Compromises

My Homeless Boyfriend

Ahn Mi Joo.

 

I rubbed my painfully throbbing eyes, just to remove the annoying blur that covered my vision. It was then that I recognized the seemingly familiar man in Pororo pajamas. He was that one kid at the University. The one that dated the seven "goddesses" of beauty that studied there. Now what was his name again? 

Kim Jong... Kim Jong...

"Kim Jong Il?" My thoughts ended up transferring from the inside of my head to the outside of my cursed mouth.

"What?" He asked, confused.

"Your name. Is it Kim Jong Il?"

He began to scoff continuously, and I knew I made a huge mistake. I banged myself on the forehead. Stupid Mi Joo. Stupid Ahn Mi Joo! Kim Jong Il is North Korea's former president! Stupid, stupid stupid. I nervously look up at the man, even if he wasn't very tall in the first place. We were only about three inches apart from each other, and no. I wasn't wearing heels.

"Ugh, nevermind I asked you anything. I'll just go ask some random ahjumma or something."

But before he could go anywhere, I stand up from my bench and quickly grab his arm. This is the first time an actual guy has asked me for my help. Well, at least ever since I started living here in Gangnam, that is. I must act accordingly. And so I gave a heartfelt smile and patted his fluffy brown hair.

"Just stay here. I'll get you that drink."

Before he could say a word, I ran off to the public restrooms where all the vending machines stood in a long row. I put in a 500 won coin inside the vending machine and was about to purchase water for him. I stopped myself, and instead decided to purchase the iced coffee. It's pretty early in the morning so I'm guessing this might be a better choice.

I started running back, unsure of whether the man would still be there or not. I still have to ask him for his name afterall! And much to my delight, the short man in Pororo pajamas was calmly sitting on bench with his legs crossed like some snobby rich kid.

And that was when it all started to click.

He had brown hair. He was only about three inches taller than me. He dated the seven goddesses at SNU. He looked like some rich kid. All those facts linked to one person and one person only. He was Kim Jonghyun, the heir of the biggest hotel chain in all of South Korea. He's rich kid, yet he asked me for some money?

How in the world does that make sense?

I confront the guy and start questioning. "Yah, you're Kim Jonghyun!"

"Oh, so now you finally figure that out? It took you long enough. I mean, I'm practically known by everyone at the university. But what does it matter who I am? Can I have my drink now?" He started to speak nonchalantly, which did kind of tick me off.

I let out a breath to calm myself. have patience Mi Joo. Have patience.

"I just wanted to know what was up. You're rich. You have money, you were born with money, yet why did you ask me for money?" It just happened to strike my attention. 

He was one of the richest men under twenty-five years of age. He could even buy his own private island if he wanted to! But for some reason, he asked a plain old student-- a student who has to work two different jobs to pay off her rent-- for some money. It was just such a weird situation that I demanded to know the answer.

"Well umm..." He looked the other direction, ignoring my question. There was a faint glow in his eyes, and in a split second, the iced drink hiding behind my back was free from my hands and in the possession of the man in front of me. 

"What do you think yo-"

"You didn't give me my drink yet. So I just took it." He smirked, and it was my turn to scoff.

"Whatever. Just answer my question!"

But he ignored whatever I had to say.

"What's your name? It's obvious you go to the same school as me, and I do recognize your face. Who are you?" 

"Mi Joo. Ahn Mi Joo."

He nodded his head, and gave a slight smile. But this smile was a bit different from the usual type of smile. It gave me a weird feeling. One that basically said "I'll-act-nice-so-you-can-do-me-a-favor." I awkwardly took a step back, but before I can leave the scene, he grabbed at my wrists and held them up. 

"Meh Joo."

"It's Mi Joo."

He let go of one hand to scratch his head in embarrassment. I used that time to try and wriggle free from his break, but it was no use. Even with just one hand, he was still able to keep me within reach. He looked at me with big droopy eyes, the type people label as "The Puppy Dog".

"Mi Joo, I'll tell you the reason why, but by doing so you have to promise not to tell anyone." He took a deep breath. "Ok, so the truth is, I got kicked out of my house. I swear. My grandparents don't even want me here. And, if I got to my friends for help, they'll probably just make fun of me for being a "commoner". He then gave those stupid eyes a go once more. Sooooo, I was hoping if I could borrow some money. About 750,000 won would do. I just need to rent an apartment for about a month. I'm sure I'll be taken back in by then."

I stared at him, mouth open, eyeballs almost close to popping out, both in awe and shock. Who knew someone would have the nerve to ask someone who's practically a stranger for over five hundred won? That's outrageous? Where would I even have that money in the first place? I'm a scholarship student so I don't have to pay for tuition fees, but that's the only thing I don't have to pay for!

I live in Gangnam where all the rich little boys and girl as well as affluent families live! Just living in an apartment here is already almost out of my budget, what with the groceries I have to buy weekly. How can I just hand out 750 thousand won? I shook my head at him in a continuous motion. 

"No. Go to someone else. I'm just a scholarship student. Where would I ever get that much money? I'm not rich!"

I started walking off, noticing how much of a pain this could get. Plus, Jonghyun let go of my hand at that time, so this'll probably be the only time to do so.

"Mi Joo! wait! Ahn Mi-" The next thing I know, I hear a loud crash and I see poor man lying on the ground with bruises all over his knees and coffee all over his clothes.

"You. Did you trip on a rock?"

"No, I tripped on your shoe lace. It was untied."

And much to my surprise, he was right.



---------------------------------------

 

I walked out from the laundry room in my pad, holding Pororo pajamas in the palm of my hand. Making my way to the man to the couch, I handed him the PJ's.

"Here you go. You could change into these now, Jonghyun."

"Thanks, but who's clothes am I wearing again?"

"That's not important right now. In fact, you can burn those after you're done wearing them. What's important is you, me, and this apartmant."

He had a look of confusion, and so I further elaborated.

"Look, I know this may sound crazy, but I have a plan. I'm the only person you can rely on as of now, right?"

He nodded his head.

"Then why don't you try staying here? This place is a two bedroom apartment, and I don't expect my parents coming here any time soon. But there is one condition."

He finally chose to speak. "And what is that?"

"Nothing much, really. Just you and me, dating. Be my boyfriend."


New update! I hope you like it. :)

I'll try updating more often, now that one of my chaptered fanfictions is finished.