Ch. 9

Protecting You

~Protecting You~

[Youngjae's POV]


 

I walked out from the class to the Principle’s room with Jaebum hyung. He kept our hands intertwined. I could feel his anxiousness from his holding. That’s why I squeezed his hand briefly. He looked at me. I smiled to him, again, muttering, “It’s gonna be okay, Hyung. We are together.” He nodded.
 
We took a deep sigh before Jaebum hyung knocked on the door and a low voice be heard, signaling us to enter. “Close the door, please,” The principle ordered us. As I walked the last, I closed the door.
 
The principle sat on his chair and mentioned us to take a seat across him. I couldn’t read his expression. Was it angry? Was it pissed off? Was it disappointment? I didn’t know. Jaebum hyung kept holding my hand under the table.
 
“So, I summoned you here because of this.” He pointed the remote to turn the TV beside his table. We all turned our head there. It played the event in the class. It rolled before I came to the class and end with our kissing moment. I felt my face was red and hot of embarrassment. I took a look of Jaebum hyung and the principle. They both stared at each other while I looked down on my lap.
 
“So, I want you to explain the things that happened this morning. Im Jaebum? Choi Youngjae?” he questioned us. From what I heard, Jaebum hyung’s father as the principle was a very strict person, but one of the wisest man also. He never judged students or teachers without listening to their reason. 
 
Junior hyung once mentioned that Jaebum hyung’s father was just like Jaebum hyung who went with the motto “Everything happens for reason”. Judging from what I heard, if we could explain well, he would probably forgive us and if we were lucky enough, we wouldn’t get any trouble.
 
“What happened in the morning was just like the video showed, Sir. Nothing less, nothing more. Chansung was being a jerk…” Jaebum hyung started, receiving a glare from his father as he used unproperly word. “… Uhm, sorry, I mean he was… uhm… I couldn’t find any proper word to describe him. However, I hit him because he said something bad about Youngjae. You knew, Sir. The video showed it all. I just couldn’t stay still, hearing someone badmouthing Youngjae.” He explained. They played staring game and I felt left out.
 
The principle took a deep breath. “I know what he said was bad. But, you could just complain about it to the teacher and let the teacher take an action, Jaebum.”
 
“But, you also know that most of the teachers are afraid of Chansung. They care more about their jobs than defending a student, Sir.” Jaebum hyung argued, starting to rise his tone.
 
“Im Jaebum.” The principle warned him. I squished his hand to calm him a bit.
 
“Still, you must do what student do. We have rule here and you have to follow it.”
 
“Yes, we have rule. But, why you only summoned me and Youngjae, Sir? What about Chansung? He was the first who started this fight.” Jaebum hyung argued.
 
“Hyung…” I mumbled softly. He looked at me briefly before turning around to face the principle again.
 
“I will summon him and his friends also. Don’t worry. Now, I want a clear explanation from both of you.”
 
“Don’t you know, Sir, that one of your students, best student is being bullied by them? Don’t you know?” He said with a mocking tone which making me shiver a bit. It’s not the right tone to talk with elder people.
 
“What do you mean?” The principle asked.
 
“Youngjae, here, is being bullied by Taecyeon, Chansung, and his gang from the very first he was here.” Jaebum hyung told all the stories to the principle. I could only lower my head more and felt a hot gaze towards me. I knew it must be the principle. What I heard was true, he was a good listener. At least, I convinced myself to believe so.
 
I didn’t notice Jaebum hyung finished his story until the principle called my name and I felt Jaebum hyung tightened our hold, “Yes, Sir?”
 
“Is it true? What Jaebum told me?” he asked. I noticed the changed of tone in his voice.
 
“Of course, Sir. I never lied to you. If you stayed at home for a longer time, I could tell you before.” Jaebum hyung said.
 
“Choi Youngjae. You can say it all. Don’t be afraid. Is it true?” he asked again. I nodded my head slowly, “Y-yes, Sir.”
 
“Did it related to your step parents?” he asked again. I lifted my head in surprised because I didn’t think he would know about my step parents. I also didn’t remember Jaebum hyung told him a few minutes ago.
 
“H-how… How did you k-know, D-dad? From the rumor?” Jaebum hyung asked. I could tell he was surprised too.
 
“No. I knew long before Chansung spread the rumor. I know more about this school, Jaebum. I run this school. Even though I don’t always stay here, I always got information wherever I am. I got the information from Mr. Kim, our driver. He told me that you had new friend and you seemed so attached with this kid. So, I told him to searched about you, Youngjae.” He paused. I looked at him deeply, trying to control my facial expression.
 
“However… we must clear some situation.” He said.
 
“W-what situation, S-sir?” I asked him, finding myself gulping an air more than needed.
 
“Youngjae. You know about this school’s rule, right? That student doesn’t allow to work part-time after school? I think Mr. Jang had informed you about all the rules in this school at your very first day.” He explained in soft tone, but enough to make me anxious. I nodded nervously, didn’t know what to answer.
 
“I’ve got some information that you worked as a part-time waiter in one of the coffee shop around here.”
 
“Y-yes, Sir.” I nodded, couldn’t say a lie. 
 
“So, what about it?” Jaebum hyung rised his voice again. 
 
The principle took a deep sigh, “I don’t know, Youngjae. Rule is rule. All of students must obey it, no exception. So, I suggest you to drop the job right now or I am afraid you are no longer a student here.” He said clearly, dropping a bomb on me.
 
“WHAT? Dad! How could you???” Jaebum hyung was furious as he stood up from his seat. I kept my head lower.
 
“Im Jaebum! Mind your voice!”
 
“But, Dad!”
 
“Stop it, hyung!” I found myself shouting. “I-I am s-sorry, Sir.”
 
“So, Youngjae… I want you to think about it and give me the answer as soon as possible. And for the other situation…” he paused. I nodded.
 
“What kind of situation again?” Jaebum hyung snapped. “Can’t you just… Aarrrghhh!” he scratched his head frustratedly.
 
“About you two… your relationship.” As the word relationship came from the principle’s mouth, we both looked at him.
 
“Are you really, Dad? Now, you decided to take attention to my personal life, after all of this time?” Jaebum hyung hissed.
 
“Jaebum, listen to me first.”
 
“NO! You listen to me, Dad! I’ve been good and been obeying to all your wants, wills, and words. I used to be a good son. But, please… I beg you, leave us alone… I-I talk as your son now, not your student. Dad… I really love him. He means the world to me. H-he… Youngjae is the source of my happiness where I didn’t even find in you and mom, in these past years. Please…” Jaebum hyung literally begging now. I didn’t know how to react. I was touched by his words and sincerity.
 
“S-sir…” I found the courage to speak up too. Seeing Jaebum hyung desperately maintained our relationship, I felt I must do something too.
 
I took a deep breath, “About this relationship… I hope you can understand us. I knew that you were ever young and falling in love before. So, please… let us. I promise that we will stay safe and good. I also love Jaebum hyung. He is the first one who stands for me and protecting me. So… I really really hope you can understand us, as our principle and Jaebum hyung’s father.” 
 
Silence was blanketed us. None of us talk again as we waited for the principle to say something. I really hoped I didn’t say something wrong. Jaebum hyung took my hand again. I lifted my head to meet his eyes, he smiled beautifully, muttering, “It’s gonna be okay.” I nodded.
 
A long and nervous silence was over with a long and deep sigh from Mr. Im. “Alright, I won’t invaded to your personal matter. But, knowing this, boys. This is school, not amusement park. So, behave, boys. I better not caught you kissing in the public place in all around this school or I will punish you at that moment.” He sternly said.
 
“And… Jaebum-ah, I would like to talk to you more. As a son and father.” He soften his voice and I could feel Jaebum hyung relieved beside me.
 
“But, Youngjae-ah… you really have to think about the choice I gave, alright?” he said, making me unsure about my feeling again. Choosing between school and job? Both of them were very important to me.
 
As I was dazed around, I didn’t catch the conversation between Jaebum hyung and his father until the principle snapped me out from my day dreaming, “Youngjae-ah… where do live now?”
 
“H-huh? W-what?” He got me startled by his sudden question and the question itself. 
 
“I asked, where do you live now? You live with your little brother, right?” he asked with soft tone. Maybe being a father, not a principle.
 
“Yes, dad. He lives with his baby brother, Jaemin. He was super cute!” Jaebum hyung excitedly said. I looked at him then to the principle, “Y-yes, S-sir.” I paused, hoping the principle wouldn’t ask again. But, of course, it didn’t happen.
 
“So, where do you live, Youngjae?” he asked for the third times.
 
“Uuuuhhh… I… I… live in the orphanage where I was little.”
 
“What? Orphanage? Why you didn’t tell me?” Jaebum hyung snapped. “What happen with the apartment?”
 
“I… I…”
 
“Youngjae-ah… tell us, hm?” Mr. Im took my hand and I looked at him. He ensured me by squishing my hand. At that moment I know that I could trust him.
 
“I… I couldn’t afford the monthly rent. S-so, I m-moved. B-beside, J-jaemin needs f-friend. So… I… back again to orphanage. T-they are very n-nice to m-me. T-that’s w-why… Sir… I… I don’t know how to choose. I-I am s-sorry…” I felt my shoulder being squished by a warm hand and I knew it must be Jaebum hyung. I covered my face as the tears threatened to fall. I was pulled in to a warm emrace. Jaebum hyung was soothing me down.
 
“Youngjae-ah…” Mr. Im called me, but I couldn’t lift my head.
 
“Look at me, son…” he asked. Slowly, I looked at him, trying my hardest to prevent another tears as I wipe it.
 
“Trust me.” he just said that.
 
And after that, I was out from the room, waiting for Jaebum hyung talked with his father in front of the room. My feeling was upside down, mixing one with another. I nervously stood there, playing with my uniform as I thought hard about the choice. Honestly, what choice did I have? Maybe I should drop school, Jaemin was my priority now.
~^^~


So, Jaebum's father wasn' as bad as you think, right?

Sorry, it was short.

I'll try to make the problem solve one by one.

I'll update longer. Promise! ^^~

I hope you enjoy this chapter as well. See you soon! ^O^~