Chapter 4

Choice [Hansoon/Soonsol]

Hansol was asleep by the time Soonyoung arrived back home. He entered their bedroom with a heavy sigh. It broke his heart to see his boyfriend when he knew he had to go and leave him behind.

He got a suitcase from under the bed and walked over to their shared closet. He looked at the sleeping Hansol one more time before he started taking his clothes out carefully in order not to wake the younger.

When he finished he went to the living room and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen. He felt like he had to explain everything to Hansol. It hurt him to write everything down and he just wasn't able to fight back a few tears.

He folded the letter and placed it onto the kitchen counter. Then, he went back to the bedroom to get the suitcase. "Soonyoung?" he heard his boyfriend's raspy, sleep-filled voice. The older quickly wiped the tears off his face.

"Hey, why are you awake?" Soonyoung asked softly and walked over to the bed. He knew he should get going but he just couldn't walk out on Hansol like that. "I heard you. What are you doing?" the younger asked.

"I was...just cleaning...", he lied, scrunching up his face. He hated lying, especially to the people he loved. "In the dark?" Hansol questioned. "Yeah...sorry that I woke you up. You should go back to sleep", Soonyoung said. "How did the talk with you parents go?" the younger asked and sat up.

Soonyoung knew he couldn't lie to him anymore. It was wrong to leave him anyway; he should at least be honest about it. "It didn't go too well...", he admitted. "I'm sorry, Hansol..." "What are you talking about? Why are you apologizing to me?" Hansol asked and furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "It's just...I think I'm going to have to leave...", Soonyoung said.

Hansol's sleepiness faded in a flash at his boyfriend's words. "Leave...?" Soonyoung nodded. "I'm sorry", he said again before he got up from the bed and went to pick up his suitcase. "Wait!" Hansol called after him and crawled out of bed quickly. Soonyoung faced him.

"What exactly do you mean when you say you have to leave? Leave me? Where are you going?" "I'm going to live at my parents' place...", Soonyoung said and turned away from Hansol again. He couldn't stand seeing his boyfriend's hurt expression.

"What? Why?" Hansol questioned. The confused tone in his voice broke Soonyoung's heart all over again. He had to leave Hansol if he wanted him to be safe. He didn't want to know what his father was capable of if things weren't going his way.

"I'm leaving you", Soonyoung finally said. He walked out of the room and was almost at the front door when he felt Hansol's arms wrap around his waist. "You promised that you wouldn't! Just this morning you told me that your parents...-", he cut himself off.

"I know...and I'm sorry", Soonyoung apologized. "Won't you at least look at me and be a man about it?" Hansol almost shouted as he let go of his boyfriend. "If I turn around I won't be able to go...but I have to. Goodbye, Hansol", the older said and walked out the door.

As much as Hansol told himself not to cry he just couldn't hold it in. How could Soonyoung just walk out on him like that? Why did he say he wouldn't leave and then pack his bags the same night? He walked to the kitchen to splash some cold water into his face. He still didn't want to believe what just happened.

Hansol spotted a folded piece of paper lying on the counter next to the sink. His name was written on it and he could clearly make out Soonyoung's handwriting so he unfolded it and began reading.

 

Dear Hansol,

I can't tell you how sorry I am. I never wanted to go...but that's the only way to keep you safe. My parents forced me to leave you and they threatened to send me to Australia. My father is furious and I don't want him to hurt you...
That's why I agreed to do as they say. I'm moving back in with them and I'm going to marry my dad's colleague's daughter...

I'm sorry.
I love you

Soonyoung

 

He read the last bit at least 20 times to make sure he had seen it right. Soonyoung was going to get married? To a woman? And what the hell did he mean when he said that he didn't want his father to hurt him?

Hansol didn't know what to think right now but there was one thing he knew for sure: He had just lost Soonyoung forever.