5 Years

The One Like You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5 Years

 

The sound of applauses echoed in the hall, making the performer beaming wide with proud grin stretched all over her face. Among the crowds, a satisfied group of family was giving her a standing ovation that she deserved. “I LOVE YOU LEE SEOL!”

“MY DAUGHTER!”

Everyone was looking at them but instead of giving piercing glare, the rest of the audiences were actually giving them warm messages of congratulations and the 6 year old kid was doing a really good job.

Dongwoo was acting as the enthusiastic uncle he always had, he proudly claimed Seol was his beloved niece and soon should be his daughter in-law. His son, Junseo, however was face-palming in embarrassment. His wife got nothing else to say than shaking her head.

Jiae and Jisoo were the greatest aunties Seol could ever ask for, especially the latter. Given the warm and loving front Jisoo always put on for her, Seol grew to be really fond of playing with Jisoo than Jiae, though she actually loved both of her auties equally.

Meanwhile, her two mothers were just as astonished with her performance as the other reactions she received. Mommy Jihyo was clapping while standing, tears glistening from the back of her eyes with proud smile bloomed on her face. Her Soojungie was just typically cool sitting down on her chair and applauded silently for the mini her. Seol loved these two people in her life too much to care about Soojung’s usual lack of enthusiasm in giving reaction.

The family garnered in front of the stage after the ending ceremony for a photograph session. Instead of joining the family members piled up to fit in a frame for the photo, Soojung chose to be the photographer like her own profession instead. Seol sulked at her Mama and pouted. “Soojungie, please come here and be in the picture with us! What’s the point of taking picture without you?!”

Soojung’s gaze fell on her daughter with baffled expression. The growing up little girl looked like she could cry any second as a bad feeling and guilt began creeping inside the parent.

Rising her hand in the same level as her shoulder, Jihyo refused to be the peacemaker that she had always done for the sake of her precious honeys. “You go and persuade her yourself, sweetheart!”

Eventually giving in to her daughter’s request, Soojung passed her precious leveled-up camera over to Dongwoo’s wife and managed a few seconds to give instructions on how the elder woman should use the digital camera. “SMILE!”

They posed for the photo. The main character was in the center with her two mothers became the wings on both of her sides. Jihyo placed her lips on top of Seol’s head, Soojung rested her arm around her daughter’s shoulder and had her cheek grazed with Seol’s hair. They closed their eyes, as the rest of them were smiling brightly when they heard the shutter sound. Seol was the happiest that day!

*
*

Growing up to a smart kid, it didn't take much time for Seol to understand she was only adopted in the family. But that also didn't make her loved her family lesser, especially Mommy Jihyo and Soojungie.

Why she addressed the head of the family with just her name? That was simply because Soojung insisted it that way. To have two mothers would be confusing to Seol, but to be called as appa would be an overstatement and Soojung wasn't fond of that either. Still, that was actually her real role in the family. Soojung's age had hit over 30, and despite the very small wrinkle started to show on her face, Soojung still looked young and the between her and Jihyo didn't feel big. All thanks to her short height, made her looked so petite.

So that also made Seol treated her like same aged friend.

They next rode separate vehicles. In span of a year after Seol came into the family, purchasing a car with the help of loan from the bank was already affordable for Soojung. They and of course with Jihyo headed to a different destination than the other trip, promising to see them again at Jiae's cafe after this.

The warm yet chill vibe of spring overwhelmed the family. Seol was overly clinging to her mommy that caused Soojung to feel slightly annoyed while focusing on her drive. Jihyo was spoiling Seol too much too.

"Seol-ah, who do you like more, mommy or Junseo oppa?" Jihyo began to be childish with her daughter as Soojung rolled her eyes. The former knew Seol had a special feelings towards her cousin, Junseo - also Dongwoo's son, and decided to tease.

Seol hummed for a moment and looked like she had been thinking with her fingers curled. "Mommy!" she answered a while later that made her mommy grinned in satisfaction and Seol showed her toothy smile.

Chill breeze assaulted their body and the sight of blooming flowers greeted them. They paid no attention to that anyhow and continued their journey; began to hiked up the cliff with Seol holding a flower while gripping on her mother's hand.

Trailing behind Soojung's leading moves, Jihyo felt a rush of mixed feelings seeped inside her heart and sighed subconsiously. Seol happened to hear her mommy's sigh and neatly held the woman's hand. Jihyo tilted to her side and saw her daughter beamed at her. She felt a surge of relief took upon her and shot a genuine smile too.

The family's steps came to a stop when they reached a certain grave. Right, they made a short trip to the cemetery to visit the dead that had long gone, long left them from the world.

Lee Mijoo.

Almost close to 10 years ago whenever Soojung visited her, her heart would clutch in pain and she would break down into unsettling tears. But now she had been set at peace and more calmed, all thanks to her sweethearts that were Jihyo and Seol.

The 6 year old girl bent down a little and placed the Chrysanthemum before the gravestone, Jihyo joined her daughter and then carefully the object, fingers traced the name carved on the stone.

"Mijoo unnie, today is the day I finally perform your favourite song Only Hope on stage with piano! Soojungie plays the song at home a lot, so it becomes my favourite too!" Seol spoke, not hesitating one bit. Jihyo's lips curved into a small smile while Soojung remained expressionless.

"Aunty Jiae and Aunty Jisoo told me a lot of funny stories about you. It's such a shame I didn't get to see you before you go," she resumed, turning Jihyo into an emotional wrecked as her eyes started to be watering.

The woman who took the role as the mom in the family also began to speak. "Mijoo-ssi, our Seol did a really good job in her performance today. We're all really proud of her." Jihyo hadn't seen nor met Mijoo in person, but since the said woman played a crucial role not only in Soojung's life but almost her whole family, she became emotional upon thinking of the deceased too.

She felt a hand took hers and when Jihyo glanced up over her shoulder, Soojung had stood between Seol and her. "Seol said she dedicated the song for Jihyo and me. Sweet of my daughter, isn't she?" The elder tilted to beam at Seol, her dimples poked from her cheeks. Seol's facade reflected the same reaction, and her dimples were a replica of her Soojungie's one.

Jihyo watched those two exchanged sweet smiles with delightful grin. What a heaven!

*
*

In celebratory mood after Seol taking part in a child singing contest successfully, Jiae insisted to hold a small party and invited

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter