Chapter 03

Take My Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yah, what did you do again, Kim Taeyeon?!”

“Thanks for the warm greeting.” Taeyeon holds the burning part of her arm that just got hit by Soonkyu. She then realizes the girl standing behind the short girl. “What is she doing here?”

“I’ll explain later.” Soonkyu turns to the officer. “I’m Soonkyu, the one you talked to on the phone just now.”

“Ah, Miss Soonkyu. Thanks for coming down.”

“No problem. What did she do this time?”

“Got into a small fight with the group of people over there.” The officer signals using his chin. “According to them, your friend here pushed one of them and refused to apologize so they ended up in a fight.”

“They were the ones who threw insults at me first! Am I supposed to stay still and just swallow it down like it’s nothing?!”

“Shush,” Soonkyu says to Taeyeon before turning back to the officer. “Are they seeking for compensation or anything?”

“Nope. Don’t worry, both parties have agreed to not make a huge deal out of it. Even though your friend threw the first punch, they retaliated so they’re not exactly right either. It wouldn’t be good for either sides if it gets big. Just sign on these papers and your friend is free to go.”

“Thank you.”

Soonkyu finishes the documents swiftly as this isn’t her first time having to pick Taeyeon up from the police station. The officer checks everything through before letting them go.

Taeyeon gives a last glare at the group of people sitting not far away from them. One of them starts shouting back and Taeyeon was about to walk towards them before Soonkyu stops her.

“Are you trying to get into another fight right here at the station?” Soonkyu pulls Taeyeon with her forcefully towards the exit. “Come. Now.”

“You watch out.” Taeyeon points at the person before following her friend.

Tiffany grimaces at this side of Taeyeon that she has never witnessed before. How can this cute-looking small girl be so aggressive?

Soonkyu lets go of Taeyeon after a certain distance from the police station.

“Seriously, Taeyeon? Another fight?”

“Like I said, they insulted me first. Am I supposed to just let them?”

“You could’ve held it in.”

“I don’t do holding in, Soonkyu. They deserved it.”

“How many times do I have to do this? It’s starting to even scare me whenever I see an unknown number because I don’t know what trouble you’ve gotten into again.”

“Then don’t. You can leave me alone and I’ll live just fine.”

“You know I’m not going to do that.”

“Then stop repeating your words like a broken recorder. I’ve heard those at least a million times.”

“When will you start listening to me then?!”

“I will listen if I feel the need to, okay?”

“Taeyeon, don’t talk to Soonkyu like this. She’s your best friend,” Tiffany finally speaks up after staying silent this whole time.

“No one is talking to you, Miss Social Worker. Why are you even here?”

Tiffany winces at the harsh tone but maintains her composure. “In case you two need any help.”

“I don’t need help!” Taeyeon shouts. “I don’t need help from anyone and I’m fine with the way I am! Don’t you get it?!”

“Taeng, stop. Tiffany’s not here for you to shout at.”

“Then get her to leave, for God’s sake! Stop pestering me and just leave!”

“Fany, it’s getting late. You should go home. I’ll take care of her.” Soonkyu places her hand on Tiffany’s arm. “Ignore what she said. I’ll talk to her,” she whispers.

“Thanks.” Tiffany gives Soonkyu a light smile. She looks at Taeyeon. “I’m not here out of obligation, Taeyeon. I already told you where I’m coming from and-“

“No one cares about your offer. I’m not taking it up.”

“Taeng.”

“It’s okay,” Tiffany tells Soonkyu. “Take care then, Taeyeon.”

Tiffany walks away, leaving the two best friends behind.

“Why did you do that?”

“Do what?”

“Push her away.”

“She’s not supposed to be here in the first place.”

“She really wants to be your friend, Taeng. Can’t you see it by now?”

“I don’t care.” Taeyeon starts to walk away.

I can see it, but I still can’t trust it. No one is that nice. No one in this world is nice besides Soonkyu, Sooyoung and Yuri.

===

Three days went by quickly and Mrs. Kim decides to close Taeyeon’s file. Although Tiffany doesn’t want to give up yet, she knows she can’t be selfish to want Mrs. Kim to let her continue, especially not when it’s not going to succeed anytime soon. Mrs. Kim did tell her that they are not going to just give up entirely on the case, they are going to keep it in the backlog, along with the other unsuccessful cases from the past. Tiffany sighs and reluctantly hands Mrs. Kim Taeyeon’s file.

“There will come a day where we will open this file up again,” Mrs. Kim says, comforting Tiffany. “When that day comes, we’ll let you follow it, okay?”

Tiffany gives a smile small. “Thanks, Mrs. Kim. I’ll get back to work.”

Tiffany goes back to her table and reads through the new case she has just been given, but Taeyeon remains at the back of her mind.

Will you befriend me now that I’m no longer in charge of your case?

Tiffany spins her pen mindlessly.

Will you still be so cold if you know that your case is now close and that I’m not obligated to be around you anymore? Will you be convinced?

She shakes her head and slaps herself lightly on her cheeks.

Stay professional Tiffany. Taeyeon is not the only one you need to help. There are thousands of people who need it too and you are going to help them as much as you can.

She exhales and focuses, letting work take her mind off the cute delinquent she has grown to be fond of.

===

Tiffany enters the dark and noisy place. She starts moving to the beat the moment she hears the loud music echoing around her. I actually kinda miss partying. She looks around and tries to spot the girl she is here for.

It took her five minutes before finding Taeyeon at the bar, ordering a drink.

“Hey.”

Taeyeon turns. “What the- What are you doing here?!”

“Uh, to party?”

“Go party somewhere else if you want to! Stop bothering me!”

“This is the best club in Hongdae. I have every reason to be here, Taeyeon.” Tiffany looks at the bartender. “Six tequila shots please.”

Taeyeon almost lets out a gasp after hearing Tiffany’s order but manages to stop herself from doing so. So your tolerance is good. Never imagined that considering how much of a good student you are.

She looks Tiffany down, realizing then that the latter is wearing a tight black one-piece dress that exudes her body line along with a pair of matching black strapped heels. She swallows unconsciously. You actually look hot like this.

“Stop staring, Taeyeon.”

“I’m not staring,” Taeyeon retorts, secretly glad that the place they are at is dark because she can feel her face flushing. “Seriously, what are you doing here?”

“Like I said, to drink and party. I need to relax too, you know. I’m only human.”

Tiffany thanks the bartender who has just placed her shots on the table.

“How did you know I’m here?”

Tiffany gulps down the shot before on the salty lemon she is holding on her other hand without replying Taeyeon.

“Soonkyu must have told you huh. I should’ve known.”

“Can I offer you a shot?” Tiffany takes two shot glasses and holds one in front of Taeyeon.

“Why should I take it?”

“Don’t be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter