Episode Three

Twenty-One :: A JYP Survival Show
and weaknesses
 
"That was awesome!" TJ's voice merges with the ending of the opening song, and the screen fades in to show him draped over Koda, who's also grinning happily.
 
The two, as well as the rest of the contestants, are milling around backstage, and the faint sounds of applause reveal that the time is just after the final curtain call from the previous episode.
 
"Yeah, everyone did really well, it'll be hard to know who's getting immunity tomorrow!" Seongjun exclaims, bouncing on his feet.
 
Jude makes his way over to the three, who are also accompanied by Hongsol and Do Sanghyun. "Hey, you guys all did great out there."
 
Hongsol grins at him brightly. "You too! You should have told me you were MCing so I could wish you luck properly!"
 
Jude laughs and ignores the kissy faces TJ and Koda start making as he replies. "I was under orders, and it was fun to make it a surprise. You guys did really well out there, I liked how you had Ant rap in your song, it was a good move."
 
Hongsol's warm smile turns to Do Sanghyun, who shrugs modestly before anything can be said.
 
TJ doesn't let him get out of the praise though, as he begins speaking loudly only a moment later. "Yeah, it was all Yeou's idea! He's super smart about that stuff you know. See, he noticed that Ant was upset about being put in the vocal groups so he came up with the idea to have him rap! And it was a seriously awesome idea." TJ is preening like a proud parent, and Jude laughs as Sanghyun ducks his head a bit under the praises.
 
"It's good to see you guys all together again. Anyway, I have to get my microphone back to the tech guys before they start hunting me down. I just wanted to say good job."
 
"I'm sure your wife appreciates you checking in." Seongjun intones impishly, and TJ and Koda laugh while Hongsol turns bright red.
 
Jude chuckles as well, shaking his head as he walks away, leaving the group to their own devices.
 
Nearby, Danny watches the group in silence while Na Sanghyun complains loudly.
 
"And it's just unfair because we got stuck with those two so of course our end product wasn't as great as it should have been."
 
Danny nods but he's clearly zoned out, eyeing TJ and his group. Reito looks over at him, frowns, and then places a hand lightly on Danny's arm.
 
Danny looks over, slightly surprised, and then smiles softly. Reito smiles back encouragingly.
 
Just then, Ash makes his way over, and all four boys call greetings.
 
Ash grins. "Hey guys, long time no see."
 
"Seriously, you've been off gallavanting with Collin since the first challenge. You ditching us for new friends?" Danny's tone is teasing, but Ash's smile is a bit apologetic.
 
"Sorry. He's annoying but somehow endearing, I think you'd like him actually."
 
"So where is he then? Are you only here because he ditched you?" Byunjae pipes up curiously.
 
Ash grins wryly. "Coming from anone else that would be a jab. But nah, I ditched him actually. Thought I'd see how you guys are doing - I've heard rumors about your team specifically." He shoots a teasing glance at Sanghyun and Byunjae who both sigh.
 
As Sanghyun begins to, again, rant about their group, Danny is tapped on the shoulder. He turns in surprise to find Xaris standing behind him.
 
"Hey?"
 
Xaris smiles reassuringly. "Hey. So Soul told me I should tell you that maybe you should go talk with G."
 
Danny sighs heavily. "Eventually."
 
"Now. Boss's orders."
 
"Your boyfriend isn't my boss." Danny's mumble is accompanied with a grin.
 
Xaris rolls his eyes. "I could say so many things about how you always stare at TJ, but I'm more mature than that-"
 
"Are you?"
 
"-But seriously, eliminations are tomorrow. We don't know who will still be around. Go. Now."
 
Danny bites his lip and nods. "Fine, you made your point, I'll go."
 
The scene changes to show the now empty theatre.
 
Collin is sitting on the edge of the stage, staring contemplatively directly at the camera.
 
G comes in behind him and sits down next to him. They're silent for a long moment before G speaks.
 
"Sorry."
 
Collin just shrugs. "I'm upset about Yejun too. I knew it had to be even worse for you when they dropped him - you guys grew up together."
 
G sighs. "Still not an excuse to mope around and shut out the friends who are still in the company."
 
"But I get why you did." Collin looks over with a small smile. "But it's good to have you back. I've had to make a poor substitute of Ash in your absence."
 
G snorts. "You two looked plenty buddy-buddy to me. But if I make it tomorrow I'm ready to put my best foot forward from now on and work hard for everyone."
 
Collin grins as he rolls his eyes. "And there's the sentimental sap I know." Slowly he stretches out and stands up. "Wanna head backstage and annoy people?"
 
G starts to respond when Danny steps onto the stage. He nods awkwardly to Collin, who clears his throat.
 
"Or you can catch up in a minute?" He looks searching towards G, who nods in reply.
 
As Collin leaves, Danny walks up to G. They both stare at each other for a long moment, before Danny breaks eye contact to stare at the ground.
 
"So earlier."
 
G shrugs. "Water under the bridge, if you want. We were both out of line, me moreso if anything."
 
Danny looks up again with a small smile. "Sounds good to me. But I do want to apologize. I of all people know what it feels like to lose a friend and how it can make someone act... out of character."
 
G smiles back. It's soft and it's small, but it's there. Without another word the two boys follow Collin backstage to rejoin the rest of the contestants as they continue celebrating the successful show.
 
The scene goes black as they exit, and large white hangul float across the screen, announcing it's the next day.
 
The light returns to show the twenty one contestants sitting in what seems to be a large lobby. The scene isn't dissimilar to the first one of the show, with most of the boys isolating themselves with their prefered friend groups.
 
JYP strides in through the front doors after a moment, looking uncharacteristically serious. The boys are quick to notice his entrace and fall silent, their nervousness saturating the air.
 
JYP lets them sweat for a minute before clearing his throat.
 
"Before I announce the eliminated contestants, there's something I need to address. Now I don't want to think any of you are behind this, but just in case I must make it known that cheating is not tolerated in this competition."
 
There's an eruption of whispers, which are quickly silenced by a look from the CEO.
 
"Last night while voting was opened, one of our techs caught some suspicious activity. Someone hacked into the system and attempted to upload false votes for one of the contestants. We managed to both block them and trace the IP and learned that this was not the first time the person had done this. The last voting round was unfortunately not accurate. Thankfully we caught this before eliminations began so it didn't result in anyone being eliminated who shouldn't have been. However, if any of you are found to be the owner of the IP in quesiton you will be kicked out. And," He turns to look directly into the cameras, "If the cheater is out there somewhere, know that we're watching you. And if you try again your favorite contestant will be eliminated with no hope of return effective immediately. We do not tolerate cheating here."
 
The contestants are silent, looking from the CEO to each other, one unspoken question ringing clear: who was the contestant?
 
But JYP doesn't answer it as he pushes on a smile and pulls out an envelope. "Now then, on to the eliminations! I'll be listing you from first place down, so when I say your name you may head for the main practice room, where your hosts for this challenged are waiting for you."
 
The tension is back as JYP open the envelope, clears his throat, and begins reading.
 
"Our top ten, starting from the top we have Jude, Hongsol, Seongjun, Ant, Jihyun, Reito, Na Sanghyun, Ash, Danny, and Do Sanghyun. You may leave and congratualtions."
 
Koda and TJ high five their friends excitedly as Hongsol, Seongjun, and Do Sanghyun leave, though Sanghyun glances back worriedly.
 
Danny shoots TJ a pompous look, which is returned with a stuck-out tongue. The rest of the top ten leave without incident and JYP continues.
 
"From there we have Xaris-"
 
"Not even top ten? Seriously?"
 
"Kangjoo, Doc, Byunjae, Koda, and KimQ. You may also leave."
 
The six file out, shooting nervous looks over their shoulder.
 
Koda goes out last, staring at TJ with distinct fear. TJ shoots him a grin, which turns shaky as soon as Koda exits completely.
 
JYP regards the five in front of him. "Now then. You five scored lowest in this week's voting. So we'll begin with last place. Soul."
 
"What?" Soul looks livid, his fists clenched. "Seriously? After everything I-"
 
JYP cuts him off with a look. "You'll get an exit interview to express your feelings, for now there are other contestants waiting for us to finish so they can start on their next challenge. You ranked last, you're out."
 
Soul's eyes remain narrowed, but they turn to the floor.
 
"In second to last we have TJ. However, due to your team winning the first challenge, you are immune this round. As such, you are safe despite your ranking."
 
TJ stares blankly at JYP as the CEO continues.
 
"Third to last, Collin."
 
Collin's mouth drops open in surprise, but he holds his tongue, allowing JYP to make the final elimination.
 
"And because TJ was safe this round, the last elimination will be our eighteenth ranked contestant, G. Now, Noheul, TJ, you can proceed to the main practice room with the rest of the contestants."
 
Noheul takes pity on the still stunned TJ and gently pulls him out of the room, leaving the three eliminated contestants with JYP.
 
The CEO smiles warmly at the three. "Now before you get too upset, there will be a chance for you to come back, so keep practicing hard, alright?"
 
The three nod and slowly head for the exit.
 
The scene cuts to a clear area outside the building. The interviewer is standing with an angry Soul, holding out a microphone.
 
"How do you feel about being eliminated so early?"
 
Soul huffs out angrily. "Pissed. I'm one of the best vocalists in the group but because I got stuck with tweedles dumb and dumber I ended up with the short straw.
 
There's a shift to show G, pondering the same question. "Honestly I sort of expected this. I've been... distracted because of some personal things that happened right before the show started, so I haven't really been putting my best foot forward. Hopefully I'll get a chance later to correct my mistakes, but for now I accept the decision."
 
Collin is staring awkwardly at his feet as he answers. "I... I guess I'm still in shock? I dunno, I wasn't really expecting it to happen so early I just... I don't really know what I'm feeling?"
 
"You're extremely awkward in front of a camera when it's just you, huh?"
 
"Oh shut up."
 
The interview goes back to Soul as another question is asked. "So you will get a chance to possibly get back on the show later. Do you think you can make it?"
 
Soul's nod is vicious. "Absolutely. I haven't had a chance yet to show what I can do. No more Mr. gives-up-his-lines-for-the-greater-good."
 
G smiles slightly. "I do hope so. I didn't really get a chance to show who I am, and I regret that. Hopeully everyone will give me a second chance."
 
Collin blinks a few times before replying, still awkwardly shuffling his feet. "Maybe? I mean I didn't even expect this. I don't really know what to expect anymore. But I guess you have to stay positive if you don't want to go crazy. I just... I don't even know. I'm sorry."

The cameras focuses in on the main practice room, just as TJ and Noheul walk in. TJ seems to be recovered from his shock, though he does still look a bit pale. Noheul hovers nearby as Koda grabs TJ and clings to him.

TJ laughs breathlessly. "Dude I was immune this round, what's with the clinginess?"

Koda steps back and grins as well. "Oh right, I totally forgot about that! I was so worried you might have been eliminated and we haven't even gotten to do anything together yet!"

Noheul watches the cheerful interaction suspiciously, but the moment is cut short when the door swings open and four new figures walk in.

The new arrivals are easily recognizable: 2PM's Nichkhun leads the group, followed by Wonder Girls' Yeeun. Behind them are Jackson from Got7 and Momo from TWICE. The four make their way a little to the right of the door, and eighteen sets of eyes follow them silently.

Yeeun clears , though it's uneeded as the room is already dead silent. "Well then, I guess we'll start by announcing that the winning group from last night's performances were the dancers. Koda, Jihyun, KimQ, Ash, and Seongjun, you five will have immunity next round."

Jihyun grins. "Two for two, not bad."

Ignoring the annoyed looks some of the other contestants are giving the dancer, Yeeun continues speaking. "Second and most importantly, we have your next challenge."

That brings attention right back to the group. Nichkhun picks up the expanation once all eyes are back on the four.

"The next challenge is to improve your confidence and stage presence. Each of us will be selecting a team and working for the next few days to overcome this challenge in different ways. Does anyone have any questions?"

When the silence remains Nichkhun nods.

"Alright then I'll start. Little J, you're with me."

Jude grins wryly at the nickname. Yeeun waits a moment, and then clears .

"Ant you'll be with me." She looks to Jackson, who quickly makes his pick.

"I claim Hongsol!"

Momo takes a lot longer to choose, chewing her lip uncertainly before finally speaking when Jackson nudges her. "Um, Koda."

Nichkhun doesn't hesitate. "Reito."

The relay is fast-forwarded from here, each time Momo hesitates before each of her choices, while the other three seem to know exactly who they want. It slows down just as Yeeun smiles at Noheul.

"And looks like you'll be with us. Alright guys, Momo's team is using this room but the rest of you get over here so we can head out and start brainstorming!"

After a minute of scrambling, the room is suddenly very empty. Momo stands awkwardly near the door, staring at Koda, Danny, Doc, and Xaris, all who stare back.

After a moment of silence that feels much longer, Koda claps his hands.

"Okay! What are we doing?"

Momo seems relieved for the tension breaker. "Um, I thought since it's about confidence onstage, doing a girl group dance would be good!"

All four men in the room look distinctly unimpressed. Xaris speaks first.

"Um, no offence Momo, but we're guys. Real guys. If you wanted someone to do a bunch of cutsey girly dances you should have asked Byunjae or Jihyun, they thrive on that stuff."

Momo frowns sadly. "Oh, but I thought, since this is supposed to be about confidence-"

"We could do cool dances, or y dances! That's confident!" Koda suggests brightly.

Doc rolls his eyes. "I'm not dancing. I don't dance."

Momo tries to get the attention back. "But guys-"

But the group has completely dissolved now.

Xaris is nodding at Doc's anti-dance proclamations while Koda loudly whines about the awesomeness of dancing, and Danny snaps back at him unintelligebly.

Momo looks around desperately, before taking in a deep breath and all but screaming, "QUIET!"

The four boys stared at the tiny girl in shock, falling silent immediately.

Momo quickly speaks, her tone firm but high. "Okay, so I'm in charge of this group and our task is going to be doing a girl group dance. You can help or you can sit around complaining, but one of those two options will probably get you eliminated so pick carefully."

The boys stare for a long moment before Xaris sighs in resignation.

"Fine boss lady. What song are we doing?"

Meanwhile, Yeeun's group pulls up to the theatre from the previous day's performance in one of the company vans.

Ant, TJ, Seongjun, Byunjae, and Noheul all file out of the van behind Yeeun and stare at the building.

"We're working here?" Seongjun is the first to ask as they walk towards the main doors.

Yeeun nods briskly. "It has the best acoustics of all JYP's buildings, and we're going to be singing. So yes, we're working here."

Ant and TJ exchange a look. "Singing? Ma'am, I'm, I mean what if someone might not exactly be very good at singing?" TJ pipes up.

Yeeun smiles. "Don't worry, everyone will have a part they're capable of, but this entire challenge is about doing things you're not necessarily comfortable with. And so, beyond just singing, we're going to be singing accapella!" As she finishes talking she pushes open the doors to the main stage.

The five boys following her share a look before entering the theatre.

Seongjun speaks first. "So do you already have a song chosen noona?"

Yeeun nods as she ushers all of them up onto the stage. "Yep, and I have your parts too. Noheul."

He perks up at his name. "Neh noona?"

"You're a fast learner, right?"

He nods eagerly and she smiles. "Great. You have the next few days to learn how to beat box!"

Noheul's face falls bit and he worries at his lower lip with his teeth as he nods, accepting the assignment.

Yeeun smiles, "Great! Now Byunjae and TJ, you two will be doing the harmonies - Byunjae on the low part TJ on the high. Seongjun you'll mostly be harmonizing as well but you'll get some time on the melody around the end when our main singer Ant is doing the adlibs."

Seongjun and Ant both start to protest but Yeeun waves them down. "Now I wouldn't give you those roles if I didn't think you could handle them. They key will be to get your courage up and do your best. Now let's get started!"

Jackson seems to have as much energy as Yeeun as he parades his group of four into their own dorms.

Hongsol, Do Sanghyun, KimQ, and Kangjoo look around in confusion.

"What are we doing here? If you don't mind my asking?" Kangjoo asks, continuing to eye the familiar room warily.

Jackson grins innocently. "Well, I was thinking about the challenge, and decided we're gong to be focusing on the 'presence' part of it, since so far you four have been preeeetty quiet. I figured if we practiced somewhere you were comfortable with, you'd be more open to doing some things you wouldn't normally."

The four continue to watch him uncertainly.

"Like what, exactly?" Kangjoo continues to be the spokesperson for the group, and Jackson grins.

"Like variety! Variety shows are an idol's life blood, and the louder you are the better it is! And you four need to work on your volume."

"You don't have to scream to still be heard." KimQ offers softly, and Jackson's grin seems to get even wider.

"And you'd know that well Kyu, wouldn't you? But it's time for you, for all of you, to get some credit for your actions! And so I come to our main topic of what we're actually going to be doing. And for that I turn to my lovely assisant!"

"Excuse you pretty boy, you'd be lucky to assist my foot. I think we both know who's wearing the pants in this partnership." The voice comes from the direction of the main hall, and the four boys look over in surprise while Jackson just laughs and waves.

"Hey Amber, good to see you too!"

The one and only Amber Liu is standing in the hall, and she laughs at the contestants as they continue to gawk.

"I see you're not giving me much to start with Jackie. You owe me big time. Alright you lot, who's ready for some good old-fashioned comedy boot camp?"


The scene appears to be an office. Nichkhun, Yeeun, Jackson, and Momo are all standing in front of JYP, who sits in a chair behind a desk.

"Status report. How are your teams doing?"

Nichkhun speaks first. "Well sir, my team is ready to start filming. Since we're doing something a bit more unconventional, I'd appreciate if the next few days could be exclusively footage of my team. I did warn them we wouldn't win this round, but I'd still like to give them a fighting chance."

JYP nods and looks to Yeeun, who clears lightly before begining.

"My team was hesitant at first, but they're all mostly good friends so they've been great about encouraging each other, and of course Noheul is giving Ant and TJ especially some great vocal pointers. TJ is being particularly loud, but I'd say he's likely just a bit shook up from almost being cut last round. They'll be ready to perform by week's end, I have no doubts."

Again JYP nods and turns to Jackson, who grins.

"Amber is being a handful, but the contestants are actually really open to working with our ideas, and Kangjoo especially is big on offering his own. KimQ is coming out of his shell too - yesterday he made a suggestion without it being subtle and unnoticable!"

JYP smiles faintly and looks to the final person in the room.

Momo doesn't look nearly as content as her three sunbaes. "It's a mess sir. Koda is at least learning the dance, though he complains about it being a girl dance at least three times a day. Xaris is... he's doing something. He's been extremely distracted and I have no idea what's wrong with him. Danny I think is trying, but he's just a bad dancer. And Doc isn't even pretending to care! I can't work in these conditions sir."

JYP frowns when she mentions Doc, but he waves his hand dissmissively to her final concerns. "Then learn. Your performance is due in three days and you've had three days already to work on it. It's your team, you figure it out. Thank you for the updates and you're all dismissed."

The scene dissolves to a cafeteria, where the eighteen remaining contestants mill around, eating and chatting as they wait for their team leaders to return.

Danny and his group, including Ash for once, are sitting at one of the center tables.

"He's seriously not causing arguments?" Na Sanghyun looks at Byunjae in flat shock as the other chews on his lunch.

Byunjae shrugs. "I think it's just Doc who pisses him off, Noheul is actually really nice, if kind of protective. It's been fun working with them!"

Danny frowns. "Protective how?"

Byunjae shrugs and takes another bite of his sandwich. "Like, he's always checking on TJ, it's weird. TJ's obviousy fine, he's being loud and crazy as always but Noheul seems convinced he's not okay. But our piece is really coming together well! How about you guys, how are your groups?"

Danny grimaces. "Mine's a piece of work. I think you might be right about Doc just rubbing people the wrong way, he's pissing me off. It's like he doesn't even want to be here! And then Xaris is obviously out of it but I can't fault him. Soul and him were inseperable for as long as I can remember, it's got to be a serious gut-punch to lose him in the first round."

The table falls silent at the indirect mention of the eliminations. Ash in particular looks pained.

After a moment the dancer speaks, softly. "It's not fair. If Collin had just gotten a few more votes he would have been completely safe this round. He was part of the winning group, but instead he was kicked out. I mean, I don't think anyone else should have been eliminated either it's just..." He trails off, and everyone nods quietly.

"It ." Reito sums up, and the group looks over at him in surprise.

He shrugs awkwardly. "We work on language. I learn some tricks from hyung." He says by way of explanation.

Nearby Jude is explaining the same thing to Hongsol and his group of friends, along with, oddly enough, Ant and Noheul, both of whom are watching the conversation unfold as if from an audience.

"Nichkhun was like Reito when he first debuted, so he's mastered the art of figuring out sentence meanings from just a few words and facial expressions. So he's been teaching us, since we'll be meeting plenty of foregin fans if we debut."

Do Sanghyun tilts his head. "What part of the challenge does it fall under?"

"Confidence mostly. Plus, being able to communicate with most fans is definitely useful as well."

TJ nods thoughtfully. "True enough, you'll have to teach us those tricks when you're done!"

Jude grins and ruffles his hair idly. "Sure thing kid."

TJ sticks his tongue out before laughing. Koda giggles as well before ruffling TJ's hair jokingly, earning a whine and a swatted hand for his troubles.

Xaris watches the group mess around from a few tables down. He sighs and continues idly poking at his own untouched food. He's so absorbed in staring at nothing he doesn't see KimQ walking up until the other sits down next to him at the table.

"Want to talk about it?"

Xaris jumps, then settles again when he sees who the intruder is. "Not really. But I'll have to eventually, won't I?"

KimQ doesn't say anything, simply tilting his head in response.

Xaris sighs. "You're weird Kyu, you know that? Really weird. But... you're right. I should talk about it. I'm not doing my best for this challenge and it's not fair to my team. It's just, he told me he was worried about possibly being eliminated because of his group's atmosphere right before that show. And I told him there was no way. No way someone with his talents could get cut. And yet." He sighs and pushes his tray away, grimacing. "It makes you realize no one is safe. Haesol consistently ranks at the top of our monthly evaluations. If this wasn't a survival show there's no way he wouldn't be debuting. But now he'll have to keep waiting while kids like TJ and Na Sanghyun who don't have half his skill keep going." His hand is in a fist on the table but he doesn't seem to notice.

KimQ touches his arm softly, carefully. "What happened isn't something we had control of. Lingering on it will only hurt you and the peple around you. Focus on now. When the show is done there will be time for anger."

Xaris barks out a laugh. "You sound like frigging Yoda. But yeah. I'll try." He looks over almost reluctantly. "And thanks."

KimQ shrugs and smiles. "Of course."


Nichkhun is standing in what appears to be a classroom, facing his group.

With him are several recongizable faces, including Mark from Got7, Sana and Tzuyu from TWICE, as well as Lay from EXO for some reason.

Nichkhun notices the contestants eyeing Lay with confusion, and he laughs lightly before explaining. "He's on loan from a friend in SM, so be nice to him guys."

"I promise I don't bite." Lay adds cheerfully, and the atmosphere relaxes.

Nichkhun takes the attention back as he announces what exactly they're doing. "Alright, so for the past few days you've been studying the basics of several languages as well as body language. Today we're going to see how much you've picked up from these studies. If you pass, you'll have the next few days to rest and relax. Or go bother the other teams I suppose, no one would stop you." He smiles cheekily before continuing. "Each idol up here is in charge of a language, including myself. Mark will of course cover English, Sana will be Japanese, Tzuyu will speak in Mandarin and Lay has agreed to represent Cantonese for us. I'll be speaking in Thai, and for Reito I'll do some Korean as well. Everyone understand?"

While he's been speaking, Sana has been repeating everything he says in Japanese for Reito, who's eyes blaze with determination as he nods.

Nichkhun gives the youngest competitor a smile before nodding. "Alright then, here are the rules. One person here will point to one of you and shout something. You have ten seconds to respond appropriately either with your limited vocabulary or a physical response. Clear?"

"Clear!" The group choruses, and they all laugh while the guest helpers look confused.

"It's an inside joke from earlier, and it'll take too long to explain." Nichkhun says. "Now then, let's begin! Lay, as the invader you may start."

Lay rolls his eyes good-naturedly at the jab as he points to Jihyun, who grins and leans back in his chair.

Korean translations appear along the bottom of the screen as Lay speaks, so the audience knows what he's saying. "I loved your performace yesterday! How did you do it in just two days?"

Jihyun's brow furrows before he blurts out. "Thank you, we work hard!" It's heavily accented, but Nichkhun approves the answer with a nod and Jihyun nods confidently, earning mostly amused eye rolls from his teammates.

Sana wastes no time taking the next turn as she points to Jude. "Oppa you're so cute, I'm a huge fan! I'll definitely support you to your debut!"

Jude focuses carefully through the sentence, and when Sana finishes he smiles, and then stands up to pull her into a hug. "Thank you very much!"

Sana is bright red and grinning hugely when Jude steps back and reclaims his seat.

Nichkhun is barely containing his laughter. "Well played Little J, you're quite the charmer there. Definitely pass."

Mark takes the next turn and points at Reito, who in a breath and furrows his brow in concentration before Mark has even begun to speak.

"You're pretty talented for a kid." Mark seems to contemplate adding something, but he takes pity on the tense boy and leaves the sentence quite simple.

Reito takes a shallow breath before smiling brightly up at Mark, nearly lighting up the room with happiness.

Nichkhun nods. "I'll take it, it's a solid response to a compliment."

Reito visibly deflates in relief, his smile now smaller but just as bright.

Tzuyu looks over at Nichkhun, who nods for her to go ahead. She smiles shyly at Ash, who returns it with a supportive one.

"I really like your dancing, and I think you're pretty handsome."

Ash looks slightly surprised when 'handsome' is said, and his pink cheeks and shy smile, accompanied by a slightly mispronounced "you're very pretty." are given a pass and a bit of teasing from the group leader which has both Ash and Tzuyu blushing.

Nichkhun locks eyes with the one remaining member of the team: Na Sanghyun. The teen looks extremely uncomfortable as Nichkhun opens his mouth to begin.

"So are you and Byunjae really best friends, or is that just a show for the cameras?"

Sanghyun stares wide-eyed at the leader. "Byun..." He trails off, clearly not understanding the question.

"That's ten seconds. Sorry Sanghyun, I know Thai was really tough for you, it you got it first." Nichkhun doesn't look very sorry though as he goes back to addressing the rest of the contestants. "Alright then, you've done one language, but you still have four more!"

The scene fastforwards, showing the boys responding - or in some cases awkwardly stumbling into a failed answer. A scoreboard fades into view on the screen, showing each contestant's name and how many passes they recieve for each language.

A time stamp notes that three hours go by, and by the end a total of 100 rounds has been played - 4 tries for each language, for each contestant.

Ash ranks the highest, with a perfect score for Mandarin, two out of four for both Japanese and English, and a one in Thai and Cantonese.

Jude comes in a bit below him with a two out of four in everything but Thai, which he only has a one in.

Na Sanghyun comes in third despite having nothing for either Thai or Cantonese, as he scored perfectly in English, three out of four on Mandarin, and one for Japanese.

Reito pulls in fourth with a three out of four for Korean, and a one in the other categories.

Jihyun managed a two out of four in English, but only received a one for the other languages. When the scene refocuses on the five as they exit the room, he's complaining loudly.

"I know Japanese really well, that was rigged! I'm serious!"

The others just laugh.

"Whatever you say Jihyun." Ash seems to be on a high from his victory as he nearly floats down the hall. "Gosh I can't believe I figured out Sana was saying 'dance steps' in that last round, you would have had me otherwise, you were doing crazy well." He adds to Jude with a wide smile.

Jude returns the look. "Nah, I messed up. I know the Thai word for support and I still blanked on that second round with Nichkhun. It'll just take practice."

"That was so muc fun though!" Despite his middle standing Sanghyun seems quite pumped up as he practically bounds down the hallway. "I actually knew stuff! I mean, I've studied some English but it's not like I'm actually good at it or anything!"

"Oh la-di-da for you." Jihyun grumbles, clearly still sore over his loss.

Reito pats his arm reassuringly but Jihyun just storms away.

The others shrug at the youngest, who smiles back. Jude then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a wallet.

"So I have some spare cash. Anyone up for celebratory ice cream?"

The four head off, chatting loudly and excitedly. The scene then fast forwards through the lobby, showing poeple coming and going, until three days have passed.

The scene changes to show the JYP theatre. The four group leaders are standing in front of JYP himself, who's sitting in the theatre which is crowded with fans. The front section is blocked off for the contestants to sit in, and several security guards keep the fans from getting too close to the front.

"Are you all ready to present?"

The four group leaders nod, some with more certainty than others.

"Alright then. I believe Jackson's group filmed a skit, so we'll be showing that first."

A screen rolls down over the curtains, and the theatre goes dark. The fans quickly fall silent as the skit being to play.


(Hongsol:Brown Robe       Kangjoo:Suit       Do Sanghyun:The Guy who talks the most       KimQ:Bowl Cut)

Once the laughter has died down the screeen rolls back up and JYP nods to Momo, who nervously signals to the sound technicians.


(Koda:Longer Brown Hair       Danny:Short Hair       Doc:Blonde       Xaris:Red Hair)

The applause goes down again after a few minutes, and Yeeun smiles as her group walks out onto the stage. and take their positions in the spotlights.


(TJ:Blond       Ant:Main Singer       Noheul:Beatboxing       Seongjun:Sings the ending part       Byunjae:Low Voice)

The five climb off the stage and are greeted by the other contestants. Everyone is congratulating each other in excitement as JYP himself stands up and takes the mic.

"Attention please! Now, we thank you for coming to this informal event. The episode with these performances will be in tomorrow's episode of Twenty-One along with several scenes showing all the hard work that went into them, so we hope you'll watch and vote! Thank you everyone and goodnight!"

( AUTHOR'S NOTE ) Haha these just keep coming! You guys give great inspiration! And again I'd like to give a little shout out to the awesome apply story Do or Die, you guys are seriously missing out if you don't check it out!
 
Moving briefly to a more serious matter, there does appear to have been some cheating amongst the voting this round, and you know who you are. If you try again I will, as JYP stated, eliminate your character with no hope of participating in the rescue rounds. It's harsh, but I won't tolerate cheating and I'm sorry :(
 
Also on voting: Guys! Vote! There were significantly less votes this round and every vote really does count, so if you want to make sure someone doesn't get eliminated next episode be sure to get your vote up by this Saturday!
 
And we'll end with the episode poll: