filed. She got a better lawyer this time."

The boy's hand tightens in Junior's grip, "I hope it works."

"Me too." Junior responds, barely audible. Once again, the boy tries to shift the sinking mood, "Hey, let's race to the book store!"

Junior grins and doesn't say anything back, he just starts to run. The boy shouts after him but quickly gains up on him. He is fast, so fast that he passes Junior effortlessly. They are running through a woodsy area now and Junior loses track of the boy. Panic rises in his chest. "Where are you?" He shouts. "Come back!" The boy is gone. And so are the trees. And so is the ground beneath his feet. Everything is gone. All he can see is black.

 

 

 

While Junior was still uneasy about facing parts of his past, he knew he couldn't put off it forever. He decided he would take baby steps. From the trip to the beach, Junior knew he might have been able to speak English in the past. If he could relearn that skill, then he will have recovered a little piece of his past self. Sure, it wasn't a big part, but baby steps. That's what he need right now. To take things little by little.

He sought out Jackson for help because he had seen the former holding a conversation with a foreign customer in fluent English. Jackson was more than delighted to help, "Of course, I'll teach you. It'll be so much fun!" he had said.

Getting tutoring lessons from Jackson was an interesting ordeal. It consisted of Jackson making up wild memorizing games in order to recover Junior's hidden English skills. As crazy as Jackson's teaching ways were, Junior was actually catching on quickly to the language. Before long, Junior could hold a decent conversation with Jackson in English. It really made him wonder about what he did for a living before the memory loss. Maybe he was an English teacher? A translator? Foreign exchange student? The possibilities were endless.

But getting lessons from Jackson also meant he was spending an increasingly large amount of time with him. By no means was that a bad thing. Jackson was a blast to be with-it just meant Junior's time with Jaebum diminished from little to almost none. When Junior wasn't at lessons, he was working. Holidays were approaching so Junior was bustling from area to area in the coffee shop, no longer needing Jaebum's guidance. Even when Junior closed the shop, Jackson would shoo Jaebum away stating that he would keep Junior company instead. Junior didn't miss the hurt looks Jaebum sent him when he was no longer welcome to stay for late nights.

Junior wanted to say something to Jaebum-like how important Jaebum still was to him. But he was scared of speaking out, lest he say anything that could reveal exactly how infatuated he was with Jaebum. At this point, Junior couldn't even call it a little crush anymore. Not when Jaebum's toothy smile alone sent his heart into overdrive and Jaebum's presence made his knees grow weak.

Was he in love? Maybe. But that mean nothing if Jaebum didn't feel the same way. Sure, Junior was good at reading other people's feelings about each other-like Bambam and Yugyeom's case-but when it came to deciphering how people felt about him, Junior was at a loss. 

Besides Junior really didn't think he was the best person for Jaebum. He was someone with a tangled, dark past. Several times Jaebum had shared little pieces of his childhood with Junior, and Junior was filled with shame when he couldn't share anything back. Junior felt like a terrible mess and he didn't want to drag Jaebum into it.

The distance that Junior placed between them, only seemed to hurt Jaebum more-even if Junior thought he was protecting Jaebum from his mess. The air between them had become tense once again. The maknaes had joked that with Junior's arrival, Jaebum had become a little less grumpy. Now, it seemed that Jaebum had reverted back to sulking around the corners of the coffee shop. Junior had a sinking feeling it was his fault.

One of the many moments that showcased Jaebum's mood swings was the time Junior and Jackson were lounging in the back room during their break. Junior had thrown his legs over Jackson's lap and leaned in close to watch cat videos on Jackson's phone. Jackson's hand was lazily splayed on Junior's lap. The door had swung open to reveal Jaebum. His calm expression immediately melted into one of distaste-like he had on a sour lemon. His jaw jutted out a few inches as his eyes narrowed at the proximity between Junior and Jackson.

"Aren't you suppose to be working right now?" Jaebum ground out between clenched teeth.

Junior tried to swing his legs back onto the ground, but Jackson clamped an arm across his legs effectively preventing any movement. A sly, knowing grin appeared on Jackson's face. "We are on break actually." Jaebum's eyes flitted from Jackson's hand to Junior's face, and Junior felt himself wilting under the fierce gaze.

"Well I need Junior to help me with the register, there's a ton of people coming in." Jaebum said in a steely tone. He his heel and the door slammed shut behind him. Junior gaped after him and wondered what had caused his brooding mood swing this time.

"I think I'm a dead man." Jackson whispered next to him.

"What are you talking about?" Junior turned to him in confusion.

Jackson ruffled his hair, "Ah, so young and innocent."

 

 

 

When Junior finally joined Jaebum at the register, there was still palpable tension in the air. Junior attempted to loosen things up by cracking an old running joke between the staff. "I can't believe Jackson took Bambam out for meat without me again!"

The joke seemed to have the opposite affect. Jaebum's shoulders tensed as he turned towards Junior with a calculated gaze, "Do you have a crush on Jackson?"

Junior dropped all change he was trying to put into the register. He was picking up pennies from the floor as he said, "Jesus, no. He's like my brother."

Jaebum didn't look the least bit reassured by Junior's response. "Then why are you jealous of Bambam? And why do you spend so much time together??"

Exasperated, Junior said, "It's called friend jealousy! And well we've just gotten closer lately." For a minute Junior thought he saw Jaebum's eye twitch. He worried he said something to upset Jaebum again, and that the man would close up on him. But what Jaebum said next, surprised him.

"I can take you out for meat." The way Jaebum said it, made it sound more of a command than a suggestion.

"What?" Junior spluttered, he cursed his heart for fluttering.

"So you'll stop complaining." Jaebum explained and Junior's heart calmed down again. Right, of course. Why else would Jaebum offer to take him out for meat? It's not like Junior was wishing for some other reason. There was a pause before Jaebum spoke again, "We haven't hung out in a while." The slightest hint of forlorn had crept into Jaebum's voice and it made Junior's heart ache in ways he couldn't explain.

"O-okay. Let's go tonight." And Junior found his breath stolen away by the small, precious smile on Jaebum's face.

 

 

 

In order to distract himself of all the confusion of dreams and feelings, Junior immersed himself even more in his work. At this point, he had racked up a good amount of cash in paychecks and generous tips. Eventually, Bambam dragged Junior on an impromptu shopping spree because his motto was, "Treat yo self!"

The two had very different tastes in fashion. Bambam would pull a variety of colorful print shirts and sweaters from the clothing racks. Meanwhile, the pants he grabbed were usually skin tight and covered in either rips or unconventional zippers. At first Junior questioned how Bambam would manage to mix and match the crazy items he had picked. Yet, Bambam never failed to look fashionable and stunning each time he walked out of the dressing room with a new outfit. It truly left Junior in awe.

Junior's fashion was the anti-thesis of Bambam's fashion. It was more subtle. Junior opted for simple button ups and slacks. Bambam commented on how boring those clothes were and insisted on Junior stepping out of his comfort zone. It took some aeygo and a few promises of homemade kimchi pancakes for Bambam to convince Junior to buy matching leather pants with him.

Bambam even persuaded Junior into buying himself a phone so that he could stay in touch with the staff in case of emergencies or if he just wanted to hang out. As Bambam listed off the staff phone numbers for Junior to put in his phone, he had peeked over Junior's shoulder, "Why does Jaebum have a heart emoji next to his name?"

"Stop snooping!" Junior cried and Bambam cackled at his expense.

 

 

 

The next day, Junior and Bambam wore their matching leather pants to work. Luckily Wang Cafe didn't have a strict dress code-the only real rule was "don't show up ". So, Bambam sauntered confidently into work that day with skin tight leather pants. When Yugyeom saw him, his jaw fell open comically and Junior had to tap it close as he walked by.

"Instead of ogling Bambam all day, why don't you compliment him?" Junior casually suggested to Yugyeom while they washed dishes in the back. The cup that Yugyeom had been washing fell with a loud clatter to the bottom of the sink. "I'm not ogling!" Yugyeom objected.

Completely ignoring Yugyeom's denial, Junior said, "He'll appreciate it if you do. Trust me."

The universe seemed to be playing into Junior's favor because not a second later, Bambam walked in through the back door from his break. Junior didn't waste time and shoved Yugyeom towards Bambam hissing, "Go!"

Yugyeom almost fell on top of Bambam as he skidded to a stop. His face grew pink as he stammered out, "Y-you l-look really nice today."

The sudden compliment seemed to startle Bambam at first, but then his face broke out into a wide smile. "Thanks, Gyeomie." He stood up on his tiptoes to plant a loud kiss on Yugyeom's cheek before scurrying away. Junior chortled at the way Yugyeom turned from a light pink to a flaming red color that matched his newly dyed hair.

 

 

 

However, Bambam wasn't the only receiving attention because of the pants. That day Junior was in charge of serving drinks and cleaning up at tables, so he had a lot of customer interactions. It was only early afternoon but Junior had already faced an onslaught of wolf whistles and sleazy grins from guys and girls alike. He slammed a tray filled with empty coffee cups onto the back counter-a customer had "accidentally" brushed their hand across his for the third time that day.

Jaebum had been silently brewing as well as he observed the situation from the register. He took off his bomber jacket and hustled over to where Junior was standing. "Tie this around your waist." Jaebum the item in Junior's face.

"Um...." Junior didn't seem to understand what Jaebum meant, so Jaebum whipped the jacket around Junior's hips and pulled him in closer to tie it. "W-what?" Junior's breath caught in his throat at the sudden close proximity.

"I'm covering you up." Jaebum said with a pointed look and Junior finally got the message.

An older guy that was passing by shouted, "Hey, you're covering up the view."

Jaebum's head snapped up and growled, "ert," at the guy's retreating back. He took a step forward and Junior yanked him back, "Don't talk to the customers like that!"

"He was being creepy!"

Junior bit back a smile at the thought of Jaebum being protective of him. He took the opportunity to throw his arms around Jaebum, "My knight in shinning armor. You are saving my dignity."

"It's, uh, no big deal." Jaebum said meekly.

 

 

 

Junior had grown tired of watching Bambam and Yugyeom dancing around each other. At first it had been very amusing, but now it was just frustrating. He cared about both of them deeply and just wanted to see them happy. And this whole pull and push thing they had going on wasn't going to make them happy so he approached Bambam, "If you don't tell Yugyeom you like him, I will."

Bambam whipped around with a panic in his eyes, "I don't-."

Junior held a hand up, "Save it. I'm practically your mother. I can tell when you're lying."

Bambam's shoulders sagged, "I can't tell him. I don't want to lose my best friend."

"Pabo. What makes you think he doesn't return you feelings?"

"I'm scared to risk it. Being in love with your best friend is a difficult thing." Strangely, when Bambam said that, Junior felt a dull ache at the back of his head.

"You have to be the one to take the risk. Yugyeom is too shy to say anything. Come on, I'll help you." Junior tried to encourage him.

"How?" Bambam gnawed on his bottom lip nervously.

"I have an idea." Junior rubbed his hands like he was plotting to take over the world.

 

Junior found Jaebum in the kitchen. He threw furtive glances around as he told Jaebum, "I need a favor." He had the cutest idea for how Bambam would confess. Except, he couldn't do it alone. "What is it?" Jaebum already looked suspicious.

"You're the best at latte art. I need you to make me a latte that says 'I love you'. And quickly, it's really important."  Junior whispered.

Jaebum went slightly pale and gave a firm, "No."

"Why not!?!" Junior threw his hands in the air. He was not about to give up on his master plan.

Jaebum responded rather loudly, "I'm not helping you confess to a customer!"

Junior sent panicked glances around, hoping Yugyeom wasn't around to hear anything that could clue him in, "Keep your voice done! And no it's not for a customer, it's for Bambam."

"You're confessing to Bambam??" Jaebum growled.

This pabo-hyung, Junior thought. "Oh my God, it's for Bambam to give to Yugyeom." Junior groaned.

Jaebum looked strangely relieved, "Ooooh, okay. Then, I'll help you."

Junior felt like banging his head on the table at that point.

 

When the latte was finally complete and handed safely to Bambam, Junior, Jaebum, and Jackson all hid behind the counter with bated breathes. They cautiously watched as Bambam approached Yugyeom who was leaning casually against one of the tables listening to music. The poor guy looked so nervous. Bambam's hands were shaking so hard, that some of the latte sloshed onto the floor.

Yugyeom received the latte with a bewildered expression and popped out both his earphones, "Bambam...what's this?"

Bambam looked like he was about to faint on the spot but he took a deep breath to steady himself, "Kim Yugyeom. I have known you since we were in our diapers. I've seen you at your worst. Like when you busted your lip after letting go of your bike's handlebars cuz you thought it was cool. And when that girl stood you up for senior prom, you got so drunk you puked all over my suit. And then when you accidentally dyed your hair green so everyone started calling you seaweed.

But I also saw you at your best. Like when you won dancing competitions and stood on stage like a god. And when you got into your dream university so we celebrated by getting matching tattoos. Or like when we sneaked into that rich people party. You were wearing a maroon suit and we slow danced under fancy chandeliers and . I thought you were the most beautiful person I laid eyes on. I still think that.

Somewhere along the way, I fell in love with you. Madly, and deeply. It's actually terrifying how much I love you. But I'm willing to take the leap with you. So, will you?"

Bambam looked slightly winded after his long speech. The latte Yugyeom was holding had clattered to the ground and Bambam winced, suddenly looking petrified at what he had done. But then Yugyeom was rushing forward to grasp Bambam's face between his hands, and pressed their lips together in a feverish kiss. The moment was incredibly tender and sweet, even if Yugyeom was practically devouring Bambam on the spot.

The three hyungs behind the counter jumped up and started whooping like school boys. At some point Jackson threw confetti into the air, from who knows where. Junior and Jaebum beamed, proud at their match making skills.

 

 

 

 

On a mundane Thursday morning, one of the scariest moments of Junior's life happened. He was walking across the street from the cafe to a fast food place to grab a quick lunch. At that precise instant, he got a text message from Jackson. So, he looked down to his phone. For only one second. One second was enough for Junior to be distracted and not see the car coming towards him.

In the blink of an eye, all hell breaks loose. There are tires screeching. A hand shoves Junior to the side with so much force he is sent sprawling onto the pavement. A loud thump can be heard, like a body was hit. Junior looks down on himself in confusion, realizing it wasn't his body being hit. Everything seems to move in slow motion as he staggers up. There is already a crowd forming around a spot on the road.

His stomach is lurching with a foreboding feeling as he gets closer and closer to see Jackson shouting obscenities at the man who drove the car. When he finally gets to the circle of people, he really feels like he is going to throw up. Jaebum is on the ground, arm bent at an awkward angle. Junior throws himself on top of Jaebum and he hears himself screaming.

Then there are arms pulling him up. He registers it as Yugyeom who is trying to calm him down, "He will be okay. He will be okay." Even with the reassurances, Junior feels like his soul is leaving his body as Jaebum is loaded into the ambulance.

 

 

I promise no one dies in this story. I'm sorry for the cliff hanger :) I'm busy this week because school will be starting soon for me. I will still try my best to upload by the end of next week.