4. Black Cardigan

Lets Not Fall in Love

She was there, I saw her again. For a moment I let my head rest against the window and stared down onto the street. This was the third time this week. Today she was wearing dungarees, over a white shirt with black spots that left her shoulders exposed.

‘You’re not listening are you?’
‘I am,’ I replied.
‘Are you?’ Dae-Sung appeared next to me and looked out of the window.
‘Actually I was, and unfortunately Seungri won the bet.’
‘Music to my ears!’ Seungri did a silly little dance to taunt Dae-Sung, which got him a flick to the head of T.O.P, I smiled. Young-Bae showed up on my other side and also stared out of the window.
‘I know what you’re seeing, and you’re wrong,’ he warned.
‘What? What’s he seeing?’ Dae-Sung asked.
‘Nothing.’ I knew I overreacted when I looked at Dae-Sung angrily and sighed. ‘I wasn’t thinking I saw anything,’ I emphasised and neither Dae-Sung nor Young-Bae pressed the issue. ‘Now, I’ve got to go - photoshoot.’ I smiled as I left. Yes, I didn’t see anything.

Seoul was amazing.
This whole trip had been a blur of amazing things. I realised I liked the culture, started to fully appreciate the food though I was still struggling with the chopstick part. But the butterflies in my stomach didn’t compare to what they were like at the moment whilst I stared at this enormous poster of you. It was my last night here and I was going to spend it at your concert. Hidden in the vast sea of fans, where I could openly stare at you for a few hours, before going back to the other side of the world where I was going to forget slowly about meeting you.
My hands were sweaty and I felt a bit out of place amongst the other fans, most of them were here in groups and they were talking excitedly. I wore your cardigan, and if I closed my eyes I could fool myself in thinking you were hugging me.
It got dark and the introduction video started playing. I screamed with the others when your face appeared. It was really you, it was really you! - Music started and my excitement grew when I recognised Bang Bang Bang. I held my breath until your part. I didn’t scream when you sang. Quietly I allowed the tears to roll freely down my face.

Losing the bet meant that Dae-Sung was doomed to take the most embarrassing role this evening and Seungri was allowed to as much as he wanted - obviously as long as it would entertain the fans. I couldn’t stop laughing when Seungri danced in a suggestive way around poor Dae-Sung, but he really should have known better than to make a bet with the maknae. Overall I would have said this performance was definitely one of our best of the series and I had thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. The encore would finish and take the adrenaline with it, leaving me to feel strangely empty.
As I stood on the stage during the final song, I concluded again that it was definitely an amazing experience when the bright lights came on and I could actually see the faces of the people around me. Their excitement almost palpable and their bright smiles made me feel warm inside.
Whilst I sang, I caught sight of someone that made me think of her. I felt the smile on my face hesitate and I got annoyed. I shouldn’t be thinking about her now. But I couldn’t turn away when I realised it looked like the girl was wearing the cardigan I had left with her. Young-Bae caught my gaze and I winked to make sure he wouldn’t know my thoughts. So what if I couldn’t forget her, was that such a bad thing? I closed my eyes. Let’s pretend it really was her. And whilst I sang, it was for her.

Our eyes met.
Thinking that he recognised me was purely my imagination, I knew that, but for that moment I allowed myself to day-dream. Because tomorrow I would leave.

I went to the YG building that morning. If I closed my eyes I could still feel the thrills of the concert. I held the cardigan in my hands for the last time. I had decided to return it as I didn’t think I’d be able to stick to my resolution of forgetting if I had proof of our meeting. Even though it was still early, there were a lot of people entering the building. I walked up to someone in a suit as he seemed most likely to talk English - in my eyes anyway.
‘I’m sorry, this is probably a strange request, or maybe it’s something you hear all the time, but -’ I took a deep breath, knowing I was rambling on and potentially scaring the stranger in front of me. ‘Could you leave this at reception? It’s a cardigan of Big Bang. I’m returning it.’
‘Ah, yes. Okay,’ the man nodded and with a weary glance he took the bag and walked away from me. Although I knew it would be a bit creepy I watched him until he disappeared into the building.
‘Well… I suppose that’s it.’ I smiled. ‘Goodbye.’

‘Hyung!’ Seungri walked into the studio excitedly. ‘Look what I fou~~nd!’ He sang.
‘What is it?’ Young-Bae asked.
‘It’s from reception. They weren’t sure if they should give this to us as it might be a gift of a fan, but it wasn’t wrapped so they wanted to check if it really did belong to us.’ I raised my eyebrow and Young-Bae shook his head, unsure what Seungri was talking about. ‘Of course I recognised it straight away. It’s your favourite after all.’
‘My favourite?’ Young-Bae asked.
‘No not yours.’
‘Mine?’ I asked confused.
‘Yes, yes, yes. Look!’ He held up a very familiar black cardigan. ‘Isn’t this yours? But I thought you had lost it when we were abroad.’ I felt my heart skip a beat.
‘When did this get here?’
‘This morning?’ Seungri said.
‘No!’ Young-Bae warned. ‘It’s too late now anyway.’
‘I gotta go,’ I mumbled as I ran passed them. He was probably right, I was probably too late. But if there was a chance to see her, I wanted to try at least.