7. It's Been A While Since We Danced

Lets Not Fall in Love

Your phone rang.

‘I’ve got to take this.’ I nodded and wandered back into the house. I took my phone out of my pocket and erased the notifications that told me about his three missed calls. It made me both frown and giggle imagining him in front of the closed door. I would deal with that on Monday.

I saw you look at me from the garden and feeling playful I sent you hearts with my fingers. You raised your eyebrows in surprise and smiled. Happy with myself, I opened the fridge. I could do with some food. Although I wasn’t a brilliant cook, I had been living on my own for the past two years, so I was quite confident I wouldn’t poison the two of us. After putting the ingredients ready on the counter tops, I looked for you again. This time you were stood with your back to me and it looked like you were going to be a while, so I grabbed my phone and scrolled through my play list. Unsure how you would respond to one of your own songs, I picked another favourite and with a little boogie continued to prepare our late lunch.

 

‘Okay, I understand. Yes, I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon,’ I promised my manager. Unhappy with the situation, I glared at my phone after finishing the call but I was unable to come up with a solution. I’d have to do the photo shoot tomorrow. 

With a sigh I turned around. She had disappeared into the kitchen, but the bright sun made it impossible for me to see in to the building. Curious to see what she was up to, I walked back into the house. The smell of food greeted me, but it was her dancing that made me smile. She was terrible at this. No sense of rhythm at all, but it was still strangely fun to watch.

She spotted me almost immediately, but she didn’t look even remotely embarrassed by her dancing. Good, I was happy she could enjoy herself like that.

‘What’s for lunch?’

‘Spaghetti,’ she replied. I walked over, and grabbed her phone from the table.

‘What else is on your play list?’ She appeared next to me, her arm lightly brushing mine as she unlocked the screen for me.

‘Have a look,’ she said. Although there were some western songs on it, the vast majority of songs was unexpectedly K-Pop. When I mentioned it to her, she shrugged. ‘What can I say, I’m hooked.’ Her lightheartedness was addictive and I felt myself grinning at her. If she wanted to flirt, I’d not hold back any longer.

Remembering what she’d said back in the car, I found That XX. As soon as the first notes filled the room, she looked at me from the corner of her eyes and smiled.

I switched off the hob and took her hand in mine.

‘It’s been a while since we danced.’

 

The memories of that first night came back and suddenly I felt overwhelmed with emotions. How unlikely it was that we somehow had ended up here together. My hands in yours, your song and us dancing in a stranger’s kitchen. You, softly singing to the lyrics. It was perfect.

I stared up to your gentle eyes. When the song finished your feet stopped, but your hands held on. For a moment time truly froze. Then you bend forwards and your lips found mine. I closed my eyes.

 

‘Not my best effort, I’m afraid.’ I said moments later, whilst poking at the over cooked spaghetti.

‘Don’t worry about it.’ I loved that you didn’t try to lie and tell me that the meal was anything it wasn’t. ‘Let’s forget about food for now and go for a walk.’ You held out your hand and without a moments hesitation, I took it.

Whilst we followed the path through the trees that had looked so intimidating before, I was happy to just look at you. From this close I could see how long your eyelashes were. I saw some tattoos peak out and noticed again how warm your dark eyes were. You seemed content and so very different from how I’d seen you on stage, that I’d almost forgotten you were an idol.

‘I have to go back to Seoul tomorrow. There is this photo shoot, and…’ Your voice trailed off, and I shrugged despite the slight pang of disappointment that I felt by the thought of having to return to reality.

‘That’s okay, me too. I found a flight that leaves at 7, which will mean I’ll be back in time to go to work on Monday.’ 

‘What do you do?’ I hesitated only a moment, surprised you’d be interested.

‘Advertising.’

‘That sounds interesting, what kind?’

‘Digital mostly, though I sometimes help out with some photography.’

‘You like taking pictures?’

‘I do, but not as a profession. It’s just fun when the image looks good. The people happy, you know.’

‘That reminds me, I want your picture before you leave.’

‘Excuse me?’ I felt my cheeks turn pale from shock and embarrassment. ‘But I… I’m not… I mean I don’t look very good in pictures and… well, why?’ You grinned and stopped. The way the sunlight fell through the leaves, made your hair sparkle.

‘Come on, we’ll do it before the photo shoot… or after, whichever. You’ll look great, everyone would, that’s their job.’ Your excitement got to me and I felt myself grinning. ‘Besides, I don’t want to forget the way you look this time.’