Chapter 10

Take My Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hope you enjoy this last chapter!

===

“Good morning, Fany.”

“Good…” Tiffany looks around her and laughs. “Morning?”

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing.” Just funny how I’m saying good morning when it’s actually night time now. “Are you at home?”

“It’s 11pm, where else can I be?”

“A club maybe? It’s your birthday tomorrow, shouldn’t you be out celebrating?”

“Like you said, it’s tomorrow.” Taeyeon huffs as she flips to lie on her stomach. “I’ll go out tomorrow.”

“You have plans tomorrow?”

“Birthday dinner with my classmates.”

“Oh.”

“Why?”

“Nothing.”

“You sound disappointed.”

“I’m not,” Tiffany fakes a chuckle. “Maybe a bit since we can’t celebrate it together.”

“We will soon. Just one more year to go.”

“Sure.”

“Where are you? You’re not at home, are you?”

“How did you know?”

“It’s way too noisy for someone who lives alone.”

“And you’re right. I’m not at home.”

“What’s the plan for today?”

“No plans. Just out looking for food.”

“I see. Want to video call after you get back home? I miss seeing you.”

“Sure.” Tiffany suppresses a smile. I miss you too but I don’t think I need that video call. “See you in a bit?”

“See you.”

===

Taeyeon has been patiently waiting for Tiffany’s call when she hears someone knocking on her door. She frowns and checks the time. Who’s here at midnight?

She opens the door and gasps out loud.

“Hi,” Tiffany greets. She looks at her watch and exclaims. “Happy birthday, Taeyeon!”

“W-what?”

“I said happy birthday, Taeyeon.” Tiffany giggles. “Are you okay?”

“No?”

“There there,” Tiffany pats Taeyeon’s head. “Are you not going to let me in?”

“W-why are you here?”

“To celebrate your birthday with you.”

“W-what?”

“Come on, let me in before we talk.”

Taeyeon steps aside and lets Tiffany enter. She closes the door, still in disbelief.

“W-what’s going on?”

“You look adorable right now.”

“W-why are you here?”

“Like I said, to celebrate your birthday with you.”

Taeyeon reaches out to Tiffany and touches the latter’s face, cracking her up.

“You’re really here.”

“Yes, I’m really here.” Tiffany holds Taeyeon’s hand and brings it down. “Happy with your gift?”

Taeyeon finally breaks out into a huge smile. “Ecstatic. This is the best gift I’ve ever received.”

“Great. Now stay happy for the rest of the day because you ought to.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Wouldn’t be a surprise if I told you, would it?” Tiffany chuckles. “And I wanted to see your reaction. Very satisfying indeed.”

“Do Soonkyu, Sooyoung and Yuri know?”

Tiffany nods.

“And they didn’t tell me? Some friends they are.”

“We planned it together.”

“Leaving me out of plans now? Fine.”

“Don’t start sulking now, Taeyeon. It’s a pleasant surprise, you can’t deny that.”

“True.”

“Now stop sulking.” Tiffany pinches Taeyeon’s cheeks. “You’re supposed to stay happy, remember?”

Taeyeon grins. “How long are you going to stay?”

“Just a week. Would love to stay longer but I can’t exactly take that many days off when I’m still a junior.”

“Good enough.” Taeyeon pulls Tiffany into a hug. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.”

“I hope you’re staying here for the rest of the week.”

“I was hoping you would offer that.”

“Please stay.”

“I would love to.”

“But I only have one bed. Do you mind?”

Tiffany shakes her head. “Do you?”

Taeyeon unconsciously gulps at the thought of sharing the same bed as Tiffany. Will something happen again? But we’re not drunk this time, nothing is going to happen, right? Nothing will happen as long as I keep myself in check. Yes. Everything will be fine.

“I’m okay with taking the couch,” Tiffany says when she sees Taeyeon’s lack of response.

“N-no! I’m okay with sharing. The bed’s big enough for two.”

“Sure?”

“Sure.”

“Okay then.” Tiffany smiles. “Want to know something?”

“What?”

“I actually stood outside for 15 minutes just to wait for the clock to strike 12.”

“What?” Taeyeon laughs. “Are you serious?”

“Yes. Don’t laugh when it was all for you.” A pout.

“I’m sorry.” Taeyeon holds her laughter in. “Sorry for making you stand outside after a long flight. You must be tired. Go take a shower and go to bed.”

Tiffany can’t reject the offer since she hasn’t slept at all on the plane ride and is getting exhausted. “Alright.”

Taeyeon is sitting on the bed with her laptop when Tiffany comes out of the bathroom.

“You’re not sleeping?”

“Soon. Got to finish this assignment so that I can enjoy myself fully tomorrow.”

“Will I be disturbing you?”

“Not at all. Just switch off the lights so that you can sleep.”

“And ruin your eyes?”

“They’re already ruined. Wouldn’t need this otherwise.” Taeyeon taps on her glasses.

“Don’t ruin them further. Leave the lights on. I’ll be fine.”

“Okay then. Sleep well. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight. Don’t stay up too late.”

“I’ll be done soon.”

Taeyeon finishes her work an hour later and exhales in relief. She saves her document and shuts her laptop down, placing the gadget on the table next to her before taking her glasses off. She turns to her side and sees Tiffany who’s fast asleep. I can’t believe you’re here.

She lies down after switching the lights off. She looks at Tiffany with the same silly smile on her face. You’re really here. For me. She reaches out to the latter’s hair lightly. My birthday has barely started but it is already the best one yet. Thank you, Fany. She finally closes her eyes and drifts off to sleep, the smile never leaving her face.

===

“What do you want to do today?” Tiffany asks and puts the spoonful of cereal in .

“I don’t know.” Taeyeon shrugs. “Nothing in particular.”

“But it’s your birthday.”

“I’m not used to having birthday celebrations. It reminds me of how my parents used to celebrate it with me and how happy we were but then I realize it was probably all fake and they were never really happy.” Taeyeon smiles lightly. “I never celebrated birthdays after I turned 7.”

“Oh.” Tiffany bites on her spoon, feeling guilty. She never knew how birthdays remind Taeyeon of the unhappy memories from her childhood.

“I’m okay.” Taeyeon pats Tiffany’s hand. “I think I’m ready to learn how to properly enjoy birthdays from now on.”

Tiffany doesn’t smile, still looking down at her bowl guiltily.

“Hey.” Taeyeon now tugs at Tiffany’s hand. “Look at me.”

Tiffany unwillingly looks up when she feels Taeyeon lifting her chin up.

“I’m happy now and my birthdays will be happy memories from now on. You’ll make them into happy memories for me, right?”

Tiffany finally smiles. She nods.

“Now eat. We have the entire day to play.”

“You have your birthday dinner with your classmates later right?”

“I postponed it.”

“You postponed?!”

“Because I figured someone would want to spend the whole day with me. She did sound disappointed last night when I told her I have dinner plan after all,” Taeyeon teases.

Tiffany blushes slightly and goes back to eating her cereal.

“Anywhere you want to go?” Taeyeon asks.

“I have a list. Thought it would be practical to make use of this trip for some sightseeing at the same time.”

“Good. Give me the list and let’s get some of them crossed out today.”

“But we’re supposed to do things you want to do on your birthday.”

“I like whatever I do if it’s with you.”

“O-okay.” Tiffany feels the incoming flush in her face. Stop making me flutter, Kim Taeyeon.

Taeyeon chuckles when she sees Tiffany. You’re adorable.

“Eat, quick.” Taeyeon pushes Tiffany’s bowl closer to her. “We have a list of things to do.”

===

“That was a fun day,” Taeyeon says and slumps into the couch. “Thank you for a memorable birthday.”

“My pleasure. Now.” Tiffany takes out a box from her bag. “Your present.”

“I thought you being here is my present?”

“It’s not a birthday without an actual gift. I hope you’ll like it.”

“I’m sure I’ll love it.” Taeyeon takes the box. “Thank you.”

Taeyeon opens the box and sees a graphic tablet.

“Holy- Fany?!”

“What?”

“This is too expensive for a gift!”

“Like it?”

“I love it but I can’t accept this. It’s too expensive.”

“You’re worth so much more than this, Taeyeon. Please accept it.”

“Thank you so much,” Taeyeon says, feeling touched at Tiffany’s words. Thank you for thinking that I’m this worthy to receive such an expensive gift from you. I think that means more to me than this tablet. “I’ll use and protect it really well.”

“Glad you like it.”

“Speaking of gift, I have something for you. Be right back.”

Taeyeon runs into her room and comes out a framed picture.

“Why do I get a gift too?”

“I wanted to give this to you on your birthday last year but we weren’t exactly on the best of terms, remember? I kept it with me.”

Tiffany looks at the frame. It is a picture of an illustrated cartoon version on her. Below is Taeyeon’s sign along with the words ‘the best gum I’ve ever had’.

“I was still in my first year when I drew this so it’s not exactly good but I hope you like it.”

“Are you kidding? This is awesome. I love it, Taeyeon. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Thank you for remembering my birthday even when I was still playing cold to you.”

“It’s not something I can forget that easily.”

Tiffany smiles inwardly. How are you always so sweet? How is it possible that I keep falling for you harder the more I know you?

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter