the beginning of impossibility

crowns of golden thorns and beautiful ruins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(the beginning of impossibility)

 

Tang Dynasty, Chang'An, 665 AD

 

1 meeting

I didn't expect you to speak of my country's language so skillfully after you've just spoken yours to the silk trader. I should have known that you were different from the way you dressed yourself. But you blended so well and conversed with people in the street so naturally, more than I ever could have been. 

"Near to rivers, we recognize fish. Near to mountains, we recognize the song of birds!" 

That's the first word you said to me when I lingered beside you, throwing a question and waiting it to be replied. 

It impressed me of how you were able to know of this proverb. "Investigation on the field is a very good thing to do. But for what? Are you intending to compete with the quality of Tang's silk?" Your eyes rounded up in amusement instead of panic.

"You must have known that I'm not from around here?" Two ladies stood beside you and they had their eyes widened when they saw me. They must have known. 

I assume that you'll never know of my real identity for my own escorts have lent the message to yours to keep it as their secret. I can't deny that I am intrigued, even though currently, it is only mild. 

"Well, your dress is a warning for that."

You laughed. I stood and watched, amazed. As your ladies scolded you to behave like a real lady that most blue bloods are supposed to be, you only brushed them aside with stifled giggles. 

"That is why I am trying to blend in. I intend to buy them, in contrast to what you just accused me of doing."

The ladies gasped, perhaps noticing the baffled look on my face. You only looked back to them in questionable brows raising, your sleeves sway as you swift from side to side to look at them, who had heads lowered. 

I was aware that the relationship between our countries are not pleasant. But it is not every day to come across an intriguing lady like you are. 

"We might never meet again, so may I know your name?" I could feel the trusted people right by my side, trusted escorts who have spent their childhood with me, bore their eyes to my head, hoping that I would not commit things that will harm my position. 

I could hear everything, as that is what they said on our way home.

"Crown Prince Sicheng, I beg of you, don't continue this anymore!" What matters is that I am not lying of my name, right?

I already told you, Luhan. You don't need to address me in such titles when it is only the three of us. I saw how you stared at Luhan for awhile, but don't belittle him for his lithe and lean figure. He has been fighting battles and wars Father can't trust me yet. 

What if she turns out to be the princess of Shilla? The Shilla representatives are currently discussing a pact between the two kingdoms. It never crossed my mind to think that a princess would walk so leisurely like this in an enemy's territory. My assumption was that you are a noble, an aristocrat. Even though the way you move lacked the aspect to support that title.

I wouldn't mind to have a wife like her- 

But you are already enganged to Lady-

If I can persuade Father with better choices, he'd agree. He's looking for more benefits here.

"Sooyoung. Call me Sooyoung," you didn't give me your full name, and it was fine.

"I'm Sicheng, it's a pleasure to meet you, Lad-"

"Just call me Sooyoung, I'm only seventeen. I'm too young to be called a lady! That title belongs to married noblewoman in my country," I didn't hold back my smile, seeing such a carefree attitude I haven't been able to come across these days. Soon after that, you were pulled by your escorts away from me, them with their embarrassed smiles.

"How do you want me to remember you?" Before you left, that was what you questioned. That was what held you back to wait for my answer as I was caught unable to give one. That was when all noises in the market died down and all I could hear was my own thoughts.

"A young man who is intrigued, who is in the same age as you. A young man who'd like to have another chance to meet you."

And you replied with the unexpected, before you left with a fleeting smile. "If the odds will ever be in our favor."

I should have said something more.

 

2

We met again today. Isn't it great? To say that I fell in love with you at the first sight is such a lie. But I can't help to admit that I want to keep seeing you.

I want to k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter