Epilogue

Take My Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tiffany checks her phone again for the umpteenth time that night and sees the still unread message.

“Are you waiting for a call or something?”

“Huh?”

“That was like the hundredth time you’ve checked your phone tonight.”

“Sorry, didn’t mean to be rude.” Tiffany places the device back into her bag. “My friend isn’t replying so I’m just wondering if she’s okay.”

“Taeyeon?”

“How did you know?”

“Only Taeyeon gets you all fidgety like this.”

“You’re starting to know me a little too well, Jess. It’s scaring me.”

“This is just basic, no?” Jessica sips her drink. “We’ve been friends for three years after all.”

“Three years. This disappearing act reminds me of three years ago too.”

“Disappearing act? But I saw you guys video calling just two days ago.”

Tiffany sighs. But she’s not replying. Again. She disappeared again.

“You’re such a love sick puppy,” Jessica says and pulls Tiffany into a side hug. “Come on, drink and take your mind off her for awhile. She’ll be fine. Probably just too busy to check her phone.”

“I hope so.”

===

Taeyeon was supposed to come back during Christmas since she has graduated, but a few days ago, she called Tiffany and said that she wouldn’t be going back yet as she received a great job opportunity that she cannot refuse. Tiffany was angry, she still is, but she has no choice but to accept it. What can I do anyway? Fly to Canada and kidnap her back? Not having Taeyeon with her on yet another festive season is already making her feel annoyed and very much lonely, but for Taeyeon to disappear like this again without a word makes her even angrier than before. The least you could do is accompany me even if its only through a phone. Is that too much to ask for?

Tiffany reaches home and heads for a bathroom straight, wanting to take a shower as fast as possible so that she can hibernate her short holiday away.

She showers quickly and changes to a set of comfortable tee and shorts before climbing into bed. She retrieves her phone that is sitting on her night stand and checks the chat application again.

Are you really that busy with that job offer to not be able to even read the message?

She sighs and thinks about her.

Christmas is coming in two days, Tae. We’re supposed to be celebrating Christmas together since you finally graduated but here I am spending yet another Christmas alone because you’re not coming back. Again. We once said to spend all festive holidays together, but I realized we haven’t done that at all. I was really looking forward to spending Christmas with you this year. How I wish you were here.

She closes her eyes that have been threatening to shut and falls asleep.

===

Tiffany hears the ringing of her doorbell and groans. So much for wanting to hibernate. She is still irritated by the fact that Taeyeon isn’t coming back. Can’t people just leave me alone for now? She turns, ignoring the person at the door. Please go away. Please go away. Please go away.

A minute has passed and the person at the door started knocking.

“Goddammit,” Tiffany curses as she sits up. Can’t I get a break on Christmas Eve? She then realizes what she has just muttered. Great, now I even curse like you.

She drags herself to the door while rubbing her eyes, hoping it will wake her up a little.

“Yes?” She asks as she opens the door with a clearly annoyed face.

“Hi.”

Tiffany rubs her eyes even harder, not believing what she’s seeing.

“You look really cute but you should stop rubbing your eyes, Fany.”

Tiffany stays planted at where she is, still in shock.

“Are you not going to invite me in? It has been a long thirteen hours’ flight and I really need to lie down or else my back’s going to crack.”

“T-Taeyeon?” Tiffany finally speaks.

“The one and only.” Taeyeon grins and opens her arm wide.

Tiffany pushes one of Taeyeon’s arm. “Oh my god, you’re real.”

“Yes I am. Now give me a hug because it’s super cold.”

“Taeyeon-ah!” Tiffany exclaims and pounces on the shorter girl.

“Woah, easy there,” Taeyeon laughs and hugs the girl. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too.” Tiffany cups Taeyeon’s face. “Why are you here?”

“Can I go in first before we talk? I’m cold.”

“Sorry. And of course.”

Tiffany pulls Taeyeon into the living room before going to the kitchen to fetch a glass of water for her.

“Thanks.” Taeyeon takes the glass from Tiffany and drinks. “I see you’re not as sleepy anymore?”

“You have no idea how much I wanted to murder the person who was knocking.”

“I’m sorry. I wanted to wait till the afternoon but I couldn’t.”

“You said you weren’t coming back. You said you got a job offer that is too great of an opportunity to pass.”

“I lied, I’m sorry. I wanted to give you a surprise,” Taeyeon smiles. “It’s the first Christmas I can finally spend with you so of course I will come back.”

“Wait, so there’s no job offer?”

“No job offer.”

“And you’re back?”

“I’m back.”

“For good?”

“For good.”

“Not going to disappear again?”

“Never going to disappear again.”

“You’re not lying?”

“I’m not lying.”

“Wow,” Tiffany says. “Christmas wishes do come true.”

“You wished for me to appear?”

“I wished to spend Christmas with you this year. I wasn’t expecting it to happen since you dropped a bomb on me.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I can’t believe you’re here.”

“And I can’t believe how much prettier you’ve gotten since the last time I saw you. Nice hair color, by the way.”

“This is too cheesy for a morning.”

“I wish I can do this every morning.”

“Okay, stop before I get sick.”

“Even if you get sick, I still wish I can do it every day.”

“You could’ve started three years ago if you never left.”

“I know, but I had to.” Taeyeon smiles apologetically. “But look, I’m back and I have a degree under my belt now.”

“Don’t you dare disappear again, Kim Taeyeon. I expect full attendance from now on.”

“Yes, Teacher Hwang. Student Kim Taeyeon will make sure her attendance is perfect.”

Tiffany laughs. “I missed you and your childish acts.”

“I missed you too. Can I hug you again?”

“I thought you already claimed me as yours so why do you need to ask?”

“Because you never gave me an answer, remember?” Taeyeon pouts. “You said you would consider but you never brought it up again.”

“I thought you would know.”

“I prefer hearing it straight from you.”

“I…”

“Go on.”

“Will consider.”

Taeyeon deflates and sinks into the couch. She shakes her head. “This isn’t what I wanted.”

“Don’t be such a baby.”

Tiffany pulls Taeyeon’s arm, making the latter sit back up, but Taeyeon refuses to budge.

“Fine.” Tiffany sighs. “Yes.”

“Yes what?”

“Yes, I will be Kim Taeyeon’s and Kim Taeyeon’s only. Are you happy now?”

Taeyeon grins and sits up. “Can I give you a hug now then?”

“I wish you would stop talking and start doing already.” Tiffany pulls Taeyeon into a tight hug.

“So you’re the less talk, more action kind of person huh?”

They release each other after a minute, but their arms are still around each other. Taeyeon takes the opportunity and pecks Tiffany on her cheek, surprising the latter.

“What was that for?”

“Less talk, more action right?” Taeyeon chuckles. “I missed you.”

“That’s not how you tell people you miss them, is it?” Tiffany frowns slightly.

“Only you.” Taeyeon smiles. “So not only are you the less talk, more action kind but also the possessive kind huh?”

“Too late for regrets.”

“No regrets at all. I love possessive people.”

“Do not complain one day when you get sick of it.”

“And you can’t complain when you get sick of my cheesiness.”

“Oh, that.” Tiffany grimaces. “At least don’t do it in the morning?”

“You got yourself a deal.”

“I missed you too, Taeyeon-ah.”

They stay at the couch, both not wanting to leave each other’s arms, until Tiffany yawns.

“Go back to bed.”

“Don’t leave in the meantime.”

“Not going to do that.”

“To be safe, I’m taking you with me.”

“Excuses.”

Taeyeon lets herself get dragged into Tiffany’s bedroom. I love having you around again.

“It’s not an excuse. It has happened before and I’m not letting it happen again.”

“It will never happen again, I promise.”

“Still not taking the risk.”

“Fine.” Taeyeon relents. “I didn’t sleep well on the plane anyway.”

“Good. We can both sleep then.”

“Come here.” Taeyeon stretches her arm out, letting Tiffany snuggle into her neck before wrapping her other arm aro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter