Chapter 8

The One Like You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8

 

Morning rays through the window woke her up. Jihyo opened her eyes groggily and immediately shut them back from the blinding light of sunrise. After getting accustomed to that, Jihyo sat up on the bed and rubbed her face with her palm. What time is it? She peeped at the clock on her phone and the time read 7.00 in the morning.

Not forgetting about the date she had today with Soojung at 9, Jihyo went into the shower lazily. It was her first date so Jihyo spent her time taking bath longer than she usually did, washing her body with shower cream a little too much as well as brushing her teeth, and shampooing her hair too, just to leave a fragrant and good impression on her girlfriend.

After done with the shower, Jihyo stepped out of the bathroom and put on a lotion on her fresh-washed face. In a bathrobe, Jihyo dried her hair using the hair dryer while humming some romantic song that she could remember. She was exhilarated.

She then also went through her hard-wooden wardrobe, a panic started to attack when her hand checked out each of her outfits but none were suitable for the date. Damn, why are all of them working attire and home-shirts? Jihyo’s hand then stopped at a sky blue shirt and a blazer. Aish, this is too formal for a date. She hit her own head on the wardrobe lightly, a tiny regret rushed in her heart.

Jihyo then ran out to find her friend, Mina as a savior. “MINARI” she hollered and the called girl startled in the kitchen when she was preparing for breakfast. Mina saw Jihyo running towards her, looks showed that she was panic. “I don’t have a suitable outfit for the date. What should I do?”

Jihyo looked like she was about to cry, crumbling Mina’s soft heart. The latter then held Jihyo’s hands and looked into her eyes. “Jihyo, calm down and don’t panic. I’ll help you out!” With hands intertwined between the best friends, Mina dragged Jihyo into her own shared bedroom with Momo.

Momo who had just done taking shower and wanted to wear her shirt was petrified with wide eyes to see her girlfriend and Jihyo suddenly barged in the room. “What are you doing?” she questioned. Apparently, her inquiry was ignored as Mina went straight to her wardrobe.

The girl busily searched for the clothes that would fit Jihyo, who’s slightly curvier than her. Fortunately Mina was the type to buy clothes that looked loose on her. She then took out a one-piece floral dress knee-length and also a see-through, long-sleeved black crop top for the options. “Which one do you prefer?” Mina asked while showing off the outfits to Jihyo.

The older girl scratched her head in confusion and thought carefully. “You could fit the crop top with your own skirt or pants. You have them right?” Mina added and Jihyo nodded in comprehension. Her mind filled with thoughts. Soojung always had seen her in blouse or dress. She then decided to go with the crop top one and Mina handed her a white leather jacket. “Wear it since it was cold outside.”

Momo who witnessed the scenes shook her head disapprovingly. “Jihyo, you’re the owner of a cloth brand for goodness sake but you don’t have a casual outfit for yourself!”

Jihyo snorted at Momo’s remark. “I don’t own that, Nayeon unnie does!” She retaliated in defense, causing the Japanese girlfriends to chuckle.

Moments later, Jihyo sat before the make-up table and looked at her own reflection in the mirror. Other details were filling in her already exhausted brain, effect from thinking hard since early in the morning. Should I go for thick or light make-up? Without further ado, Jihyo just reached for the make-up items. She already wasted too much time on her outfit.

The last step for her to take was the lipstick. Which color she should put on her lips? Many told Jihyo looked outstanding and beautiful with bright red lips and had several times wore it on her work. Should she do it for the date then?

Sighing, Jihyo looked at her own face through the mirror. Park Jihyo, just what did you do to yourself?  She felt pathetic how she would go through all the trouble just to impress her girlfriend on their first date. Jihyo also wondered if all girls would feel and do the same things as she did.

At last, she chose the light pink colored lipstick to match with the light make-up she just did on her face.

*
*

To: My Jihyo
I’m waiting for you outside. Take your time. :)

The message was sent and a grin immediately formed on her lips. Soojung enjoyed what she did and tried to suppress the embarrassment from doing it. Although the weather was cold and windy, she decided to wait outside of the car and leaned her back.

Jihyo came out of the apartment not long after she read the text message. She didn’t want to make Soojung wait for her long in the cold weather. She spotted her girlfriend stylishly leaning on the car while checking out her camera. Maybe it’s a photographer thing to do, with Canon DSLR camera hanging around her neck, going around on a date with that thing.

Soojung was wearing jeans, oversized white sweatshirt layered with denim jacket. The blowy wind had caused Soojung’s hair to wave, making her looked beautiful as ever. How can someone be so attractive? Jihyo’s heart was beating rapidly.

Soojung finally looked up when she felt someone’s presence by her side. Jihyo approached her and Soojung felt like the world stopped for a moment. Jihyo was breathtakingly beautiful. Soojung almost forgot how it felt to love and be blown away by someone’s beauty. She had a temporary mental breakdown. Her younger girlfriend was wearing a skirt slightly above her knee, and Soojung worried if Jihyo might be bothered by the cold.

“Let’s get inside. I’ll drive us around!” told Soojung and got inside her car, forgotten how to be the gentleman and didn’t open the passenger door for Jihyo. The latter however preferred things to be that way and didn’t want Soojung to spoil her with that simple little gesture so much. She liked the way how it was. “My bad,” Soojung uttered sheepishly after realizing her mistake. Jihyo dismissed the word by flashing her smile encouragingly.

“I didn’t know you drive.” Jihyo began to break the awkward as soon as she got in. Soojung chuckled in return. “I do drive, but not often. This car belonged to Jisoo anyway, I just borrowed it from her,” the older girl informed with mixed feeling. She was a little embarrassed and might earn a minus point from her own girlfriend for not owning her own asset.

“I promise when things get easier for me and more affordable, I’ll buy a car, for us!” Soojung vowed, meaning everything of it. “It’ fine, you don’t have to please me with fancy things. I like you just the way you are and the way we have now!” Jihyo timidly confessed with blushing cheeks. Soojung giggled at her girlfriend’s cuteness. “You’re cute!” she remarked, causing Jihyo to blush harder.

The car ride was a lot more enjoyable and less awkward than the couple thought it’ll be. Despite that day being their first date, Soojung always knew how to lure a conversation with Jihyo and occasionally laughed together. With a romantic song played as the background through the radio, the atmosphere felt more aesthetically pleasing. They looked like a loving couple who had known each other and be together for a long time. They might beat the almighty 2Yeon couple.

As they reached to a certain town in Itaewon, Soojung wheeled the car to the left and settled for a parking. Turning off the engine, she shifted to her right and asked Jihyo. “Let’s walk around for a while.” Jihyo agreed with the idea ecstatically and stepped out of the car. When the door locked, Soojung immediately went by Jihyo’s side. “Shall we?” she asked which Jihyo nodded. Soojung instinctively reached for Jihyo’s soft and tender hand, intertwining their fingers together. Jihyo’s heart was wildly beating with the unfamiliar contact and she swore she could go mad for any minute.

Soojung didn’t forget to bring her camera along and maybe because of the season or the weather, the view of the town looked beautiful as Soojung captured the moment in her camera. She then flashed the camera to her side, quickly pressed the button and took the picture of her beautiful girlfriend. The light from the sun above her head made the picture turned out so pretty, making Jihyo looked like a model under spotlight. Jihyo began to blush again with her girlfriend’s action.

The little things that Soojung did and they affected her self-being easily. Soojung was driving Jihyo insane.

Although Itaewon was famous among citizens in Korea, Jihyo had barely gone to the place and wondered if she had ever been there in the first place. Despite the time read still early, the town was still filled with all kinds of human, from people wandering there for vacation like for foreigners, or simply couples on a date like themselves, to people wearing formal outfits like in suits.

“Wow, so many people are here!” Jihyo exclaimed in fascination with her jaw dropped. Soojung chuckled. “I like going here once a month before but since things started to be a little hard for me, I stopped coming and filled my days with works in the studio,” Soojung said, starting to open up about her life for a bit. Jihyo pursed her lips and nodded her head in comprehension. “I understand. Things must be hard for you,” she replied, referring to the times after Mijoo had left the world and her. After all, Mijoo was the gorgeous girlfriend of Soojung’s and her first love even, something Jihyo could never win over the deceased.

Soojung said nothing and continued to walk leisurely while still holding to Jihyo’s hand tightly. They stopped pacing when they reached at a crowd of people and in the center of the circled crowds a band of indie group of girls was showing a performance. An acoustic version of “Boy in Luv” by BTS was played (imagine The Ark’s performance). The audiences enjoyed the performance and started to clap along with the song. Jihyo copied the action as she enjoyed just as much and Soojung saved the moment in her camera. The pictures of the performing group, the crowds, and her girlfriend as well all were taken.

The couple furthered their journey and continued to walk along the street. They occasionally stepped into a gift shop to look at cute items, something that both Jihyo and Soojung loved and shared in common. After that Soojung brought Jihyo to someplace that used to be her favorite spot.

“You must be cold!” Soojung remarked and Jihyo admittedly nodded her head. Soojung noticed her girlfriend at times would blow in her palms to get some warmth or rubbing her palms together. When Jihyo realized it, they entered a café, cozy and warmth started to make itself into her body.

They settled down to a table at the corner beside the window, the spot that Soojung purposely chose so the couple could glance outside and look at the wandering people. “What would you like to order? I’ll go make one for us!” Soojung asked.

“One hot caramel coffee and red velvet cheese cake would do for me!” Jihyo said and Soojung took note of them. She flashed her smile at the girlfriend. “I’ll be back!”

By the time they got inside, Jihyo heard the music changed to a song by an idol group, Coffee Shop by B.A.P, making the date looked classy yet luxurious. She especially fancied the decorations in the café, which was styled in classical wooden chairs and table, old pictures on the wall, probably pictured the history of the café itself. Not long after, Soojung came back with a blanket and put it on Jihyo’s lap, then got back to her seat as they seated opposite and faced each other. Jihyo uttered a thank you.

“It’s nice here,” Jihyo began commented, a grin immediately crept up on Soojung’s face. “My favorite,” she claimed, Jihyo took a mental note of it. “Why do we not go to Jiae unnie’s café but here?” Jihyo just had the gut to ask. Soojung hummed for a while. “We’ll go there later in the evening. For now, I want us to enjoy being alone together at my favorite spot,” she answered smoothly.

“Actually, I used to go here a lot when I was in university. After I dated Mijoo, I started to bring her alo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter