Ch. 3

Protecting You

~Protecting You~


 

“I will protect you. No matter what.” I stated again, making sure he got what I mean. 

 

“But… but… hyung…” he looked hesitant.

 

“Look, Youngjae. I won’t ask what kind of secret that you hide and protect. But, I promise that I will protect you. Can you believe me?”

 

He kept silence for a while before nodding. “Good. Now, let’s get back to the class.”

 

We walked back to the class and Youngjae kept lowering his head. I sighed. I really miss his smile. As I opened the door, the class was suddenly in complete silence. I froze my step and felt Youngjae bumped at my back.

 

“Ow! What the…” he immediately kept his mouth. I bowed to the teacher as I continued walking to our table. And as I sat down, I just realized it that I’ve been holding Youngjae’s hand all the way here. And it hit me hard as I realize what their silence meant.

 

“Oh, my God!” I muttered under my breath as I looked at Jackson who smiled mischievously.

 

“Why, hyung?” Youngjae asked me, innocently. I mentally slapped my head.

 

“Seems like tomorrow you should be ready for a gossip, Jae.” I simply said. He looked at me in horror. I knew what his face means.

 

“No no no. I didn’t mean it as your secret, but it will be about us.” I said sheepishly. I hoped my cheeks didn’t get red as the heat slowly came to me.

 

“Huh?” he still looked at me, oblivious.

 

“Oh, nothing. Forget it.” I said.

 

I paid attention to the lesson for some times before find nothing interesting. I put my head on the table and stared at Youngjae. Finally, I found something interesting.

 

Youngjae was a cute boy and he still has his baby fat on his chubby cheeks. I trailed my eyes to scan his face. From his soft brown hair, to his fangs who hid his forehead, to the beautiful eyes and a mole under his right eye, to his cute nose that form like a heart, to his plump and pink lips, and his cheeks that got pinkish now.

 

“Jaebum hyung…” he muttered my name with his smooth voice. I felt my heart beating faster.

 

“Hm?” I hummed softly, still admiring his face.

 

“You are staring.” He stated without looking at me, but I knew that he was shy as his cheeks turned in to the dusty pink again.

 

“Yes…” I found myself admitted it before I couldn’t stop it.

 

He finally turned his head to me, looked at me in confusion. Then, he smiled. He is smiling. His smile reached his eyes that form a crescent.

 

“Wow…” I let an admiration. He immediately changed his expression, “Huh?”

 

“Nothing.” I said. With so much strength, I finally looked away from him. I could see he shook his head as he let a small chuckled.

 

I looked at him again as I heard a beautiful yet shy chuckle. Youngjae was smiling now, “You should smile more often.” I found my mouth betrayed me again. Oh, ! I think I’m really in love.

 

~^^~

 

The next day I arrive a little bit early at school. I immediately walked to the class, hoping to have some peaceful sleep before the class started. With a loud yawn, I entered the class and found a student with his head on the table. I rubbed my eyes and realized that was Youngjae. Suddenly, my sleepiness was gone and changed with a worriedly mind. I approached him, sitting in my seat. He was sleeping.

 

“Young…” I couldn’t finish my words as I heard he mumbled in his sleep, “No. No. No. Mom. No. Please, come back. No. Don’t go. No. Mom. No. Dad. No. Don’t go. Please. Please… d-don’t g-go… p-please… I… I… No… M-mom… D-dad…”

 

Youngjae was having a nightmare. I watched him as he started sobbing in his sleep as he kept calling his mom and dad. Did his parents related to the secret he hid?

 

I couldn’t bear any more. I shook his body softly, “Youngjae-ah… Jae… Wake up. Youngjae-ah…”

 

He stirred from his sleep as he slowly lifted his head. He looked at me and jumped in surprised as he abruptly whipping away his tears, “!” he cursed.

 

“Hi. Good morning!” I tried to be casual around him.

 

He lowered his head, “G-good m-morning, h-hyung.”

 

“You are so early today.” I knew he didn’t want to talk about his nightmare. So, I turned the conversation.

 

“Y-yes.”

 

“Why are you sleeping here?”

 

“Uhm… My baby brother was sick last night and… and I didn’t get any sleep. And I am afraid that I may miss school if I stayed at home. So, I came early.” He explained. His sleepiness was still clearly seen.

 

“Ah, I see… so, is your brother okay now?” I asked.

 

He nodded, “His fever was gone before I go.”

 

“Have you take breakfast?” I asked him, concern.

 

He looked at me awkwardly, “I… uhm… I…” suddenly his stomach was growling. I chuckled as he cursed again.

 

“Come on. I haven’t eaten too. Let’s go to canteen.” I stood up and grabbed his hand. He looked hesitant.

 

“Why?”

 

“I… I… I am okay. I don’t need breakfast.” Somehow, I had a hunch about him.

 

Suddenly, I remember what Junior said about Youngjae last night. He said that Youngjae worked in the café till late at night. He met him there once. He was struggling for his life. Apparently, Junior did some research about him.

 

“It’s my treat. Come on. I am starving. And I need company.” I said, making him less burden. He looked hesitant, still. I forced him to stand up and dragged him with me.

 

“I know that you are starving too. So, come on!” I smiled to him. He finally smiled back at me, muttering a small, “Thank you.”

 

“No problem.”

 

We arrived at the canteen and immediately being called by my friends.”Hey, JB! Here!” they waved their hands.

 

“They are my best friends. I will introduce them to you. Don’t worry, they are nice kids.” I assured him, tightened my hold in him.

 

“Uuuh… holding hands again~” Jackson teased me. I looked down at our hands. Youngjae tried to pull away as he heard Jackson, but I didn’t let him go.

 

“Shut up, Jack!” I said. Jackson laughed loudly. And I could feel Youngjae tensed around me. His head was lowered again and he scooted closer to me. I looked at him, “Why, Jae?”

 

He didn’t answer me, but he looked at me with pleading eyes. I looked around and found the five bullies were looking at my direction. I sent them a glare and they turned their heads away.

 

“It’s okay. Come here. Let’s order something. I am starving.” I said as I dragged him with me. I felt he stood close to me and I knew that my heart was betraying me again as it went faster.

 

We order the same food and back to the table again.

 

“Hey, Youngjae. I am Mark. Nice to meet you.” Mark suddenly introduced himself as he winked at me.

 

“Uh… oh… hi… nice to meet you too.”

 

“Oh, come on, Youngjae. We’ve been classmate for a month now. I am Jackson.”

 

Youngjae gave an awkward smile at him.

 

“And you’ve known me, right?” Junior asked him. Youngjae nodded shyly. He shook Youngjae’s hand too long for his own good, making me forcefully detached him. Junior winked at me.

 

“Nice to meet you. I… I am sorry. I’m not very… sociable.” Youngjae admitted as he stared down at his food.

 

“It’s okay. Take your time.” I patted his back, getting his attention. I looked at his brown orbs. Damn, this heart! I cursed internally, smiling to him. We eat in loud of chatting before going back to class as the bell rang.

 

~^^~

 

“Hey… I really have nothing to do after school. Can I come over your house?” I carefully whispered to him. He almost fell from his chair as he looked at me shocked.

 

“Oh. Okay. If you don’t want it. I can play by myself.” I couldn’t hide my hurt expression.

 

“N-no… n-no… it’s not like that.” He said.

 

“Then, you agreed, right? Yes!” I muffled an exclaimed. He let a sigh. Even though I noticed it, I ignored it.

 

I couldn’t sit still as I hoped class ended soon. I was so excited to have a walk with Youngjae to his house. When the bell rang, I jumped happily from my seat and helped Youngjae got his book faster.

 

“Guys, I need to go now. Till tomorrow!” I said to the guys who looked at me dumbfounded, dragging Youngjae out with me.

 

As I was excitedly telling him some stories, Youngjae stopped walking. I looked at where his gaze at and found the bullies again. I let a sigh. They really didn’t give up.

 

“You, stay here!” I ordered Youngjae in which he nodded. I approached them. I saw as they slowly approached me also.

 

“What do you want?” I asked them.

 

“It’s nothing to do with you, Jaebum. We’ve got no business with you.” Taecyeon said.

 

“Yeah. Our business is with him.” Chansung added as he pointed out at Youngjae with his head. I turned back for a while, looking at Youngjae who played with his bag’s strap and kicked a rock worriedly.

 

“His business is my business too. What to do with him, become mine. Got any problem?” I asked.

 

“Jaebum, you are too good to be with him.”

 

“Then, why? He is my friend. And I can’t let you bullied him again.”

 

“Friend?Jaebum, do you know who is he?”Taecyeon asked in agitated tone.

 

I began furious as well, “If I do, what did it to do with you?”

 

“Oh, Jaebum-ah… you little boy… listen, he is a son of a criminal. You don’t want to be friend with him. His parents died in accident because they ran away from the police. You should at least know this. I told you this, so you can consider for being his friend. I just don’t want our school’s name is bad because of one boy is a son of criminal.” Taecyeon revealed the truth. I controlled my expression. My heart was dying inside as the secret that Youngjae’s scared being revealed right in front of me.

 

“And then… what? What if he is son of a criminal? He is the son, not the criminal!” I muffled a shout as I lightly pushed him away.

 

“Jaebum-ah… Listen to me.”

 

“No. You listen to me! Youngjae is my friend! And I will protect him, no matter what! If you keep bothering and bullying him, I swear I will take an action as the son of principal!” I shouted out loud at him, enough to gain attention from the other students who passed by.

 

I grabbed his collar and pulled him closer as I stated clearly, “You will be the one who taste hell in this school if you played with him. Understood?”

 

I turned my back and grabbed Youngjae’s hand. He stumbled a bit as he catched my steps.

 

I stopped after we were far enough from school. I took Youngjae by his shoulder as I looked at his eyes, “From now on, I will accompany you wherever you go.” I stated, before hugging him tightly.

~^^~


Sorry for not updating sooner. I was busy with some gatherings.

Hope you like this chapter.

Till next update ^^