Chapter 13

Chasing Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"There's no building number 4028. Nothing goes past 2000." Jackson said after spending the last hour driving up and down Mira-wang.

Mira groaned while leaning against the wheel, cruising, "What are we supposed to do? 4028 doesn't mean anything."

"Wa-wait!" Jackson exclaimed as he shot up and looked out the window. "Turn the car around."

Mira blinked and cut a sharp turn and drove back down the road, "What is it? Did you see something?"

"There!" Jackson said excitedly. "It's a phone booth. I think there are numbers on the side."

Mira drove up next to the booth and parked so that she and Jackson could get out and inspect it. "This is the only thing we've seen for a while that isn't an actual building."

Jackson circled the booth before spotting something scratched on the corner, "Booth No. 4028."

"Nice job." Mira said, impressed, "So what do we do with it now? Are we supposed to call someone?"

Jackson scratched his head, "Well we don't have a phone number, so I don't know."

Mira stared at the phone inside the booth before her eyes widened. She pulled the door open and stepped inside before picking up the phone. Jackson squeezed himself in and was pressed up against her as she dialled *89.

She turned the phone out for the both of them to here as the phone rang. After a few rings, she was about to hang up when someone picked up.

"Yi En? Is that you?" The gruff voice cracked through the static in crisp English, "Why haven't you called me back?"

"Hello?" Mira voiced out cautiously.

Silence filled the line before the call cut and the dial tone rang out.

"Was that his dad?" Jackson asked after Mira hung up.

She turned to look at him, a little surprised at their proximity before letting out a breath, "I'm not sure, I don't know what he sounds like."

"Mark told me that family didn't live in Korea." Jackson offered.

Mira frowned before facing the phone again. "Why would Mark call from a pay phone and not his cell phone."

"Maybe on purpose. He must've left us another clue." Jackson said before looking around.

Mira opened the yellow pages that was hanging below the phone and flipped through it until she found an advertisement circled in red. "This has got to be his."

"Twin Falls opens dual motels." Jackson read, "How are we supposed to know which one we should go to?"

Mira chewed on her thumb, "We'll have to go to both and see which one leads us anywhere."

"He better be reimbursing us for this." Jackson muttered as he watched Mira rip the page out.

They left the booth as Jackson sent Mark a text, asking him which hotel they were expected to go to. Mira started driving them towards the first hotel when they finally got an answer.

"What did he say?" She asked.

To: Jackson

Sorry.

From: Mark

Jackson made a face and stared at the reply, "He just said sorry."

"Goddamn it, he knows he's going to make us pay for both." She mumbled.

Jackson sighed and pulled out Mira's map, "We're almost at the end. After the second hotel, we won't have anywhere else to go but the last point."

"We haven't used your compass once." Mira said in realization, "Did we miss something?"

"Maybe it's to help us actually find him when we hit the last point." Jackson offered.

"And after we hit the last point?" 

Jackson smirked as he stared off to the side, "We whoop his ."

-----

"Hi, we were wondering if we could get a room?" Mira asked after they finally reached the first of the Twin Falls motels.

The person behind the desk pushed their glasses up before nodding, "Names?"

"Kang Mira."

"Yi En Tuan."

Jackson and Mira waited while holding their breaths for the man's face to light up in recognition but when he looked up all he said was, "You'll be in room 7. Down the hall to the left. Would you like me to walk you there?"

Jackson let out a sigh of disappointment before mustering up a smile and taking the key from him, "No thanks we're good."

"Damn it." Jackson huffed as they entered the room. "I was hoping this was the place."

Mira chuckled, "When has he ever made it easy for us this entire trip?"

"Rookie mistake." Jackson grumbled, making her laugh. "I'm going to shower."

"I'll join you."

Jackson froze, his eyes wide and his heart pounding when he looked up at her. Mira was stretched out on a chair with a Cheshire grin, "Kidding. Go shower."

" you." He said while turning to the bathroom while the sound of her laughter and her phone ringing echoed behind him.

-----

"I'm not going. You know why I can't. It's not like any of them even want me there." Jackson stepped out of the bathroom and paused when he saw Mira's back turned to him with her arms crossed over her chest while barking into her phone.

"It doesn't matter how much time passed, they still hate me. No. I'm not talking about this anymore. I gotta go. Yeah, I know. I love you too, mom. Bye."

"Everything okay?" He asked while tossing his towel aside.

Mira spun around with wide eyes before she cleared . She rubbed her nose and nodded while looking down at her phone, "Yeah, my parents want me to meet up with them for a family reunion thing and I'm not really in the mood to do that."

"But that sounds like a lot of fun." Jackson mused. "If you're saying no just because of this trip, you shouldn't have to. I can drive you back."

She shook her head and sat down on the bed, "I don't really like my relatives, so I wouldn't have gone even if I was at my apartment lying in bed watching TV."

"Yeah well everyone has issues with family, I'm sure they'd want to see you. My relatives act like it's the end of the world whenever I skip a family gathering." He mused with a grin.

Mira's eyebrows twitched as she tossed her phone aside, "Well, that's because your relatives probably actually really like you."

"I bet yours do too." He replied while pulling his shirt over his head.

She laughed looked up at the ceiling, "They really don't. In fact, I'm pretty sure they purposely didn't invite me. They despise me."

"Why?" Jackson asked while sitting next to her.

Mira on her tongue while staring at Jackson, contemplating to herself before smiling in self-deprecation. "They think I killed my cousin."

Jackson started coughing, choking on his own spit in surprise, "What?!"

Mira laid on her back and reached out to use her finger to aimlessly draw along Jackson's waist. "I had a friend when I was a kid. Lena. She was my cousin and we were always pitted against each other. One of us would always be prettier or smarter or more athletic and we'd always try to outdo each other until one day it just escalated."

"But mom said that we shouldn't go out on the ice because it's not thick enough." 8-year-old Mira whined while holding onto Lena's arm as they slid down the snowy hill that led to the lake.

Lena giggled and gently tugged her down, "Your mom was just overreacting. It's perfectly fine, I went out on it yesterday."

"You did?" Mira gasped.

Lena nodded with a smug grin, "So stop worrying unless you're a chicken. It's okay if you are, I understand. I'll skate, you can just watch by the side. I am the better skater anyways, remember? Gold medal."

"No!" Mira blurted out, "I can do it. I know how to skate. The only reason you won gold is because I hurt my ankle and couldn't compete."

Lena snickered, obviously not worried, which only further angered Mira. Lena was always like that, every time Mira did anything better than her, she'd just laugh it off like it was no big deal. Like she didn't see Mira as competition. She made it seem like everything Mira accomplished was a fluke."Then prove it. I'll race you to the end of the lake."

"But we don't have out skates." Mira asked with a frown.

Lena wasn't bothered as she took the first step onto the lake, "It's fine, we can just slide on our shoes."

Mira chewed on her thumb nervously before following her. She stared at her feet and carefully shuffled until she was standing on one end of the lake.

"Okay, ready?" Lena asked.

Mira swallowed the lump down and nodded.

"On your marks, get set, GO!" Lena yelled before taking off in a sprint.

Mira gritted her teeth and pushed off, struggling not to slip and slide as the gap between her and Lena grew. Mira watched her feet and scowled when they wouldn't move fast enough.

"Mira!" Lena called out from ahead of her.

Her scowl grew as she kept her head down, "I'm coming!"

It wasn't until she looked up that she noticed Lena had stopped moving and was waiting for her. Thinking that it was her chance, Mira picked up her pace and skated past her with a smug grin on her face until Lena called out to her again.

"Mira! Come back! Help!"

The tremble in her scream had Mira sliding to a stop. She turned and saw Lena frozen with her arms held out. Mira shuffled back towards her but when she got close, she took a step and heard the sound of the ice cracking under her foot.

"Stop!" Lena yelled, "Don't move."

Mira gulped and watched the cracks  under Lena's feet grow slowly. Lena looked at Mira in fear, "What do I do?"

"I'll go call my mom and dad." Mira suggested while turnin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter