Chapter 11

Chasing Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He watched them pull up to the side of the road across from a line of small vintage shops. They stood in front of one of them and stared up at the sign before discussing something and walking in.

He gripped the steering wheel with an amazed smile on his mouth, "Finally, it's them."

"Who is that? Someone you know?" The man next to him asked when he saw the gaze in his friend's eyes.

"That Yugyeom, is Poseidon and Daisy." He said with a smile.

"Oh--OH!" He said in realization as his eyes widened, "You mean the Daisy and Poseidon?"

He nodded, "The one and only."

"Are we going to talk to them?"

"No…not quite yet."

-----

"Uhhh…" Mira trailed off as she stared up at a shelf located by the door of Stone's toy store.

Jackson walked up behind her and felt his jaw hang at the rows and rows of vintage dolls lined up next to each other. Their eyes were wide and soulless and some of them even had cracked faces, "Holy . This is nightmare fuel."

"I hate Mark." Mira mumbled while staring at the vacant, empty eyes of the dolls.

Jackson was halfway through a laugh when he choked on it and let out a strangled yelp, "!"

Mira jumped and snapped her head, letting out her own small scream when she found a man, maybe a few years younger than herself, standing next to them, staring. "Can I help you two?"

"Umm…yeah." Mira mumbled out, "Sorry about that, you gave us a scare."

His face didn't change as he blinked at them, "How can I help you?"

"We're looking for something Yi En might've left for us." Jackson asked unsurely before glancing at his name tag. "Bam…Bam?"

"Yeah that's my name." He said simply before staring at the pair of them with empty eyes. "Follow me."

He turned and trailed after him, wincing every time he passed a doll until they reached the counter. BamBam walked to the other side of it and knelt down, shuffling around before standing up and placing something on the counter in front of them.

"What…is it?" Mira muttered while staring at the metallic object.

"It's a necklace made from bullet casings." BamBam said simply.

Jackson and Mira gaped at him, "W-Why do you sell this at a toy store?"

"We don't." He replied blankly.

An awkward silence fell over them as he refused to provide them with any more information, "How much is it?"

"Yi En already paid. It's yours." He said before abruptly walking away.

Mira made a face before picking up the necklace and touching the metal, "He does have a thing for war. The politics, the good vs evil, the catalyst. All of it."

"Just hurry up and put it on so we can get out of here." Jackson muttered while giving the doll seated on the counter a dirty look.

Mira hung it around her neck before pursing her lips, "I want to look around."

"Are you kidding me?" He balked. "Doesn't this place creep you the out?"

She grinned with a shrug, "You can wait by the car if you want, I'm going to have a look around."

Jackson sighed in defeat as Mira walked away, disappearing into the throngs of toys, dolls, and gadgets. Jackson rolled his neck back in frustration and just walked to the counter, staring aimlessly at what was behind the display case. He crouched down and scanned the rows until something caught his eye. "Do you have that in black and white?"

"Yeah."

Jackson jumped when he saw BamBam crouched, staring at him from the other side of the display case.  "I'll get it for you."

He pulled out the black and white one before laying it down on the table top, Jackson stared at it, running his finger across it. "I'll take it."

"You know these things can be dangerous." BamBam said while wrapping it up in white tissue paper.

Jackson frowned and leaned against the counter, "I thought they were supposed to be good luck."

"That's what people usually think, but imagine all that negatively bundled up into one materialistic object. Too much dark power in one object." He lilted.

Jackson resisted the urge to roll his eyes and just nodded, "I see."

"It can hurt a lot of people. It has before and it will continue to do so."

-----

"Are you finally ready?" Jackson whined when Mira walked back to the front of the store.

"I don't know where to look, there a pair of eyes staring at you from everywhere." Jackson flinched and glanced  over at her before looking away.

"Aww, you're scared." She sung while setting her basket on the counter.

He made a face while watching her empty out different toys while BamBam scanned each one, "Why are you buying all that?"

"I have my reasons." She said vaguely with a wink while paying out.

BamBam put the toys in a bag and held them out to Mira who, for the first time, noticed the strange hazel green hue to his eyes, "T-Thanks."

"Have a good day."

-----

"I was looking at the map." Mira started as they got into the car, "I was wondering if we could make a detour."

Jackson frowned and looked over at her, "What do you mean?"

"We’re almost there. There's only about 2 more stops until we reach the destination Mark drew on this map. Maybe two more days worth of driving at the most, there's somewhere I want to stop along the way." She said while pointing to the map.

Jackson pulled the car out of the parking lot and glanced at her, "Where do you want to stop that's this far out?"

Mira didn't reply and just smiled to herself while staring out the window, "I'll tell you where you need to go when we get closer."

-----

Jackson pulled up in front of a small bricked house after following Mira's directions. "Whose house is this?"

"My cousin's." Mira said while stepping out of the car with the bag of toys in hand.

Jackson stepped out of the car cautiously, trailing behind her, "Your cousin?"

"We’re very close ever since we were kids. I don't see her as much ever since she moved out here." Mira told him while ringing the doorbell.

Jackson shifted awkwardly on his heels with his hands in his pockets as the door swung open. "Mira!"

"Yoojung!" Mira cheered, her voice bursting brightly and ecstatically as she flung her arms around the woman.

Yoojung laughed, "Come in, come in." She cooed while dragging the girl into the house. Jackson shuffled into the house and kicked his shoes off as Yoojung watched him.

"You're Jackson, right?"

He blinked and looked at her in surprise, "Yeah. Ho--"

"Mira called me a bit before you guys left and told me she was planning on stopping by." Yoojung looked only a year or two older than Mira but there was something in her eyes and embedded under her skin that made her look older.

"Right…um…nice to meet you." He said stiffly.

Mira walked further into the house while looking around, "Where's Kian?"

"I'm right here!"

Jackson and Mira looked up the stairs where a small girl no older than 7 raced down the stairs and clung to Mira. Jackson's eyes widened when he looked at Yoojung who looked like she was barely out of university yet had a daughter of that age.

She rolled her eyes playfully and peeled the girl off of her, "Relax, kid. Your mom is right there."

She stepped back and Mira held the back out to her with one finger, "Here. Throw those old toys out and use these instead."

Kian gasped and took the bag before looking inside, "Mom, there's so much!"

"Mira…" Yoojung said in a warning tone. "You didn't have to do this."

Mira snorted and ruffled Kian's hair, "Go play in the living room kid."

"Thanks." Yoojung said while watching Kian jump on the couch. "Do you two want tea? I'll make you some."

Mira and Yoojung walked into the living room towards the kitchen and when Jackson followed behind, he noticed Mira knock her fist gently against a hanging picture frame she walked past. He slowed down when he passed by the same picture and saw a picture of a young man saluting with a wide grin in an army uniform.

"You two can sit with Kian, I'll be out with your teas."  Yoojung said.

Mira hummed and sat on the couch next to Jackson and watched Kian play on the carpeted ground in front of them. "So, you're basically an adult now, Kian. Have you decided what you want to do with the rest of your life? I hear doctors are the trend with your age group."

"Mmm, I want to be a stunt woman. It looks like a lot of fun." She said while playing.

Mira scoffed, "Do you hear that Yoojung? She's an adrenaline junkie. You need to nip this in the bud." Yoojung's laughter echoed from the kitchen.

"How are your friends at school?" She asked while slouching comfortably against the couch.  

Kian pouted, "A mean girl at school keeps picking on me."

"Oh, I know the feeling." Mira said casually as if she was talking to a friend of the same age, "Did you slap her and tell the to step off?"

"Mom said that I shouldn't curse or use violence." Kian said innocently.

Mira snorted and rested her elbow on the arm rest and leaned her head against it, "Well your mom got picked on a lot as a kid, so what does she know?"

"Um, last I checked, I was the one taking on your bullies." Yoojung called from the kitchen.

Mira looked at Kian, "Well, she didn't do a great job at it. Take it from me, nothing shuts up es like a good whack to the face." 

"That doesn't sound right." Kian mumbled distractedly under her breath. 

Mira let out a quiet laugh before looking over at Jackson. "I knew Yoojung since we were in kindergarten. She's two years older than us, she had Kian when she was 17, married her husban

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter