Chapter 6

Love you just the way you are

A few hours later, Yoojin was back from school.

"Hey, guys! How's your day?" she asked cheerfully. With shining eyes, Jackson replied that they went to sing in a karaoke bar and played bowling and recounted their experience in great detail. Seeing his enthusiasm, a smile formed on Yoojin's face.

"Sounds nice. Wish I could join you," she pouted. Jinyoung put an arm around her.

"Don't be glum. We will do it together again next time," he said, flashing her a sweet smile.

"Thanks, Jinyoung," she answered softly, her heart fluttering. He was so lovely. Suddenly, she remembered about what she had to do. 

"Guys, can I have a word with Jinyoung privately?" Yoojin asked. They were grinning at each other, obviosuly excited that they were alone. They nodded and exited the room, leaving just the two of them. Silence filled the room briefly before the two of them spoke at the same time.

"Yoojin -- "

"Jinyoung -- "

"You go first," Jinyoung offered. Yoojin cleared .

"J...jinyoung, w..would you like to go to my school's prom with me?" she asked, looking down at the floor while moving her feet from left to right. She had a bashful smile on her face.

"Oh my god! The crush of my life is asking me out?! This. Is. Awesome! And stop looking so cute. You're making me want to hug you," Jinyoung thought. He felt like doing a victory dance but of course he couldn't do that. It would look weird to Yoojin. However, his face then became clouded when he thought of something. Would it all work out? What if there were some side effects of being human, like he might disappear or turn into a lifeless doll once he did something? Or it was only temporary? Or he had become immortal and they had to live with the fact that they couldn't grow old together? But how could he pass up the opportunity to go out with the girl he had liked since young? And the promise that he would confess to her? Could he also bear seeing her with another guy No. He couldn't hurt Yoojin because of his selfish desires.

"No. I don't even like you," he answered, trying to make his voice sound cold even though it pained him to hurt the person that he loved.

Just like that, Yoojin's earlier nerves faded, replaced by shock and hurt. Even though she had thought that Jinyoung might reject her, it still came as a shock to her. Didn't he like her? So all those times when he showed her care and concern and was just because he only saw her as a friend? And the courage that she mustered to ask him out was all for nothing? As much as it saddened her and made her want to yell at him for playing with her feelings, she didn't blame him. She had perhaps misread his signals. She forced herself to smile at Jinyoung.

"O...oh. Ok, " she said softly, turning away. She wiped away the tears that were rolling down her cheeks as she walked out of the room. She was not going to let anyone see her cry. She was stronger than this. There were worse things than being rejected by the guy that you liked, after all.

"Wait, Yoojin!" Jinyoung yelled, immediately regretting his words. He had spoken too harshly at her. But it was too late. She had already left. He could only stared at the now empty room with a heavy heart.

It was probably for the best...