untangling the hurricane

crowns of golden thorns and beautiful ruins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day 1 (your eyes are a hurricane)

A drop. A beat. Painful eyes dreading to be closed yet he just has to. 

A breath. A smile. Limp and wrinkling fingers reaching out to soft, moist ones. Never wilting, just like plastic flowers. 

Another tear falls. Another heart is broken again. His, for another time. Jungwoo is not sure how can he still be hurt like this. Numbness is the best painkiller for an existence such as he is.

Another reason to live dissolves. 

He sits outside of the hospital room, wondering if being like this means anything at all. If being alone for eternity means anything at all. 

"Someone died?"

He hears cold voice calling out to him. Only when he looks forward he realizes that all that time a girl was sitting in front of her. There was no sympathy or pity in her voice. Just mere fulfillment to her curiosity. 

"Close to."

The curves of her lips rises in a cunning and somewhat remorseful way. "Same."

"I'm sorry-" Jungwoo can't help to feel sorry regardless of her apathy.

She shakes her head, holding back her bewilderment of seeing such a soft hearted man. "It's old age," she says more to herself, head bent down. Raising her head, a blank look sweeps over her face. "It's already determined."

For a second, Jungwoo swears that sparks of ember emerge from beneath her fingertips. 

"Excuse me, Mrs. Park. Your husband wants to see you."

In a split of second, her eyes change. The lethargy was clouded with tremendous guilt, an accumulating sadness that is ready to crash her down. He's familiar with the feeling. To an existence like Jungwoo, human's span of life is like that of a butterfly.

"If only it can be forever."

Jungwoo's eyes can't catch the time he has his feet pushing him to stand up, but he can pinpoint the moment her eyes turn into a fiery colour of red with black smoke spilling into the white part of her eyes as her eyes dragged along his eyes for a while.

For that one moment, Jungwoo has a silent hope which he wishes to be screamed out so loud the world will shatter. That one day, he will find someone like him and he would never need to be alone again. And finally, forever can be attained. 

Jungwoo wishes in his big of a heart that she would be the one.

Then his heart drops at his own selfish desires to find another loved one, when his is struggling to live in the other room. Another tear falls below his eyelids, realizing that perhaps, he has never known what loving means.

 

Day 32 

It was just another day of him arranging the books at the bookstore. It has been 3 days since his lover died. Another numbness is added to his tired heart. He has been skipping work and flying off to buildings and skyscrapers to look into the sky. 

He thinks he will feel less guilty this way, to pretend to love those who are gone.

He hasn't met that girl yet again. Selfish Jungwoo knows that it is so thoughtless to let people go this easy. But this is what he bounds to do. Mortals should be let go. They won't be here forever, not like he is. His heart, contrary to what he believes, is too small to love different people. Perhaps, this is why he was destined to be this way, to remain solitare forever. In his little heart, he wonders if he really deserves to love at all.

"Excuse me, is "Eyes to Eternity" by Park Sooyoung available here?"

He looks up to the voice and finds himself looking into the eyes of the girl who should be the one. She senses something familiar with him and utters, "Oh, it's you. The guy in the hospital."

He gulps and nods, brown hair falling to his eye. Soft hands falling in front of his, as if covering his existence even when the thrill runs wild to see her. "Yeah. So, what are you looking for?"

She frowns, crossing her arms by the chest. "You need to listen well to other people. It's "Eyes to Eternity" by Park Sooyoung. Is it here already?"

He nods timidly, still startled by her presence, effortlessly dazzling in such an ordinary way. "Yeah. It just arrived yesterday."

She grins while looking down, more to herself. Fingers folded in front of her, as if her prayers have been fulfilled. "Okay, then. Thank you." She turns on her heels to walk away. This is his only chance.

Take a step. Reach out that hope, he whispers to himself until he is brave enough to speak.

"I think you remind me of the sun. Would you mind to shed more light into me?"

Of all the things she is often described as, the sun is one of the rarities. She only turns her head by bit to look at him and places a card above a stack of books.

There reads a name and a phone number belonging to Park Sooyoung. 

He smiles deeply and a spark of light emerges inside of him, for a new hope that alights for a new beginning.

Day 35

He learns she actually doesn't like love stories, and falling in love was never a choice in her case. Her late husband was someone she married for obligatory reasons due to an arrangement between their parents. Someone whom she appreciates for not looking at her with a different eye.

"When did you realise that you were different?" Conversations between coffee cups and tea occur with the world going on their rotati

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter