The Independent Man

My Homeless Boyfriend

"You know you're going to have to tag along with me either way," I flatly said to him while he was just stomping his feet onto the ground.

"But what if someone spots us! We can't go together!"

"Fine. Then don't go come with me. Leave on your own and get lost. Yeah, that's a great idea."

He pouted, his face annoyingly sulking. 

It was a Wednesday, and we both had things to do at SNU. I had to go to the 12:00 session in the auditorium, while Jonghyun had to go take an exam in Mr. Byun's room. It's the first time we'd be going to the university together, and I wanted to go with Jonghyun so he'd know the route for future days to come.

But this guys is just so scared of someone spotting us. I mean, it's not even a big deal. We're at the age where it's normal for people to be living with each other. So what's so bad about it?

I sighed, giving in. "Alright, Jonghyun. Since you're so uptight about it, I'll leave first. You wait a minute before coming down and just follow me from behind. Got it?"

"Got it."

And so I left first, walking very slowly just in case he doesn't spot me when it's his turn to come down. When a minute finally passed, I took a quick peak behind me. Just as planned, Jonghyun was trailing behind, his eyes locked on my body. It was when we waited in line for the bus stop that we acknowledged each other's presence. 

I decided that it was safe to greet here since it's normal for two people to be waiting at the same bus stop for school. After all, there were other folks from school that were here as well, and I was kind of surprised that no one decided to start up a conversation yet.

"Hello Jonghyun," I smiled.

He stiffly responded with a nod, not even in a friendly way.

When the bus stop arrived, I purposely pulled Jonghyun back so we'd be the last two to get on, hence having to both sit together where there's space. He scoffed as I secretly tugged onto his jacket, pulling him over to the very back of the bus.

After five minutes of silence, he finally decided to speak. 

"I won't be needing your help from now on. I made sure to write down the street names on our way here."

I smirked, "Hmm? Is that so?" 

"Yeah! It definitely is so!" He laughed, feeling triumphant.

I pity the man, but at the same time, it's his fault for saying such things in the first place. And so, I decided to let the man be and have him do whatever he wants. If he wants to walk to school by himself, then so be it. Since he doesn't need my help, I won't even bother telling him that the way to school is different from the way back.

And just as I thought, Jonghyun had absolutely no idea of where to go to. I hid behind a school building, creeping close so that the shadows would hide my presence. I held in the urge to laugh as Jonghyun threw a temper tantrum in front of the bus stop, seeing as though there were no routes leading back to the apartment.

The thing is, in the morning the bus heads over to Gwanak, but during the evening, the bus isn't going back to Gangnam. What he doesn't know is that there's a bus three streets over that does head to Gangnam. Jonghyun. Jonghyun. Jonghyun. This is what you get for acting like a big kid. Now you have to find your way back all on your own.

I turned around, ready to go head back to home on my own, but of course, my sympathetic side got the best of me. I started to trail behind Jonghyun, carefully watching as he started to walk after waiting at the bus stop for almost an hour. I wasn't going to lead him back home, but I decided to follow him just in case he's stupid enough to get lost.

Fifteen minutes later, I made up my mind, figuring that it was about time to intervene. He's been walking and walking in circles. The man thinks that he'll eventually get somewhere, but really, he's just going to the same stop over and over and over again. I shook my head and approached him, ready to help the poor guy out.

"Jonghyun, why are you still here?" I try acting surprised.

His eyes widened, his body thrown back. "I- Uh- I decided to wait for you since... THAT'S WHAT A GOOD BOYFRIEND DOES! Yeah, that's right."

I rolled my eyes.

What a horrible liar. Since when was he ever this enthusiastic on the whole dating scheme that I came up with? Oh wait, that's right. Never. He never has, and probably never will.

"Sure then. So, shall we go?" I smiled, even though I just wanted to laugh at his face right then and there.

We headed over three streets down, and again, chose the very back of the bus to sit at. I frowned, wishing that he would just warm up to me a bit more. Is it too much for him to walk to and from school with me? I don't think it is, but I guess that's just me and my wishful thinking. But of course, it was just like me to keep prying at him.

"Jonghyun, even though this is just pretend and all, we're still dating. You know that right."

He turned his head, looking the other direction. "Of course I know Mi Joo. I have been living with you for almost a week now."

My hands made its way to his face, lightly framing his cheeks, and turning his head so he'd look my way. I gazed right into his eyes, my heart slightly thumping a bit more than usual. Strange, but it is.

"Then Jonghyun... Can't you depend on me, even just a little bit?"

"M-Mi Jo-"

"Jonghyun, I'm here for you. As long as we keep this relationship up, I'll be here by your side," I confessed, my heart pounding even harder than before.

He sighed, and I could see a light tint of pink shaded over his cheeks.

"I-I guess I'll be in your care from now on. Thanks Mi Joo."

"No problem. That's what a girlfriend's for, right?"


I did notice that the romantic development of MiJong in the last version of this story was a bit rushed. 

Like, they went from being locked oustide to making out in his room.

I kind of want to take things slow and steady in this version, like a real, professional romcom writer does.

I want it to truly feel like they are falling for each other, and that their love does seem realistic after everything that's happened.

I'm glad that most of you are enjoying this new version. I hope to be receiving feedback from all of you in the comments section.

:)